Searching for images in the Wiki categories

Started by Haibane, December 22, 2010, 02:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

Is there a way to do this? Either by uploader name or by file name, even a dates window?

I have quite a lot of images on E's server space and quite often I find I want to go use one but it takes ages to find it by scanning through the pages at 200 images a go. Note the images do not seem to be in alphabetical order; there seems to be one alphanumeric list, then a second one afterwards... I think this may be linked to unused usernames but even so it makes it a slow process to find anything by scrolling through the pages.

Maybe there is a search function other than for pages, in which case please tell me where as I can't see it.

Thankies.

Soran

Yes, I believe there is.
When in Elluiki click on the search tab (menu on the left). In the advanced search, you can put your username and check the 'file' box, that should bring up the images you have uploaded (at least the ones with your username in the title). Hope that helps.

Haibane

That only seems to bring up files where my username is written in the file description. Such as "Here is my character Roger Smith, used in the game 'Sugar Daddy' played with Haibane."

Soran

Okay hun, try this. When in Elluiki click on 'My contributions' right at the top on the right hand side of the page, that should bring up all of your activity on Elluiki.

Haibane

Ah, yes. That'll do nicely. Thank you!

I take it, other than that there is no searchable database for images though?

Soran

You're welcome *smiles* I had a go with the searches, but didn't have much luck I'm afraid. Perhaps Veks knows away...I haven't found it yet. heh.

Vekseid

Quote from: Haibane on December 22, 2010, 04:27:28 PM
Ah, yes. That'll do nicely. Thank you!

I take it, other than that there is no searchable database for images though?

Aside from categorizing liberally, not really. If you find a mediawiki extension or version that allows filtering by date range, feel free to point me to it.

Lithos

I think only extension that allows date range filtering is semantic drilldown of semantic mediawiki and that is mostly good for overviews, not for user searches really - at least out of the box.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Vandren

Under the "Special Pages" link in the left hand sidebar, there is a category "Users and Rights" under which there's a link to "User Contributions" .  Unfortunately, it calls up things they've edited as well as uploaded, but it might be a start.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei