News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Beginning (Eranil and Martee)

Started by Eranil Morathim, June 07, 2011, 01:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eranil Morathim

Late spring in Gairloch. The sky was a clear blue, the sun beaming down warmly. The sea breeze coming in on the docks a crisp, cool and comfortable for the workers. Gairloch was a bustling port city on the northwest coast of Scotland. Many dockworkers, sailors, and traders bustled around the area. Some were coming of ships that had just arrived, some hurrying back to their ships before they left port, still others milled around while they waited to once more disembark on their journey.

Gregory was a tall, strong young man. His 6'8" frame, while slim was well muscled. His black hair fell just past his shoulders and was tied back in a loose ponytail while he worked. He was young, still in high school, but had a strong work ethic. He often would be the first one to the docks and the last one to leave. Despite his age, the older men he worked with respected him for the work he did. He was always willing to help out, often coming to work when he didn't have to simply to help out.

Gregory was busy unloading crates from a cargo ship that had just arrived. Despite the fact that they were large and rather awkward, he was able to move them onto the cart with relative ease. He loaded up his cart and brought it into the warehouse, moving briskly though the throngs of people that passed him.

Once he returned from the warehouse and back onto the deck of the ship, Gregory took a few moments to enjoy the weather. The crisp, cool air felt revitalizing against his sweat soaked skin. his hair whipped around in the breeze a bit as he stood on the deck. Looking out across the water, Gregory saw another ship coming into port. He thought little of it as he watched it come in. He simply wanted to see where it would dock so he would know if it would be another for him to unload today.

He still bent and loaded the crates as he watched the ship come in. Every time he bent down, his sleeveless shirt clung to him thanks to the sweat of a hard day's work covering his body. His sinewy muscles rippled beneath the fabric a little every time he moved. Finally he had the cart loaded again with the last of the crates. He brought the load to the warehouse again and left the cart by the door.

Returning once more to the cargo he saw the metal bars waiting to be offloaded. He lightly hefted a couple of them and saw they were not quite as heavy as they looked. Squatting down he heaved a bundle of the beams onto his shoulder and headed off again. On his way he saw the newly arrived ship had docked nearby. He could watch the people as they came off the ship.

Martee

Cara could not stop smiling as the shoreline came into view in the distance.  For months she had fought and argued with her parents to let her take this trip - a full year in the Scottish Highlands, studying ancient dig sites under the esteemed archaeologist, Professor Gordon McKnight.  While her friends in Ireland wasted their transition year, Cara planned to soak up the local history and culture, and make contacts that would help her admission into the University in Glasgow once she finished her secondary education. It was only that final argument that caused her parents to finally relent.

It wasn’t as if she were traveling across the globe - it was only Scotland!  Just a boat ride.

A chilly boat ride.  The late spring air still held a damp chill, and Cara shoved her hands deep into the thick wool cardigan wrapped around her tall, slim frame.  The wind kept stealing locks of pale, strawberry blonde hair from the scarf on her head, and Cara eventually gave up and pulled the scarf down completely, looping it loosely around her neck instead.  It would be less windy once they disembarked at Gairloch.  The boat was so close to the port, she could see the shapes of individual people moving back and forth on the piers and between the buildings packed along the dock.  She hoped one of them was Professor McKnight.  The man was a paragon of achievement in his field, but notoriously absent-minded.

As the boat drew up to a salt-stained pier, Cara slipped through the crowd gathering on deck, eager to be among the first passengers to disembark.  Her luggage could wait, it would be taken off by the porters and stacked over by the pick-up area.

A bright smile spread across her face, reaching up to her deep, emerald green eyes.  She nearly ran down the gangplank ahead of everyone, bouncing on her toes when she reached solid land.  She couldn’t believe it - she had a whole year in Scotland!

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Eranil Morathim

Gregory slowed his pace with the load of metal beams on his shoulder. He saw the crowd getting off the newly arrived boat. He had been wrong in thinking it was another freight ship, this was a ferry. Nothing for him to unload unless the porters needed help with the luggage.

Slowly he walked down the ramp watching his surroundings for anyone who might not be as aware as the should be on the docks. His eyes caught a glimpse of something fluttering on the breeze. When he turned his head, he saw her. The light red color that he saw was the hair of the most beautiful woman Gregory had ever seen. Her hair shone in the sun, her fair skin nearly glowing. He could see the spring in her steo as she walked along the pier.

With his attention elsewhere, Gregory nearly walked off the pier. He stopped short and quickly regained his balance though. Laughing at himself, Gregory focused himself again and set back to work unloading the ship. A couple more armloads of beams and the freighter was unloaded.

"Oy Greg, we need a hand here!!" Gregory turned and chuckled a bit. Sure enough, the porters for the ferry were calling to him. He smiled and headed over to help, brushing his long black hair out of his face as he went, though a single braid still hung from the left side of his head along his eye. "What do ye need mates?" he asked, even though he clearly saw the massive trunk they were having trouble with. "Aye, I see." He said before they could answer. He squatted down and grasped the trunk firmly buy the handles. With a great push form his legs and a strong heave with his arms, he hoisted the massive piece of luggage and carried it to the pickup area rather easily, despite walking with the load being difficult.

He set the trunk down and looked at the pickup tag. Seeing the tag read C. Conners he decided to wait and help with the luggage. He knew that no matter where it was being put it would be quite a task for most anyone else but himself. While he waited he found his steel gray eyes searching the crowd for the woman he had seen before. His eyes absently panned the pier as he searched, hoping to catch another glimpse of her.

Martee

Cara’s brilliant smile was starting to fade as she continued to scan the small crowd at the parking lot, and continually failed to catch sight of Professor McKnight, nor his assistant, Meredith.  She wasn’t worried, even though at 16, this was the first trip she’d taken on her own.  In fact, if she hadn’t had an enormous trunk with her, Cara would likely have just phoned a cab, or taken the train to her eventual destination.

Her trunk.  She’d been out by the parking lot for a while; it would probably be wise to check and see if the boat had been unloaded.

As she approached the area where the luggage was unloaded, Cara slowed.  Her trunk was there, aye.  It was hard to miss, really.  There was someone standing next to her trunk and things - a very tall man, built slim, with a dark ponytail.  He certainly didn’t look like a Meredith.  He was facing out towards the crowd, away from her.  Cara stepped up to her trunk, keeping her eyes on the incredibly tall fellow.  A meter from her trunk she stopped-

“Well,you're a big'un, eh? What do they feed you here?" She smiled, and asked, "Would you be with the Professor, by any chance?”

Eranil Morathim

Gregory stood patiently beside the trunk. Watching both for the woman he had seen before as well as for the owner of this massive trunk beside him. While he stood he flagged down one of his fellow workers and explained to him what was going on.  The other man seemed not to believe Gregory and reached down to try and lift the trunk. He was barely able to make any crack of light between pier and luggage. The man set this down. looked at Gregory, Clapped him on the shoulder and walked away laughing a bit, though one couldn't be sure if it was at Gregory or at himself.

When he heard the voice, Gregory started a bit, it was a very kind, gentle voice, but I had taken him by surprise. He turned quickly and was awestruck. There she was, the woman from the ferry. The sunlight shining upon her face, her brilliant emerald green eyes sparkling as she looked at him. Gregory's breath caught in his throat for a moment. as he looked at her.

It seemed like an eternity before he found his voice and said to her with a polite smile. "Nay Ma'am I'm not a professor, I work here." He replied gesturing around the docks. "If I can help ye in any way I'd be happy to though." He added looking at her again, his steel gray irises once again locking on those emerald orbs.

Martee

Cara was transfixed when the man turned to answer her question.  Had she known what her reaction would be when she first saw his face, she probably would not have said anything at all. She was not shy, not generally, but looking up at him, into those grey eyes - it took her breath away. He may not have been the most typically handsome man she’d ever laid eyes on, but nevertheless she could not look away.  Not until she felt the heat of a burning red blush spread across her pale cheeks.

Cara quickly dropped her gaze to her trunk, rubbing at the back of her neck, a nervous gesture.  She smiled at his response - “Ah, well, I hadn’t taken you for Professor McKnight, really.  Maybe an assistant, but that’s a no...” She didn’t lift her head, but looked back up at him, sideways, through the fall of pale red hair.  “I, uh, I’m waiting for my ride. I thought perhaps someone would be here to meet me, but I suppose I should try to call.”

She fished in the pocket of her cardigan for a moment, pulling out a heavy-looking cell phone, square and black.  Flipping it open, Cara swore under her breath at the dark display.

“Damn. Battery’s gone dead.”

Eranil Morathim

Gregory stood glued to the spot he stood as he watched her. His eyes taking in her whole being, not wanting to forget her face, though he doubted he could forget beauty such as hers. His normally intense eyes were now soft, but still focused with full attention and interest on the woman who stood before him. He smiled a bit as she looked down and blushed as he could feel his face reddening as well.

Gregory looked from her to the trunk a couple times before speaking again. "Aye, ye're right, though I do know of him. He's been this way a fair bit." He replied as she spoke again of the Professor. He couldn't help but wonder what as gorgeous a woman as her would be looking for an Archeologist like Professor McKnight.

When she cursed the dead battery on her phone Gregory's hand went to his pocket. "Here, use mine" he  started to say before his hand appeared, still empty. "Then again, maybe not, I must have left it at home." He finished a little sheepishly.

Still bound to help this woman he looked again into he sparkling green eyes. "I assume this trunk is yours." He started. "I'd be happy to help ye get to where ye need to go" He offered. This was supposed to be his day off anyway. "I don't live far from here, and ye can use my phone there if ye like." He finished, starting to squat down and hoist her trunk again.

Martee

Cara’s eyes flew wide and her pulse started to pound when the man offered to take her home to use the phone.  Surely he was only offering to be friendly, and he seemed kind enough, but... No, not the best idea, Cara.  As he started to lift the trunk, she reached out without thinking, grabbing his arm.  “No, wait! What do you think you’re doing?  You’re going to hurt yourself!” She put another hand down on the top of the trunk, urging him to lower it back down to the ground.

She could not believe he was going to try and carry that trunk himself.  It weighed more than she did!  Two big men were needed to carry it onto the boat! No, she was not going to have this stranger hauling her trunk all over the Highlands while she tried to track down the professor.

She smiled up at his friendly face, beautiful eyes.  “You have my thanks for your kind offer, but I think I can find a phone here.  Would you keep an eye on my things, for a moment?  I’ll be right back...” Cara looked down and realized with some embarassment she was still gripping his arm.  Her face reddened a second time as she pulled her hand back, twisting it in her other like a small child who’s just been told not to touch. “Oh, pardon me...” came the quiet apology.

Cara backed away towards the thinning crowd, an uncertain smile on her face.  “Right back, alright then?” she called, bouncing a step and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.  Turning away, she slipped into the crowd.  It only took her a few moments to find someone with a phone she could borrow.  A quick call confirmed the Professor had forgotten she was arriving today, but Meredith was already on the way to pick her up.  She wouldn’t have long to wait.

She made her way nervously back towards the unloading area, wondering if he would still be there waiting, and hoping he was.  At the very least, she’d need help getting that heavy trunk up into the Professor’s lorry.  Besides, she didn’t even know his name...

Eranil Morathim

Gregory stopped hoisting the trunk and set it back down gently as she grabbed his arm. He smiled a bit. "I hauled it from the boat myself lass." He told her with a bit of a chuckle. "But ye might be right, it would be faster to find a phone here." He agreed with her, looking around.

She headed into the crowd as she called back to him. Gregory looked back at her and nodded "Aye, I'll be here then." He said watching her as best he could through the crowd. He stood there with only his thoughts for company while he waited for the woman to return. He looked again at the tag that read C. Conners and realized he still didn't even know her name save for what information the tag gave him.

Gregory wondered if he had been too forward when he offered to carry the trunk to get her to a phone. Perhaps he had but he simply couldn't think straight at the moment and said the first thought that came to his head. He tucked his hair, save for his braid behind his ear and sat on a nearby barrel as he waited for her.

It was only a matter of moments before Gregory again caught sight of the girl's distinctive, light red hair again. He stood up again and waited to find out what was happening with her luggage. He had no problem getting it wherever it needed to go. Not only because it was part of his job, but also because he knew she wouldn't be able to heft the massive thing on her own. There was also something within him that was telling him to try to help her, to talk to her more, to at LEAST find out her name.

Martee

He was still standing there, waiting. Watching her as she made her way back. Cara couldn't help her nerves as she made her way through the milling crowd, feeling his eyes on her. She was a little nervous, yes, but excited, too. There was something about him... She couldn't quite put her finger on it. He was certainly different - for one, she couldn't remember the last time she had to tilt her head up to look someone in the eye. At her height, most people were at or below eye-level, and the few who were taller were only so by a few inches. This man was a full foot taller, although his lanky frame did a fair job masking how strong he was. He really had carried the trunk himself. Amazing.

And then there were those smoky eyes, a color she'd never seen before. The slim braid that hung down alongside his face - she had to suppress the urge to reach up, give it a playful tug...

Cara took a deep breath, trying to stifle the thoughts that were doing nothing to quell the frenzied butterflies in her stomach. She drew up to the trunk, to him-

"See? I told you'd I'd be right back! Everything's settled - my ride should be here in a bit. Although..." Cara shrugged, unsure how to continue without seeming too forward. Her brow furrowed slighty in chagrin as she looked up at him.

"We may need a little help, with, well, my luggage. If you're not busy, that is." She looked around the dockyard - it definitely seemed like a bustling place. He probably had plenty of other things to do, and she'd wasted enough of his time already.  "If you can't, though, I understand! You've been a great help already. Thank you..." Her voice trailed off, she still did not know his name. For that matter, she hadn't offered hers, either.

"I've no manners at all! Forgive me." Cara thrust her hand out towards him, a confident, but slightly unusual gesture for a 16-year-old girl. "I'm Cara. Cara Conners."

Eranil Morathim

Gregory's eyes rested on her as she returned to where he stood with her trunk. He watched her move with a certain grace he'd never seen before. The way she walked, there was a confidence and a spring in her step that he could see. The manner in which the woman carried herself was striking to him. She seemed a bit of a spitfire, but also a very kind woman.

Gregory smiled and couldn't help but drink in those emerald orbs again as she walked back to him. "I never doubted ye would return." he said with a smile "I have your luggage after all." he added with a bit of a chuckle. before he nodded his head. "It's no trouble at all, today is actually my day off. I'd be happy to help ye."

Gregory reached out and took Cara's hand in his, nearly engulfing it as he held it gently before bending low to kiss the back of her hand. "Gregory McClellan." he said as he looked her full in the face. "It's a pleasure to meet ye Cara Conners." He finished, slowly, almost reluctantly releasing her hand from his grip.

