[System, SotDL, EX] Tales of the Demon Lord

Started by Kathadon, April 26, 2021, 01:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathadon

Welcome travelers.
These are dark times for Urth. A shadow creeps across the land to corrupt, warp, and destroy whatever it touches.
As the light dies and darkness reigns, the world speeds toward annihilation. Is this really the end?
Is it the apocalypse long foretold by prophets and madmen? Or is the end not so certain?
Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Four unlikely adventurers have been brought together by fate to oppose this apocalypse. As the Demon Lord’s shadow creeps across the world, it creates the chance for heroes to seize their destinies and villains to accomplish their despicable goals. Sometimes the world needs heroes. But in the desperation of these last days, the world will take all those it can get: heroes, mercenaries, blackguards, madmen, and whoever else is willing to stand against the coming darkness. The world is held in the grip of a cosmic destroyer. Enter a land steeped in the chaos and madness unleashed by the end times, with whole realms overrun by howling herds of beastmen, warped spirits freed from the Underworld, and unspeakable horrors stirred awake by the Demon Lord’s imminent arrival.

Will you answer the call?
Would you step into the Shadow of the Demon Lord?

The Level 0 adventure, which will be GM'ed by wander, starts the party in the city of Crossings in the Northern Reach.
Since the game is an off shoot of D & D almost all 5E races have an analog on Urth.
Shadow of the Demon Lord is a light Grim Dark and horror setting, without punishing players that want to play actual good guys and heroes.
We are willing to help those new to the SotDL rules, and are looking for a couple more players interested in submitting a character. 

My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

wander

This Recruitment thread came from this thread;

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=331957.0

Which contains some basic information on the basic setting and playable ancestries in the opening post.
It also contains some basic info on the version of the d20 system the game uses, the campaign plot start, the character sheets for the PCs accepted so far and you are welcome to show your interest here or over there as I'll keep track of both of these threads.

Whilst it's helpful to own/know the Shadow of the Demon Lord system, we're openly helping new people with it.

QuoteEssentially players have a handful of stats usually rated 9 to 11 which gives a modifier to rolls equal to their stat -10 (so a stat of 11 gives +1 to rolls, a stat of 8 would give a -2 penalty). You roll a d20 and apply the relevant mod, needing to roll 10 or more. If you do so, your action succeeds, if you don't it fails.
The only time the difficulty is not 10 is when attacking another, in which case the target is their Defence (again, usually rated 9 to 11).

In essence the game is player facing, with a very simple system in place and you'll know prior to update posts if your roll passed or failed as soon as you did it thanks to you knowing the difficulty number to beat prior to rolling.  :-)

Xurtan

Playing around with this; I know OF the system and enjoy the potential of it, but you'll have to be patient with me as I figure out the rules. I THINK this is correct?

Drawmaw "Bishop" Bonethrow
Changeling, Age 17

[ABILITY SCORES]
StrengthAgility 9 (10-1)  Intellect 11 (10+1)   Will 10 Perception 12
Defense 9 Health 9 Speed 10
Healing Rate 2

Size 1 Power 0 Damage 0 Insanity 0 Corruption 1

[PROFESSIONS]
Background: You were enslaved by a hag and forced to perform unspeakable acts as she commanded you.
Academic - Magic
Academic - Occult

Starting Lifestyle: Poor

Languages Common

[EQUIPMENT]
A staff (1d6+1), patched basic clothing, a sack, bread, a waterskin, a tinderbox, a candle, and a pouch containing 8 bits.

[INTERESTING THING]
A medallion depicting a hideous woman’s face - The medallion, of course, was a 'gift' from the hag that enslaved him. He was forced to wear it, and he swears she could see through its eyes. It has become a memento, of sorts, now that she's dead. He can often be found rubbing at its features in various moods, contemplating the past and how things are at least not as bad now as they were then.

[Personality Traits]
Personality: You adopt forms that give you power over others. Power ensures your safety.
Quirk: You must always speak the truth as you know it.
Traits: Honest, Withdrawn, Thoughtful 

[CHARACTER]
Height 6'4" / 210 lb. ; Age 17 
Eyes Gold ; Skin Pale ; Hair Black
Immune: damage from disease; charmed, diseased
Iron Vulnerability: You are impaired while in contact with iron.
Shadowsight: You see into areas obscured by shadows as if those areas were lit.
Steal Identity: You can use an action to alter your appearance to match that of a target living creature you can see within short range. The target must be Size 1 or 1/2 and have a humanoid shape of flesh and blood. Your body changes so you look like the target, though your clothing and possessions remain unchanged. The effect lasts until you use this talent again. If you become incapacitated or touch an object made from iron, you immediately revert to your normal appearance.

