News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Reviews

Started by backlash84, October 14, 2011, 11:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backlash84

I think it would be very interesting if on this site you could review others on their role playing and post it to their profile, that way people would know if they tend to drop their partners without notice, if they are really good at certain genres, or how often they respond.

Oniya

Just as a personal opinion - I've been on sites that have some kind of codified 'status' built in, and it really tends to become divisive.  Aside from the potential for abuse, there's always the simple fact that what one person likes in a co-writer isn't going to represent what another person likes.  It's easy enough to look up a partner's (or potential partner's) postings to get an idea of what sorts of stories they tend to write, or an idea about their writing style, and whether that fits with your own personal style.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Autumn Sativus

You can always just drop in a PM to both partners of a story with your thoughts, it's rarely un-desired. It's a nice touch to see someone enjoys your writing.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Nadir

I can't help but think what a terrible mess that would be. It would be a lot like a popularity contest, which is a rather repulsive idea. Not only that, but reviews come in more flavours than just positive and I don't see why anyone who is doing something in a non-professional capacity would want to be critiqued on it, especially to then be judged on those reviews by potential partners. This site already lets you look at a person's post history - if the quality or frequency of posts matters, it's freely available.   

Avis habilis

Not to mention, if you want to know what a person's like as a writing partner, you can always PM the other party/parties in their games & ask them directly.

jouzinka

On another note I think a Critique corner, where people could put their (separate) posts up for critique of their writing could certainly be beneficial. Same goes for O&Os. Something in the manner of: Is *this* clear enough and should I elaborate on *that* more?

In other words, let people who do desire to have their posts critiqued have the option to do so. Otherwise I'm with all the rest above me with it being a default.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Nadir

There was an attempt at that in 2009, called Roleplay Critique Exchange - it was a good idea but it never took off.

jouzinka

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Haibane

That looked a fantastic idea. I wonder if such a feature could be incorporated into the Elliquiy Herald as a semi-regular feature?

The thing with reviewing though, is many people don't feel qualified to do it, and many others don't have the time as it does take a fair amount of effort. Reviews are obviously also one-sided in a voluntary setting such as this. Reviewers choose what to review and will almost certainly not negatively review something they feel has faults. Its not like we are a magazine or newspaper and have a review staff who get the latest paperbacks dumped on them and get told "review this by Wednesday"... so even the reviews that are submitted may have limited value. I can't help feeling there could be an element of ego-massaging in there as well.

Maybe it is something to keep private and to just send your helpful comments by PM...

Scott

Not so crazy about the idea, things in the real world affect Elliquiys members, I'd hate to see someone slammed by your scoring system for post frequency if they were dealing with the sickness and death of a parent or friend for two months. Kinda adds insult to injury in my opinion.

Oniya

Also, there are people I've had stories with that disappeared without a word - and yet, when they showed back up and PMed me, it was only my own wonky schedule that kept me from picking things back up with them.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Saerrael

I'm very much against a global reviewing on Elliquiy. Writing here is more often to have fun and relax. Real life does come first, as well. And does 'I can't be arsed to write to (x) story today..!'

Oreo

There are enough people with different styles and posting rates to fit everyone's likes and dislikes. I for one am a very slow poster and would hate to have the added stress of thinking this makes me undesirable as a partner. It takes a bit of time to find just the right people to match your own rate and style, but it is worth the effort. I don't mind having my work critiqued, but I would rather ask for it, like in the above mentioned thread, than to have it come as a ritual and marked on my profile.

In the end I think it would lend to a divisive atmosphere rather than inclusive. I have had numerous partners leave for whatever reason, but I would always be willing to play with them again should time permit. Whatever their reasons for dropping the RP I assume they meant no malice. Sometimes the muse is a wily creature that refuses reins.

As for the Herald, it might be interesting to highlight RPs that have been running for a long time or have an interesting storyline. Even so, I would not want it to end up looking like a popularity contest.  :-\

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Oniya

There were 'Featured RPs' in a couple of issues.  One of mine was featured and I think Michi interviewed both myself and my co-writer about it.

Beguile's Mistress

The "Story of the Month" feature is one that has been asked about and something I personally would like to see revived.  Any story that has been moved to Completed Tales is eligible to be reviewed and/or discussed.

Send me a PM if you would like to nominate a story (not your own) to be reviewed as a "Story of the Month." 

The Herald & Post is always looking for contributors, either as a single article or a regular columnist.

Izzie Aditi

I'm not all too fond of the idea. While I do see how it could be useful to determine if you want to write with a partner, it's still a matter of tastes. Just because one or two or ten people dislike your writing, does not mean that the next person wouldn't love to write with you. I'd rather read through my partner's previous posts to see how they write and if our styles would mesh, I actually find that a fun thing to do.

Above all, it would start to feel too much like work for me. I work in a field where writing is very important and I get reviewed and critiqued on a regular basis, also by people who have had less of an "education" to do so. This is something I deal with every day, I come to Elliquiy to get away from that, to be able to write how I want for a change. Not that I let my writing slip and don't give it my best effort, but not all my posts are equally good. And I'm fine with that. Reviews here without signing up for it would make this feel like my job, and I am here to get away from that.
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

NileGoddess

While I am a little intrigued at a section of the board for "Here's a sample of my partner and I's roleplay, please tell us what you think," I would adamantly oppose having a visible system for players that show their 'score' as based on reviews from other players. The door is just left way too open for abuse. People who break off games would be at the mercy of other players, who might spite them negatively for dropping a game, despite the fact that they were the ones who were the cause of it. Assuming it could be anonymous, people could negatively review other players out of spite for something else as well. On the flip side, the wrong people could build up a positive score because they are friends with people who are obligated to give them a positive review.

This is just the tip of the iceberg I can think of, with plenty of other nasty permutations. We need to avoid ranking players on a system like this. People will start looking for highly reviewed players, and they obviously won't be able to start games with all the people who inevitably start to line up. Lower reviewed people would be ignored completely, and likely lose interest in the site. In the end, all we would do is create a large, awkward gap between players, and that's not what this site is about.

However, as I said above, I wouldn't mind there being some type of section for you to leave a link with one of your games, then ask for criticism. It could be completed, and you're wondering what the quality is like, or if it's unfinished or terminated, maybe you'd like to see if there's something you can do that can make you more appealing to partners.

Oniya

Many people leave links to their stories in their O/O threads, or on an Elluiki page, either as a way of keeping track of them or to let people see them as a writing sample.