Gregory then turn and, squatting down he positioned himself to grab the trunk and, with one great heave, was full on his feet, trunk in hands, held across his body. "Well then..." he started to say casually, as though it was no effort at all for him to carry the massive piece of luggage. "Lead the way Cara." he finished with a smile and started to follow her through the crowd. "Oy, George! I'm done for the day!" He yelled with a booming voice to one of the other dockmen before getting too far. "Apologies for that Cara, I forgot to let someone know." He said to her once the man he had called to had acknowledged and waved him away. "Now I'm free to help ye as much as ye need." He added, still smiling down at her.

Gregory felt strange, his stomach felt like it was doing back flips just being around Cara. He felt as though his mind was adrift in a thick sea of fog, yet he still was able to formulate words and not appear a babbling idiot. Not to mention he had left work to help her. Sure he didn't actually have to be there today, but he knew for a fact he would have done the same thing even if he had been scheduled today. It was clear he found her highly attractive, and he had no doubt she knew this. It didn't bother him though as long as he could stay in her company for a while.

"So if I may ask, why do ye have such a large trunk with ye?" he asked, making light conversation. It was clear she wasn't from around here, she had just arrived on a ferry, after all. She had piqued his curiosity from the moment he saw her. Now here he was walking and talking with her, the most beautiful woman Gregory had ever seen in his life. sure he was only 18, but he thought Cara was absolutely stunning.

Martee

She felt the blush spread from the top of her head to the tips of her toes when Gregory bent down to kiss her hand. She'd only meant to shake hands! Still, his chivalrous gesture certainly made for a lasting impression. Cara tried to bite back a huge, embarassed grin and failed. She couldn't turn away either, not with the way he held her eyes with his own.

"The pleasure is all mine, Gregory McClellan..." In all her life, Cara had never figured she'd ever have reason to utter those words, but standing at the dock her first day in Scotland, not only did she easily utter them, she meant every word.

She was completely enthralled, the spell broken only when Gregory lifted her heavy trunk into his arms, bidding her lead the way, as if she had any idea at all about the layout. She'd been at the Gairloch port less than 30 minutes! Still, how hard could it be to find her way back to the drive where Meredith would pull in? Hopefully not too hard, or Gregory would wear himself out... Although, he did just take the rest of the day off. Cara chewed her lip guiltily. Meredith would only be 20 minutes or so...

"You didn't have to do that", she chided, turning back towards Gregory as she led them onward towards the parking lot. "Professor McKnight's assistant will be here shortly, no more than a quarter hour or so."

"And as for that thing," She continued, nodding at the trunk in response to his question, "You can blame my mum. She insisted I bring nearly everything I own for my stay here. A year is a long time, true, but how many different things can you really wear to dig in the mud?" Cara smiled and rolled her eyes. "She just doesn't understand. I'm on my transition year, studying Archaeology and Cultural Anthropology with Professor McKnight."

For the first time since she'd laid eyes on Gregory, Cara remembered why she was in Scotland. Clapping her hands together she spun back towards him. "I'm so excited!"

Eranil Morathim

Gregory simply smiled when Cara very nearly reprimanded him for taking the rest of the day off. "It's no trouble, I told ye before I didn't even have to be here today. Though I am glad I was here today." He said looking to Cara with a twinkle in his eye.

Gregory instinctively knew the way to the main road that led to the docks and headed that way. Easily maneuvering through the crowd even with the cumbersome trunk in his hands. "Take care to stay close Cara." He said to her. "It can get a wee bit confusing around here." He wove in and out of people and around buildings, always checking to make sure Cara was nearby, be it in front, behind, or next to him. All that mattered was she was nearby and not lost wandering the docks.

Gregory nearly stopped dead in his tracks when she told him the reasoning for the trunk. His stomach lurched hard. A Year, she was going to be in Gairloch an entire year! He could hardly contain his excitement. "Well ye have chosen an wonderful place to study." He responded to her, his voice trembling a bit with excitement now, his eyes had lit up a bit more. "This area is in the former Celtic kingdom of Dal Riata." He said, trying to contain his excitement. "And my understanding is that professor McKnight is quite well learned in the study."

He couldn't help but be impressed. Cara had this look about her, her appearance almost perfect. Gregory simply couldn't picture her digging in the dirt and mud looking for ancient artifacts. The fact that she was interested in something such as that though, only served to make her even more appealing to him. That such a thing could happen was a surprise even to Gregory, he didn't think he could find any more to be enthralled with her about, and here she continued to surprise him. He couldn't help but wonder what she would tell him next.

Martee

As soon as Gregory mentioned Professor McKnight's reputation, Cara took it as an open invitation, all but babbling about the Professor's contributions in his field. Gordon McKnight had made a life's work of piecing together the pre-christian history and way of life for the Celts, Picts, and even Vikings who had settled and lived around the Highlands centuries ago. She found it all fascinating - even though she herself was Irish, there were enough historical connections between the two islands to make it feel a bit like her own history as well. She was, however, surprised when he mentioned Dal Riata. True, it was part of the history of this area, but it was ancient history. She wasn't completely sure if he was really interested in it, or if she was being teased...

"The kingdom did reach parts of northern Ireland, you know," she answered, lifting an eyebrow. "We're not entirely ignorant back home." She followed it up with a quick wink, in case her jest wasn't clear.  They made their way fairly easily to the drive once Gregory took up the lead, and Cara was thrilled to see there wasn't a truck idling there, waiting for her. Once the trunk was set down she leaned against it, fiddling absent-mindedly with the dark, tarnished rivets running along the leather lid. Despite being so close to the road, they had left behind most of the crowd.  It suddenly seemed very quiet without the buzz and bustle of the dockyard activity all around.

She was certain he'd be able to hear the nervous pounding of her heart in the silence.

"So, Gregory McClellan..." Cara gave him a sidelong glance as she sat back on top of the trunk. "What more does the mild-mannered dockworker know of medieval Scottish overkingdoms?" She narrowed her eyes in suspicion, but couldn't completely mask the smile playing at her lips. "Or is that just a line you Scots use to lure away unsuspecting Irish girls who can't carry their own baggage?"

She wasn't normally so bold, not with a complete stranger, but Cara had noticed Gregory stealing glances at her - every time she stole one of him. In any case, Meredith could show at any moment, and Cara had no clue how far she'd be staying from the port, or even when she'd be heading back into town.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory couldn't help but chuckle a little. Cara knew so much about the professor it was uncanny. His smiled broadened when just made a joke at home almost at her own expense. "I knew that, but I didn't know if ye knew." He said with a grin, a playful innocent smile on his face.

Once they arrived on the main road, He set the trunk down and took a seat on a nearby empty crate that had been left there. He watched as Care fiddled with the trunk for a while. It was only know that he noticed his heart was pounding, it felt as though it was in his throat.

Gregory couldn't help but laugh loudly at her joke about a pick up line. "Well blast, now ye know my one good line." He replied with a smile before continuing. "I know bits and piece here and there." He started "For example the kingdom reached its height under the rule of Áedán mac Gabrái but shortly after his rule it's expansion was stopped." He told her, stealing glances again deep into her emerald eyes whenever he could. Something about those eyes drew him to her, he simply couldn't look away. "But ye came here to study with Professor McKnight, not me. and he could teach ye much more than I ever could anyway." He said, still unable to stop smiling as he spoke to her.

Martee

Cara was barely listening to a word Gregory was saying.  She was far too busy enjoying the view, and it had nothing to do with the lush landscape extending in every direction.  She shrugged at him- “Oh, I don’t know.  There’s something to be said about picking up the local history from the natives.  I take it you’re from around here, eh?”  She leaned back on the trunk, propped up on her arms, staring out at the rolling hills stretching beyond the road before them.  There was a good amount of traffic, but it was still quiet and peaceful; a bit of a difference from her home in Galway.

She flipped her hair back when the wind caught it, pushing it across her face.  “What else do you do here, Gregory?” She looked over at him, sitting a bit away on a barrel.  “For fun, I mean.” She grinned at him. “Tell me what wonders await here in the charming coastal city of Gairloch! I’ll need something to do when I’m not digging through excavation sites.”

Eranil Morathim

"Aye I've lived here all my life." he replied. "Not to say I don't one day dream of moving on, but this is home, and I am quite happy." He said again, his gaze leaving Cara only long enough to look out across the landscape he was so familiar with. His eyes soon returned to Cara though. He wasn't sure when he would see her next so he wanted to keep her image in his mind as long as he possibly could.

"Well as I'm sure ye have gathered, I work on the docks a lot." He started to respond. "I also spend a lot of time in the forest, I have a great love for nature and spend as much time as I can outside. I plan to be in the highland games this year so I'm doing a lot of training for that too." He continued. "But enough about me, I want to know about ye. Tell me more about yourself Cara. What brought you here? what interests ye? What do ye do at home?"  He asked, eager to learn more about her.

Martee

Cara stayed silent while Gregory talked, enjoying the sound of his voice and the accent that touched his words.  It was starting to get warm sitting there, so she pulled off the scarf and slipped out of her cardigan before pulling her knees up and wrapping her arms around them.

“What do I do?” Cara answered.  She shrugged, thinking his questions over.  “Nothing special, really.  School, going out with my girls, just the usual things.” She gave him a sly grin. “Getting into just enough trouble to have fun, but not enough to make my mum cry.  I live in the city, so there’s museums and films and all that.”

The earlier timidity was melting away, and Cara found herself looking at Gregory more than the area around them. “As for why I’m here, well, that I already mentioned.  Working with Professor McKnight will make it a bit easier when I apply to University in a few years.” She rolled her eyes and shrugged again.  “I hope.”

Another sly grin crossed her face as she looked at Gregory. “Highland games, eh?  What’s that - the Olympics in kilts instead of togas?  Sheep tossing and such?” She bit her lip to keep from laughing - she was only teasing, and didn’t want to offend him.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory nodded and listened as she spoke, hearing her words flow together so smoothly "Well ye couldn't have picked a better man to study with. I'm sure it will help ye in the end." He said trying to congratulate and reassure her all at the same time. He certainly wanted her to feel comfortable, as well as to not feel like she would be wasting her time here in his hometown.

Gregory tried to look affronted when she questioned him about the games but simply couldn't. Barely two seconds had passed before he let out a bellowing laugh. He wiped a tear from his eye and looked at her, his eyes shining both from both tears of laughter as well as the sun hitting his face. "do ye really not know the games?" He asked "Ye are semi close with the sheep toss." He added, still chuckling. "Aye we do wear kilts. The events are some such as the caber toss, the stone put, and the weight throw just to name a few. Perhaps ye would be interested in seeing them if ye have the time?" He asked, a bit unsure of any other way to ask her to join him without being too forward.

He knew for a fact he wanted to spend more time with Cara any chance he got., But Gregory also respected the fact that she was here for a reason and refused to impose on or hinder that reason for his own selfish gain. To be on the safe side, he figured he would invite her to different things here and there, and see when she could and couldn't join him. Perhaps dinner sometime, the games, maybe simply a walk in his beloved forest. He had plenty of possibilities in mind. But for now, time was plentiful, she had only just arrived and Gregory was going to have an entire year to spend time with her.

He brushed his hair away from his face again, this time also tucking his braid behind his ear. Though it barely stayed in place for but a moment before it again fell beside his eye. Taking his eyes from Cara for a few moments, Gregory looked up and down the street, seeing a few cars but unsure of exactly what vehicle he should be looking for.

His eyes then settled on Cara again."Do ye know where ye will be digging with the professor?" He asked. It was well known that Professor McKnight had excavation sites all along the coast. Gregory was simply curious and wondered if she would be visiting all of them, which was his thought or if the professor would only take her to a few of the closer sites.

Martee

She covered her mouth with the back of her hand and joined Gregory when he laughed.  Not offended, after all - that was good.  Cara’s cheeks were starting to ache from smiling so much, but she didn’t care.  The fact that Professor McKnight had forgotten about her arrival could have been a terrible start to her year-long stay, but instead was turning out to be the best part of her trip so far.

“Hmm,” she started to reply, trying to get her laughter under control, “let me think about it... A bunch of big, burly men in kilts lobbing about sticks and boulders?”  She too, wiped a few tears from her eyes. “The girls would never forgive me if I missed a spectacle like that!” She sighed, and looked directly at Gregory. All the laughter was gone from her voice, but a small smile remained as she continued, “Really, I’d love to go.  You’ll have let me know when it is.”

When he asked where they’d be studying, Cara could only shake her head. “I haven’t a clue, honestly. I suppose it will depend - on what we find, local permits, the weather, any of a dozen things.” She shrugged.  “I don’t even know where I’ll be staying, yet.”

Coming up the road behind her a small white van slowed, preparing to turn into the drive.  On the side was the blue crest of the University of Glasgow. Cara sat up as it came into view, her attention drawn from Gregory as the vehicle turned in to the lot.  Her voice was quiet, she was speaking mostly to herself as she mumbled, “I think that’s my ride...”

As it pulled up alongside the curb, a blonde girl in her mid-20’s leaned out through the window, and called over to them in a loud, American-accented voice, “Hey, are you Cara?  Gordon sent me to get you.  Sorry for the wait!”

Cara looked back at Gregory, half smiling, but with a touch of regret creasing her brow. “That must be Meredith.”

Eranil Morathim

"I would be happy to have ye there. I forget exactly when they are but I'll be sure to let ye know." He said his eyes twinkling now, heart pounding with anticipation of Cara being at the games watching him. He could hardly believe his ears that she had accepted so quickly. Sure she had made a joke about it, but Gregory was quite enjoying her humor. The way she put things just made him laugh. There was something abut here, he couldn't quite put his finger on it, but he was sure there was a reason he had decided to come to work and met her today.

"I'm quite sure the professor likely has something arranged for housing for ye already and has likely forgotten to tell ye about it." He said when she told him she didn't know where she would be staying. "I believe he has quite a large manor home, though I could be wrong. So ye might be staying with him, or he may have made other arrangements for ye." He finished. He knew only a few things about Professor McKnight but the mad did have quite a reputation in the area.

Gregory turned to look up the street as Cara did the same. He felt a flush of disappointment as he saw the truck. Though he knew she would be leaving soon enough, he wished she could have been able to stay longer. "I suppose we should get your trunk loaded then." He said when the van came to a stop before them and the woman called to Cara. Gregory stood up and heaved the trunk into his arms. He set it down for a moment to open the back of the van and gently placed it inside. He then closed the door and stopped for a moment, watching Cara head for the door of the van.

