What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Mmm. Civ. The expansion is coming soon. Excited!

Inkidu

Now I have the largest standing army in the world. In fact, I'm in lead on all demographics except my approval rating. Got into a tiff with Siam that went all serious. He almost took Kent, and I almost took one of his hard to pronounce cities. Though I couldn't bear losing a city so he came to the table and I signed out. However, I'm gearing up for round two any day now. I have battleships and carrier deploying. Bombers are being researched. I'm still kind of sidestepping the nuclear option though. Also, built the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

I didn't want to talk more about Diablo 3, but that game just ... it's getting progressively more boring. I think possibly because in all of Act 2, I got maybe three new gear pieces. I still managed just fine, too. Oh, and those were all from crafting. The thrill of looting and gearing up is simply absent from the game. Only very rarely are the fights any fun ( when the game throws 40+ enemies at you at once ). And the story is just the typical, predictable Blizzard swill. Nothing happens that isn't totally predictable. It uses the same familiar plot devices as every other Blizzard game.

It's a Blizzard game.

Also, why does no one even seem to acknowledge the ending of Lord of Destruction? It seems like kind of a big deal.

I really don't see what makes this game fun for anyone.

Maybe I'll reinstall Titan Quest, or something.

Edit: Here's one more thing I don't understand at all. Azmodan is, nominally, the Lord of Sin. It seems, however, the exalted writers at Blizzard had no idea of how to reflect this in his character, so he behaves in a manner that would be more appropriate for Baal, the Lord of Destruction ( somewhat paradoxically, the succubi encountered in Lord of Destruction are from Baal's own harem, which might've been more appropriate for the Lord of Sin... ).

Wolfy

With Borderlands 2 so close...does anyone think I should get Borderlands 1?

PSN has it on Sale for PS+ members at $20 with all the expansions....

Hemingway

Borderlands was a seriously overrated game. I wouldn't recommend it. Its story is lousy. The loot, despite sounding interesting in theory, isn't really all that. It's repetetive. Playing it alone is boring as all hell.

Geeklet

Borderlands was fun, but, not for $20. $5 or $10 maybe. Just something you can sit down, goof off with for a little while, and enjoy blowing stuff up. Beyond that... Meh.

Hemingway

I can't promise this'll be the last time I bash Diablo 3, because that's more enjoyable to me than actually playing the game, but I have an announcement to make.

Diablo 3 is the worst AAA game I've ever played. It has dull gameplay, with none of the excitement or challenge or action of the previous games. It has a terrible story, but goes out of its way to make that the focus of the game, instead of the killing and looting. Then, finally, the online requirement finishes the whole pile of junk off by introducing lag and disconnects ( complete with resetting your progress to the last checkpoint ) to a singleplayer game.

Congratulations, Blizzard. Starcraft 2 suffered from some of those problems ( mainly a story hardly worth of the term ), but at least the gameplay was fun. Diablo 3 is a chore. I regret buying it.

Now ... if only Blizzard would go the way of Studio 38. Some people may remember me having nothing nice to say about their atrocious game, Kingdoms of Amalur. What you may not have heard is that they went bankrupt after that, proving that there is some shred of justice in the world.

Oh, and ... just for giggles, if you ask me which game is better, Kingdoms of Amalur or Diablo 3 ... It's a hard choice, but I'd actually have to go with the former.

Sabby

...wow. Finally got pressured into trying Mount and Blade: Warband. This is fucking incredible o.o it's like one of those insanely complex open world RPG's from back when video games were just barely starting (think Ultima or a floppy disk space sim). But it's, ya know... playable.

Hemingway

It is, Sabby. It is.

Just remember: Nothing can stop a Swadian knight charge.

Nothing.

DajaOfTheNight

So roomie got Soul Calibur V from GameStop and I'm playing it while he'll let me.
Yea...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Waste of money! Only one "Storyline" that revolves around two dipshits and they replaced my favorite character with a wannabe werewolf! Everything else is eh and you don't even get an explanation why Ezio is there.
And with that I'm going back to Brotherhood.

Sabby

Tentatively trying some mods for M&B... still feeling gunshy after Skyrim >.> First sign of trouble the entire thing gets deleted and fresh install.

Sabby

AH! A minor hiccup! D= BURN IT! BURN IT ALL!

It's okay... you won't be hurting anyone again...

