You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 20, 2021, 03:10:52 pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Superhero Comics!  (Read 9604 times)

Offline TheLaughingOne

• The Stalker Of The Dark
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Does The Black Moon Howl?
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Superhero Comics!
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2021, 12:46:18 pm »
I loved how in Grayson (aka The Only Good Thing That Happened During Nu52) Dick's bum was a frequent subject...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dhi

• In the snow with Rosebud
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • ดี้
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2021, 08:44:29 pm »
Darkhold: Iron Man is a beautiful work of darkness. It's exactly what I hoped this Darkhold event would be, and I'm honestly impressed with how far Marvel was willing to push the idea. This is genuinely horrifying.

While I didn't feel like Steve Orlando really got the tone of Darkhold, Ryan North absolutely does, and after this issue I feel great about the event.

Here's hoping the rest of the series is even half as good.

There's a lot of journalism right now about Jon Kent, Superman's son, kissing the pink-haired boy Jay he's been hanging around with and reputedly coming out as bisexual a couple of issues from now. I'll link to the covers, since IIRC Jon is 17.

https://i.imgur.com/dLM1Nvi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4BVqq58.jpg

Superman: Son of Kal-El is something I've been following because Tom Taylor is one of my favorite writers at DC. Issues have been selling out and going for $20+ a piece on the secondary market. While DC is certainly publicizing this decision, I really don't think it's a ploy to sell books. Rather, Jon Kent represents a generational difference between the social responsibilities and the idea of heroism between then and now. Already the book has been political, insofar as the idealistic, compassionate thing to do has become politicized. It's no stretch that Jon Kent would also open his heart beyond binary definitions of love, and I trust Tom Taylor to handle it well.

Also quite politically relevant is the finale to Grant Morrison's Superman and the Authority, which further teases the New Gods thread I hypothesized a few weeks ago. It's weird that this book was clearly an Elseworlds tale, but in the end it definitively ties into main continuity. Grant also writes a very compelling Natasha Irons, and I'm hoping whoever writes Authority next picks up on that.

Picked up Hardware #2 after being put off by the first issue, and I'm glad I did. The story becomes much more cohesive and Curtis comes across as a more sympathetic character on multiple levels- some a little bit forced, but others excellent character development.

Rise of the Djinn #1 from Zenescope also released this week, and that one was a hit for me too. I'm glad I checked it out. A lot of things happen, but then this is only a 3 issue series so a brisk pace is wise. Tamara crosses paths with an occult killer and loses her husband, is diagnosed with cancer, dies and miraculously returns to life, all the while getting glimpses of people-who-are-actually-djinn and channeling something arcane she doesn't fully control nor comprehend. Not an especially profound footing in Arabian myth, but otherwise, I like it, and I hope they do more with the character after this series.

Also wanted to mention X-Men #4 which is a one and done story with the team facing Nightmare in their dreams. The book continues to distance itself from Krakoa, so if you're looking for fun mutant stories with none of the Hickman attachment, this is the title for you.

Overall, very pleased with everything I picked up. It was a great week.

Offline Dhi

• Dame
  • Enchanter
  • ดี้
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2021, 10:03:39 pm »
Exciting news from my perspective, Legion of Super-Heroes returns early next year.

Quote from: DC solicit
Eisner winning writer Brian Michael Bendis (SUPERMAN, POWERS) returns to the Legion of Super-Heroes in the monumental six-issue event miniseries “Justice League vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes”.

One thousand years in the future, a Legion of Super-Heroes comes together to dedicate their lives to recapturing the great age of heroes of the 21st century. When the heroes discover that reality is falling to a great darkness in both times simultaneously, the Justice League and the Legion of Super-Heroes must team up to stop it all. But what is the connection between the secrets of the new Gold Lanterns and the coming of the Great Darkness?

Number one of six goes on sale 1/11/22, with art by Scott Godlewski (SUPERMAN).

JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1
Written by Brian Michael Bendis
Art and cover by Scott Godlewski
Variant cover by Travis Moore
$3.99 US | 32 pages | 1 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (Card stock)
ON SALE 1/11/22

Great stuff! I'm finding joy in comic books and I hope you are too.

