New World of Warcraft cinematic for Panderia

Started by Chris Brady, August 16, 2012, 03:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

Here's the Panderia opening movie:

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Trailer

I've more or less given up on WoW.  And sadly this didn't inspire me at all, wish it did...  What do you guys think?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sel Nar

Silverfyre

Man, the trailer for "Kung Fu Panda 3: Fantasy Island" look awesome!

Chris Brady

Thanks Silver, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks and calls the new expansion Kung Fu Panda 3.

Sel, I'm sorry, but you are exceedingly biased towards Guild Wars, so it's hard to see anything you say on this topic as anything other than a jab at Blizzard.  No offense, and GW2 is shaping up to be AWESOME (I do have the CE on pre-order for a reason, after all.)  For the record, I probably won't be touching WoW on the 28th either.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Silverfyre

Well, WoW had the whole Kung Fu Panda bit going on long before the movie came out but that's just what it looks like, stylistically.  I lost interest in WoW about two years ago and there is little that would make me come back.  But, to each their own, and to those who seem to like it... all the best to you.

Also, Sel linked an article about it rather than just expressing an opinion.  I don't see how being biased towards GW2 has anything to do with WoW...?  Aside from the launch date and the patch, etc, etc.

Chris Brady

Whenever someone talks about WoW, he always comes up with a Guild Wars based statement.  And he's stated, several times, both here and IRC what he thinks of Blizzard and World of Warcraft, which is less than polite. :p

As for the article, it's actually standard fair.  When Cataclysm came out, WoW had a month long 'preview' building up to the most lackluster swath of mediocre destruction.  Although the cinematic was pretty impressive.  More so than this one.   So having KFP3 coming out on the 25th of September, means that about the 27-29, Blizz would get some sort of event happening.  It's more than likely coincidence.  GW2 doesn't scare Blizzard in the least.  The moment it starts pulling 14 million subscribers, then Blizz will take note, but until then, not even a blip on the Blizzdar.

Moraline

I actually quit WoW before The LK was launched but I came back a couple months before Cata so I could run through it all. I enjoyed myself - although I still didn't enjoy it like I did back in Vanilla and early on in BC.

I like Cata though. I thought it was a nice refreshing change. I liked the new zones, the changes to the world. I think all games should have big updates like this and change the landscape and story every few years.

Pandaria on the other hand. .. Well, it represents everything I've grown to dislike about WoW. Cartoony, slapstick humor, archaic graphics, and level grinding. Oh and lets not forget the endless carrot on a stick gear/raid running. I enjoy it a bit.. but not enough to play the game. I quit again a couple months after Cata because I had done it all and seen it all and wasn't interested in waiting for the next big patch and another of the same old carrot on a stick gear run dungeon/raid add on patches.

Don't get me wrong. I think WoW is an amazing game and in it's day, nothing could touch it. It's still the epitome of high volume content and active maintenance. Just to me personally it's beyond it's best before date. It needs to retire and make room for the new generation.

Of course, I'm also one of those crazy people that loved Age of Conan and think that GW2 is nothing to be excited about it. I look forward to playing it, but at most to me it's (GW2) just another over done and tired genre game that is past it's prime.

I want the gritty savage reality of a world of barbarians like the world of Age of Conan. I only wish someone would do it right and not mess it all up like the current company did. Not to mention, I really really desperately want graphics quality and style that doesn't come out with bobble head munchkins (I'm looking at you GW2. *waggles my finger*)

Anyways... Mists of Pandaria = a pass for me.

((btw, I'm not one of those ones that hates WoW because it's to casual. I like casual play. I'm just bored of the style and setting.))

Aiden

I have been wanting to play a panderan since wc3, off course I am going to play this!

It doesn't hurt that I have not paid for wow in over three years (hook ups ftw)

I was going to try guildwars, but I didn't play the first, not gonna bother with the second.

Already reserved my panda's name. Pandabeer!

SinXAzgard21

Glad I no longer play this game.  I'll be picking up GW 2 on the 28th.  I do think blizzard is a bunch of douche bags for releasing this on the same day GW 2 is going to come out.  Of course it will sell more, it is made for 5 year old children to to play now.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Chris Brady

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on August 16, 2012, 05:39:43 PM
Glad I no longer play this game.  I'll be picking up GW 2 on the 28th.  I do think blizzard is a bunch of douche bags for releasing this on the same day GW 2 is going to come out.  Of course it will sell more, it is made for 5 year old children to to play now.
Like I said, it probably never entered their mind that this is coinciding with ArenaNet's launch date.  They've always had events occurring about one month before the release or a new expansion.  They just don't see GW2 as all that important, and why not?  They may be losing record number of subs, but they still have millions more than any other MMO to date.

I agree with the douchebag comment, though, especially since all that's left in the WoW Dev team are Horde lovers (not there's anything wrong with Horde, but they just don't care about any other faction or race.  Either it's 'FOR THE HORDE', or nothing.)

