Isle of the Damned - Recruitment Thread - Always Open

Started by GnothiSeauton, September 09, 2014, 04:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GnothiSeauton

GM Announcement

Sorry everyone for the flood of GM Announcements since last night...  Third one in less than a day...  Sorry for that!

After some discussion, Howling and myself have reached a conclusion on an important issue.  When I was developing this, this is something I went back and forth on for some time, and changed it multiple times.  If the game was going the way I had thought, I would have kept it the same, but since this has exploded with a large number of interested people and accepted characters, it's been decided to be changed for good.

QuoteWeaponry:  Hand to hand weapons (i.e. swords, axes, bow-and-arrow, spears), explosives (i.e. Molotov cocktails, oil and burning pitch).  Ship Weapons include scorpions, catapults, explosives, rams, cannon, etc.  Firearms will be limited to cannon and pistols/flintlocks.  Just keep in mind that pistols tend to be inaccurate, with a short range, and take some time to load.

That's right.  Cannon and Flintlocks.

If you'd like to add them to your character's inventory, just let us know about the changes the OOC (Extreme Small Groups Section).

No muskets or long-range rifles for now. 
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Rel Mayer

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh god yes.

I'm going to update a one shot short range pistol for Narcia, I wanted to give her one in the first place, but now that I know I can...oh she will have one. I'll make a note in OOC when I officially make the change.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Kokaine

Apologies for complicating things but I am going to drop my claim on Jonathan Rhys Meyer and take David Gandy instead.

If all goes as planned, Bael should be submitted later today.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Kokaine on September 13, 2014, 03:43:29 PM
Apologies for complicating things but I am going to drop my claim on Jonathan Rhys Meyer and take David Gandy instead.

If all goes as planned, Bael should be submitted later today.

Psh...  That's absolutely no trouble at all.

I'll go ahead and adjust the claim.

Steadily trying to work through the mountain of PMs of questions and character sheets.

Quote from: Deamonbane on September 13, 2014, 03:41:56 PM
I would like Miso to be carrying a Blunderbuss....

Lemme discuss it with Howling first.

Quote from: Rel Mayer on September 13, 2014, 03:26:33 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh god yes.

I'm going to update a one shot short range pistol for Narcia, I wanted to give her one in the first place, but now that I know I can...oh she will have one. I'll make a note in OOC when I officially make the change.

Sounds good to me!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Josietta

Still open for recruits?  I've been talking to BP about making a girl for her brothel.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Josietta

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Josietta on September 13, 2014, 06:07:16 PM
Still open for recruits?  I've been talking to BP about making a girl for her brothel.

Always open for new recruits!

Seeking New Stories

Josietta

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Deamonbane

Josietta

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Samael Grimaldi

If anyone is interested in plotting some connections, my new character Baldur Rhegnar is up :)

Discord: Archfiend7820

Bloodied Porcelain

I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Deathnote

~ ~ ~  "Hawk" Ying (阿鷹)  ~ ~ ~

Writer Name:  DragonTrainer

Character Name:  Ying

Alias / Nickname:  Hawk, The Archer

Face Claim:  Hu Ge

Blood Status:  Magic Born.  Hawk has a sort of "sixth sense" that activates whenever he's in danger and gives him seemingly omnipresent detection of his immediate surroundings.  It is, however, up to Hawk to identify the source of and react to his warnings, so he can be tricked if he doesn't think he's in any "real" danger.

Sellsword/Mercenary Company Name, Vessel Name, OR Country of Exile:  The Lookout / Boatswain of the White Lotus.

Country/Kingdom of Birth:  Tyr

Physical Description: Standing approximately 5 ft 7 and weighing 160 lbs, Hawk has a lean and wiry body, covered in scars ranging from burns, blade wounds, and one from a gunshot.  He has jet black hair and dark brown eyes; the kind of eyes that one can immediately notice as being sharp and ever-observant of his surroundings.  He is almost never seen without his bow and quiver of arrows.

Personality:  Spending most of his time up in the crow's nest, Hawk is best described as a daydreamer who likes to spend most of his time with his head up in the clouds.  He could even be described as a being a bit goofy.  He's approachable and tries to be friendly with other people. He can also be surprisingly stubborn and make very reckless decisions at times. Once he's made up his mind about something, he'll see through it to the end.

In the rare cases that he's able to stave off his daydreaming tendencies, he proves to be a very observant and analytical individual.  He may even fake his usual aloof and carefree nature to hide the fact that he's paying attention for once.  He's most likely to be like this when he has finally set his mind on a single, tangible goal.

Profession:  The Lookout / Boatswain of the White Lotus.

