What's in the News? 2.0

Started by Tolvo, January 16, 2019, 05:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Azy

Quote from: Skynet on October 12, 2021, 11:37:47 PM
Texas removes suicide hotline from LGBTQ site because it could hurt GOP governor’s reelection.

There's no getting around it; Republicans want these people dead.

Being pro suicide helps?  This is just getting more and more sick. 

Sara Nilsson

If it is a minority doing the suiciding then yes it helps for republicans.

The pro life party.

eyerolls so hard they fall out of their sockets

TheGlyphstone

Also the party that opposes the existence of WIC support. Life begins at conception, and ends at birth.

Mechelle

Quite a shocking event in the UK where long-serving Conservative MP Sir David Amess was murdered by a knifeman at his constituency surgery, where he was meeting his constituents  to help them with their problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58930593

Skynet

Polish politician forced to donate to an LGBT pride parade after making the claim that the event promotes pedophilia.

QuoteA politician from Poland’s conservative ruling party has been forced to make a donation to his home city’s LGBT parade after being sued for accusing it of promoting paedophilia. He had refused to respect the court order, but the money has now been seized from his bank account.

Three years ago, Tomasz Pitucha of the Law and Justice (PiS) party complained on Facebook about the fact that the parade was being organised in Lublin, where he is a member of the city council, for the first time. The event “promotes homosexuality and paedophilia”, he wrote.

In response to Pitucha’s post, one of the organisers of the LGBT parade, Bartosz Staszewski, sued him. In 2019, Pitucha was convicted of defamation, with the judge finding that the aim of the march was to “promote equality and tolerance” and that linking it to paedophilia was “untrue and harmful”.

Pitucha appealed against the ruling, saying that it “shows we still have to do a lot in the social space for the aggressive policy of homosexual groups to be treated properly”. However, his appeal was rejected, and Pitucha was ordered to pay 5,000 zloty (€1,090) to the organisers of the parade.

Lustful Bride

Skynet

Ten years ago, if you were writing a fictional novel or movie and used Republican politicians as villains played straight, people would claim that they're one-dimensional unrealistic stereotypes.

Annaamarth

Quote from: Skynet on October 15, 2021, 08:35:29 PM
Ten years ago, if you were writing a fictional novel or movie and used Republican politicians as villains played straight, people would claim that they're one-dimensional unrealistic stereotypes.
Are you saying that they aren't one-dimensional unrealistic stereotypes?  Because I feel like they are.
Ons/Offs

My sins are pride, wrath and lust.

Beorning

Quote from: Skynet on October 15, 2021, 06:20:56 PM
Polish politician forced to donate to an LGBT pride parade after making the claim that the event promotes pedophilia.

It was a good verdict. And it's good that he *was* forced to pay the fine.

Too many times here in Poland we've had cases of right-wing politicians / activists / journalists being found guilty of defamation etc., being issued verdicts and not obeying them. Even the highest-ranking PiS politicians and government members, I think, engage in this kind of blatant disregard for the court...

Lilias

Ignore the sexism of the headline (Meyer was a much more accomplished musical artist than her dimwit of an ex). This is real loss.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/emperor-guitarists-ex-wife-among-five-people-killed-in-norway-bow-and-arrow-attack/
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

TheGlyphstone

Obviously a tragedy, but a bow and arrow rampage? WTF?

Sara Nilsson

https://www.wearethepit.com/2021/10/bloodstock-festival-staff-quit-jobs-over-organizers-transphobic-remarks/?fbclid=IwAR1GAmjVPSSqgtQRTHbD9IppvML7lrRyrhSFDrzOdfYFd_uXZWqAGcAH2AY

For those not into metal. Bloodstock is a huge metal festival, I would say one of the ones that non metal heads might have heard about.

Well, .. one of the more prominent members behind the thing has again spewed out some crap to the point of people quitting their jobs not wanting to work with her anymore. Of course she issued the usual.. i didn't mean to offend BS.

Its just sad to see. Its a great festival and i hope they toss that moron out of there.

Quote from: Lilias on October 17, 2021, 01:55:52 PM
Ignore the sexism of the headline (Meyer was a much more accomplished musical artist than her dimwit of an ex). This is real loss.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/emperor-guitarists-ex-wife-among-five-people-killed-in-norway-bow-and-arrow-attack/

Danny Filth (frontman for Cradle of Filth) posted

"R.I.P. Andrea Meyer.

Andrea guested on our debut album, The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh, and also modelled and danced for us on stage as well as presiding over ritual back in our formative years. ⁣

She will be sadly missed and our deep felt love and sympathies go out to her kith and kin."