"Cara wait!" Gregory called suddenly as he reached into his pocket and retrieved a pen and a scrap of paper. He quickly scrawled something down, though making sure it was legible. He then gently pressed the scrap of paper into Cara's hand. "Here, call me sometime." he said softly to her, still gently keeping her hand in his, gently lifting it to his lips and kissing it once more. "I don't believe in love at first sight, so I'll need to be seeing ye again soon." he said he said with a smile as he lowered her hand and raised his head to once more lose himself in her wonderful green irises once more.

He Helped her into the van and stood beside it as she got herself situated. Despite the fact that he was upset she was leaving, still he smiled. He knew today was already a wonderful day and nothing would diminish it.

Martee

She felt so torn as Gregory easily loaded the trunk into the back of the van.  Cara was excited to get settled in to her home for the next year, but the excitement was tempered significantly now that her time with Gregory was cut short.  She felt like she’d known him forever, despite the nervous anticipation that bubbled up inside her every time she looked at him.  He was so easy to talk to, and disarmingly charming.

She was tossing her cardigan into the front seat when she heard him call out for her to wait - as if she’d leave without saying good-bye!  Cara turned back towards him, a rueful look on her face.  But as she opened her mouth to speak, he surprised her, taking her hand in his own and handing her something - his phone number, apparently.  Once again, she felt her cheeks redden, although it would save her from the embarrassment of having to seek him out where he worked, in front of all the other dockworkers.

Gregory’s next comment, as he lifted her hand to his lips, left her entirely speechless.  Cara could only nod, mutely, as he looked into her eyes and smiled.  She squeezed his hand and returned the smile, as well as she could manage in her current state. 

Meredith stayed quiet as Cara climbed into the front seat.  Gregory had stepped back from the door as the lorry shifted into gear, but Cara put a hand on Meredith’s arm, begging her to stop the vehicle. “No, wait.  Don’t go yet!” She leaned out the window, the height of the lorry bringing her face up nearly to Gregory’s.  “Hey, I didn’t get a chance to thank you.” Her heart was pounding as she gave him a quick, light kiss on his cheek, before falling back into her seat. Cara gave him a shy glance. “Thank you, Gregory McClellan, for the warm welcome.”  She lifted a hand and waved as Meredith pulled back out onto the road.

She watched him in the mirror until Meredith started to talk - “That your boyfriend?”  Cara turned then, startled and more than a little embarrassed.  “Uh, no,” she replied with a smile. “Well, not yet.”  The woman driving was several years older than Cara, with long, blonde hair pulled back in a messy ponytail, and warm, friendly brown eyes. She had a smirk on her face her she looked sideways at Cara.

“You know, when I come in from the airport, I usually just give the the luggage guys a couple of Euros.”  Meredith looked back at the road and shrugged.  “Maybe I’ll try your way next time, looks a hell of a lot more fun.  Anyway, welcome to Scotland. I’m Meredith Banks. I’ll be here through next spring, working on my thesis with Gordon.  You’re in High School, huh? Or, whatever it is they call it in Ireland.”

Cara grinned and nodded.  She liked Meredith already. 

“Anyway, sorry again about the wait - although you look like you made the best of it,” Meredith went on, her lips twisting back into a smirk.  “We’ll be at the house soon, and get you settled in.  Don’t worry, we’re close enough to the main part of Gairloch that you can walk there.  And we’re not heading out into the field for about a week, so you’ll have plenty of time to see Romeo again. “

Eranil Morathim

Gregory grinned inwardly to himself as he saw Cara blush. He knew that was one of the cleverer phrases he had ever used before and was glad of his timing. Though he knew it may be a few days, he was already looking forward to seeing Cara again. He felt himself drawn to her. Her wit, her beauty, her intelligence. Gregory could not think of a single flaw with the woman he'd met only a few minutes before. Everything about her was perfect to him.

This time, It was Gregory's turn to blush deeply. As he stood by the van seeing her off, Cara leaned out and kissed him on the cheek to thank him. Gregory's face instantly flushed a deep, crimson red and he smiled and shrugged shuffling his feet in the dirt a little. "It was really no problem Cara, I was glad to do it." he said, slowly looking back up at her, his face still red.

He stood on the side of the road and waved as he watched the van drive away. Watching until he could no longer see it anymore. He watched for a few more moments, half hoping she would have forgotten something and would have to return to the dock. Though he knew full well she had had everything with her in the trunk he had loaded for her. Finally we set off for home, a new found spring in his step. He whistled a cheerful, nameless tune as he strode down the street.

Soon he had arrived home. He pushed the door open and, bending over a bit stepped inside. "Ma! Da! I'm done with work, I'm going to the forest." He called as he walked into his room and changed into clean clothes. He pulled on a sleeveless shirt and a pair of old jeans. He then grabbed his phone and checked it in slight anticipation. Though he was sure she wouldn't have called him yet, he still hoped to see and unfamiliar number that may be hers. He saw nothing and chuckled to himself before stuffing the phone into his pocket.

Gregory then walked out into the main room and saw his parents sitting there. He kissed his mother lightly on his cheek and clapped his father on the back. "I'll be home later, going to the forest for a while." He said "Alright dear, be careful" His mother said smiling back at him. She saw the twinkle still in Gregory's eyes but said nothing. She simply smiled at him as he headed out the door. "Have a good time lad." His father said, patting his arm. "I will" He said to both of them as he walked out the door.

Gregory casually strolled through town, still whistling as he walked. He soon found himself walking amongst a thick growth of trees. He found his mind wandering as much as his feet as he walked. He found himself back at the docks, reliving his meeting with Cara.

Gregory smiled to himself as he came to a familiar clearing. It was set up as a training ground, though a natural one. Everything was made of mainly wood and rock. He strode to a long, thick branch that rested on a pair of cross beams that He had driven into the ground himself. Positioning himself in a squatting position beneath the thick, heavy piece of would he placed it on his shoulders and wrapped his arms around the back and over the branch. He let out a quick, heavy breath and stood up, bringing the wood with him. He did a few squats and then ran laps around the clearing, breathing steadily the whole time. He then returned to where he had started and replaced the branch where it had rested before.

He then walked to a pile of rocks of various sizes. He hoisted one onto his shoulder and positioned it like a shot put. Turning his body in a steady motion a few times before he coiled his body back and sprang forward, releasing the stone. The stone flew through the air and landed on the ground with a heavy thud. Gregory surveyed the distance it had flown before grabbing a heavier looking stone and repeating the motion. He looked this time and saw they had flown about the same distance. "Going to have to work on that a bit." he said to himself. Not completely satisfied with the results.

Gregory finished his training with some caber toss practice, inclined push ups, and weighted sit ups before he called it a day. He then walked to a wide area in a nearby brook and took his shirt off and wading in to rinse himself off.

A smile still on his face Gregory strolled back onto town and walked along the streets for a while. He found himself gazing in the direction of professor McKnight's manor a few times and again chuckled at himself. "Ye'd better calm yourself lad, this is bordering on obsession." he told himself laughing inwardly.

When the moon started to rise Gregory made his way home. He walked in and saw that his mother had left supper on the table for him. His parents were gone. His father had a show tonight. Gregory at the food left on the table before he went upstairs. He laid down on his bed and stared out his window at the stars smiling to himself and thinking of Cara. 

Martee

The ride up the coast to Gordon McKnight’s manor house went by quickly, mostly due to Meredith’s endless high-speed stream of information about the area, what’d they be doing, and really, pretty much any other subject that happened to come up.  Every once in a while she’d use a word or phrase that Cara was unfamiliar with, and coupled with Meredith’s rapid-fire way of speaking and accent, it wasn’t always easy to follow. However, it seemed that the Professor’s rules were fairly simple and easy to follow: Take good care in your work and responsibilities, be back in the house by 10 during the week, no drinking or drugs, and pick up after yourself.  There were a few other rules for when they were out at the dig sites, but more or less that was the gist of things.  Easy enough, and actually, a lot less restrictive than the rules she had back home.  Since Cara was still a minor, Meredith would serve as a chaperone/guardian when they were out or Professor McKnight wasn’t around.

The Professor’s house in Gairloch was actually quite impressive, and had been used for many years as a bed and breakfast before it went up for sale and was purchased by Gordon McKnight.  Now he used it as a base of operations during his field work in the Highlands, or as a holiday home when he was lecturing and teaching at the University in Glasgow.  It wasn’t the most ideally situated home base for what he was doing, but according to Meredith, he’d fallen in love with the western coast line years before, and this was the best property to come available when he was looking to buy.

All of the front rooms along the two-story façade looked out on the water of Gair Loch, and the coastline of the Isle of Skye further out along the horizon. At the back of the house, the view was of rolling hills and green as far as the eye could see, dotted here and there with small shapes that could be herds of sheep.  Cara would have her own room on the second floor, with a private bath and tiny balcony, and Meredith would be across the hall.  Gordon kept a suite of rooms at the other end of the house.  The downstairs consisted of a common room, a small rec room, the dining room, a library, and the kitchen & wash rooms.  Cara and Meredith were responsible for cleaning their own rooms and laundry, but the professor had a domestic come in during the week to straighten up and help prepare mid-day meals.  For dinner, the three of them would have to fend for themselves and share the cooking responsibilities.

When they finally turned up the stone drive, Cara could not believe it.  The house wasn’t enormous, but it was much bigger than she’d expected, and way larger than the flat she shared with her parents in Galway.  There were neatly manicured hedges lining the drive and defining the white-washed front of the manor.  Meredith eased the vehicle around the side of the house towards a carriage house, and Cara could see a small enclosed garden behind another set of hedges.  It was ridiculous.  Her surprise must have registered plainly on her face, causing Meredith to give a short laugh – “Yeah, I know, right?  It’s like something out of a movie.  I swear, sometimes I can’t believe I get paid to live like this.” She maneuvered the lorry behind the house and shut the engine off.  “The downside is when we’re stuck out in the middle of a mudpit, miles from anywhere, in the driving rain, leaking tents and single digit temperatures.  Then it really sucks.”  She turned and gave Cara a crazy grin, topped off with a wink. “But don’t worry, it’s been two whole weeks since the last time that’s happened.  Cara could only stare at her, green eyes wide, and nod.  Sounded great…

Meredith threw open the back doors and went to pull out the trunk, grunting when it wouldn’t move.  “The hell?”  She turned to Cara, “I saw Romeo put this back here himself.  It can’t be that heavy…”

Cara winced in response – “No, it really is that heavy – He’s just a lot stronger than he looks.  And, his name’s Gregory.”

“Well,” Meredith shot back, rubbing her forehead before stepping back from the van and crossing her arms. “I don’t care what you call him, but we should’ve dragged him back here with us if he’s the only one who can move this thing.” She nodded her head towards the trunk.  “Go on, open it up.  We’ll have to unpack it out here and carry everything up to your room that way.  Man, you’re so lucky I’m nice.

Cara briefly considered the scrap of paper in her pocket – the one with Gregory’s number scrawled across it.  She bet if she called him, he’d come give them a hand… No. As much as she’d love to see him again – and she really did – that’d be a terrible abuse of his kindness.  Besides, it probably wouldn’t take too many trips to empty the trunk enough to move it.  She’d call him as soon as they were done.

Three hours later Cara and Meredith collapsed, exhausted, on top of the now-empty trunk shoved against one wall of her room.  Cara’s legs burned from several dozen trips up and down the twisting back staircase that went from the kitchen up to the end of the hall where her room was.  Of course, she was also completely unpacked, so there was that.  Meredith was staring at the ceiling, sweat plastering her blonde hair down to her forehead as she rolled her eyes over to Cara.

“Girl, the next time we head to Inverness, you are buying some normal freakin’ luggage.  I still don’t know how we got this thing up the stairs, but we may have knocked out part of the wall.  I’m afraid to check.”  Meredith stood up, slowly.  “Gordon’ll be back pretty soon.  I’m going to get some dinner going- finish making yourself at home and come down when you’re ready.”

Cara sat where she was for a minute, catching her breath and pushing her own, sweat-soaked hair back from her face.  On the corner of the desk lay her phone, now plugged in and happily charging itself back to life.  He’d asked her to call sometime, right?  And this was, technically, sometime.

Just as her pulse had finally started to slow after all her exertions, it picked right up again, this time in anticipation.  It took her two tries to dial his number, and as she lifted the phone to her ear and heard it ring on the other end of the line, she was seized with panic. Dear god – what do I say if he picks up the phone? Worse, what if he doesn’t pick up?  Do I leave a message? What should the message say?? What if he wasn’t answering her call because he realized how crazy it was to pick up a girl fresh off the ferry?  She’d been in Scotland less than four hours and here she was calling some fellow she’d just met…

Before she knew what she was doing, Cara stabbed at the angry red ‘end call’ button.  The ringing on the other end of the line cut out immediately.  She sat there, clutching the phone in her hand, staring at it, trying to calm her furious, pounding heart.

Not today. She put the phone back on the desk, then covered it with a magazine so she wouldn't have to see it. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe....

Eranil Morathim

Gregory stared at the sky from his bedroom window, lost in his own thoughts. He barely heard his phone ring while he was so deep in thought. Once he registered what the sound was and reached for his phone, it had stopped ringing. He looked at the display and saw a number he didn't recognize. "That'll be Cara." He thought happily to himself though he wondered why she had hung up. Figuring she was still busy and had maybe been called away before he had answered he decided against calling her back.

Gregory rolled over onto his back and looked dreamily at his ceiling. Before long he drifted off to sleep contentedly. Images of Cara swan before his eyes as he slept comfortably.

Waking to the sunrise, He sat up in his bed and stretched. Gregory showered and put on clean, comfortable clothes. He wasn't scheduled to work the docks today and had things he wanted to do in town. He dressed, stuffed his phone is his pocked, grabbed his wallet, and went downstairs to eat a quick breakfast.

He left the house and walked outside. Looking up he saw a clear blue sky and felt the warm sun on his face. Today was shaping up to be another beautiful day. Gregory strolled into town, walking leisurly along the streets.

Coming to the tailor's he stepped inside. He needed a new kilt for the games. His old one had not only been worn out but also become too small. He placed his order, and was measured. He had no need to tell the tailor his tartan pattern because he already knew it. Gregory's family had been regular customers her for as long as he could remember.

Once he was finished Gregory walked back out into the sunlight. He had a few places to go today but was in no particular hurry. He strolled along the streets looking around. He wondered to himself if Cara would be out and about today, getting herself acclimated to the city. He felt his phone in his pocket and contemplated for a moment calling her but decided against it for the time being. 