[BACKSTORY]

When his nature as a changeling was discovered, his parents weren't best pleased. But rather than throwing him out, they saw an opportunity. Selling him to a hag, he spent several years doing whatever she wished. Whipped when he disobeyed and magically compelled, the one good thing he can take from the experience is that she had no interest in a dumb servant. Instructed in magic and the occult, he ended up turning that knowledge around on her and poisoning her before cutting her head off. Freed and blood-soaked, he wandered into the world and swore to never be that helpless again. As a result he abhors his natural form and prefers to take on strong, fearsome appearances, primarily that of orcs.

wander

Looks all good to me.  :-)

Looks like Kathadon already added you into the OP approved list too and I agree you're approved also.  ;D

Later on I'll sort out an official OOC thread for the you and the others, which I'll link here and in the other thread to discuss things more.

wander

Ershin

In case there's still room or something comes up later on I'm just going to leave this here;
Backstory subject to change if it doesn't fit the tone well enough

Poxri'n (Poxridden)
Goblin, Age 17

[ ABILITY SCORES ]
Strength 8   Agility 12  Intellect 10   WillPerception 11
Defense 12 Health 8 Speed 10
Healing Rate 2
Size 1/2 Power 0 Damage 0 Insanity 0 Corruption 0
=====

[ PROFESSIONS ]
You came into money and start the game with cp.
Academic - Folklore
Language- Exchange second profession to read Common
Getting By
Languages You speak the Common Tongue and Elvish. (Read common)
=====

[ EQUIPMENT ]
A dagger (bronze), a sling with 20 stones, basic clothing, a backpack, a week of rations, a waterskin, a tinderbox, 2 torches, and a pouch containing 6 cp.
=====

[INTERESTING THING]
- Liquid bread. It's good for you and provides courage when you're sometimes lacking!

=====

[PERSONALITY TRAITS]
You look out for yourself. To hell with everyone else!
Odd Habit:
At 2021-04-27 12:50:39, Ershin (uid: 2076) rolls: 1d20 Result: 17
Would'a preferred something else from the list like the licking one, but that's the luck of the dice
You wear a child’s costume and refuse to take it off.
Pudgy
(Make something up) Has a long, slender leonine tail and a copious amount of freckles

Traits:
Orderly, fastidious, courageous, impulsive, stingy, arrogant
=====

[ CHARACTER ]
Height 3'5" / 84 lb. ; Age 17 years
Eyes yellow ; Skin sickly green; Hair red-orange
Immune damage from disease; charmed, diseased
Iron Vulnerability You are impaired while you are in contact with iron.
Shadowsight You see in areas obscured by shadows as if those areas were lit.
Sneaky When you roll to become hidden or move silently, you make the Agility challenge roll with 1 boon.
=====

[ BACKSTORY ]
The ninth child to her ma and pa with a good number after her, Poxrin was always a bit of an odd duck - much like others of her kind she has a habit of collecting things, though in her case she took much more care of the objects that caught her fancy, trying to learn more about them and keep them neat and tidy (often using her fur-tipped tail as a makeshift duster), furious when her siblings, both older and younger, would get into her stash and mess things up, tearing pages out of books that took their fancy. This was especially dire, as she had taught herself to read every single one of the books (including the bigger words with more syllables) on folk heroes and legends that she scrounged and coveted, more than most of her people could claim at least. She became enamoured with the fairy stories of green knights and rat plagues, of courageous heroes and the treasures they could obtain from their journeys. Taking up a golden blade (a bronze dagger) with a barrel of liquid bread for sustenance and to aid in plucking up her courage she headed onwards to make a name for herself, that she might one day be spoken of in the tomes of fairy stories... Goblins were fae after all, so it only made sense.

Kathadon

My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

wander

Just going through the threads before bed, though I love me a gobbo!  ;D

Join us in the ooc thread if you haven't already. ^^

wander

We currently have room for some more adventurers to come in and join the party!

Currently they're looking into some disappearances of local folk, a new scene is opening in a tavern which is a perfect place for new folk to show their face and join our party going forward.  :-)

The main element is the other night the kindly Father Gregory has gone missing, which is the straw that broke the camel's back and pushed our main heroes into action... This would be the main motivation for your character joining the crew also. Past that, I'm accepting characters from all types of backgrounds and ancestries!

If you're interested, let us know down below.
The game has atm a casual pace and whilst the initial adventure is a little linear for this campaign, things will evntually be more open (and action packed) as the PCs grow in ability to defend themselves more easily.  :-)

The characters are currently Level 0 (upon finishing the current adventure the PCs will become Level 1 and get their first Path - SotDL's name for Classes) and character creation is very simple, feel free to ask more if help's required or you don't own the system though would love to join in.

You can also send a PM too if you'd rather, I'm pretty open - however you'd like to let it be known you want to play.  :-)

Thanks for reading, hope to see you soon!