Help Uncover "The Secret of the Cloud People" {Modern-Day Adventure/Mystery}

Started by rick957, October 08, 2012, 01:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick957

We'll send the Russian whip-lady 'round to you next.  ;)

BTW Branwen, let us know when or if you want to be considered as a possible game participant.  I'm assuming you and AndyZ are still undecided until I get confirmation otherwise.

P.S. Out of dumb curiosity ... Are you a person from Texas who calls cookies "biscuits"?  I thought that was a Britishism.  Or am I just confused again?  Happens often ....

Branwen

Well I meant biscuit as in "Bad dog!  No biscuit!"  but I'd prefer a cookie.  Sorry to be confusing.  It's a talent.

I'm working on an idea at the moment, and she might be a nice recurring foil.  Recalling the Nazi interest, nay obsession, with the occult, I wonder if such a character would fit into your schema.  Oh, not a Nazi who believes in that Jews Must Die nonsense, but one who really sees the plan for a master race based on ability and achievement.  If you're strong, smart, lucky, beautiful, talented you're worthy of being preserved and your genetic legacy being added to the pool.  Plus the investigation of ancient artifacts and sites purported to give some metaphysical or superhuman powers. 

I understand tying a character to the ashes of Nazi Germany is problematic and might offend.  It's just an idea I'm gestating.

rick957

Perhaps it's because I've spent too much time in the South, but when I hear "biscuit," I think of butter-drenched breakfast yumminess of the sort I don't allow myself except on rare occasions.  Oh how I miss fatty foods!  When I was younger, I used to eat whatever the hell I wanted all the time.  Those were the days ....

Oh, about your character ideas, Branwen, that all sounds highly promising, and I don't expect the Nazi thing to be an issue for anyone, unless someone speaks up about it; Speilberg loved to use his Nazi villains, after all. 

As soon as we decide on who's participating, one of the first things we'll start doing is building a storyline around the players' characters, and a character like the one you've mentioned would offer quite rich story prospects, I'll bet.  At present, the game has been designed around my Ben character and RedEve's Alice character, basically, but once we add to the cast, we'll try to give each of the characters equal billing in the story.  It's one of my favorite parts of GMing, figuring out how to weave each character as tightly as possible into the overall tapestry.  :)

Sooo, be sure to let us know if you definitely want to be considered for the game or not.  And that goes for any silent lurkers out there, too!  I'd like to be able to have some options to choose from, as far as players and characters, so that we can put together a group that seems as promising as possible.

This does mean that one or two people who ask to be considered will be turned down, at least for the time being, and in the politest and friendliest way that I can manage.  :)  I always fret about bruising egos during the player selection process, so I hope that everyone will be understanding and not take it personally in any way, if you get declined; putting together the final group will be a matter of guesswork, trying to imagine who will fit the game best out of the available candidates, but that will have everything to do with matching complementary writing styles together, and nothing to do with making personal judgments against anyone -- everybody here seems perfectly likable!

Branwen

I would like to be considered, I expect to really audition for the role, and I expect to play a supporting role to the main story.  It's about the story of Ben and Alice, not about my character.

rick957

Kewl so we've got three candidates now.  :)  Oh and of course any story tweaking based upon any players' characters will only happen with the player's input and approval.  I try to keep everybody comfy with everything. 

Just to clarify too -- I don't plan to ask anyone to "audition" in the sense of writing anything ... We'll decide who participates just by looking at your other posts or your intro thread.  I can usually guess well enough about player compatibility that way.

RedEve

Even though our original concept was for a modern setting, I do wonder if we perhaps shouldn't reconsider and opt for a 1930s setting instead?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

rick957

I'm okay with that as long as we don't stress out too much about getting every historical detail perfect or anything.  But what do the rest of you think?

Tamhansen

ah the original pulp era that spawned our dear friend Indy. It was a great era for tomb raiders indeed. Less worry about national heritage and such.

The only difference that comes to mind that might be an issue, would be the shift in perception towards Eve's character. 2012 a daughter being a research assistant is normal. In the 1930's that woul have been quite odd, if a girl accompanied her father, it was merely so he could keep her in his sights
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Steppenwolf

Quote from: rick957 on October 12, 2012, 07:44:11 AM
I'm okay with that as long as we don't stress out too much about getting every historical detail perfect or anything.  But what do the rest of you think?
I'm good either way. If we go 1930s we'll just have to be wary not to use any post-1930s technology, etc, and try to use colloquialisms of the time, like "rubes" and "nowww you're on the trolley!"
Harry Haller & The Magic Theatre, not a Magic Carpet Ride.

Branwen

It adds a certain veil of romanticism against the foreshadowing of the unholy conflict to come.  Now whether or not that's a good thing is open for debate.

The future allows for more familiar writing and less chances for anachronistic slips.  The past seems to offer more buckle for a given amount of swash, and the clothes are WAY better, and it offers a more believable acceptance of the supernatural and mythical. 

My preference?  Modern.

