QAnon

Started by Google, October 18, 2020, 06:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Andol on February 01, 2021, 03:06:34 AM
I look at them another way... conspiracies are just another way to make a boring world a lot more fun with a little imagination.  >:)

Until they reach the point of destroying lives.  That's what has happened here.  People have bought into this absolute claptrap to the point that they are ready to give up literally everything because some faceless yahoo says that they need to go to DC and fucking overthrow the government. 

Trigger warning: famous cults that ended very badly.

These people are in so deep that if Q gave them a recipe for cyanide-laced Flavor-Aid, they'd guzzle it down.  If Q told them that a comet was coming on a given date and to lie down with a purple cloth over their faces and take phenobarbitol in chocolate pudding, they would.

That's not 'fun'.  That's absolutely sick.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Andol

Quote from: Oniya on February 01, 2021, 03:30:03 AM
Until they reach the point of destroying lives.  That's what has happened here.  People have bought into this absolute claptrap to the point that they are ready to give up literally everything because some faceless yahoo says that they need to go to DC and fucking overthrow the government. 

Trigger warning: famous cults that ended very badly.

These people are in so deep that if Q gave them a recipe for cyanide-laced Flavor-Aid, they'd guzzle it down.  If Q told them that a comet was coming on a given date and to lie down with a purple cloth over their faces and take phenobarbitol in chocolate pudding, they would.

That's not 'fun'.  That's absolutely sick.

Well that is not what I was talking about obviously. Your example is one of apples to oranges since I was speaking of those who are using a bit of common sense, and again see conspiracies as jokes to talk about or simple table conversation topics because the realm of fantasy and imagination where these things actually are is more fun than the real world.  >:)

stormwyrm

There comes a point when believers in conspiracy theories deny reality a step too far and they become unable to properly integrate themselves into a normal, healthy life. This can even happen with a relatively benign conspiracy theory such as Elvis Presley having supposedly faked his death.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4763

QAnon and its believers have clearly gone way, way past this point of jokes and tabletop conversation. It has already inspired a mob to overthrow the government and is a rallying point for domestic terrorists. I can only hope that not too many people in important positions in the military have bought into this, else we'll have a real-life General Ripper from Dr.Strangelove. Notably General Ripper was also a fervent believer in conspiracy theories...
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Haibane

Quote from: Andol on February 01, 2021, 03:54:47 AM
Well that is not what I was talking about obviously. Your example is one of apples to oranges since I was speaking of those who are using a bit of common sense, and again see conspiracies as jokes to talk about or simple table conversation topics because the realm of fantasy and imagination where these things actually are is more fun than the real world.  >:)
But that is not what this thread is discussing. I specifically posted about QAnon and all the damage that is causing. I don't know of any conspiracy theory that is just "a bit of fun". All of them carry misinformation and inherent danger, whether physical of societal.

Perhaps you could please list a few conspiracy theories that are just "a bit of fun" and "make the world less boring"?

Beorning

Quote from: stormwyrm on February 01, 2021, 05:28:55 AM
QAnon and its believers have clearly gone way, way past this point of jokes and tabletop conversation. It has already inspired a mob to overthrow the government and is a rallying point for domestic terrorists. I can only hope that not too many people in important positions in the military have bought into this, else we'll have a real-life General Ripper from Dr.Strangelove. Notably General Ripper was also a fervent believer in conspiracy theories...

We don't even have to use fictional examples. Remember Heinrich Himmler? He was a strong believer in conspiracies (Jews, Jesuits etc.), pseudo-history etc. Spain's Francisco Franco was a believer in an evil plot to destroy the Catholic Church...

Andol

Quote from: Haibane on February 01, 2021, 09:27:00 AM
But that is not what this thread is discussing. I specifically posted about QAnon and all the damage that is causing. I don't know of any conspiracy theory that is just "a bit of fun". All of them carry misinformation and inherent danger, whether physical of societal.

Perhaps you could please list a few conspiracy theories that are just "a bit of fun" and "make the world less boring"?

Mostly those that fall under the old UFO/Men in Black-esque stuff that is fun to talk about when considering how big the universe is and... well going way off topic onto various things about theories of intelligent alien life. It has made the world less boring because the idea of such concepts are good writing material, tabletop game material, etc. Plus the old... man it would be cool if that did exist XD 

Sorry for the derail of the topic, I realized after my last post I was talking about something that wasn't as focused on the Q-anon which is a different kind of conspiracy than what I mean.

