What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on November 26, 2010, 10:59:10 PM
I started my hardcore run of new vegas tonight. I decided that my courier is an ex-enclave scout so ended up taking Unarmed, sneak, and survival as her main skills and thanks to a lucky break at the Mojave outpost vendors shes already rocking a power fist! Right now Im keeping a look out for some recon armor to complete her ensemble but for now Ive gotta settle for reinforced leather and a baseball cap, courtesy of some raiders who just gave it to her after loosing a punching match  ;D

Im a little disappointed in the difficulty though, from what people said I expected this would be a lot harder but Ive already gotten all the way to Novac and the difficulty has seemed pretty average so far
Despite its name hardcore mode has nothing to do with difficulty it adds a few extra layers of (in my opinion tedium) challenge to the game. I found myself exploring less and burning through the main story line. If you want recon armor the best bet is go to Hidden Valley and try and steal/buy some of the Brotherhood.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wyrd

I'm trying to play WoW right now. But since the last patchm my comp is running it even shittier then it normally does :( I guess I'll have to take a hiatus from it until I can get a half decent gaming computer
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

My brother has been telling me to get Left 4 Dead 2 ( Or Left 8 Dead, as I like to call it ). Well, it was on sale on Steam for diddly squat ( 3,5€, to be exact. Which is like $5. ), so I got it. I .. gotta say, I'm not really a fan of the whole L4D concept, but the game is great. It's a great example of how a sequel can actually improve on the first game. It's not exactly the action game I've been looking for all this time, but at least it's a great deal better than ... most of what gets churned out nowadays.

Oniya

Quote from: Hemingway on November 27, 2010, 08:54:24 PM
My brother has been telling me to get Left 4 Dead 2 ( Or Left 8 Dead, as I like to call it ).

Why does that sound like it should involve cannibalistic zombies?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on November 27, 2010, 09:11:04 PM
Why does that sound like it should involve cannibalistic zombies?

Left Ate Dead?

Nascar Driving Cannibalistic Zombies? O_o

Sabby

Shadowman, on PC. I just love how Baron Samedi has an Irish accent...

ausyandy

Gonna play Fallout New Vegas in a few minutes.

msa24680

I just reinstalled my old Diablo game on my PC  (the 1st one)... seriously... 

dready

Assassin's creed: Brotherhood's introduction within one question and sentence of explanation:

Did you play assassins creed 2 past the first hour of gameplay? Yeah, it's the exact same script once you escape Rome.

I'll be posting more on it since I'm playing it as I type. These loading screens take a while to boot up.

Chris Brady

I'm playin' Vindictus.  I LIKE IT!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Wolfy

Inkidu

I have nothing to play. I need a new game bad, but Call of Duty killed another holiday season. Way to go you jackasses! Seriously Game Informer actually addressed it in their most recent issue. They call it the Call-of-Duty Effect. Last year and this year CoD games have come out and every other company goes, "Eff it!".
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Bentley

I guess maybe I contributed to the Call-of-Duty Effect.

I bought and finished CoD: Modern Warfare a couple days ago. I don't usually like FPS games and my friend kept telling me I'd hate it, but I loved it. I'll be buying MW2 after the first.

Then I finished Fable 3 again this afternoon. I really really hate all the money stuff at the end. Also, I was googling afterward and I'm really unenthused about the idea of a Fable 4 or 5.

Wolfy

Good thing it ends with 3, then. :D...I think, at least...Molyneux only wanted to make a Trilogy, I think.

Aiden

Replaying plants vs zombies

Zombavatar!

Tonalberry

A couple months ago, I was invited to join the Bloodline Champions beta, but for some reason, the client patcher would always crash whenever it started to update.  Finally, a few weeks ago, it went through just fine, but so far I've only played the demo.  Doesn't seem too bad.  Also, I recently bought and installed Poker Night at the Inventory off of Steam.  Yeah, i suck at Texas Hold 'Em, but I do enjoy the conversations between the characters.  You play against Max, from Sam and Max, Strong Bad from Homestar Runner, the Heavy from TF2, and Tycho from Penny Arcade.  All of them use their original voices, except for Tycho, who sounds like the pretentious douche that he is.  It's worth the five bucks, even if you do suck at Texas Hold 'Em.

zoarster

Quote from: Aiden on November 29, 2010, 12:25:44 AM
Replaying plants vs zombies

Zombavatar!

Patched or unpatched? Long live Zombie MJ

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on November 27, 2010, 06:45:28 PM
Despite its name hardcore mode has nothing to do with difficulty it adds a few extra layers of (in my opinion tedium) challenge to the game. I found myself exploring less and burning through the main story line. If you want recon armor the best bet is go to Hidden Valley and try and steal/buy some of the Brotherhood.