AndyZ

Well, I don't want to hold people up, but I'm not getting any ideas.  If you get enough people without me, don't feel you have to wait.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

rick957

Just keeping everyone up to speed -- we'll be starting our game this week, I'll be in touch with RedEve soon to decide on players, and then we'll let the rest of you know and get our threads going ... polish your six-shooter and all that ... oh and we'll decide on the time period question too, asap.  I'm looking forward to it.  :)

AndyZ -- thanks for letting us know.  :)

To anyone else interested in joining who hasn't spoken up, speak up really really soon!  Once RedEve and I exchange PMs about players, it'll be too late to consider anyone else.

Branwen

Thank you for the update.  Good luck to you and RedEve in finding the cast you will really enjoy!

rick957

Hey everybody,

A couple announcements from your slow-pokey GM ...:  we've decided to stick with the modern-day time period, simply because otherwise I would feel obligated to do some research, and I'd rather focus on other things.  Unless that's a dealbreaker for anyone -- if so, speak up, and perhaps I'll reconsider.

More importantly -- after consulting with RedEve and glancing at everyone's past writing, we've decided to let all three of you who expressed definite interest into the game (Katataban, Steppenwolf, Branwen, that's you).  I'm looking forward to playing with all of you!  And thanks for everyone being so patient.

Some other general comments ...

You should probably know that I am not nor do I claim to be any kind of expert about GMing, and my main goals in RPing are to have as much fun as possible and to be as laid back and accommodating as possible so that everyone else can also have fun.  That means I'll try to find ways to let you do whatever you want in the game as long as you aren't preventing anyone else from doing whatever they want. 

I have been known to pester people if they go too long without posting, especially if other players are waiting for that person to post before they can post.  I try to pester as little as possible tho! 

I do talk a lot OOC, just cause that's how I am.  :)  Oh and I repeat myself a lot.  Yeah, I repeat myself a lot.  :)

Questions of any kind about anything are always welcome -- that's one thing the GM is for, IMO.  Open, frequent communication among all of us can only help us make the game more successful and fun for all. 

So keep that stuff in mind, and start keeping an eye on our OOC thread for our newly-christened game, "Sacha Puya:  The Secret of the Cloud People."  All further game chitchat will happen over there. 

Notice that we're playing over in the NC Human Freeform Small Groups Section, boy that's a mouthful!, the reason we're over there is simply because it gives us the most flexibility in terms of what kinds of kinky stuff we can write about.  I doubt we'll spend much time (if any) writing about anything extreme, but if we want to do so for some reason, our options will be most open in that section.

This thread will remain open for later use, whenever we need to recruit another player or two.  If you happen by this thread and are looking for a game to join, click through to the OOC above and then look at the Game Thread here), and if you like what you see, feel free to PM me.  I'll let you know if we can squeeze you into the game sooner or later.  There will be plenty of opportunities to add players if the game lasts for a while.

Tamhansen

Sounds good to me. Just let me know what you need from me template wise, and I'll put it on a PM or in the OoC thread, whatever you wish.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

rick957

We're skipping character sheets (templates) so that we can jump right into regular posting, Katataban.  I put a bit more info into the OOC just now, and we can discuss the details further over there.  :)

Branwen

Thank you very much for the chance to write with you and redeve.

rick957

The pleasure's ours, Branwen.  :)  Unless you don't end up enjoying writing with us ... *gets nervous*

Branwen

kckolbe

Rick, you always have such lovely games.  It really is a shame our writing styles are so different.  Also that you don't do more system games.  Best of luck with this.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

rick957

Rock on, kckolbe.  :)  Thanks for the kind compliment.  *high fives*

Branwen

Quote from: kckolbe on October 19, 2012, 06:38:52 PM
Rick, you always have such lovely games.  It really is a shame our writing styles are so different.  Also that you don't do more system games.  Best of luck with this.
That was something we need to see more of around here.  Thank you for setting such a great example, kckolbe!

rick957

Bumping this just to let anyone know who might be interested in joining:  we're still in the first week of our game and could fit another player in easily.  As our players get their first posts up, feel free to check out the game thread to see whom you would be playing with, and then PM me or post here if you're up for it.  Each new post may help spur ideas and excitement about ways that you too could participate.  Thanks!

Chelemar

I would live to play with you and Redeve again Rick. :D

I could be your character's assistant in some way.  :) 

rick957

Chele!  *hugs hello*  Welcome aboard.  *happyclaps*

I'll let everyone else know in the OOC that you're joining us, and then we just need to get you set up with a character and start you posting (no char sheets for this game).  You may have seen this already, but here was a little run-down I did about possible characters that could work well in the game.  Your assistant idea will certainly fit the bill, but those are alternatives in case you aren't decided yet.

Whenever you've settled on some character ideas, then we just need to throw your character into the game.  Here is an OOC post where I described some ways to do that.

For anyone else who stops by this thread:  Our game is now large enough that I don't want to add anyone else until we do a few rounds of posts.  However, assuming the game goes smoothly, and based on past experience of how these things go, we'll probably end up recruiting people again in 1-3 weeks.  That's usually how long it takes for somebody to disappear because of other commitments or whatever. 

So, you could still join very soon if you're interested; PM me and we can discuss options.  Oh, and if you're interested in joining, start watching the game thread so that you know what's happening and can think about ways to involve yourself.  Thanks!