History:  Ying was born and raised in Tyr and was a descendent of a master archer, who was also a mercenary of The Berserkers.  He was practically taught how to use a bow and arrow as soon as he learned how to walk.  In addition to his weapons training, he was also taught strategic warfare and tactics, often by his cousin, Kappa, who was a pirate and sea artist.  One of the "tricks" he picked up during these lessons was the ability to read the skies and predict the weather.  This was a skill that was derived from the farmer's ability to read the weather and determine the best way to work on their crops.  Ying was eight years old when his magical abilities were discovered by people outside of his family.  In an effort to spare Ying's life, it was arranged for Kappa to take him far away from Tyr.

In order to escape out into the sea, Kappa had Ying join the pirate crew that he was a part of, which was led by the dreaded Captain Red Snake.  For the next two years, Ying worked aboard the pirate ship as a Powder Monkey.  During this time, Kappa taught the young lad how to read the ocean and maneuver ships.  Unfortunately, Kappa was getting a little too much support from the crew for Red Snake's liking.  Red Snake became paranoid that Kappa intended to mutiny against him and so he made the first move.  He had the Sea Artist along with his closest friends rounded up to be executed.  Enraged, Ying attacked Red Snake, but was easily subdued due to the large difference in size, skill, and experience.  Instead of killing Ying, however, Red Snake opted to throw him into the brig.  Ying never saw what happened to his cousin afterwards.  His cousin's bow and sword were both taken by the Captain as trophies.

While Ying was down in the brig, the ship was suddenly attacked by another ship.  Actually, it was more likely that Red Snake attacked another ship and bit off more than he could chew. Kappa's absence played a major part in Red Snake's eventual defeat.  In the confusion of the battle, Ying managed to escape from the brig and sneak into the Captain's quarters.  There, he claimed his his cousin's bow and sword.  With bow in hand, he stepped back out onto the deck to see Captain Red Snake in the thick of battle.  Notching an arrow, Ying fired off a shot and pierced the Captain's right eye.

As it turned out, the other ship belonged to Bartholomew Redwater, Pirate Captain of The Black Dahlia.  Redwater took Ying under his wing in spite of his young age.  Ying worked closely with the primary navigator at the time and continued honing the skills that Kappa taught him.  He would eventually adopt the nickname "Hawk" and aid fellow crewmate, Narcia Marrick in the capture of the ship currently known as the White Lotus.

Religion:  Non-religious

Weapons:  Ying's primary weapon is his Manchurian Horn Bow.  He also carries a straight sword, a few throwing knives, and a single flint-lock pistol (just in case).

Sexuality:  Heterosexual.

On's and Off's:  Check my O/O's

GnothiSeauton

Kind of an announcement, but not quite...

Since there has been some discussion on gun powder and the introduction of guns in this fantasy world, Howling and I, along with some contributions, comments, suggestions from Strangefate, have come up with a solution that, we feel, should help make things more even keel for those who wish to stick to more of the medieval aspect.

Howling is going to be working on a write up on this, and should have it out tomorrow (or there may be a whipping and a new hemp necklace for his new character he's working on ;)  ).  I'd ask that you please hold off for now on making changes to your weaponry, specifically the inclusion of guns to both your character and your ship.  These changes are going to be significant as to how firearms and cannon work, as well as how often they work.

Thank you for your time and for reading.

Seeking New Stories

consortium11

Quote from: Samael Grimaldi on September 13, 2014, 09:00:05 PM
If anyone is interested in plotting some connections, my new character Baldur Rhegnar is up :)

*Looks at your character sheet*

*Looks at mine*

*Looks back at yours*

*Looks back at mine*

We're sooo having a connection; PM incoming.

ArtemisHighmore

Apologies for the silence, been a rather hectic week. I am open to connections as well, with my character. xD

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: ArtemisHighmore on September 15, 2014, 03:21:17 PM
Apologies for the silence, been a rather hectic week. I am open to connections as well, with my character. xD

No need for apologies.

We all know how that can be.

Seeking New Stories

eightxinfinity

Got Ariki posted up in the game info thread. Took me a while since i was working on mobile the whole weekend, sorry about that.

Anyone want to work something out with a former fighting pit slave?
Ons/Offs and my poorly maintained idea thread

Bloodied Porcelain

I am going to go ahead and claim Katie McGrath for my fourth face claim. :D
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

Kokaine

Quote from: eightxinfinity on September 15, 2014, 09:14:30 PM
Got Ariki posted up in the game info thread. Took me a while since i was working on mobile the whole weekend, sorry about that.