Taking a seat on a bench at the edge of a small park, Gregory sat down and stretched out a bit. He greeted people he knew as the passed and watched the happenings of the city for a while. He still was in no hurry and just wanted to enjoy the day while he had the chance.

Martee

Cara awoke to the bright rays of the rising sun shining through the east-facing windows of her bedroom.  Meredith had cleverly chosen the front bedroom for her own, knowing she’d never get to sleep in if her room faced the sunrise.  After several long minutes of frustration, covering her face with her arms and pillows, Cara gave up, stretching and climbing out of bed far earlier than she needed to be.

The night before, over a delicious dinner of pasta and fresh vegetables, Cara got to meet Dr. McKnight face to face for the first time.  He was a really friendly fellow, with a thick white beard and a thinning head of hair to match.  It had been several years since he’d had an assistant as young as Cara, and for most of the dinner he had quizzed her on various bits of history and lore of the area.  It was all in fun, and by the end of dinner she felt confident she’d actually be helpful during her stay in Scotland.

Dr. McKnight had given her a loose itinerary of the next three months, highlighting several locations he planned to visit as well as the vast amount of cataloguing he had fallen behind on.  That would be one of Cara’s principle responsibilities, and once the professor excused himself, she got right into it, setting up the system she would use for the remainder of her stay.  It kept her up far later than she planned, but the hours passed quickly and it kept her mind occupied from other thoughts - particularly those of a certain dark-haired scotsman.

With a touch of apprehension, Cara glanced at her phone.  No calls.  She chewed her lip, wondering if that was a good or bad sign.  She considered calling Gregory again, but realized it was ungodly early - and if he was up, he was probably at work.  Instead, she grabbed a quick shower, dressed for the unseasonably warm day, and made her way down to the kitchen to snag tea and a muffin.

After a while, the professor joined her in the kitchen, handing over a guidebook for the area, which included both fairly up-to-date information as well as more detailed history of the region.  By the time Meredith made her way grumpily into the kitchen, half the morning was gone and Cara was more than halfway through the book.

“Morning!” Cara said brightly, smiling at the groggy woman.  “Care for some tea?”

Meredith gave her a dark look.  “I hurt everywhere. I feel like I ran a marathon.  I want coffee, and half a bottle of tylenol.”  Clearly, not a morning person.  After digging through the pantry and cabinets for several long minutes, Meredith cursed.  “No coffee left.  Damn.” She sighed.  “I’ll be right back - unless you want to take a ride?”

Cara was engrossed in her book.  “No thanks!” She answered.  “I want to finish this up today, I have a feeling I’ll be quizzed at dinner.”
Meredith shrugged and stomped out the door.  When she walked back in about twenty minutes later, she looked significantly cheerier, and had a wicked gleam in her eye.

“Oh Cara...” Meredith began, in a sing-song - “Guess who I saw in the village?  Your little Highlander Romeo...”

Cara sat up, closing the book. A pink blush spread across the apples of her cheeks.  “You saw him?  In town?  Did he say anything...?”

“Nah.” Came Meredith’s response.  “I was in the car, didn’t bother stopping.”  Her eyes watched as Cara reached for her phone.  “Oh no you don’t!” Meredith yelled, reaching out and snatching the phone.  “Don’t you dare call him

Cara’s green eyes grew wide, and her mouth hung open. “What do you mean... he asked me to call him...”

Meredith cut her off.  “No freakin’ way.  Rule number one - if you want a guy to stay interested, you gotta make him work for it.  That means, he...calls...you..  No exceptions.”  She pushed her thick blonde hair back over her shoulders and grinned over her coffee cup. “Trust me on this one.  Give it a little time.  Gairloch’s tiny, and everyone knows Gordon owns this place.  Make him come to you.”  She nodded, eminently pleased with her sage advice.

Cara could only stare at the woman in confusion.  Don’t call, even if he asked?  It seemed silly, but Meredith was older and surely knew what she was talking about. "Alright then, if you say so..." Although, this would save her from her nerves, every time she went to call him.

"Trust me, Cara. I saw the way he was looking at you. He'll call."

Eranil Morathim

Gregory was seated comfortably on his bench. He was starting to get hungry and was contemplating where to grab a quick bite when something caught his eye. The van he had seen Cara leave in yesterday was driving down the street right in front of him. He was jerked away from his food contemplations as he scanned the cab quickly as it passed. All he saw was the blonde haired woman that had picked her up yesterday, Meredith, he thought her name was.

Instinctively, Gregory reached for his phone. He had it flipped open and was about to press the call button when he had an epiphany. He smiled to himself and snapped his phone shut again. He nearly lept off the bench and glanced in the direction the van had gone. He watched the vehicle turn a corner and disappear before he moved.

Suddenly Gregory had much more to do. He ran to the blacksmith and placed his order for a custom made Sgain Dubh dagger. He paid the smith for the order and quickly made his way out. doing his best to tame his hair as he went. Soon enough his long strides brought him to the florist. He wasn't sure exactly what he should get so he explained his dilemma to the kindly woman.

She smiled and clasped her hands together, simply beaming at Gregory. "Such a kind, thoughtful young lad ye are, Gregory." she said as she set to work creating a bouquet for him. "Thank ye Aila. I knew ye would know what to do." Gregory replied, blushing a bit at the kindly old woman's reaction.

Soon she had presented Gregory with a bouquet of Fire and Ice Roses, Tulips, and Daffodils. Decorated with Heather and Baby's Breath. Gregory reached for his wallet but Aila set her hand on his arm. "Gregory, this be a special bouquet. I be giving it to ye as a gift lad." He smiled thankfully at the old woman but asked anyway. "Aila, are ye sure, I'm more than happy to pay ye for it, ye did too much for me to not charge." She smiled and shook her head. "If I can help ye win a woman's heart lad, that is enough payment for me." She said placing the bouquet in his hands and shooing him out there door. Following him until he was once more making his way up the street toward professor McKnight's manor. "Good luck Gregory."she called, still positively beaming as she called after him, waving goodbye.

Gregory turned and waved again to Aila as he walked up the road. His long, energetic strides soon bringing him to stand at the front door. He nervously ran his hand through his hair, once more trying to straighten it some. Hands sweaty and shaking, he rang the doorbell. This was it, there was no turning back now, no matter how nervous he was.

Martee

Cara was still sitting in the kitchen, the reluctant recipient of Meredith's unsolicited relationship advice, when the doorbell rang. Both women froze, eyes locked on each other's for a long beat. Then, with a clamor that sounded more like a pub brawl than morning tea, they both sprang towards the narrow hallway leading to the front of the house.  

"I'll get the door!"

"No way, I got this-"

They jockeyed for position down the length of the hall. Cara had the advantage of height, being a couple of inches taller than Meredith, but the older woman had already been standing in the doorway and had a headstart. As they burst out of the hallway at nearly the same time, it became apparent through the window who was waiting on the other side of the door.

Cara skidded to a stop. "Oh my god, it's Gregory!"

The look Meredith shot her was all but dripping with I told you so. She shooed Cara back into the hall. "Go, fix your hair or something. You're a mess. I'll get the door."

Cara stumbled back into the hall, ducking into the powder room there to make herself presentable. Checking the mirror, she didn't think she looked that bad, although she wished she could stop blushing so much. A quick splash of cool water did nothing to alleviate the redness, and Cara resigned herself to the curse of her normally pale skin. It would fade when she calmed down some, although that was not likely to happen anytime soon.

Taking a few steps back, she checked the rest of her reflection. She had on a simple, pale blue cotton shirt, nothing too tight or revealing, and a well-worn, comfortably faded pair of jeans. Her strawberry blonde hair was loose, but far neater than the tangled, wind-swept mess it had been the day before. She frowned - she didn't look like a mess.

Meredith. What was taking so long, anyway?

As Cara turned back into the hall, Meredith pulled open the door just enough to slip through, shutting it firmly behind her.

Standing at the foot of the stone steps was the tall, dark-haired dockworker from the day before. He was holding an amazing bouquet of flowers in his hands. Ten points for Braveheart, she thought. Meredith smiled and waved politely at him as she walked over to where he was standing.

"Morning, Casanova. You're here for Cara, huh? I'll get her in sec."

Her sneakers crunched on the gravel drive as she stopped in front of Gregory, crossing her arms and trying to look intimidating. It was not especially effective considering the difference in their respective heights, but Meredith was originally from New York City, so at the very least she knew how to sound intimidating.

"First," she began, glaring up at him, "You and me are gonna have a little talk." Inside, she was dying, trying desperately to keep from laughing. Gregory was tall but was also pretty young. He really didn't look like he needed a lecture on how to treat a young lady, but Meredith wasn't about to stop now.

"She's sixteen, Romeo. And I'm responsible for her. So if you had any wild thoughts running through that head of yours, I suggest you tame them, like, now. She's here to learn, and work. What you guys do in her free time is none of my business," she gave him a glare "to a point. But if you start turning into a huge distraction, we're gonna have a problem, you and me."

Meredith stepped in close to Gregory then, lowering her voice. "And finally? I'm really good with a shovel, and I know all kinds of hidden places out there." She gestured with her head, out to the northeast, and the vast emptiness of the Highlands. "You hurt her, or break her heart... They'll never find you."

From the house came the sound of the door opening. Meredith turned, stepping away from Gregory and grinning at Cara. "Took you long enough. We were just having a chat, right?" Meredith looked over at Gregory, punctuating their one-sided conversation with a final, stealthy glare.

As she walked back to the house, she winked at Cara. "You two should go around back to the garden. It's pretty nice, you'll have some privacy."

Eranil Morathim

Gregory heard a clamor in the house and wondered to himself what was happening but didn't concern himself to much. Perhaps somebody had dropped something, or something had fallen. Either way, he had no idea what was actually going on, nor that it had anything to do with his arrival.

He backed up and ran a hand through his hair once more as Meredith stepped out the door. "Aye." he said quietly. Starting to wonder if coming here was such a good idea. He stepped back a bit as Meredith walked towards him. Gregory looked a bit confused when she said they were going to talk.

Standing there dumbstruck by this onslaught, Gregory simply nodded to Meredith's lecture. For a moment he wanted to just turn around and leave, thinking perhaps this was a bad idea. But the thought of Cara inside held him firm where he was. Before long he understood that Meredith was simply trying to protect Cara, it was at that moment that he finally calmed down. He couldn't help but chuckle a bit when she threatened him with knowing hiding places in the highlands. Though he understood the message she was trying to convey, He had grown up playing in those hills and doubted anyone knew them better than he did.

"I assure ye Ma'am I've no ill intentions, and I don't intend to become a distraction either." He said calmly and quietly when he finally got a chance to speak, not commenting on anything else. He heard the door open and looked up to see the sunlight hit Cara as she stepped outside.

Automatically he walked up to her and handed her the flowers. "These are for ye." he said quietly with a bit of a shy smile. "I wanted to invite ye to lunch." he said after Meredith had mentioned the garden. "If ye are able to. If not some time in the garden would be nice too." he added as Meredith headed towards the house, leaving Gregory and Cara alone on the front step.

Martee

"Oh, jeez, Gregory, you didn't have to do that..." Cara began, taking the flowers from him. "I've never gotten flowers before - they're beautiful." She hid her face in the bouquet for a moment, biting her lip, completely embarrassed. She lifted her green eyes up to his from behind the flowers and smiled. "Thank you."

She backed up to the front door, keeping her eyes on Gregory. "I'm going to put these in water, and then lunch sounds great. Just a minute..." Cara dashed inside, handing the flowers to Meredith and tucking her wallet and phone in her pocket. "He's taking me to lunch! That's alright, right?"

Meredith nodded. "Just stick close to town for now, and check in later if you're going to miss dinner too. Back by 10. No exceptions." She grinned at the girl - young woman. "Use your head, call if you need anything."  Cara nodded, waved, and tore back out to the front of the house where she'd left Gregory waiting.

She rushed down the steps before her nerves had a chance to kick in again. "Sorry I didn't call," Cara began, brushing her hair back as she tilted her face up to his. "I started to, really.  Last night." She bit at the end of her thumbnail and winced. "But then I panicked and hung up. Silly, I know." Of course, now she felt silly about it, now that Gregory had come by personally to see her, and brought flowers, and asked her to lunch. It hadn't seemed as silly last night, or even earlier that morning.

She smiled up at Gregory. "So, uh, where are we going for lunch?"

Eranil Morathim

"They're not nearly as beautiful as the one receiving them." he said almost inaudibly. as she hid behind the bouquet. "Ye are very welcome." He said with a smile as she looked up at him. Gregory waited patiently out front while Cara ran inside. He was glad now that he had decided to come by after all. Despite being accosted by Meredith, which he dismissed as being protective, almost a mother figure to Cara while she was here. He understood and didn't worry. Cara was obviously as happy to see him as he was to see her.

Gregory dismissed her apology with a wave of his hand. "It's alright really. I honestly expected ye to be busy anyway." He said with a reassuring smile. He didn't mention that he'd thought of almost nothing but her the entire day after she had gone.

"Ye tell me what ye would like to eat and we can find a place from there" He said with a smile as he bent his arm at the elbow and held it out to her. "May I?" He asked politely, offering to escort her down the street.

Martee

Cara slipped her arm through Gregory's with a nod. "You absolutely may," she replied, "But as the new girl in town, I'm afraid I must insist you decide on lunch. And I expect a bit of a tour, while we're at it."

She wasn't trying to be difficult. She really had no idea what to expect from the small village, especially as it compared to the city she lived in back home. The last thing Cara wanted was to make Gregory feel bad, or ask for something that wasn't available anywhere within a three hour drive. Besides, leaving it to him gave him a chance to show off his hometown.

As they walked away from the house and towards Gairloch, Cara was quiet and contemplative. So far everything had gone better than she could have wished for, and it was only her first full day!

"I can't believe you came by to see me, and with flowers, no less!" She laughed, and gave Gregory's arm a light squeeze. "If you're not careful, Gregory McClellan, you'll end up spoiling me, and then what will you do?"

Eranil Morathim

Gregory smiled contentedly as he walked into town again with Cara on his arm "Aye then, I know a place that serves Irish food as well. Ye may find something ye are comfortable with. And ye needn't worry, I'll not ask ye to try Haggis." He said with a chuckle as he led her down the main road and into town.

"And what would make ye think I wouldn't come to see ye?" he asked, once more trying to look upset with her and failing miserably. Laughing before she would even start to get the impression he was truly upset. He made no comment about spoiling her. He only smiled warmly at her, his gray eyes dancing.

He showed her a few shops along the way, pointing out the florist. Aila was waving at him as they walked past. Though he didn't think she was interested, though she had surprised him before, he pointed out the blacksmith as well as the tailor. "There is more to see, but maybe we can do that later." He said as he led her into a quaint little cafe on a side street.