Offline TheLaughingOne

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2021, 10:29:55 pm »
So i got a hold of the Last issue of "Immortal Hulk" And it ends... Odd.

Flashbacks into the past of roughly Victorian era showing 2 men that look like human versions of the Hulk and leader, one a dour wrathful but otherwise cold priest, the other a distracted but driven scientist who just started experimenting with "Gamma Radiation".

Its a weird one, going back and forth in explaining things, and im gonna give a couple rereads in hopes of really understanding, but made for a rather interesting finish to the comics that wasnt just hulk punching things.

Now it seems that Banner "whole" with a Cosmic Radiation powered Joe Fixit, and the Regular Hulk, and able to get his life in order... or something. You know how comic books go..

Im not sure how i fully feel on this. It wasnt bad, but it was deffinately a complex one.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia - Happy Spooking!
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!!!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2021, 10:34:17 pm »
So, this is kind of meta, but seeing the panels that people have put up really drives home how much of an impact font can have.  The bit that Dhi put up from the Darkhold Iron Man issue - your eye is drawn to 'accelerating', 'brain', 'skull', and 'meat', which give the whole textual content an added spike of the visceral.

Offline Dhi

• Dame
  • Enchanter
  • ดี้
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2021, 11:53:43 pm »
Meta but cool. So much artistry goes into the truly outstanding books. I became aware of the art of lettering myself after these panels from I Breathed A Body.

It's easier on the computer where we can zoom in, but on paper I struggled to read just as the protagonist is struggling to overhear through the driving rain. Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou uses lettering in a number of inspired and unsettling ways throughout the book. I would love to learn more about the arts of lettering and coloring, after a year of enjoying the fruits of these labors without due cognizance. Hopefully I'll get a chance at the upcoming comic con!

Offline TheLaughingOne

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #231 on: October 15, 2021, 02:04:32 am »
aaahhhh... thats right! Emerald city comic con is in december as well!!!

Crap! new job means i could go...

cept my days off are now outta sync, id only be able to make it to thursday... Heeeeelllllllllll!!!!

Offline Dhi

• Dame
  • Enchanter
  • ดี้
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #232 on: October 16, 2021, 10:34:05 am »
DC Fandome is live at noon CST, about an hour and a half from now, if you care to watch with me.

https://www.dcfandome.com/

Looking at what's coming in 2022 so far, here are the books I plan to follow.

Marvel
Black Cat
Daredevil
Marauders
Silver Surfer Rebirth

DC
Batgirls
Catwoman (Tini Howard is writing)
Dark Knights of Steel
Green Lantern
Justice League/Legion
Nightwing
Superman: Son of Kal-El

Indies
Harbinger
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Under the maybes, Wonder Girl and White Widow release too sporadically to count them every month.

Offline LunarSage

• Under a Full Moon
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Awoooo!!!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #233 on: October 16, 2021, 12:35:27 pm »
aaahhhh... thats right! Emerald city comic con is in december as well!!!

Crap! new job means i could go...

cept my days off are now outta sync, id only be able to make it to thursday... Heeeeelllllllllll!!!!

I miss the PNW. 

I went to the ECCC in 2010 and met Stan Lee.  I wish I could go again.

Offline TheLaughingOne

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #234 on: Yesterday at 12:45:08 pm »
From the new Batman/Fables crossover.
Batman chained Bigby up in the batcave. Bigby didnt like that.

That... Is satisfying. More along the lines of Bat-Dick getting some comeuppance on being an absolute prick.

Also shows robin, one of them, not sure which, training couple dozen kids to fight while screaming at them about how worthless they are, in a very "Goddamn Batman"-esque style. cuz evidently batman now has an army of robins now...

This one gives bigby more of a leg up in the series, but seems to keep its lips planted firmly on batmans ass. I'll keep following for fables for now.. but wont take much to dislodge me if bat-dickery continues.

Offline Dhi

• Dame
  • Enchanter
  • ดี้
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #235 on: Yesterday at 05:38:38 pm »
I read some Batman too, in the Fear State event we had Nightwing #85, Catwoman #36, and Batman #115. Trying to find Secret Files: Peacekeeper-01.

