The Cult - three story ideas, F for anybody

Started by Beorning, December 14, 2015, 05:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Hi there!

Lately, I've developed an itch for a story involving an religious cult.

The cult in this story would be a reasonably realistic cult, meaning the group wouldn't be hooded Cthulhu worshippers or anything like it :) Instead, I'd prefer them to be an unusual offshoot of Christianity. The group would be secluded, as well as very conservative and totalitarian, controlling all aspects of the members lives and using the various "thought reform" / "brainwashing" techniques allegedly used by cults. I'd like to use this story to explore a life in such an oppressive community.

When it comes for the exact setup, I have three ideas:

1. My character is a young woman who is swayed by the cult's recruiters and joins up with them on her own free will. Once she joins, she is taken to the cult's headquarters and experiences what the life there is like.

2. Inspired by the coming movie with Emma Watson: my female character tries infiltrating the cult to find someone who is, supposedly, held there against their will. What will happen next? Will she save that person - or will the cult break or sway her?

3. My character is already a member of the cult - maybe she joined up sometime before the story, maybe she was born into the cult. Anyway, on a rare time away from the cult's headquarters, she meets a non-member she falls in love with. Romance ensues!

So... that's the general idea. Any takers? I'm open about discussing the story's details, the identity and gender of my writing partner's character and so on. Let's brainstorm! :)

If interested, please PM me :)