Aiden

Even if the devs prefer the horde, it is the alliance who gets all the awesome lore.

Silverfyre

I highly doubt a company that is as prolific and competitive (market wise) as Blizzard simply didn't know or react to GW2's launch date.  I have a few friends who work for Blizz that are basically saying it was definitely intentional.  It's all about money and marketing and that's what they are doing to try and keep their player base happy with new content and what not. 

And really, the whole "GW2 is going to fix the MMO world and be the best game evar!11" mentality is exercised when anyone talks about any game besides GW2 these days. I get that shit all the time with SW:TOR.  It's ridiculous to say the least.  Comparing GW2 to other games is like comparing orcs to crossbred gnome/goblin babies.  It is going to probably be a wonderful game but it is not the be all, end all. 

Samael

I wish I was still playing WoW.
And I also wish the Blizzard CGI department would just go ahead and do the WOW movie, because the Hollywood one is in development hell since forever (and Raimi is off of it).
Love that trailer.

Time to check for the soundtrack though, because it seems to be another great one (seriously, Blizzard has amazing Music and CGI in their games always).
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

TheGlyphstone

It's got everything I expect from Blizzard...exaggerated and cartoony graphics, good music, a bit of slapstick humor, and a heavy focus on the new 'Big Shiny Thing' of the expansion in question (and anyone who says LOL Blizz ripped off Kung Fu Panda needs to be thwacked with a bamboo staff :D). I want to like this game, I want to like it so much, primarily because SWTOR has lost its luster for me. But I don't know if I can...it's nothing amazingly new, just all of the same things that gradually lost their luster.

I'll probably re-up my subscription for a month or two anyways to see the new zones - one thing Blizzard has never failed to deliver on is their art department, they do a great job for the antiquated graphics engine being used.

Revelation

definitely my second favorite cinematic of the WoW lot. It was everything I expected more or less, though quite well done and humorous without being overly silly. The action once the Pandaren came in very much reminded me of Jackie Chan films however. Not that such is bad!

ofDelusions

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 16, 2012, 05:49:20 PM
Like I said, it probably never entered their mind that this is coinciding with ArenaNet's launch date.  They've always had events occurring about one month before the release or a new expansion.  They just don't see GW2 as all that important, and why not?  They may be losing record number of subs, but they still have millions more than any other MMO to date.

Uhmm, Blizzard has a reputation for timing. their big patches and expansion around release dates by competitors. So this most likely isn't a coincidence. Especially as Blizzard lost another 1 million subs lately.

Anyway, I found the cinematic lackluster. Which is a shame, because one thing Blizzard have been good at has been cinematics. Has been. Hell, all the TBC and WOTLK era patch trailers were fucking amazing and made me want to play. Cata patch cinematics have been really disappointing.

Theta Sigma

I enjoyed the cinematic and I am looking forward to Pandaria, mostly for a change of scenery. Whilst I don't love WoW as much as I used to and I havent pre-ordered the expansion yet, I'll get it eventually. I'd rather wait, to be honest, too many people trying to do the same quests at once just isn't fun to play through or experience.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: GallifreyanGriff on August 17, 2012, 07:58:06 AM
I enjoyed the cinematic and I am looking forward to Pandaria, mostly for a change of scenery. Whilst I don't love WoW as much as I used to and I havent pre-ordered the expansion yet, I'll get it eventually. I'd rather wait, to be honest, too many people trying to do the same quests at once just isn't fun to play through or experience.

I"m not going to go rushing into the Pandarian realm.. I have seen the 'fun' of doing the same thing with 90 gazzillion others in the beta. I'll go in a few weeks later.

Bloodied Porcelain

I've been beta testing MoP for a while now, as I beta test most of Blizzard's new games, and on more than just open weekends, and all I can say is that even if the beta testing I did didn't convince me that the game was pretty much singing it's swan song, that cinematic would have. I'm aware blizzard's Pandas were around long before the KFP franchise, but c'mon guys... you could at least try to make it original. The panda in the cinematic is basically Po from KFP in a hat. It feels almost exactly like his dream sequence scene at the beginning of the first movie... I felt like I was watching an alternate ending or something.

After Cata... all they could come up with to keep the franchise afloat was pandas? Seriously? I'm a pretty big Blizzard fan, and have had an active subscription to WoW for years... but MoP was the nail in the coffin for me. I've just called Blizzard's CS and found out how much longer I have to pay for my subscription to WoW before I get to keep my Diablo 3 for good. I've set the date in my phone so that I can be sure to cancel as soon as it comes.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on August 17, 2012, 03:10:11 PM
I've been beta testing MoP for a while now, as I beta test most of Blizzard's new games, and on more than just open weekends, and all I can say is that even if the beta testing I did didn't convince me that the game was pretty much singing it's swan song, that cinematic would have. I'm aware blizzard's Pandas were around long before the KFP franchise, but c'mon guys... you could at least try to make it original. The panda in the cinematic is basically Po from KFP in a hat. It feels almost exactly like his dream sequence scene at the beginning of the first movie... I felt like I was watching an alternate ending or something.