Quote from: stormwyrm on February 01, 2021, 05:28:55 AM
There comes a point when believers in conspiracy theories deny reality a step too far and they become unable to properly integrate themselves into a normal, healthy life. This can even happen with a relatively benign conspiracy theory such as Elvis Presley having supposedly faked his death.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4763

General Ripper... "I only drink rain water and grain alcohol  …" Best quote in that entire movie...  ;D

Haibane

Quote from: Andol on February 01, 2021, 06:45:55 PM
Mostly those that fall under the old UFO/Men in Black-esque stuff that is fun to talk about when considering how big the universe is and... well going way off topic onto various things about theories of intelligent alien life.

Theories of intelligent alien life are not conspiracies.

I am not so sure UFOs come under the heading of conspiracy theories. People photograph thrown hubcaps and a grainy image gets people talking, but I would not say those kinds of discussions are conspiracy theories. Talk of strange triangular light formations over Belgium that were registered both on radar and on jet fighter weapon locks were something but that also is not a conspiracy theory.

A "conspiracy theory" is generally something completely invented out of nothing from something that either doesn't exist at all (e.g. anti-vax, vapour trails), or is a misguided or wrong assumption about something factual (e.g. 9/11, moon landings). UFOs are certainly something and worthy of discussion. They in themselves, or discussion about them, are not conspiracy material.

There are also some people whose lives have been eaten up and destroyed by UFO talk/experiences, so while it may seem harmless table banter to some, to others the same subjects are life changing and not in a good way.

Andol

Quote from: Haibane on February 01, 2021, 07:54:00 PM
Theories of intelligent alien life are not conspiracies.

I am not so sure UFOs come under the heading of conspiracy theories. People photograph thrown hubcaps and a grainy image gets people talking, but I would not say those kinds of discussions are conspiracy theories. Talk of strange triangular light formations over Belgium that were registered both on radar and on jet fighter weapon locks were something but that also is not a conspiracy theory.

A "conspiracy theory" is generally something completely invented out of nothing from something that either doesn't exist at all (e.g. anti-vax, vapour trails), or is a misguided or wrong assumption about something factual (e.g. 9/11, moon landings). UFOs are certainly something and worthy of discussion. They in themselves, or discussion about them, are not conspiracy material.

There are also some people whose lives have been eaten up and destroyed by UFO talk/experiences, so while it may seem harmless table banter to some, to others the same subjects are life changing and not in a good way.

I will give you that, but I think the conspiracy theory part of UFO's is the question of if the government is covering it up and all that stuff. I will agree though that people do take things to far sometimes and it has gotten a few people hurt... especially those obessed with going onto certain military bases in a foolish manner. 

Humble Scribe

As William Gibson put it in The Gernsback Continuum: "I could buy aliens, but not aliens that look like Fifties comic book art."
The moving finger writes, and having writ,
Moves on:  nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Ons and Offs

clonkertink

The Washington Post has suggested some better conspiracy theories for people to dig into.

Lustful Bride

I don't think its been shared already but Blaire/The Illuminaughty did a good analysis on Qanon and its insanity.

Might be worth a watch if you are curious to all the utterly bizarre links and leaps in logic that come from it, as well as the real danger it presents to society and our collective sanity.

Oniya

So, those of you that get CBS channels, 60 Minutes is going to be doing a segment Sunday, Feb 21, on QAnon members and alt-right groups recruiting them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/qanon-conspiracy-capitol-riots-60-minutes-2021-02-19/#app
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Oniya

So, apparently some of the conspiracy buggers are claiming that the snow falling in the South is government-created fake snow.  This particular conspiracy also surfaced about 7 years ago for much the same reasons, and has simply had the serial numbers filed off an a fresh coat of 2021-brand paint slapped on.

Phil Plait, an astronomer associated with Crash Course (and a very fine person as far as I've seen) did some debunking of the so-called evidence.

