Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Chris Brady

I will also endorse Child of Light, it's a gorgeous little game, fully worth the $15 asking price.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Drake Valentine

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 01, 2014, 08:56:27 PM
Playing through Wild Arms 1-5.

Assuming original 1 on classic PS1 cause remake sucked.

Edit: Or I might be thinking of Wild Arms 3.. Not sure which one.. But I know they did a remake of one out of the earlier 1-3 which sucked. >_< Might of been 3. I remember the characters being the bounty hunter dude that had a trench coat, the girl, and some guy that had a red jacket and sword.. Think he had blue hair too. But again the remake sucked.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Hemingway

Ni no Kuni. I know I'm late to that party, but man is it good.

Also, Shadowrun Dragonfall. It's a great game, vastly better than Shadowrun Returns. I mean, it's worth getting ( if you're a fan of turn-based RPGs ) just for the core campaign. The modding potential for which the game was built is just the icing on the cake. Also, it's cheap. There's that.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Drake Valentine on May 02, 2014, 12:16:31 AM
Assuming original 1 on classic PS1 cause remake sucked.

Edit: Or I might be thinking of Wild Arms 3.. Not sure which one.. But I know they did a remake of one out of the earlier 1-3 which sucked. >_< Might of been 3. I remember the characters being the bounty hunter dude that had a trench coat, the girl, and some guy that had a red jacket and sword.. Think he had blue hair too. But again the remake sucked.

You're thinking of Wild Arms Alter Code: F

Drake Valentine

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 02, 2014, 01:58:12 PM
You're thinking of Wild Arms Alter Code: F

Sounds about right.

Was there even one for the PS3? I think the last one was 5 and it was on PS2, wasn't it?

Feels like a lot of classic RPGs fell off the PS3 franchise or off the franchise altogether. Wild Arms. Front Mission. Arc the Lad.  Grandia(sp?) *Will think of others later.*

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Oreo

Quote from: Hemingway on May 02, 2014, 09:21:31 AM
Ni no Kuni. I know I'm late to that party, but man is it good.

Also, Shadowrun Dragonfall. It's a great game, vastly better than Shadowrun Returns. I mean, it's worth getting ( if you're a fan of turn-based RPGs ) just for the core campaign. The modding potential for which the game was built is just the icing on the cake. Also, it's cheap. There's that.

I loved that game.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Frost

Playing Lego: Marvel Super Heroes... it is funny and a damn good play :P

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Frost on May 04, 2014, 01:12:55 PM
Playing Lego: Marvel Super Heroes... it is funny and a damn good play :P

the lego games are really good tbh

Nachtmahr

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 1-2. Both games are a lot of fun to play, and they have a rather decent story between them. (Any oldschool Castlevania fans who cringe whenever they hear about those: Please keep in mind that they're a reboot, not part of the original canon.) The first one has a very severe problem with it's camera not being moveable, but it somewhat makes up for it by having some great battles, a good atmosphere, Patrick Stewart narrating the whole thing, and gorgeous levels.

Thief. Thief is so much fun! It's sort of the stealth-only 'realistic' version of Dishonored. (Which is also a great game.)

The Batman Arkham series, apart from Origins, which we'll just pretend never happened.

Darksiders 1 and 2 - Great games, especially the latter.

Dark Souls 1. The sequel was released recently, and I'm sad to admit it was a bit of disappointment to me.

But that's pretty much what I've been playing as of late.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Chris Brady

What's wrong with Batman Arkham Origins?  It's a pretty good game.  The game play is solid, the story is engaging and entertaining.  The only issue was the bugs, which at least on the PS3 (why would you want to use a mouse and keyboard with this game, anyway?) is mostly fixed.  I don't know about PC, because I don't have it there.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Nachtmahr

Well, on PC I know it's a buggy mess that's not been fixed. In fact they went out and admitted that they didn't have intention of fixing any of the game breaking glitches and bugs before they were done with all the DLC for the game. So yeah, **** that.

There are plenty of issues with the game on the PC, such as enemies randomly respawning when you turn your back on them (Literally the moment you do so) places you can't go, ledge you can't hang on to, falling through the floor, saves being corrupted, cutscenes grinding to a halt, and last but probably worst of all: A rare but devastating issue that may cause any loading screen to force several thousands frames a second, effectively frying your GPU.

Apart from that I personally find the story to be somewhat bland and dull. The so-called 'twist' was no surprise at all, most of the bossfights are either unfair and utilizing inflated difficulty by throwing random adds in there (Yes, I'm looking at Bane in particular here.) or simply QTE events that drag on forever, with no real fighting involved. Actual Batman canon is completely disregarded, and there are several plotholes - How does Batman start the game with technology that five years later would be less effective, and apparently a dangerous prototype? Other than that there are the overly pretentious skill trees, and the combat system was actually downgraded somewhat.

Oh, and as a sidenote - I've played all the games Keyboard/Mouse, and found it to be far easier and less complicated than either of my controllers. :P

Drake Valentine

That and Batman Origins was not done by the original developers, it was all Warner Brother's doing. Can't remember who the others were that did the two batman games(as I am unsure where my game case is,) but they said that they wanted to do a trilogy. So the next Batman game coming on the newest Gens is going to be most likely the last one, developed by them. WB might still make spin offs, though I am pretty sure the original creators will be done with it and will have no part in it afterwards.

Origins was not really that fun of a game, the only exciting villain was the Joker, everyone else was bleh.

Inkidu

I found Origins incredibly fun. :\

It just treads no really new ground. Still Arkham Knight is going to make me buy a next-gen console.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Arkham City is still my favourite, but I still love all the other games.

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 06, 2014, 07:48:11 PM
Arkham City is still my favourite, but I still love all the other games.
Honestly, I'm glad Akrham Knight won't involve the Joker. I wish Origins didn't deal with the Joker, but that's life. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Nachtmahr

Well, I guess it's not a spoiler at this point anyway, but yeah.. Teasing Black Mask, and then going for Joker again.. To be honest, having Joker as your main villain in anything Batman related these days feels like low-hanging fruit to me.. I'm personally a bit full on Joker for the time being.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on May 06, 2014, 08:09:15 PM
Honestly, I'm glad Akrham Knight won't involve the Joker. I wish Origins didn't deal with the Joker, but that's life. :\
I agree.  That's part of what I love about City.  They KILL the Joker.  And Knight proves that Batman has life AFTER the Joker.

Nachtmahr

Oh you never know. He might pop up again sometime. Some Deus Ex stuff where he actually survived by.. Uh.. Getting harley pregnant and transferring his soul into the child.. Or something..

I doubt we've seen the last of him, even if he doesn't feature in Knight.

Chris Brady

Rocksteady have claimed that the Joker is gone.

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 06, 2014, 09:27:39 PM
I want to believe them, but I'll have to see it to be absolutely sure.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Inkidu on May 06, 2014, 09:29:56 PM
I want to believe them, but I'll have to see it to be absolutely sure.

You mean, not see it, right? Right? Hurr.. Hurr...

I'll be on my way now. ._.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 06, 2014, 09:27:39 PM

That is dissappointment. The dude that did the voice did a great job.

SinXAzgard21

Joker is dead in the Arkham series.  They flat out said the new villain for the next Arkham game is an OC.

Nachtmahr

An OC? Gosh, they spend their cliche-card, and now they refuse to use any of the awesome villains as main bad guy? That's sort of disappointing in my opinion.