After Cata... all they could come up with to keep the franchise afloat was pandas? Seriously? I'm a pretty big Blizzard fan, and have had an active subscription to WoW for years... but MoP was the nail in the coffin for me. I've just called Blizzard's CS and found out how much longer I have to pay for my subscription to WoW before I get to keep my Diablo 3 for good. I've set the date in my phone so that I can be sure to cancel as soon as it comes.

They wanted to do something other 'war again'. That was the intent mention again and again at Blizzcom last year. I honestly think they've used this as a stall till they can find something EPIC for the next (and in my opinion LAST) expansion to WoW.

That being said, I am also feeling that things have gotten increasingly 'daisy cuttered' and I know I don't play as much as I used to. part of that is school and such, but another part is that compared to grinding in Vanilla to 60 (remember Hell Levels? 40 man raids? I do) or the feel of BC and the grind there..

Now? I look at my Paladin's console.. half my blessings are gone.. my button spread has shrunk so much it feels like an arcade game rather than the MMO I started on. Half the time.. my blessings are nerfed by other classes. It's annoying.

Chris Brady

I have absolutely nothing against furry characters, I know an excellent trio of artists who specialize in it, and I absolutely adored the Kung Fu Pand movie franchise.  Not to mention I love martial arts, hell, the reason I have a Nelf arms warrior as a main is because they hold their two handed blades in a cool samurai-esque pose.

But after Cataclysm my interest has dropped.  The story became lack luster, the alliance side quests were borked up, lore wise (the only way you can finish the Andorhal chain is by succeeding at all of them, and yet you lose anyway, and it doesn't even try to give a flimsy reason for it.  Not to mention what are the Alliance Leaders doing about it, nothing) the Alliance is floundering, dying and frankly I wouldn't mind if it weren't for the fact that no one tells us why.  Instead we get Thrall's story.

And now we have the Panda's which...  Look, you (Blizzard) do know that there's a limited amount of space a world has right?  Why not look at the Nagrand night sky and see that you have at least three planets there to build on!  You could make a entire planet based on the Pantheon, like Uldaman, Ulduar and Uldum!  Instead we got...  A massive turtle with a country on it.  Which would be washed away if it decided to dive under the water.

Blech.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 17, 2012, 03:49:06 PM

They wanted to do something other 'war again'. That was the intent mention again and again at Blizzcom last year. I honestly think they've used this as a stall till they can find something EPIC for the next (and in my opinion LAST) expansion to WoW.

That being said, I am also feeling that things have gotten increasingly 'daisy cuttered' and I know I don't play as much as I used to. part of that is school and such, but another part is that compared to grinding in Vanilla to 60 (remember Hell Levels? 40 man raids? I do) or the feel of BC and the grind there..

Now? I look at my Paladin's console.. half my blessings are gone.. my button spread has shrunk so much it feels like an arcade game rather than the MMO I started on. Half the time.. my blessings are nerfed by other classes. It's annoying.

<--- *Warlock* How do you think I feel? =/
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Callie Del Noire

I wish they had explored more CoT.. I mean you had sooo many points in history to play with. Add in the Silthius factor that just got .. dropped. One moment the bugs are the return of an ancient evil that has to be stopped with ties to the elder gods..then blim.. nothing.

There are soooo many things you could have done with outlands. Found more fragments of Dranoer (sp?) in the Nether.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 17, 2012, 04:06:33 PM
I have absolutely nothing against furry characters, I know an excellent trio of artists who specialize in it, and I absolutely adored the Kung Fu Pand movie franchise.  Not to mention I love martial arts, hell, the reason I have a Nelf arms warrior as a main is because they hold their two handed blades in a cool samurai-esque pose.

But after Cataclysm my interest has dropped.  The story became lack luster, the alliance side quests were borked up, lore wise (the only way you can finish the Andorhal chain is by succeeding at all of them, and yet you lose anyway, and it doesn't even try to give a flimsy reason for it.  Not to mention what are the Alliance Leaders doing about it, nothing) the Alliance is floundering, dying and frankly I wouldn't mind if it weren't for the fact that no one tells us why.  Instead we get Thrall's story.

And now we have the Panda's which...  Look, you (Blizzard) do know that there's a limited amount of space a world has right?  Why not look at the Nagrand night sky and see that you have at least three planets there to build on!  You could make a entire planet based on the Pantheon, like Uldaman, Ulduar and Uldum!  Instead we got...  A massive turtle with a country on it.  Which would be washed away if it decided to dive under the water.

Blech.

technically, the giant turtle is only the starting zone. Pandaria itself is a perfectly normal island.

Aiden

Chen came before Po, Just saying.

Also, I think that is Chen in the video.