They were brought to a small table that was fairly separated from the rest of them. He pulled Cara's chair out for her before seating himself. "Order whatever ye like." He said before she could even ask. He had no intention of limiting any spending today. He had little else to spend his money on anyway and worked enough to splurge when he wanted to.

Martee

Professor McKnight’s home was only a short walk from the main road running through Gairloch, and in only a few minutes they were walking down a road lined with shops. Gregory’s running commentary made Cara smile - as much as she enjoyed the tour, she was enjoying the sound of his voice more.  As they passed the florist, she felt a pang of regret. Now she wished she’d brought the with her.  Cara hoped the smile and wave she gave the woman in front of the shop would be thanks enough.

When Gregory asked her why she thought he wouldn’t come see her, Cara fell silent for a moment. Now, of course, it was obvious how unfounded her concerns had been, but last night, once all of the excitement of the day had died down...

“Oh, I don’t know.” Cara began. She shrugged. “Yesterday was a bit of an overwhelming day. Once things had calmed down, and we finished unpacking my trunk,” she gave him a rueful grin, “it all seemed so - not real. Like a dream, not the kind of thing that happens to me.” She looked back up at him. “I’m glad I was wrong.”

Gregory had led them to a small cafe, just off the main road. She grinned, blushing again, as he held her chair for her when she sat down. Cara looked over the menu as he took his seat and realized she was barely hungry - and even if she was, the nervous flutters in her belly would make it almost impossible to eat.  Still, Gregory was taking great pains to take her out for a nice lunch, and she didn’t want to be difficult.

“I think I’m going to have a salad, actually.” She looked at him over the top of the menu.  Guys always seemed irritated when the girls ordered salads, but it was all Cara could thought she could manage to eat at the moment.  “And some sparkling water.  With lemon.”  She put the menu down and folded her hands in her lap, so he wouldn’t see just how nervous she was.

Eranil Morathim

He couldn't help but chuckle to himself a bit when Cara simply ordered a salad. He didn't really mind, but found it a bit amusing. "Not very hungry then are ye?" he asked with a grin as he perused his own menu. "I'll have the roast venison." He told the waitress when she arrived to take their orders. He handed the woman his menu while Cara placed her order.

Once they were alone Gregory gazed at Cara across the table, losing himself in the emerald seas of her eyes for a moment. "I want to thank ye for joining me today Cara. I really enjoy your company." he said quietly while he gazed at her.

He wanted to reach across the table and take her hand, but refrained himself from doing so and simply smiled at Cara. "So, tell me a but more about yourself." he said after a few moments. "Ye gave me quite a vague description yesterday." He said with a sly smile as he recalled her telling him she got into just enough trouble to have fun. "I'd like to know what it is ye consider fun." He finished. 

Martee

Cara sighed. She hated talking about herself. It was really quite a boring subject, but she knew Gregory wouldn't let her off that easily - and it would give her something else to focus on besides the way he was looking at her across the table.

"Sorry about the salad - I had a muffin for breakfast earlier." That sounded ridiculous, even to herself. "It was a really big muffin," she went on, using her hands to indicate something the size of a grapefruit, then a large melon - both absurdly large for a muffin. She grinned at Gregory - "And don't even ask about the blueberries..." She leaned across the table, whispering theatrically, "I've never seen anything like 'em in all my life!"

Her nerves were a mess. Cara wasn't especially adept at handling herself when she was nervous, and if she didn't relax soon she was going to humiliate herself in front of the most amazing man she'd ever met.

She sat back in her chair, taking a breath and calming herself. "What do I do for fun, then? Hmm. I may have made myself out to be a bit more exciting than is accurate." Cara shrugged, catching Gregory's eyes with her own. "I live near the city centre, so there's always something going on. Music, performers, things like that." She grinned then, mirroring the sly smile he had given her earlier. "We used to sneak into the 16 and up films at the cinema, but I don't have to do that anymore..." Another shrug. "I'm afraid I'm not really one for mischief or rebellion."

"Mostly we just hang out, my girlfriends and I. Sometimes a few of the boys join us, but usually not. They're not really into the girl talk." She rolled her eyes. "Can't imagine why not..."

Surprisingly, Cara was finding herself relaxing the longer they sat there talking.  "I go to a private school in Galway. It's a good school, really tough though. I didn't usually have a lot of free time once all my studying was done." She traced a finger idly along the dark grain of the tabletop, peering across the table every so often to check if Gregory was completely bored yet.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory nodded when she explained she had eaten. But struggled to keep from bursting into roaring laughter as she described this muffin to him. "You'll have to tell me where to find those." He said fighting through chuckles to speak. "A muffin like that would be a good breakfast for someone like me." he said still chuckling as he spoke.

He listened intently as she told him a bit more about herself. He smiled while she spoke, wanting to learn as much about this girl as he could. She didn't seem to think anything she did was that interesting, he felt differently though. It may not have been anything exciting or interesting to anyone else, but Gregory felt it important to know as much about her as possible. The more he knew, the better idea he would have on what type of person she was.

"Well getting into too much mischief is overrated." He agreed with a grin, not mentioning he'd gotten into his share over the years with his friends. He chuckled to himself a bit as he thought of some of the things he'd done as a kid but quickly brought his attentions back where they belonged.

"Well I certainly hope ye can find the time to enjoy this island as much as ye do your home." he replied in a welcoming tone. "Ye've obviously worked hard and deserve some time to do that. I'd be happy to take ye around sometime if ye have the free time." He offered as the waitress brought their meals to them.

Martee

The salad set before her was enough to feed them both, and looked as if it had been grown fresh from a garden behind the cafe. Likewise, Gregory's venison looked and smelled delicious, although how he could eat like that before noon, Cara could not begin to guess. Of course, she also could not lift a nearly 70-kilo trunk and carry it around. That sort of activity probably built up a healthy appetite.

"If you don't mind," She replied, segregating the cherry tomatoes from the rest of her salad with her fork. "I'd love to see more of the area. And I don't think free time will be a problem. Seems the Professor likes being back for the weekend whenever possible." Once all the tomatoes were corralled to the edge of the plate, Cara carefully mixed the rest of the salad. "We're heading out on Monday, actually. Not too far, just outside Ullapool for a few days. And close enough to the town so we don't have to camp."

Cara stabbed at the salad. "I've not actually ever camped overnight, so..." She looked over at Gregory sheepishly. "I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy that part of things. I don't mind hiking and digging in dirt and mud, but bugs? Ugh." She made a terrible face, shaking her head.

"Enough about me though. I want to hear about you." She looked across the table with no small amount of suspicion. "How do you know mischief is overrated? What dark secrets hide behind that charming smile?" Cara waved her fork at Gregory. "Come on then, I can't do all the talking."  She took a big bite of the salad, savoring the crunchiness of the fresh vegetables and forcing him to talk.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory thanks the server when their food was brought to them. He wanted to simply devour the roast. Minding his manners though he took his time. He looked at Cara as she spoke. "Of course, I would be more than happy to show ye around whenever we can." He replied in earnest. He truly did want to spend as much time with her as he could, but then something Meredith told him rang in his head. "Ye should focus more on the reason ye came though. I don't want ye to miss out on such an experience on my account." He finished. He tone was still jovial and honest. He really didn't want Cara to miss anything. And he did have work to think of, as well as his training.

He chuckled a bit when she mentioned camping and the bugs, but before he could reply she had already redirected the conversation. He choked a bit on the water he had just taken a drink of due to laughing aloud. "I'm not sure i should tell ye, but ok fair is fair." He said his face reddening a little. "When i was younger, my friends and I had a tendency to chase the cattle and sheep, usually two at a time at the most, just to watch them run through town." He said, shaking his head at the thought. "We wrestled as boys do and often wound up hurting each other without meaning to, spent much time on the coast, climbing along the rocks and poking at the animals in the tide pools. Driftwood fires on the beach where we would more often then not behave like madmen." He couldn't help but smile a bit as he spoke "Aye, I was a bit of a demon child but i try to behave myself now." he said still laughing a little.

Martee

Cara all but forgot her salad as she listened to Gregory's recollections of his wild childhood. Watching the red blush creep across his face made her feel much better about her own anxiety over their unexpected lunch date. When he had finished talking, Cara gave him a reassuring smile. "Aw, now that doesn't sound all that bad, really. Bonfires on the beach - sounds like a lot of fun. And as far as the rest," She shrugged. "Sounds about normal for boys. Although, the sheep and cattle might not agree."

For a few minutes Cara was silent, returning to her salad. She really wasn't very hungry, but she also wasn't about to let those delectable tomatoes go to waste. She popped one in her mouth, chewing slowly and savoring it. When she finished, she grinned. "Best salad I've had all day."

"Please don't worry about taking me from my responsibilities, Gregory. If you only knew what I went through to get my parents to agree to this..." Her voice trailed off as she rolled her eyes and shook her head. "This is really important to me. I'm very lucky Professor McKnight was willing to take on a student like me. I've already started on some of the organizing I'll be responsible for." Impulsively, she reached out, squeezing Gregory's hand where it was resting on the table across from her. "I won't get in any trouble, promise."

Realizing what she'd done, Cara pulled her hand back, lowering her face to her embarassment. "Um, and from what you said yesterday, it sounds like you have a lot of things going on as well." She did not look up again, hiding behind her pale red hair and chasing down another plump tomato with her fork.

Eranil Morathim

"Aye, I suppose some would say i was a normal young boy" He agreed. "But I also got into my share of trouble, but we'll not discuss that now, the livestock set precedent enough to incriminate me." He said with a grin.

He simply smiled at Her comment about the salad. He couldn't take credit for it but was glad he had chosen this cafe to eat. His heart skipped a beat when she took his hand form across the table. For a moment his head was swimming as she spoke. He heard her clearly but it took a while for the words to register with him. Finally he came back to earth with the slightest shake of his head. "Cara, I would be an honor and a pleasure for me to show ye the village." He said softly.

When she pulled her hand away he paused for a moment before reaching across the table and placing his hand on hers. His massive hand nearly engulfed hers. "As long as ye are sure, then I'm more than willing." he said still barely speaking above a whisper.

He finished the last few bites of his lunch before he spoke again. "For ye lass, I can easily make time. " He said with a smile. I've some vacation time from work, and it's fairly easy for me to get a day off when i need it. Though sometimes they grumble about heavy loads." He grinned, his eyes sparkling a little as he reached for his wallet and paid the server.

"Shall we then?" He asked once more offering his arm to Cara. "The main things I concern myself with at this time of year are the Highland games, which i told ye about already. And my Da's events. I don't believe I told ye, but he wrestles. Marty "The Butcher" McClellen" Maybe ye've heard of him." He explained. he was getting a bit long winded now, but spoke on. "i help him quite a bit in and out of the ring, I've also wrestled with him a couple of times. I plan to get into it further sometime." He finished confiding in her one of his greatest passions as they strolled along.

Martee

Cara bit her lip and smiled when she felt Gregory’s hand slide over hers. It was a simple, sweet gesture, but it made her heart pound.  The salad was forgotten, and she could barely hear what he was saying.  All of her thoughts focused on the heavy warmth of his hand on top of her own.  She nodded absently at him, completely oblivious to what it was she was agreeing to. 

The blissful spell was broken when Gregory moved to pay their check and get up from the table.  Once again he offered his arm, and Cara was glad to take it as he led them out onto the street.  She was thoroughly enjoying their walk back through the village when Gregory mentioned his father, or more specifically, his father’s occupation and apparent nickname.  She stopped short, her mouth hanging open in disbelief.

“Oh, no, you can’t be serious...” She began, looking up at him. “The Butcher?  Really, I can’t say I’ve ever heard of him. Are you pulling my leg?”  She was shaking her head.  Surely Gregory was joking.  Here she was, walking down the road on a gorgeous day, on the arm of the sweetest, most gentle and thoughtful man she’d ever had the pleasure of meeting... and he’s talking about fighting with people... for fun.

Looking up into those grey eyes, she could tell - he wasn’t kidding at all.  Without thinking, Cara slipped into one of her mother’s favorite expressions.“Och! A amaidí! You’re serious?!”

Eranil Morathim

Gregory looked down and smiled at Cara softly."Aye I am quite serious. Ye know it's choreographed don't ye? Everyone get along far better than you would think." He explained as they walked along a trail that led down towards the beach.

"Though injuries happen, they aren't as frequent as you would think. People work together quite well, respecting that they are all making a living out of it. It's not as barbaric as it looks on television, I promise ye that." He continued, trying to calm her seemingly rattled nerves as they strode across the beach together now. "my Da' isn't nearly as vicious as his name makes him sound I assure ye, in fact he's quite the teddy bear as my Ma says." Gregory chuckled a but as they walked across the sand.

Martee

Stupid girl, she thought to herself.  Of course it's not real. She hadn't actually known that, though - it wasn't as if watching wrestling was the normal thing for her to do.  She shook her head, more than a little chagrined at her outburst.  "I didn't know that, actually.  Um, but that's good to know..."  Cara smiled. "Although, I'm not sure the idea that you could get hurt sits too well with me." Realizing what she just said, she tried to backpedal a little, stumbling over her words.

"I mean, I don't want to see anyone get hurt.  Not just you.  Of course, not you either...!" She was making a fool of herself again, and decided that changing the subject was probably the best idea.

They were walking down a beach not unlike some of the beaches close to her home.  The sun was shining off the water, making Cara squint against the glare, but the breeze coming in off the sea had the wonderful tang of salt on it.  The wind caught her hair, sending it across her face, and she had to stop walking for a moment to pull it back under control.

"It's really quite beautiful, Gregory.  Thank you for bringing me down here."  She had to turn and face him when she spoke so the wind wouldn't drown out her voice.  Instead of just slipping her arm back through his, Cara slid her hand into Gregory's, slipping her fingers between his.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory simply chuckled as she tried to explain herself. "I thank ye for your concern but as I said injuries are rare. Besides I'm a resilient fellow." He said beating his chest jokingly a bit before rapping his head playfully a bit. "Not much to hurt upstairs either." He said with a smile before he turned back to her. "Cara, I promise ye, people are rarely injured and it's even less often that it's anything besides a few bumps and bruises."

When she stopped and looked around he gazed down at her. Cara's hand slipped into his he smiled to himself and felt his soul dancing within him. He squeezed he hand gently. "This isn't what i wanted to show ye though. Follow me."

He took her hand and led her to what appeared to be a cliff soaring upwards to block them from walking any further. Gregory led her inland a bit before turning towards the cliff again. He found a passageway in the rock and led Cara through it carefully.