Anyone want to work something out with a former fighting pit slave?

Good gawd! *fans self* Very nice character and Michael Jai White is just... unf!

*clears throat* Anywho...
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Deamonbane

Micheal Jai White! Fuck Yeah!

Also, I would like to claim Scott Adkins as my second character's face...

Bloodied Porcelain

I am turning my Katie McGrath face in to a non-magic healer. My plan is for her to be so good at what she does, creating poultices and potions and working with what the land provides and her knowledge of the human body that she has actually garnered a reputation as a witch and enchantress. She isnt of course, but people are superstitious and fear what they dont understand, so she is an outcast and doesnt even live in the main town, but rather a good distance outside of it. The natives would probably kill her for being a witch, except that they fear she will curse them for doing so.

She is gonna be so much fun :D

If anyone wants connections, I am open to them. I also got my Olina posted today if anyone wants to set stuff up with her.

PS: I know my punctuation was horrible in this. Bluetooth keyboard... proper punctuation is hard x.x

GnothiSeauton

GM Announcement

Concerning Firearms and “Dragon Powder”

Some time ago, when magic still dominated the lands of the world, a dark and terrible evil was born into existance.

Dragon Powder was first established deep within the mines and caverns of the Mountains of Malum.  Dark Wizards and Mages created a terrible, powerful matter into existence to aid in mining.  Dragon Powder, created from the crushed and powdered bones of dragons and dragon eggs, along with strange and foreign powders from the far east, proved to be a force to be reckoned with.  In the caves and mines, it had forever been known as powdered hell, with enough power and might to blast away huge sections of a rock wall with only a slight pinch of the substance.

It was around the beginning of End of Magic, other uses, more deadly uses, began to form because of it. During the Fourth War of the Blood Sea, between Malum and Pastoria, forces of Malum often carried with them “fire sticks”, primitive muskets fueled with the power of Dragon Powder to launch projectiles at a high and deadly speed, often strong enough to pierce through chain mail.  Pastorian forces were terrified of the new and deadly weapons, forcing them to change the way war was fought.  And yet, for all of the casualties suffered by Pastoria, the number of deaths were much, much higher in the armed forces of Malum.

So volatile, so dangerous, was Dragon Powder, that a few grains of the black powder could be the difference between a small spark, and a deadly explosion. During the war, there were more than a few incidents where miscalculations often wiped out companies of soldiers.  It took only so little to set the substance into an uncontrollable blaze, from a few grains, to just a degree of heat from the sun.  These incidents decimated the troops of Malum, forcing them to surrender.

After the War, Dragon Powder has often been seen as a taboo and cursed substance.  Countries such as Malum, Pastoria, Thohas, and Tyr have all banned the dangerous and cursed powder.  The punishment in some places, such as Tyr, is death, where others often imprison individuals carrying the powder for long periods of time.  Although Espata has banned the substance, the crime of selling it and purchasing it are often not enforced.

It is  a highly volatile and dangerous substance.  Some carry a loaded firearm with them in the off chance they need something quick, something to terrify and intimidate those around them.  Some ships carry heavy cannon, with powder stores that are only used in the most dire of situations.  While not banned outright on the isle of Effugios, those who abuse and are careless with such a terrible and powerful thing are often reprimanded and imprisoned deep within the fortress on the island.  Some establishments refuse to allow entry to those who carry firearms, fearful of accidents and incidents, weary of the taboo an cursed reputation of the powder.

There are many rumors about the powder. Some believe it to be the cause and catalyst for the growing decline and decay of magic in the world.  Some still talk of it's creator and the creator of the weapons which utilize the explosive abilities, of how both died in explosions from experimenting too much with the substance.  But everyone knows what a vile, volatile, and downright dangerous thing it can be in any hands...

Firearms will be a highly controlled and monitored element in the story.  If we feel that you're abusing the privledge, we will throw curve balls at you.  It is highly encouraged that you do not rely on firearms in combat.

These firearms are not something that you can fire in rapid succession.  Closely they resemble flintlocks and muskets.  They take time and concentration to load and fire.  In combat situations, you may be able to get one shot off, if the powder is not wet, before having to rely upon your skills in hand-to-hand combat.  In ship to ship battles, only a small number of cannon will be allowed, out of fear that such a volatile substance could bring down your ship easily.  Adding more than a few large guns runs the risk of making your ship heavier and slower, and more dangerous not only to other ships, but to your own as well out of fear of it being sparked and exploding.

Firearms should only be used in the most dire of situations or to try and intimidate those around you.  They have limited accuracy, meaning the closer you are, the more likely you're going to hit your target.

Seeking New Stories