The Hobbit... does it suck?

Started by Beorning, January 07, 2013, 12:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

That's what I keep hearing. Everyone seems to be complaining about this movie... My sister went to see it and hated it.

So, E, what's the movie like?

Chris Brady

I loved it.  It's different than LoTR, but in a good way.  Why are people complaining?  Yeesh.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Beorning

My sister said that there was too many things happening and that the movie gave her a headache...

Caeli

I loved it. Even though there was a lot going on (especially near the end), I thought that the portrayal of the characters was wonderful, and the conflict scenes fantastic to watch.

Why not go watch it, and see what you think of it?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Beorning

Yeah, I know. I hope to see it, eventually.

It's just all that negativity makes me a little less eager to see it...

Caeli

Well, people are going to hate on movies no matter what the movie is.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Sarena

My husband and I went to see it and I thought it was very well done.  If you are a Tolkien fan and have read the books, I can safely say that these guys that made the LOTR and Hobbit movies have done an excellent job in keeping with the books.   ;D  I cannot wait until it is released on DVD so that I can watch it again!
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Pumpkin Seeds

I really enjoyed the movie.  Honestly I was not a fan of The Hobbit, considered it very boring.  When I went to go see the movie I expected to not like it but honestly like this one more than any of the Lord of the Rings movies.  This was a very dark and somber interpretation of the book imo.  Definitely worth a see if only for the beautiful designs and scenes.  Also, the 3D was very well done.

DarklingAlice

It's a lot of fun and has some stark tonal shifts. There are things I can seriously complain about, but all in all it is a good movie. Mrs. A likes it less than I do because she doesn't think the slapstick parts really fit in, of course, we since started re-reading the book to her as a bedtime story and they are pretty faithful.

Though even though I like it, I would almost still prefer the old Rankin/Bass version (if for nothing but the understanding that you don't need to pad and split The Hobbit...), but when the DVD comes out I will definitely own it.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Stella

Loved it enough to see it twice! I had so much fun, and I am a pretty diehard Tolkien fan. I loved that the Dwarves finally had personalities instead of just being an interchangable collective. Thought the casting was brilliant, too. I could really go on for hours. In sum: loved it.

Silverfyre

It was enjoyable despite some pacing issues. See it for yourself and make your own judgment call instead of relying of reviews: they are quite subjective and limited to that person's perspective. It is best to just make your own call. If you liked LOTR, then you should enjoy this.

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on January 07, 2013, 01:12:03 AM
My sister said that there was too many things happening and that the movie gave her a headache...

As for 'too much going on' - has she even read the book?  'Cause there was a crap-load of stuff going on in the book, too (I've probably read it a dozen times or more over the years).  I heard the same sort of 'Ahhhh!  Plot!' reactions from non-fans who went to see the Lord of the Rings movies - too many people are used to 'boy meets girl, boy loses girl, carchasesplanecrashesgunfireexplosions!!!!!!, boy gets girl' movies.

Headaches may or may not have to do with 3D-ness.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mithlomwen

I saw it over the weekend and positively loved it. 

I've always been a huge LOTR fan, of both the books and the movies. 

Honestly, the first few minutes of the movie felt like going home again.  I would see it again in a heartbeat, and plan on owning it when it comes out on DVD. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Avis habilis

Quote from: Oniya on January 07, 2013, 09:32:50 AM
Headaches may or may not have to do with 3D-ness.

Or a 48-frame-per-second showing rather than the usual 24.

Sel Nar

Quote from: Avis habilis on January 07, 2013, 09:44:35 AM
Or a 48-frame-per-second showing rather than the usual 24.

That factor seems to only affect people unused to playing videogames, based on my observation of people going to see the movie; when you're used to playing games at 60+ FPS, 48 FPS is more 'About time!' than 'Agh, my eyes'. Remember, movies have been going at 24 FPS for the better part of a century; it's about time it got closer to what we're used to on consoles and PCs.

As for the movie itself, well, there's a reason it's sold out on every showing at the theatre I work at. So, take that as you will.