Once they had emerged from the stone passageway they were greeted by a beautiful little cove. A small waterfall ran from the rocks to fall into a small lagoon before heading out into the ocean. Trees and shrubs grew all around. Sunlight shone in the cove as though it were something out of a movie. Birds could be heard singing in the trees. Tide pools dotted the area, brimming with ocean life. "This is where I wanted to bring ye." He said as he looked at her awaiting her reaction. "I found this area some time ago. it's quite a special place to me and I wanted to share it with ye."

Martee

She was surprised that this wasn’t their destination - the beach really was beautiful, and seemed like the perfect place to relax after lunch. However, when Gregory led her by the hand away from the beach, Cara didn’t hesitate to follow. She was a little concerned as they approached the cliff face - she wasn’t wearing the right shoes for climbing - but the concern evaporated as he led them confidently through a narrow path that led down to...

A cove

Cara’s mouth fell open and she gasped in awe at the sight before them.  This was nothing at all like the beaches back home. It didn’t look real at first. “This is amazing, the most amazing place I’ve ever seen...” For a moment she could only stare at the small lagoon, the waterfall - it was magical.  

She couldn’t help herself.  Turning to Gregory, Cara smiled up at him - before kicking off her shoes and rolling up the hem of her jeans. "I'll race you!" She said to him with a wicked grin, before dashing down to the water’s edge.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory laughed and kicked of his shoes as well before chasing after Cara as she dashed towards the lagoon. "I may be big, but that doesn't make me slow!" He called from behind her as he closed the distance between them. Soon he had closed the gap completely and scooped her up around the waist as he came up behind her. He spun around holding her in his arms, smiling and laughing the entire time.

He stopped at the edge of the water and gently set her down, absently keeping his arm around her waist as he looked at her. "I'm glad ye like it Cara, It's the second most beautiful thing on this island right now." He said his smokey gray eyes gazing softly into her emerald orbs.

"This is a wonderful place to find abalone as well." He pointed out as he spotted a few and pointed them out to her. "I often find myself coming down here just to enjoy the quiet solitude of it all though. But I'm happy to share it with ye." He told her with a smile that said clearly he was happy to be sharing this moment with her.

He could tell he was falling for her already but he didn't want to say anything for fear of inadvertently chasing her off. He wanted this to turn out in the best possible fashion so he chose to not say yet what he felt for her. He simply stood and admired her as they shared in the beauty of the cove.

Martee

She didn't have much of a head start but Cara still shrieked in surprise when Gregory's strong arms caught her around the waist and pulled her up into the air. Her breath caught as he swung her around before setting her down at the water.

Cara slipped her arms around Gregory's waist and smiled back at him. Everything had been so perfect - the kind of day you read about in books or see in a film. All of this attention had her head swimming, as did Gregory's comment then about the island. She knew what he was trying to say, and felt her face redden in response.

She pulled her eyes from his, looking down at the sand where the tide lapped onshore at their feet. Her toes dug into the sand, which felt warm despite the cool ocean water that kept flooding up. "Ah, Meredith would be so flattered to hear what you thought of her," Cara teased, peeking back up at Gregory as she did so.

"Thank you so much for this, Gregory, for sharing this place with me." Cara leaned her head against his chest, going up on her toes and pulling her arms up around his neck in a quick embrace.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory smiled and returned her embrace wholeheartedly. Still he held his hand around her waist. "Meredith? She may be in someone's top five beautiful things on the island, but ye top my list by far, Cara." He said with a soft smile as he absently brushed some of her pale red hair from her face.

"Beauty like this simply begs to be shared. I was simply looking for the right person, someone who would appreciate it as much as I do, and it seems I've found her." He said as he gently squeezed Cara around her waist again, pulling her a little closer.

Without warning, He peeled off his shirt and jumped into the lagoon splashing water everywhere. "Ye coming for a swim then?" he asked when he had resurfaced. Keeping his tone as level and seriously inquisitive as he possibly could as he fought back laughter.

Martee

Cara felt Gregory’s arms tighten around her and her heart started to pound in anticipation. She was insanely nervous and giddy at the same time, absolutely certain he was about to kiss her.  She looked up at him… And he suddenly backed away, grinning like a mad man as he pulled off his shirt and dove into the water. “Wait- don’t!” She started to say, throwing her hands up in a futile attempt to block the ensuing deluge.

Cara was just able to turn away from the worst of the splash, but there was still a fair amount of cold seawater that drenched her side, back, hair. She dashed back on to the beach, out of the surf and far enough away that she wouldn’t be hit with any other rogue waves.  She was laughing, surprised and amused that Gregory would dive into the water half-dressed. As he resurfaced she crossed her arms across her chest and fixed him with steely glare, softened somewhat by the half-smile tugging at one corner of her lips.

“I can’t believe you did that!” She called to him.  “You could have warned me you know!”  She craned her neck back over one shoulder, making it obvious that despite her dry front, she hadn’t escaped some soaking.  At least it hadn’t been her front – the thin shirt she wore would be more see-through than not if it had gotten wet. “And, no, I certainly won’t be swimming in that freezing water! I’m not dressed for it-“ Not that he was, but it was different for guys, wasn’t it?

Here Cara paused, uncrossing her arms and rubbing at the back of her neck with one hand self-consciously.  She walked over to a tide pool and sat down on one of the larger boulders surrounding it, watching Gregory in the deeper surf.

“Anyway,” She yelled out to him, “I can’t swim.”

Eranil Morathim

"Where would the fun have been in that?" he laughed back at her as he treaded water a few feet from her. "Besides it's not as cold as ye think." He explained as he made his way out of the surf and onto shore. "Ye'll learn to expect the unexpected if ye spend enough time with me, Cara. He called back, still smiling as she made her way over to one of the boulders that dotted the cove.

He made his way towards her, scooping up his shirt as he walked past it. Using his shirt to dry his face he sat down next to her, still dripping wet. "I suppose that's something we'll have to remedy than isn't it?" He asked with a smile when she said he couldn't swim.

He toweled of his upper body as best he could with his shirt as he sat with her in the mid day sunlight. He felt as if he could spend not only the rest of the day, but the rest of his life right here with her and be perfectly content. He offered Cara his shirt to towel herself off a little. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to soak ye that bad. It's not much, but this will help with the worst of it." He apologized as he held out his t shirt. 

Martee

Cara leaned back on her elbows, a wry grin twisting her lips as she watched Gregory make his way out of the surf and up onto the beach towards her.  The water plastered his hair to his head and neck, and ran in heavy rivulets down his body, leaving a trail of beaded, wet sand behind him.  She didn’t bother hiding the fact that she was staring at him, in fact, she even raised a hand to shade her eyes, the better to see him as he approached.

Wet denim, she thought. Was there any worse feeling in the world? Cara shook her head and laughed as Gregory sat down. Better him than her.

“I sure hope you didn’t have anything important in your pockets.”

She shook her head when he offered his shirt.  “No thank you, it’s really not that bad.” Cara gave a pointed glance to his soaked jeans before looking back up at Gregory’s face. “A little while in the sun should do it, unless you’re in a hurry to get back...”

At that, Cara rearranged herself on the rocks, lying on her front so the sun could dry the back of her clothing.  She could just reach down into the tide pool below the rocks, trailing her fingers in the water. Making herself comfortable.  In no hurry at all to go anywhere.

“I have to tell you, Gregory - everything about you so far has been unexpected.  I’m not sure you’ll be able to surprise me much more after today. Although, if you could teach me to swim after everyone else I know failed, I’ll be positively shocked

Eranil Morathim

Gregory reached into his pockets and retrieved his now dripping wet phone. "Aye that can't be good for it." he chuckled. "Looks like I'm buying a new phone later." he said as he sat next to Cara. He laid out his shirt and took the battery out of his phone, placing all the pieces on his shirt in an effort to dry it out. Hopefully that will work for now." he said more to himself.

He laid himself out on the boulder next to her and turned and smiled. "Cara, not only am I not in a hurry, I would just as soon stop time in this moment and be perfectly happy." He said as he gently placed a hand on her back as he laid next to her.

"I'll do everything I know to teach ye to swim." he said as he lightly rubbed her back "Maybe we'll go to Loch Ness sometime and ye can swim with Nessie after I teach ye." He joked, chuckling a little as he said it. Gregory brushed his wet hair from his face and smiled to himself, still gently rubbing Cara's back as they lay on the smooth boulders together.

Martee

Oh no, came the thought, as Cara watched Gregory pull the dripping phone from his pocket.  She shook her head, surprised and amused at the decidedly level reaction to his own error.  While it appeared he may hold out some hope for salvaging the thing, Cara was pretty sure the phone was a goner.  That rules out calling him for a while…

The phone, however, was quickly forgotten as Gregory arranged himself next to her and began to run his hand up and down her back.  The first touch sent a shiver up her spine, but gradually the sensation began to relax her, lying in the warm sunshine.  Cara folded her arms under her chin and laid her head upon them, closing her eyes and thoroughly enjoying his attention.  Her response to him was hardly a response at all, just an agreeable, murmured Mmmhmm when he mentioned stopping the clock and staying just like this.

As he mentioned the Loch Ness monster, however, she had to grin, sparkling green eyes peering over at him in amusement.  “Oh, you’re not helping yourself, or me, saying things like that”  Cara laughed, turning to her side to face him. She reached out, running a few fingers through his wet hair before resting her hand on his cheek.  “You’re lucky you’re so charming, Gregory McClellen, because I’m beginning to see that wild streak you mentioned.”

Eranil Morathim

"Nessie is harmless." He replied with a grin shaking his head. "Nah, I'm only kidding, i don't even think I'm ready for that, from what I hear that water is dreadfully cold and deep. It would be fun to try sometime though." he added, still chuckling. "I know a few places to take ye to teach ye how to swim. Some small lochs and rivers and such." He reassured her, his hand still now resting at the small of her back.

Gregory put his free hand over Cara's as she held a hand on his cheek and smiled at her. "Cara, my dear, ye've not seen anything yet." He said with a smile his own gray orbs twinkling a little as the two of them locked eyes. "I am glad ye think me charming though. It means I've been doing something right this whole time." He chuckled and gently pulled Cara a little closer to him, kissing her lightly on the cheek.

Gregory once again lost himself in the emerald green seas of Cara's eyes. "I have to admit, I never thought I would be as happy I went to work as I was yesterday." He said softly, his eyes still locked on her.

Martee

She almost laughed when he told her, no, more like, warned her, that she hadn’t seen anything yet.  Almost. But the mood changed suddenly, as Gregory pulled her close, pressing a kiss to her cheek. Oh yes, he was definitely doing something right she thought, as the soft warmth of his lips on her face caused her to blush furiously.  It wasn’t from embarrassment, though, and Cara loved the way he made her feel.

When she brought her eyes back up to his, she smiled, sweeping her thumb along his cheek lightly.  “I’m glad you were there too – and not only because you helped me with my luggage.” Her grin widened – “but that was definitely a big help!”

Cara leaned forward, pressing her forehead against Gregory’s, not kissing him – just, touching her face to his. Her eyes were closed and a smile was affixed to her lips. For several long moments sge stayed that way, holding his face to hers.

Her voice was very soft when she finally spoke.

“I think you may end up being my favorite part of this trip, Gregory.”

Eranil Morathim

"I guess not being the brightest guy in the world but being able to lift heavy things is good for something." Gregory chuckled when she commented about his helping her with the trunk. He savored the feeling of the soft, supple skin of her hand on his face for a moment before she pulled him close and pressed their foreheads together.

For a moment Gregory said nothing when she spoke. "I know I'm certainly glad to have met ye, Cara." he said softly as they sat together. "I've never been so happy to spend time with someone as I am to simply be around ye." He added, wanting to hold her close to him but unable to due to the way they were positioned on the boulder.

Shifting to sit sideways he pulled Cara close enough that she could rest her head on his shoulder if she chose to he smiled down to her. His smokey gray eyes gleaming at her. "I've a confession to make Cara. He started softly as he looked down at her. "I think I've fallen for ye, nay, I know I've fallen for ye." He said with a smile as he held her close. Content to sit where they were and watch the surf break on the shore as long as he was with her.

Martee

Cara frowned, just a little, when Gregory commented that he wasn't the brightest. She didn't like to hear anyone talk about themselves that way, and certainly not him. She remained silent for the moment, however, rubbing his cheek, and resting her head on his shoulder when he shifted around.

His words surprised her, although she tried hard to not show it. They'd known each other less than a day, was it possible to already care so much about another person? But everytime she looked up, and stared into his beautiful grey eyes, the lityle skip in heart told her it was definitely possible, because she felt the same way.

As lovely as it was to lie there with him, in silent repose, Cara wasn't entirely satisfied. She wasn't especially bold normally, and wasn't trying to be now - but having his face so close, and having such sweet sentiments spoken to her - it was really more than any girl could be expected to take, now wasn't it?

She smiled shyly up at him, moving her hand down to cup along his jaw.

"In that case, I hope you don't mind me doing this..."

Cara tilted her chin, pulling his face to hers and pressing her lips against his in a kiss.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory was about to speak when Cara's lips met his. He closed his eyes and returned her kiss, holding her close to him. He was in absolute bliss. The taste of her lips upon his was incredible. It was at that moment he knew he wanted nothing more than to be with her. Nothing else seemed to matter while their lips touched, everything else was gone except for the two of them.

Slowly, Gregory pulled himself away from her and smiled at her. There was a new air about him now, as if something had changed within that short time span that they had been locked together. "I was about to say I wouldn't mind anything ye did." He started "Now I have to refine that and say not only do I not mind, but I encourage ye to do that as often as possible" He said with a grin as he brushed a few stray hairs from her face gently.

Martee

Emboldened as she was by his words, Cara was still quite nervous as she pulled him into that first kiss.  Her heart pounded as their lips met, but the worries quickly dissolved as Gregory returned it in earnest, his lips melting into hers as if made for each others.  It ended all too soon, however, as he pulled away, gently - only to ask for more.

She grinned and gave a nervous laugh. “I think you’ve given me all the encouragement I need, but I don’t know if I should go spoiling you just yet."  They were empty words, however, and she could not help but slide her arms around his shoulders, pulling him back down into another kiss - just as sweet, but less hesitant and more insistent.  She kept him there longer as her fingers slid through his hair, breaking the kiss only when she was ready to.

“That will have to do you for now, I think,” she teased, rubbing her nose against his.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory wrapped his arms around her as she pulled him close again. Whatever words he had been about to say were forgotten. This time he knew what was coming and readily met Cara's lips with his own. The taste of her lips, sweet and succulent on his own. He breathed deeply through his nose as he held her close.