In the pages of Nightwing, it's beyond clear that Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon have a wedding or a pregnancy in the near future. The closeness of these characters has driven Tom Taylor's run since the beginning, and early next year we're seeing this cover:

Pretty much all of the books tied up in Fear State have fill-in artists. It's interesting for me that Nightwing's fill-in is Robbi Rodriguez, who will be attached to Harbinger shortly.

Assigning Laura Braga to do an action sequence in Catwoman is something I don't agree with. Even with no backgrounds, this is surely not her forte.

Batman 115 is a little bit of Jorge Jimenez, but mostly an artist going by Bengal who does a playful Miracle Molly I quite like. I want to like Miracle Molly; her recent one-shot was decent. Unfortunately the event where she debuts was poorly received, her creator is leaving the company, and DC has chosen now to shuffle creative teams, mid-event.

Batman 115 also offers the first Batgirls backup, and it's exactly what I was hoping for. Steph and Cass have a great teen sleuth vibe going, and it will be interesting to see where Babs ends up after her Oracle apparatus is demolished in Fear State. Suited up, I hope, but maybe not immediately. She's got to play big sister first.

Superman: Son of Kal-El #4 is by another fill-in artist, Daniele Di Nicuolo. I was very interested in this one because, following the reveal of Bendix as Jon's big villain, I went back and read 2017's The Storm Watch because I felt like I recognized some hallmarks of the Wildstorm universe in the current arc.

And the current Jon Kent arc is, in fact, very similar to the final issues of The Storm Watch. In 2019 that series was meant to culminate with a relaunch of WildCATS and probably Gen 13. Whether due to DC's restructuring or Warren Ellis becoming persona non grata in the industry, we never got to see a current gen return of those characters. Now seeing what Bendix is up to, experimenting on people to create super-soldiers for his regime, it seems likely we'll see Gen 13 in the pages of Son of Kal-El soon.

This week's Green Lantern clarifies some things I myself misconstrued. The Lonar reveal from last issue was not intended to be in disguise as Beelu Kenz, as the panels I posted implied. Lonar and Beelu are distinct people, and that makes a whole lot more sense.

It's also explained how Lonar just pops up arbitrarily. He is the New God of journeys, we're told, and so journeying to different places and times falls within his purview. I know there are some outspoken Green Lantern fans who really took issue with this.

But, what fans are really tired of is the mystery itself. With all of the backups, it's going to drag on for a year, and I'm sympathetic. What has me engaged is the story potential on the other side of this mystery, so let's get on with it.

We do see, via journey through time, the Oans fighting the New Gods billions of years ago. We see the Oans creating A'tmatentrym to bring order to the cosmos, and why the sorcerers back in issue 1 sought to free it. John also undergoes some kind of transformation and seems to hold Green Lantern power within himself, without need for the battery (which is currently exploded).

This means all three of the arc's main characters- John, Jo, and Keli- are able to wield Green Lantern powers without the battery. Three minority characters, each with complicated histories with authority and justice, have become the de facto powerful figures in a system of law and order which is otherwise stripped of authority, territory, and power.

That's cool, that's something new worth exploring. Let's get on with it.

Offline TheLaughingOne

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #236 on: Today at 03:11:07 am »
After a bit of reading a new comic, "Refrigerator Full of Heads" i went back to read "Basketful of heads". Forgot how good Basket is. good solid October spooky.

Follows a girl as she comes out to beach town to visit her boyfriend come the end of summer as he finishes working as a temp summer cop. They are invited out to the Chiefs house to celebrate end of summer when a massive storm blows into town, and just as several members of a chaingang get loose.

While the rest of the family is out, someone breaks into the house an dstarts searching for the couple who were left there to relax... After hiding in a laundry bin the girl is attacked by one of the criminals, and grabs an old ax from the police chiefs collection of old viking weapons, and in the struggle manages to cut the mans head off.

... Then he starts freaking out about how he cant feel his legs... And she starts trying to find her missing boyfriend, and unravel just what is going on in this mess of a town..

And just why the fuck does everybody she cuts the head off of keep on talking...?

solid read if you can find. gets my full suggestion