I can see how some people would consider it tedious but I dont. So far its been a different kind of difficulty and makes the wasteland seem a bit more realistic. Thats a good thing IMO. I hope future fallouts keep hardcore mode. Come to think of it I like all the new additions like iron sights and weapon mods. Although if they keep weapon mods I would like to see some for melee and unarmed weapons too, having them just on guns makes the close range combat styles even less attractive

Also there needs to be a wider variety of energy weapons.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Quote from: Brandon on November 29, 2010, 05:01:40 AMAlso there needs to be a wider variety of energy weapons.

^ This

Wolfy

If the story is correct, Hardcore Mode and the "Wild Wasteland" Perk came about as a compromise between the developers...some wanted the game to be as realistic as possible, and others wanted it to have the Wacky, Nonsensical elements that Fallout is known for. :D (Aliens and such)....so, they compromised by putting both in. ^-^

Hemingway

Quote from: Brandon on November 29, 2010, 05:01:40 AM
Also there needs to be a wider variety of energy weapons.

There's a huge selection in New Vegas, though. Compared to Fallout 3, anyway. Some of them are pretty rare, so you may have trouble finding them. Notably the most epic weapon ever, the Plasma Caster, which has the same appearance as the Plasma Rifle from Fallout 1 & 2.

Brandon

Not including specials you have Laser/Plasma Pistols (including the defender), Laser/Plasma rifles, Gauss rifle, laser rcw, multiplas rifle (people claim its a shotgun but its really not), Gatling laser, flamer, incenerators, Plasma caster, pulse gun, recharger rifle, and tesla cannon.

Consider how guns is in the game right now. If you want a sniping weapon you tend to start with the varment rifle and move to hunting rifle, sniper rifle, anti material rifle in that order. Problem is, if you really like a long range plasma weapon, say a rifle, thats all you really have. You dont have varying upgrades of weapons as the game moves on like with guns. You also lack niche style weapons like a silenced SMG, pistol, or sniper rifle or shotguns. Energy does have more effective heavy weapons and with the addition of energy weapon friendly perks its getting better. However right now we need a much larger selection of energy weapons and energy weapon mods for it to be on par with guns

My biggest complaint about them right now is no close quarters or silenced energy weapons or mods to make said weapons
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

Well considering they are Lasers, they shouldn't need silencers...>_> Lawl Video game logic.

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on November 29, 2010, 07:47:32 AM
Not including specials you have Laser/Plasma Pistols (including the defender), Laser/Plasma rifles, Gauss rifle, laser rcw, multiplas rifle (people claim its a shotgun but its really not), Gatling laser, flamer, incenerators, Plasma caster, pulse gun, recharger rifle, and tesla cannon.

Consider how guns is in the game right now. If you want a sniping weapon you tend to start with the varment rifle and move to hunting rifle, sniper rifle, anti material rifle in that order. Problem is, if you really like a long range plasma weapon, say a rifle, thats all you really have. You dont have varying upgrades of weapons as the game moves on like with guns. You also lack niche style weapons like a silenced SMG, pistol, or sniper rifle or shotguns. Energy does have more effective heavy weapons and with the addition of energy weapon friendly perks its getting better. However right now we need a much larger selection of energy weapons and energy weapon mods for it to be on par with guns

My biggest complaint about them right now is no close quarters or silenced energy weapons or mods to make said weapons
Actually that's a fair shake as far as energy weapons go. Now I'd like to see a lightsaber but Lucas can get knit-picky on that kind of thing.

Anyway, there's a reason for the lack of energy weapons. Um... the gun has been around for about eight hundred years in the Fallout universe. The laser weapon only about what? Fifty if I remember correctly. They can't give you too much but I consider it enough when I can fill all my quick-change slots with a gun and not have any repeats.

Brandon

Fifty years is still quite a long time for weapons development companies to create a variety of energy weapons with different intentions, much like we have for projectile weapons. In fact with the US and likely other governments moving toward energy weapons for their militaries I find it harder to believe that there wouldnt be more types out there. An arms race is the perfect incentive for creating a wide range of energy weapons

However, something else that Ive touched on before and I hope that happens in future games is there dont seem to be any home made weapons anymore and there should be. Home made weapons should be widely sold and be craftable by the player. They should last longer and be easier to repair but due to the imperfect construction they shouldnt be as accurate or deadly as post apocolyptic weaponry. I mean come on, how many of us wouldnt love to make a couple home made laser pistols and go to town on the raider gang down the street?