Oniya

Still, there's a possible 'tech-based' headache.  There's also the 'my brain is full, may I be excused?' variety.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Moraline

I've watched it 2x. I enjoyed it. I watched it on my computer but it was obvious that watching it on a large full cinema screen would have pluses. It's very cinematic with sweeping vista shots.

Acting was well done. Dialogue delivered well and with feeling. Great lighting/shadowing. Good special effects without being too in your face or over the top. It felt true to the book in my opinion. It had a somber tone but there were light hearted moments and Dwarven style merriment. Keep in mind that we are traveling with Dwarves this time and not a pack of Hobbits. Dwarves are a hard race.

My complaint about the movie was that it felt like half a movie.
General plot spoiler, nothing detailed

The entire focus of the show is that they are on an adventure to take back the dwarven city. It doesn't happen in this movie. It's a bit like LotR. The quest was to destroy the ring but it takes 3 movies to get it done. The big difference was that there are no really important or well focused on major hurdles in this movie. There is only one point/major obstacle and it's relatively anti-climatic with no final resolution. It actually feels like that obstacle is going to reoccur for them in a later movie.  I finished the movie feeling like I was only half way through it and now we have 2 more movies after this to go through before we reach the end. (Despite the fact that it took 3 hours to get there)

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on January 07, 2013, 09:32:50 AM
As for 'too much going on' - has she even read the book?  'Cause there was a crap-load of stuff going on in the book, too (I've probably read it a dozen times or more over the years).  I heard the same sort of 'Ahhhh!  Plot!' reactions from non-fans who went to see the Lord of the Rings movies - too many people are used to 'boy meets girl, boy loses girl, carchasesplanecrashesgunfireexplosions!!!!!!, boy gets girl' movies.

Actually, it may have to do with my sister being a fan of "ambitious" movies. She called The Hobbit "a slugfest", that it was about people who keeping walking and fighting, and that there wasn't any point to it...

Stella

Is she sure she saw the Hobbit? :p

Silverfyre

I was about to ask the same question.

Chris Brady

My question is more:  What type of film was she expecting?

Not that her description is remotely accurate, but what were her expectations?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Star Safyre

Quote from: Mithlomwen on January 07, 2013, 09:40:11 AM
Honestly, the first few minutes of the movie felt like going home again.

I felt this way every time they revisited a location.  I adored the milieu so very much; I actually got weepy about seeing Hobbiton.  (I strongly associate the movies with Mr. Fyre's and my early dating/engagement times, so forgive my sentimentality.)  I was able to forgive some of the more outlandish action, knowing much of it is canon.  I enjoyed what additions were made.  Essentially I say if you enjoyed the last movies and don't mind the action being a bit less serious (aside from the hate-boners and long, dirty stares between one of the main protagonist and antagonist), you'll enjoy it.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

BlightRaptor

Firstly I'll say that I enjoyed it. With that out of the way, the film HEAVILY embellishes the book. What was once a footnote becomes a whole scene, and this is how Jackson plans to stretch out a single book into three films. That's not a bad thing. I never felt the book actually went into any massive amount of detail describing what was going on. Your imagination kinda filled in the blanks (part of the charm of reading in the first place.) Film adaptations are just that. Adaptations. This is just one way to imagine the story.

Now I'll play devil's advocate, and suggest this might be part of the trend studios are following to milk a franchise for all it's worth, like it did with splitting up the last Potter and Twilight books into two movies. Personally though, after watching the film, I can't think of anything I would have trimmed out.

Arohk

I loved it as well. Out of the books, it's the one I have always read the most. I found no fault with it where other people had. Like at the beginning, how people say that it takes too long to get going. I don't think so at all. And in address to the more childish tones. Well. Anyone who has read the book knows that it was meant for a younger age than the other three movies. I think it was nearly perfectly executed and I feel sorry that it is getting a lot of bad reviews elsewhere. I personally think it's another gem and I couldn't believe the hours had gone by when the end of the movie came.