Thats how I heard about it. And of course the usual right wingers already lept on it. "See gun laws doesn't matter you can still kill. Its the people not the guns." yeah sure.. fucking hell. The same assholes that go "you cant politicize school shootings" argh!!!

TheGlyphstone

The obvious retort is that the person killed 5 and not 50, but morons don't react to logic like you said.

Oniya

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on October 17, 2021, 02:39:47 PM
Well, .. one of the more prominent members behind the thing has again spewed out some crap to the point of people quitting their jobs not wanting to work with her anymore. Of course she issued the usual.. i didn't mean to offend BS.

Its just sad to see. Its a great festival and i hope they toss that moron out of there.

r/technicallycorrect?  She sounds like someone I wouldn't want to work with any more, in any case...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 17, 2021, 02:45:16 PM
The obvious retort is that the person killed 5 and not 50, but morons don't react to logic like you said.

Most gun shootings don't get to that kill count either. So yes, it is the person and not the gun.
Mind you, guns make it easier, so there's some truth to the arguments of both sides.
But gun laws also virtually guarantee that law-abiding targets can't shoot back, and don't preclude mass attacks. Vehicles, blades and obviously bows and arrows can work just as well. Some of those have been working for millennia, after all!
Nice, 2016, 86 dead and 458 injured without a gun - well, the perpetrator had a gun, but I don't remember him actually hitting anyone successfully, though he shot at the cops.
BTW, I'm not including the perpetrator in the kill count above, because he's not a victim 8-).

Bottom line, I suspect that opponents of gun laws simply want to be able to shoot back. Which is probably the only reasonable stance if the nearest police department is 15 or even 30 minutes away (fully possible if you're living in a countryside farm, for example). That's an eternity if anyone is assaulting you.

And yes, the real reason behind those attacks is the desire of some people to kill (a certain group of) other people. No, I don't see a solution for that, frankly - apart from education.

Tl;Dr I consider gun laws a paliative measure, which probably helps...but only so much. Don't expect them to offer a perfect protection even if introduced. France has rather strict gun laws...which didn't prevent Bataclan!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

TheGlyphstone

It's been noted previously that 'gun laws' and 'ban all guns' are only the same in the eyes of the psychotic gun-nuts who oppose any limitations of any kind. You can shoot back if someone attacks you with a legally registered and properly background-checked pistol, shotgun, or hunting rifle just fine, you don't need to go Rambo with dual-wielded AR-15's in 'self-defense'. Which is more lin line with what opponents of any sort of legislation want, they want to live out their Rambo fantasies.

It's absolutely true that we can't achieve perfection, but that's a horrible argument to do nothing at all. Frankly, limiting access to semi-auto rifles is pushing hard on the limits of what I'm personally comfortable with, even if it's constitutionally legal based on previous Court rulings and precedents. They're a gross minority of actual gun-related killings anyways. But cleaning up stuff like background checks would be a shoe-in if it wasn't for the nutjobs screaming to high heavens about slippery slopes and tyranny.

Annaamarth

It may be worth shunting this to a different thread, but Beau of thr Fifth Column did an excellent series on sensible firearms control and why the very idea of "ban all guns" is so impractical (in the USA) that it only exists A) in the fever dreams of anti-gun nuts and B) as a bogeyman to the progun groups.

2A advocacy is good and fine - even important! but nobody is going to come take all the guns or prevent gun ownership entirely. The left, as a rule, doesn't want that either.

Aside: Beau does not currently own but has a background as an operational contractor in military environments. His experience and background are in civil conflict and how to divide or unify communities.

50-odd videos in the series, but here's number one - the first five or six are what got me into Beau.
https://youtu.be/BxvxbZGjlv4
Ons/Offs

My sins are pride, wrath and lust.

Lustful Bride

ShadowFox89

You know the saying if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything?

Anyway, looks like LinkedIn is pulling out of China.

https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-plays-down-linkedin-china-closure
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Wait isn't this the guy that floods YouTube with PragerU adverts or is responsible for it? Or is that just another person with the same name, gotta ask. I understand it's a radio host the headline reads but the name seems too on the nose to not be a coincidence.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on October 19, 2021, 02:28:12 PM
Wait isn't this the guy that floods YouTube with PragerU adverts or is responsible for it? Or is that just another person with the same name, gotta ask. I understand it's a radio host the headline reads but the name seems too on the nose to not be a coincidence.

Same exact person. XD