Inkidu

Quote from: DajaOfTheNight on June 17, 2012, 04:40:11 PM
So roomie got Soul Calibur V from GameStop and I'm playing it while he'll let me.
Yea...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Waste of money! Only one "Storyline" that revolves around two dipshits and they replaced my favorite character with a wannabe werewolf! Everything else is eh and you don't even get an explanation why Ezio is there.
And with that I'm going back to Brotherhood.
Yeah, I got tricked too. It's worse than two. If three is considered the best, yeah. It's worse than two.

Blizzard
Final Fantasy
Namco-Bandai

The list never gets shorter only longer -__-
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

LunarSage

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Oniya

In the absence of a) Internet, and b) consoles (can't find the right remote to get the TV into game mode), the little Oni and I have blown the dust off some truly old games that were lying around on my hard drive.

We have just finished mapping our second town in Might and Magic I.

Yes, the status messages flash by too fast to read, but frequent character checks make up for that - the important prophecies all stay onscreen until you move off the square or turn.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on June 17, 2012, 07:09:08 PM
AH! A minor hiccup! D= BURN IT! BURN IT ALL!

It's okay... you won't be hurting anyone again...

*wiggles around*

Hemingway

I just paid Blizzard another €30. Suddenly it all makes sense.

Diablo 3's underwhelming gameplay and story, all its lacking features and problems? All a clever marketing strategy, aimed to sell more copies of Diablo 2.

Which I just bought.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 18, 2012, 01:23:52 PM
I just paid Blizzard another €30. Suddenly it all makes sense.

Diablo 3's underwhelming gameplay and story, all its lacking features and problems? All a clever marketing strategy, aimed to sell more copies of Diablo 2.

Which I just bought.
What did you buy this time. Did they fool you twice? You know that they say about that. ಠ_ಠ

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on June 18, 2012, 02:41:35 PM
What did you buy this time. Did they fool you twice? You know that they say about that. ಠ_ಠ

Diablo 2 + Lord of Destruction, man! I'm playing it now. It's such a good game compared to Diablo 3. It's just a much faster, smoother experience, with more action and... ahh, it's just perfect.

I decided on an Amazon, but the choice wasn't easy. Unlike D3, where there's pretty much only one class I can play ( barbarian ), Diablo 2 has only two or three classes ( out of seven ) that I don't like that much ( Necromancer, Sorceress, Druid - notice the pattern ). I think I'm going to go with a bow-based Amazon.

I also considered Assassin, which I've never played properly before. Paladin is probably my favorite class, but I've played one before, several times. Barbarians are awesome, too, but since I've been playing one in D3, I felt like distancing myself from that experience.

And that's just the classes!

Inkidu

It's sick. They win they make money. They lose they make money. V__V

LunarSage

Quote from: Inkidu on June 18, 2012, 03:04:56 PM

That's just Corporate America.

BoggledMind

Playing several games:

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time- PS2 Game play is like that of Tales Of games but with minor differences. Story is great, and you can get different partners to stay in your party if you play your cards right. A lot of crafting as well.

God's Eater Burst- PSP Game play is almost exactly like Monster Hunter with minor differences, except it actually has more of a story. Totally recommended.

Daxter- PSP A fairly entertaining platformer

Shadowrun- Xbox 360 Best Xbox Live Game ever made. A lot of people still play it to prove this point. (Those who know about it anyway. Didn't seem that advertised)

Gonna take awhile to finish one considering I switch depending on my mood. Shame I won't have as much time when college starts in the fall. *sigh* And yes I am a gamer. IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED. Hohoho. *laughs proudly with chest sticking out*  ;D

LunarSage

Quote from: BoggledMind on June 18, 2012, 03:07:59 PM
Shadowrun- Xbox 360 Best Xbox Live Game ever made. A lot of people still play it to prove this point. (Those who know about it anyway. Didn't seem that advertised)

To each their own... I thought that game was an abomination that had little, if anything to do with the Shadowrun setting.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on June 18, 2012, 03:04:56 PM

Well, it's the last Blizzard product I'll ever buy unless they completely change their strategy. Before D3's release, I was hesitant, but I knew I'd end up getting the game at some point, somewhere down the line. But Heart of the Swarm, for instance, I have no intention of buying. Starcraft 2 actually had pretty fun gameplay, but it had the same Blizzard-y story ( or lack thereof ) as Diablo 3, and ... a game can get away with having a bad story if that's not the point of the game, but with Starcraft, for me at least, story has always been important.