When do you start dropping birthday hints?

Started by Sasquatch421, September 23, 2012, 07:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch421

Ok so my birthday is in November, but I started dropping hints last week after I found a book that has the complete works of Edgar Alan Poe in my local Hastings. Would have hinted H.P. Lovecraft, but I have some of his writings and wouldn't want to put them through the what is it he has moments....

I'm just curious if you hint at gifts for your birthday or just let them buy whatever?

Which reminds me I have to buy my moms present soon....I think I'll get her the 7th season of Supernatural....So I can watch it....

Naiah

Well I dont get gifts anymore, but I would say its never too early to drop hints on what you like/want. The more vocal you are about what you like, the better chance of getting what you have hinted at imo :D

Chris Brady

If people remember, people remember.  Otherwise, nah.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Koren

Every year I just cut to the chase and type up or maintain a birthday list of gifts as everyone complains that I am just way too hard to buy for. If they ask, I email them the list. If not, oh well

KittyMocha

I try not to be the annoying "It's my birthday month~" type, but I do remind people on the first day of it that my birthday is in X days, and then again the week before.  Otherwise, no mentions.

Though, I'm pretty vocal about what I like -- my fandoms, likes, dislikes -- so I'm usually not too difficult to gift for.  I also will take it pretty well if you just ASK me what I want, and I'll even give you lists of things I've had my eye on if you want me to.  So, yeah, not usually much of a fuss for me.

Remy

I don't hint..I just come right out and tell them what I DONT want.

Lilias

I don't. I can only expect a present from my close family members, all of whom know the exact date, as well as my tastes. I can count on my mum to send me money, as she lives in another country, and my stepdaughter is likely to go 'Is there something at The Body Shop that you're after?', but, all in all, I'm not going to be disappointed.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Hemingway

Usually when people start talking about May Day. It's a national holiday, and a very popular day for heavy drinking, so people often ask what your plans for the day are. It's also my birthday. I guess I have it easy.

Jag

The hubby says I'm hard to shop for, which I think is nuts. So I made him a list a few years ago. I cross stuff off as he gets it for me and add stuff to it when it catches my interest. It has categories:

Books
Movies
TV Shows
CDs

Each category has about 6 or 7 items in it. He takes out the list, picks something random off of it, gets the item, gives it to me on my birthday, then I cross it off the list. It's worked for birthdays and Christmases for us. Though for Anniversaries, I have a list of the 'material' each anniversary is supposed to represent. He likes using that. He got me a Bone China tea set for our last anniversary because it was the China anniversary.

But I don't drop hints. While I do like getting gifts, I never expect to get them. I never have and likely never will. Most of my friends growing up never knew when my birthday was because I never mentioned it. It just doesn't really matter to me.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Sasquatch421

They say it's hard to shop for my brother and me as well. For the most part they are right, because we are the type to see something we like and buy it right away... I'm just trying to get them to move away from shirts. They do know me well enough to get ones I love, but I have two dresser drawers full of them already.

My youngest sister has it easy...Her birthday is on Christmas Day, so she gets twice as many presents. It does make planning a party easier though since the family gets together on Christmas.

Jag

My hubby is easy to buy for, but goes insane the moment he realizes you bought him something. I always wait as long as I can to order or buy what I'm going to get him because he doesn't like waiting once he knows it's in the house. >.<
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

tozhma

I prefer to drop really big hints by just buying something for myself.

Mora

Quote from: Naiah on September 23, 2012, 08:16:01 PM
Well I dont get gifts anymore, but I would say its never too early to drop hints on what you like/want. The more vocal you are about what you like, the better chance of getting what you have hinted at imo :D
Agreed. We can't read your thoughts, after all. ;D