Sticky Pics

Started by Witness, May 24, 2005, 01:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witness

No, not that kind you perverts.

Is there any way pictures can be made to "stick" so that if you're one type of character in one game, and another in another game, you can have two (or more) different images that remain?  For instances, I am in two games, in which my characters look nothing alike -- but when I go from one to the other, if I change the avatar for the second game it changes on other boards as well.

Does that make any sense?

Amberghylles

I know that Liliac has a character manager on her to do list, which should allow names and pics that stick for different characters in different games.  Till then, I'm afraid there is not a way to get your avatar pic to do that.  Any change to your pic/signature/etc will retroactivly change on all your posts.

Witness

Well, at least it's in the works.  Grazzi.

Lilac

It's rather unfortunate that these forums were designed for a community, rather than pure roleplaying like RPoL or PlayByWeb.  Vekseid and I didn't have the time to duplicate such a task and be confident in its security, so we went with the next best thing - a well written and well supported, free forum.

The character manager is something that's being approached rather slowly since interfering with the way posting works is a bit delicate.

Lyria

Another thing you can do is post the pic with in the post as well, like I did above. I have done that for several of my character bios. just use the tags with the URL of the pic in between. You have to find somewhere to host the pics, but there are lots of places on the net to do that :)
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

Witness

Lilac

Quote from: Lyria on May 24, 2005, 04:06:38 PM

Another thing you can do is post the pic with in the post as well, like I did above. I have done that for several of my character bios. just use the tags with the URL of the pic in between. You have to find somewhere to host the pics, but there are lots of places on the net to do that :)

You can also just 'attach' the pic, if it's small enough.

Silk & Steel

How small is small?

Another suggestion is to just put the pic in the bio section of the game - and then put a link each of your posts to click back on the bio - it would save bandwidth to do that way.

And Lilac, I for one find that not having a character manager is not a big deal. I think the forums work great as they are. I like the fact that if I want to a do a little one-on-one all I have to do is open a thread, and not go through the whole process of creating a whole game. I would hate to see the admin get too much and hacking to great for you to continue to support this site. So my vote is do what you think you can do, don't over extend yourself, have fun, and don't sweat the small stuff (like character managers).

Cheers,

Lilac

I just set it to 512 kilobytes.  You can see the option if you click on the 'Additional Options' deal.