Only when she pulled her lips from his did Gregory open his eyes. He smiled at her as she spoke. "I suppose I can live with that for now." he said with a chuckle as he looked out across the ocean. "It looks like we're going to be getting rained on soon." he said as he pointed to the heavy gray clouds that were still out to sea. "I can't tell how far it is, but we have two choices." He started as he got down from the boulder they had been sitting on and helped Cara before grabbing his shirt and the pieces to his phone. "We can either go to the cave behind that waterfall and try to wait it out, or we can start to make our way back to town and see if we can stay dry. I'll take ye all the way back to the professor's if that's what ye want though." He said as they started walking away from the shore and through the cove, Gregory waiting for Cara's decision.

Martee

Cara looked out at the storm clouds building across the water and frowned.  And everything had been so perfect, she thought, more than a little disappointed.  She sighed as Gregory helped her down onto the sand and thought for a minute.

“Hmm.” The cave sounded... interesting, certainly - but there was no telling how long it would rain, and she was sure Gregory hadn’t come prepared for dealing with a dark cave.  Climbing behind a waterfall also promised the prospect of getting soaked again - something she wasn’t especially interested in doing at the moment.  She also wasn’t in a rush to leave Gregory, but at the same time, she did have a responsibility to Professor McKnight, something that had slipped her mind entirely in the last half hour.

There was a a regretful smile on her face as she turned to him.  “I hate to say it, but it’d probably be best if we made our way back to the professor’s.  I don’t want to get stuck somewhere in a downpour, as much as I’ve enjoyed the day with you.” She slipped her hand into Gregory’s and let him lead the way out of the cove.

“Besides, I’ve taken up enough of your time.  Don’t you have training to do?”  She squeezed his hand and grinned.  “I can’t have some other brawny fellow besting you if I’m going to be cheering your name, now can I?”

Eranil Morathim

"Aye then, off we go." He replied as he slipped an arm around the small of her back. When they reached the stone tunnel, Gregory once again hoisted her up onto the rocks and helped her through, following close behind. He hopped down behind her and they continued their walk up the trail and back to the village.

"Aye ye are right again, I should do some training. I'll have to see if we get a good Scottish rain and it comes straight down rather than a slant before I decide though." He agreed to her comment about his training. As much as he didn't want to be leaving Cara's side any time soon, he knew they both had things to do. Though his were not nearly so important as hers. At least not to him anyway, she was the one that was here for school and had a job to do for a rather well known archaeologist. Gregory lived on the island and had all the time he needed to do his things. He was sure Cara wouldn't listen to a word of that argument though.

He held his arm at the small of her back, keeping her as close as he could while they walked up the path and through the village. Gregory pulled away from her only for a moment to pull is shirt, still damp with sea water, over his head and back on. A split second after his shirt was back on he had his arm around Cara. Using his free hand, Gregory brushed his hair out of his face and tucked his braid behind his ear, only to have it fall again moments later.

Gregory watched ahead of them as they walked, knowing his time with Cara today was now almost over. The professor's manor growing closer with every step. It seemed they would beat the rain though. Gregory saw the clouds still building over the sea, though they didn't seem to carry any threat of a dangerous storm.

Martee

Cara shot Gregory a look - “Oh, now surely a little rain won’t stop you from training, now will it?  A tough fellow like yourself?  You’re already drenched, aren’t you?” She smiled then, to soften the edge of her teasing.  Being stuck out in the rain was never any fun, not as far as she was concerned.  And while she wasn’t entirely clear on what kind of training he had to do, it probably wasn’t the sort of thing you wanted to do in a downpour.  Regardless, she couldn’t help but poke fun at his earlier impulsive decision, and current damp situation.

As they approached the village, she noticed he tried to make himself look a little less disheveled and appreciated the effort.  Not that she minded the way he had looked, shirtless and wet - not at all. All the same, better no one they passed got the wrong idea about their innocent afternoon.  Curiosity got the best of her then, and she reached up to tug gently at the braid he wore, just like she had wanted to the day before.

“I like it,” She began with wink. “What do you wear it for?  You don’t see many fellows walking around with a braid in their hair.”

The clouds were still gathering, but not as quickly as before.  Deciding there’d be no harm in lingering a little longer, Cara deliberately slowed her pace. With his phone drenched, this may be the last chance they had to talk for a while, and she wanted it to last.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory jerked and started a bit when Cara tugged on his braid. He had been keeping an eye on the storm for a moment. He slowed his pace to match hers and smiled softly. "It goes back to the Fianna warriors, along with many other ancient Scottish warrior tribes. A single braid on the side of the head is one of many symbols of being a warrior. I really only wear it around the time of the Highland games. Kind of a way to delve a bit deeper into our heritage. I don't consider myself a warrior like they were, and certainly nowhere near the level of the Fianna, but I would defend my family, my friends, and my land to my last breath if the need arose."

He shrugged a bit after his explanation before continuing. "As for my training, It would be a bit harder to lift and throw a caber if it's soaked and slick with rain, same for the stones." He chuckled before giving her a bit of a squeeze. "It doesn't matter how strong you are if you can't hold something that big." He smiled as he stated this a bit matter of factly.   

He continued to match her greatly slowed pace as they strolled through the village. "Don't worry about my phone by the way." He started, almost as if he was trying to reassure her. "I'll be getting it replaced either today or tomorrow. And I'll be keeping the same number so you won't have top worry about that either." He looked down at Cara and simply smiled as they walked

Martee

The hedges that edged the McKnight property had come into view up ahead, and Cara knew from the day before that in just a moment the house itself would be visible.  The sky beyond was still a bright blue, but the wind blowing at their backs and tangling her strawberry tresses promised stormy conditions shortly.

Cara returned Gregory’s squeeze, tightening her arm around his waist. “I wasn’t worried about the phone – I’m sure you would have found another way to get in touch. You’re certainly resourceful enough, tracking me down as you did.”  She knew it couldn’t have been very hard, considering how much they had talked the day before – but he’d gone through the trouble all the same, and that meant a lot.

It didn’t matter how slow they walked – every step brought them inexorably closer to the end of their spontaneous date.  Knowing Meredith would probably be around, Cara stopped well before they could be seen from the house, stepping in front of Gregory and taking both of his hands in her own. She found it hard to meet his eyes, but she did, forcing herself into a reluctant smile.

“I want to thank you again, Gregory.  For all of it – the flowers, and lunch, and taking me to that cove… I’ve never had such an amazing day, and I can’t thank you enough. It was all very unexpected, but I’m very glad you went to all the trouble. Even if you had to sacrifice your phone to do it.” The smile on her face became genuine as a quick laugh escaped her lips.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory's strides became smaller and smaller as they slowed their pace. He ignored the wind blowing through his hair as he walked with Cara. "I don't have to be very resourceful when everyone in the village knows where Professor McKnight stays." He chuckled as Cara moved in front of him.

He stopped when Cara moved herself to stand in front of him wither her back to the manor property. Knowing their time together for the day was almost at a close he forced a smile as well. Though he knew their time together had to end sooner or later, he didn't want it to.

Gregory closed his hands around hers and his smile became more genuine as she spoke. "It was no trouble, and my great pleasure to take ye around today, Cara. Well worth the sacrifice too." His smile grew wider now as he grinned at her. He took one hand from hers and brushed her hair from her face before leaning forward and lightly kissing her on the lips.

"I can't wait to see ye again either." He pulled away slowly and moved to her side again. "I suppose though, we should be getting ye back. I'll walk ye up to the house." He said reluctantly as he started them once more walking slowly back to the McKnight manor.

Martee

That light kiss sent Cara's heart soaring, the perfect end to a perfect day. She knew her cheeks were red when they parted, but the heat in her face was no match for the burning in the center of her chest. Still, she felt unaccountably shy when he said he wanted to see her again, and kept her eyes focused on the ground before her as they approached the house.

At the door Cara turned, finally looking up at Gregory. "I'm sure you're going to be busy the next few days, but call me when you can? We'll be heading out in a few days, but I don't think we'll be gone too long." She reached a hand up to his cheek. "I'll talk to you soon."

With one last, small smile, Cara slipped into the house.

Meredith was in the kitchen, and called out when she heard the door shut. "Cara? That you?"

Cara made her way back to the kitchen, fighting the mad grin that threatened to overwhelm her face. "Yes, it's me. I'm back." She replied, somewhat unnecessarily as she entered the kitchen. The sight of the flowers Gregory had brought her, arranged artfully in a vase on the windowsill, brought a fresh surge of joy through her.

There was a pot of something bubbling away on the stovetop - it smelled amazing as Meredith stirred. "So..." she asked, shooting Cara a wicked grin. "How was your date?"

Cara chewed her lip a moment, both to hide her untameable smile, and to collect her thoughts. She'd didn't want to start gushing like some silly, lovestruck girl-

"Sweet Mary, it was amazing!" She shrieked. Her eyes were wide, dancing, as she looked over at Meredith. "He's the sweetest - I don't even know what to compare him to! We had lunch, and walked down to the beach." She gasped - "And a cove, tucked away there, it was the most beautiful place I've ever seen!"

Meredith turned back to her pot, trying not to laugh at Cara's display, rolling her eyes as the younger girl went on and on... "So I guess you'll be seeing Romeo again at some point?"

"I hope so!" Cara shot back. "We'll have to see when. He has work, and training, and of course I have my responsibilities here..." She fell silent for a moment, running through everything Gregory had talked about in her mind. "You want to hear the oddest thing? He said his father's The Butcher. Isn't that mad?"

"Well, not really," Meredith answered. "I mean, people eat meat, and I know I'm not about to cut up a cow. I don't remember there being a butcher in Gairloch, though..."

Cara cut her off. "No, no - not a butcher. THE Butcher." She made a face, wrinkling her nose in distaste. "He's some kind of wrestler-" The spoon Meredith had been holding suddenly clattered to the floor, making Cara jump.

"Oh my god, are you serious?!" Meredith was yelling, whirling around to face Cara. "His father is Marty McClellan? Marty the Butcher? And he lives here in Gairloch?"

Cara was dumbfounded. Meredith didn't sound scandalized or skeptical - she sounded like a fan. "Uh, well, I would think so - I haven't met him or anything. I don't know where he lives." She shrugged. "Gregory only mentioned his father was a pro wrestler, and that he helped sometimes - it's something he wants to get into himself one day."

Meredith was on the verge of hysteria. "I can't believe it! Gordon's going to flip - he watches the matches too! Oh wow..." Her eyes were wide as she crossed the kitchen towards Cara. "Do you think he'd give me an autograph? Oh, no, wait - do you think I could meet him?" Her hand shot out, grabbing Cara's wrist. "We should have them over for dinner!"

"Uh.." Cara had no idea what to say. Autographs? Dinner with Gregory's parents? Just the idea made her stomach flip nervously. "So," she lifted an eyebrow in question, a smile turning up the corner of her mouth, "I take it that seeing Gregory again won't be a problem?"

Eranil Morathim

Gregory walked up to the Manor with Cara, his arm still around her waist. "I hope ye have fun and make some incredible finds. And of course I'll call ye as soon as I can." He said, his eyes twinkling as he spoke to her. "I can always make time for as beautiful a girl as ye Cara, always." He finished as she started to open the door.

He watched her disappear behind the door before he started walking backwards down the path and waving, though he was certain she couldn't see him, Gregory couldn't help himself. Once he was about halfway down the path, Gregory finally turned and strolled the rest of the way from the manor property, his heart soaring as he walked.

Once off the property, Gregory decided to make sure he got at least some form of training in and broke into a jog. He went off the main roads and ran through the the highland country until he got home. He pushed open the door and stepped inside. "I'm home." He called out as he headed into the main room where his parents were sitting. "Did ye have a good time dear? His mother asked him as he ambled into the room. "Aye ma, thank ye, I was with that girl I told ye about yesterday, She's amazing, brilliant too, she's here from Galway studying under Professor McKnight." He started, "An Irish Lass ye say?" His mother teased. "At this rate the McClellans will have more Irish blood than Scottish." She said with a giggle. She was Irish too after all. His father just turned to look at the two of them and laughed heartily. "Aye, ye couldn't have found a nice Scottish girl could ye Gregory lad?" He teased. Gregory just laughed as his cheeks reddened at his parents playful teasing.

"do ye need any help at the match tonight Da" Gregory asked, partly to change the subject and also because he would have to get ready if Marty needed him. "No lad, ye are free tonight to do as ye please." Marty told him. Gregory nodded and left the room smiling at them. "I need to run back to town, I got my phone wet." He said as he headed out the door.

Running cross country again, Gregory came to the cell phone store and bought a replacement without any trouble. He'd put a bit of a dent in his bank account today, but it was worth it. He generally spent very little on himself anyway. Seeing that the storm had seemed to skirt around them. Gregory headed to his training grounds for a good workout.

A couple of hours later he strolled back home and walked inside quietly. "I'm off to bed, went and did some training for the games after I got my phone." He said to his parents as they were headed out the door. "They waved goodbye to him and got into the car and drove away. Gregory headed upstairs and drifted off to a peaceful sleep.
_________________________________________________________________________________

It was The morning of the Highland games. Gregory was up early eating a hearty breakfast and preparing himself. He hoped to hit his spot in the woods and get a little more practice in before he had to be to the game field. As he ate, Gregory found his mind drifting towards Cara, The last time he had spoke to her had been to tell her when the games were. They both had had very little free time lately, He been busy with work and training and she'd been back and forth with the Professor a lot the past week or so.

Gregory went to his room and dressed for the games. He wrapped his clan kilt around himself. His clan colors of forest green, red, and white making a wonderful plaid pattern around his legs. he pulled his shirt and socks on, finished dressing and headed for the woods. Only having time for a couple of caber tosses and rock throws in, Gregory then hurried off to the game field to register. He then just milled around, talking with a few of the other entrants as he kept an eye out for Cara. Some spectators had already arrived and he was wondering when she would arrive.

Martee

For the tenth time in as many minutes, Cara glanced at her watch with concern. Her leg bounced with nervous energy as she watched the rolling landscape pass by - too slowly, for her. The Highland Games were being held today down by Gairloch, but Cara had been up near Ullapool with Gordon and Meredith. She had been resigned to missing the event, and had been mulling over how to break the news to Gregory, but Meredith had surprised her.

"No pouty faces, Sunshine. Gordon's okay with us heading back for the day - he has some paperwork to file with the town anyway," had come Meredith's unanticipated solution.  Cara hadn't even asked - her priority was the work she was doing for Gordon, obviously. But Meredith had intervened, and managed to snag them they day, and Cara certainly wasn't going to complain.