Quote from: Phil Plait
You can’t debunk something unless it’s bunk to start with

Missy

Quote from: Oniya on February 22, 2021, 02:05:30 PM
So, apparently some of the conspiracy buggers are claiming that the snow falling in the South is government-created fake snow.  This particular conspiracy also surfaced about 7 years ago for much the same reasons, and has simply had the serial numbers filed off an a fresh coat of 2021-brand paint slapped on.

Phil Plait, an astronomer associated with Crash Course (and a very fine person as far as I've seen) did some debunking of the so-called evidence.

Should we be nice and send them a note not to eat the yellow snow?

Haibane

Beorning

Wow. The disconnect with reality is strong among these people.

BTW. Victoria Woodhull? A woman ran for U.S. President in 1870s? Now that's something I need to read more about...

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on March 04, 2021, 01:30:57 AM
Wow. The disconnect with reality is strong among these people.

BTW. Victoria Woodhull? A woman ran for U.S. President in 1870s? Now that's something I need to read more about...

It's not a pleasant read.  She was a eugenicist, who advocated for the 'dying off' of the 'unfit'.

TheGlyphstone

Indeed. When the movement you help found literally and directly inspires Adolph Hitler, your place in the dustbin of history is well deserved.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Haibane on March 03, 2021, 07:39:18 PM
Oh Gawd.... it never ends  ???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-56260345

"They probably feel "March 4 Trump" is also a nice catchphrase, with the hip double sense of "4". :)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

gaggedLouise

A textbook case of gaslighting and trying to shift the blame to the victim (or the aggressed part), from Laura Ingraham:

https://twitter.com/IngrahamAngle/status/1367270306411409414

Idiot.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

I'd like to ask about Alex Jones (who isn't strictly QAnon, but similar).

As in: is this guy serious or just pushing nonsense to gain fame?

I mean, when I read some summaries of his views, I get the impression of an honest alt-right nut: anti-gun control, anti-vaxxer, anti- Democrats, anti-NWO etc. But then, I go to YT, see him trash his desk while ranting about the government turning frogs gay... and I'm starting to think that he has to know that this is all pure idiocy. Or..?

Skynet

Jones may have started out as being a charlatan, but over time he came around to believing what he was selling.

Jones' lawyers asserted that he was playing a character on InfoWars, although if true he couldn't stay out of character long enough to portray himself as a reasonable and rational individual.

In a New York Times article one of Jones' former employees admits that he is angry and unhinged off-camera as he is on it.

QuoteOver time, I came to learn that keeping Jones from getting angry was a big part of the job, though it was impossible to predict his outbursts. Stories abounded among my co-workers: The blinds stuck, so he ripped them off the wall. A water cooler had mold in it, so he grabbed a large knife, stabbed the plastic base wildly and smashed it on the ground. Headlines weren’t strong enough; the news wasn’t being covered the way he wanted; reporters didn’t know how to dress properly. Once a co-worker stopped by the office with a pet fish he was taking home to his niece. It swam in circles in a small, transparent bag. When Jones saw the bag balanced upright on a desk in the conference room, he emptied it into a garbage can. On one occasion, he threatened to send out a memo banning laughter in the office. “We’re in a war,” he said, and he wanted people to act accordingly.

Oniya

His wife is currently going through a divorce and custody battle with him.  He hired a helicopter to buzz the house she was in with the kids, and then sent their daughter the cockpit video.

https://twitter.com/RealKellyJones/status/1364799106762215426?s=20

Andol

Quote from: Beorning on March 05, 2021, 07:22:46 PM
I'd like to ask about Alex Jones (who isn't strictly QAnon, but similar).

As in: is this guy serious or just pushing nonsense to gain fame?

I mean, when I read some summaries of his views, I get the impression of an honest alt-right nut: anti-gun control, anti-vaxxer, anti- Democrats, anti-NWO etc. But then, I go to YT, see him trash his desk while ranting about the government turning frogs gay... and I'm starting to think that he has to know that this is all pure idiocy. Or..?

Well as for the frogs thing... that was actually him talking in a crazy way about something that had a nugget of truth to it. Chemicals where dumped into the water supply by companies  that effected the gender of the frogs among other things. As he said on his Joe Rogen interview... that he says things in an overblown way to get people to listen. However a lot of what he said... at least for that interview was fact-checked on the spot as true. Though Joe have to reign him in quite a bit when he got to excited and went out there a bit.