Well, not too much, anyway. "You're certain we'll make it on time? Because there's a lot of traffic..." Cara gave an uncertain look at the traffic in front of them.

"Pfft." Meredith tossed her head indignantly. "We'll be fine. Don't you worry that pretty little red head of yours. We have time. And if I catch you looking at that watch again I am tossing it out the window for the sheep." Meredith was fairly confident they'd get there in time - although probably not with much time to spare. That was too bad - she was really hoping Gregory's dad - The Butcher!! - would be there. She'd totally bribed Gordon with the promise of an autograph to get this day trip approved, although he hadn't given her a hard time about it.

They did make it, although with precious little time to spare. Cara had assumed finding Gregory would be easy, hard to lose a tall guy wearing a kilt in a crowd... Of course that only worked when the crowd wasn't made up of tall guys in kilts. Eventually she'd given up, dragging Meredith away from some especially friendly Scotsmen in order to find seats.  The stands were very full, but eventually the found a couple of seats near the top, where Cara could get the best vantage point.

She groaned, frustrated. Worry creased her brow as she shielded her eyes and searched the field for a familar figure. "You need to help to help me find Gregory, Meredith. I wanted to wish him luck..."

Meredith was scanning the crowds, but much more distractedly than Cara. "There's a hundred fine-looking Scotsmen in kilts down there, and you want me to look for the only one I can't flirt with?" She sighed, blocked the sun with her hand, and pointed toward the end of the field. "There he is. You better hurry."

Cara took the steps two at a time and ran for the end of the field.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory spotted Cara bounding down the steps from the stands and departed from the competitors he had been chatting with. He made his way quickly to the edge of the game field at the same time as she did. "Glad to see ye made it." He said with a smile as they approached each other. A silver dragon twist hung from his war braid today and glinted in the sunlight. "Are Gordan and Meredith with ye too? My Ma and Da should be here soon, maybe ye can all sit together. Da' isn't competing this year." He added with a bit of a chuckle. Gregory bent down to Cara and gently kissed her on the cheek. "Looks like I have to win now." He laughed as he looked into her eyes.

"All entrants report to the weight for height event in five minutes. A voice boomed over the PA system as Gregory's parents arrived. Marty was built much like Gregory save for being a bit shorter and having broader shoulders, His mother, Kelly was a slim woman that stood to about Gregory's lower chest with platinum blonde hair. "Sorry dear, looks like I have to go". He said before lightly kissing her lips. Hi Ma, Hi Da!" He called as they walked to the edge of the field. Marty walked to Gregory and clapped him on the shoulder, Kelly reached out and hugged him tightly. "Good luck lad." They said to him as he smiled and headed towards the event. After all the entrants had registered, a bar was placed about five meters above their heads on poles and they took turns throwing a 56 pound weight over it to advance.

Gregory's first throw cleared the bar with more than enough room to spare. An impressive throw, it looked as though it would have cleared the bar at least twice and half again if not more. Even some of his competition couldn't help but stare in awe as Gregory, who was the youngest entrant, cleared the bar with ease.

Gregory continued to clear the bar easily with each attempt as it was moved up to just over 6 meters. Before his throw, Gregory looked up and gauged where he would need to stand. He took a couple of steps forward and heaved the weight, it once again cleared the bar cleanly, though the amount of space between weight and bar was slowly shrinking he was still clearing it with more space than the three remaining entrants.

The competition continued, each entrant clearing his next height until the bar hit an even seven meters. Gregory watched as the first three men hit the bar with their throw. If he could clear the bar just one more time, he would take the event. Gregory once again looked at the bar, gauged where he would stand, took a step forward and readied himself. Taking a moment he looked into the stands and found Cara, He wasn't sure if she could see his face but he looked as directly into her eyes as he could from where he stood. Hefting the weight a couple of times, Gregory made sure he had a solid grip on it.

Gregory squatted down a little and shot upward like a spring. He heaved the weight up and backwards over his head. Turning around Gregory took a couple steps back to watch his throw. The weight sailed upwards arcing back. He watched as the weight seemed to move in slow motion it sailed up and back towards the bar. It turned out to not only clear the bar, but it seemed to be his best throw of the event as it looked to clear by a full meter more. Gregory pumped his fist a little as he watched the weight go over the bar and come crashing back to the ground with a heavy thud.

Martee

She wasn't sure she'd make it to Gregory in time, but he'd apparently seen her coming, and met Cara at the edge of the field. She slowed as she approached him - he was wearing a kilt; it made her grin to see him dressed that way. "Of course I made it, I told you I'd come, didn't I?" She didn't bother mentioning what a close thing it had been, and risk a lecture. Cara was just happy to see him again after going so many days not. She barely had time to explain that only Meredith was with her, when Gregory's parents arrived and he was called to the field.

He left her blushing furiously when he kissed her full on the lips in front of his parents. She waved good-bye and wished him luck as he went to join the other contestants, leaving her standing there shyly with the rest of the McClellans. For a moment she stood there, awkwardly, looking over at Gregory's mother and father.

"We have some seats over at the top of the stands," she offered, avoiding any eye contact. His mother and father seemed nice enough, and 'The Butcher' didn't seem the least bit scary, at least, not as a wrestler. As the parents of the young man she was head over heels for, however, they were both intimidating, regardless of how friendly and warm they appeared. She led them silently back to where Meredith waited, who of course gawked shamelessly at Mr. McClellan. Mercifully, and not a little surprisingly, she kept quiet for the time being, saving Cara from further embarrassment.

Luckily the event was starting, and all eyes were on the contestants. Gregory's father appeared to be well-acquainted with most of the contestants, and kept up a running commentary throughout to his wife. Meredith was content to watch all the contestants, murmuring her appreciation for the strong men tossing the weight up over the bar. Cara, however, had eyes only for Gregory, and held her breath in anticipation each time he took his mark.  By the time he had advanced to the final round, all of her inhibitions about being near his parents were gone, and as the weight sailed clear of the bar, she was on her feet cheering before anyone else.

Eranil Morathim

Kelly smiled warmly at Cara. "You must be the young lass Gregory's so enthralled with." She said warmly to Cara. "I'm Kelly, and this is my husband, Marty." She said introducing the two of them. "Hello, Lass." Marty added with a smile. It seemed pretty clear that Kelly was the more outgoing of the two of them. While Marty was friendly enough, he seemed rather soft spoken.

"Thank you, Cara, We'd be happy to join you." She said as her and Marty followed her up the stairs and sat beside her and Meredith. Marty smiled warmly at Meredith and waved as he saw her staring at him. He and Kelly were used to that kind of reaction. Though it wasn't common any more, with Marty's fame as a wrestler. He used to be mobbed regularly by fans. Now it seemed almost everyone in the village knew him and didn't give a second thought to his fame.

As the games started Marty finally spoke and nearly non stop with his commentary. "Now Mackenzie there, that lad is strong as a bull." he said about the broad shouldered contestant that led off the event. "Marty, dear, I know these people just as well as you do, if you want to run commentary, perhaps Cara and her friend would appreciate it." She said as the two of them switched seats so Marty was next to Cara . "I competed with most of those lads' fathers." He told Cara as the watched the entrants clear the bar easily early on. "You see Walker there? That lad won't last long here. Distance is his game." As Marty said this, they watched the man named Walker barely clear the lowest setting of the bar. "Wait for the hammer throw, that's his event." Marty said.

Marty's commentary continued throughout the even and he was right nearly every time. The times he didn't call the throw right he was almost prophetic as what he said seemed to happen on the next throw. Gregory's final throw came up. "The lad won't have a problem with it, he's been training for over a year, he's ready." He said The words no sooner escaped his lips than he and Cara, along with everyone else in the stands watched the weight sail clear of the bar. Before Marty could react he started in surprise as Cara was on her feet cheering before anyone else.

As his throw cleared the bar, Gregory turned around and saw Cara leap to her feet. He waved to her in that brief moment before the rest of the crowd started to cheer. He was glad she seemed to be enjoying herself even with his father sitting next to her.

Next was the Caber toss. Gregory Fairly dominated, every throw seemed to go nearly perfect for him. The caber would sail end over end beautifully and land pointing almost perfectly straight in front of him. With his accuracy the event was over in a matter of only six rounds. With two events under his belt early, Gregory was very pleased with the results of his training.

The Hammer throw came next, Walker was up first. Gregory watched as the young man whirled the hammer around his head and heaved it. The hammer arced beautifully and seemed to sail endlessly through the air. "I told ye distance was his game." Marty said to Cara with a grin as he nudged her gently. Gregory took his place in the throwing circle after clapping Walker on the shoulder in congratulation of his throw. Gregory dug his feet into the ground and whirled the hammer around his head and heaved it. The arc was there as the hammer sailed through the air. Everyone could tell it was going to be close. Gregory's throw ended up landing less than half a meter shy of Walker's. The two of them stood next to each other and chatted as they watched the rest of the throws from the side. Only one other entrant came within a reasonable distance of them. The three of them advanced to the finals. The third man threw first, his throw landed close to the same distance as his first. Gregory's second throw sailed through the air for a full 63 meters. Gregory nodded and shook hands with Walker as he took his place in the circle. Walker heaved his hammer and everyone watched as it sailed through the air. The throw landed at 65 meters, easily beating Gregory's throw. As Walker left the circle, Gregory nodded his head and shook his hand again.

The games continued on, Gregory took the weight throw, barely beating Walker, He lost the stone put and the Sheaf toss, two more distance events, placing second to Walker. Then came the Maide Leisg. Two men sat with the soles of their feet pressed against one another. They would then each pull on a stick between then in a type of tug of war. The man that lifted the other off the ground was declared the winner. Gregory and Walker both dominated all of their opponents. The two were placed together in the finals. Gregory's grip slipped as the whistle was blown and Walker got the upper hand early. Gregory recovered though, regaining his grip and slowing pulling Walker back towards him. Finally with on final pull on the stick, Gregory pulled Walker cleanly off the ground and nearly to his feet.

As Gregory was declared the winner of the event and the champion of the games for the year he rose to his feet and shook Walker's hand. He pulled the man close and they patted each other on the back. They had been neck and neck throughout the games and both knew it could have gone either way. Gregory raised both of their arms as they stood on the field among the cheers from the crowd.   

Martee

It was awkward sitting between Gregory's parents, although they were both very kind and friendly. Cara tried not the think about what he might have told them, although more than once she found Mrs. McClellan glancing at her and smiling. Each time she blushed bright red and fixed her eyes back on the field, although watching Gregory so openly only made her blush harder. Eventually, however, Cara found herself entirely wrapped up in the events, and stopped worrying about his parents.

Mr. McClellan in particular was a wonderful emcee offering a colorful running commentary that was pretty accurate and mostly unbiased. Gregory had a good showing in all the events, even if he didn't always win, but considering the size of some of the contestants, Cara wasn't surprised. For her part, Meredith was an equal opportunity cheerleader, absolutely shameless in rooting for every strapping, kilted man who took to the field. Cara would have been mortified if it wasn't so hilarious. More than once her rousing cheers for some odd unknown or another had the crowds around them taking up the call as well. It was very surreal but a lot of fun.

They all cheered equally when Gregory finally took the games. His father was especially proud, leaning around to everyone around them to proudly proclaim, "Tha's my lad, there!" He mentioned it to Cara twice, and she could only laugh and nod. She hung back a little once the stands started to clear, to let Gregory's parents get to the field first. It seemed like a big family moment, and she didn't want to interfere or get in the way. She looked for Meredith, but the woman had alteady disappeared, off to ease one of the losing contestant's bruised ego with a healthy dose of flirting.

She wasn't really sure what to do with herself, so Cara stayed at the bleachers, a few rows up from the field, hugging her knees and waiting for things to calm down. She knew Gregory was probably overwhelmed and exciting - and he had every reason to be proud of his accomplishment, but she could wait to congratulate him.

Eranil Morathim

Gregory swelled with pride as all the spectators in the stands started to cheer for him. He congratulated Walker one last time and clapped him on the back before making his way to the edge of the field to find his parents and Cara. Along the way he shook hands with other fans that had come down to the field as well as the other contestants he came across.

When he found his parents just making the field, his mother reached him and wrapped him in a warm embrace his father clapped him on the shoulder. "That's the way, boyo!" Marty exlcaimed as he congratulated his son. Gregory smiled and blushed a bit as he hugged his mother and father. His eyes scanned the field for a moment, searching for Cara. He spotted Meredith first, talking to one of the other entrants. Hius eyes then moved to the stands where he found Cara sitting by herself.

Easing himself from his mother's grip, Gregory took his leave from his parents and made his way up the stands towards Cara. "Thanks again for coming, ye were a big boost for me today." He said with a smile as he placed one strong hand gently on her shoulder. "Why don't ye come down to the field? There's supposed to be a bit of a party later to celebrate the games. I'd love to have ye join me." He offered as he held a hand out to help her up.

Martee

Watching Gregory make his way across the field towards her filled Cara with more excitement than all of the games did. She was kind of glad she'd hung back, just so she could enjoy seeing him approach. "You don't have to thank me, Gregory - I was honored to be your guest... And I doubt very much anything I did from the stands helped you in any way." She gave his hand a squeeze before letting him help her up and down to the field.

Without meeting his gaze, Cara brooded over his question. "Oh, Gregory - I'm sorry. You'll have to forgive me, but Meredith and I have to go soon. We're supposed to be in Ullapool with Professor McKnight, but he gave us day to watch the Games. I don't want to take advantage of his generosity."

Stopping before they reached everyone else, Cara  turned and grabbed his other hand as well. Looking up at him shyly through a fringe of pale red hair, she shrugged. "But if you can wait 'til we get back to Gairloch, I'd love to celebrate with you then...?"

Eranil Morathim

Gregory brushed his braid from in front of his eye and smiled down at Cara. "Well I'll have to make sure to thank him for that myself then." he said as he took Cara's hand gently in his own. "I promise ye, ye did more than ye know just by being here today Cara." he said softly in response to her saying she hadn't been much help from the stands.

He turned and led her out of the stands and onto the field smiling at her as they walked. "I hope my parents weren't to intimidating for ye. I'm sorry I didn't have time to introduce ye more properly." he apologized as they reached the grass of the playing field. Holding Cara close, Gregory thanked more well wishers as they came up and congratulated hm. Gregory placed an arm around Cara's shoulders and bent close to her. "I suppose we should look for Meredith then shouldn't we? Though I have to admit, I'm in no hurry for ye to find her." He said chuckling as he admitted his aversion to finding Meredith and having to say goodbye to Cara again.