Marvel Comics in Film: What Might the Future Hold?

Started by Mathim, June 20, 2013, 05:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

>_>  I will admit a certain wish for A&E to get off their butts and let Ioan Gruffudd do some more Horatio Hornblower...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Moraline

Quote from: Mathim on June 27, 2013, 05:41:13 PM
He is? Well, so much the better. It kind of annoys me when actors play multiple superhero movie roles (Ryan Reynolds, I'm looking at you!) I didn't like Chris Evans as the Human Torch but I am enjoying him as Cap, though.
I actually thought that Chris was perfect for both roles, although I'd rather them find a new Human Torch if they made more Fantastic Four movies. Since that role just seems easier to forget then the more centre piece Captain America is.

That reminds me, I really want to see a big special effects driven, Silver Surfer / Galactus movie with the Surfer's origin in it.

Here's another less mainstream one that would be fun to watch...
ROM: Spaceknight

Mathim

Quote from: Moraline on June 27, 2013, 06:38:42 PM
I actually thought that Chris was perfect for both roles, although I'd rather them find a new Human Torch if they made more Fantastic Four movies. Since that role just seems easier to forget then the more centre piece Captain America is.

That reminds me, I really want to see a big special effects driven, Silver Surfer / Galactus movie with the Surfer's origin in it.

Here's another less mainstream one that would be fun to watch...
ROM: Spaceknight

Well I just hated the FF movies period, so his performance didn't really help much. He's much better at Cap because of the wider emotional range anyway.

A stand-alone Surfer movie would be neat, and actually seeing Galactus outside of the comic pages would be interesting. I'd imagine him having a lot less pink and purple color in his outfit...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

Pink and purple would probably go out the window, but some metals exhibit interesting and unearthly colors when they oxidize.  (Look up pictures of bismuth for example.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Mathim

I'm just saying, planet-eating titans would do well to avoid pink and purple if they want to appear masculine. ;D

I just couldn't believe how bad the FF films were. Totally different from the comics and just entirely uninspired. At least they got accordingly bland reviews. I still have no idea where Iron Man 3 is getting such good reviews from.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Moraline

I've pretty much liked every super hero or comic book made into movie that I've seen.  I've enjoyed them as simple fun entertainment. I don't really take comics as a whole all that seriously so I usually fail to see how the movies are that bad.

Take FF, I felt that Johnny was suitably arrogant and brash. It seemed to fit the comic book character pretty well to me. Overall, I enjoyed the shows.

On the note of Galactus.. I picture it looking like this:

Oniya

Quote from: Mathim on June 28, 2013, 12:27:06 PM
I'm just saying, planet-eating titans would do well to avoid pink and purple if they want to appear masculine. ;D

Quote from: Moraline on June 28, 2013, 01:30:27 PM
On the note of Galactus.. I picture it looking like this:

Yeah... Still purple-ish, but no one is calling that 'feminine'.  CGI coloration is a long way from CYMK comic book half-toning.  Supes doesn't get blue highlights in the films either.

Mathim

I never really read the FF comics; I only saw Torch interacting with Spider-Man and they were on sarcastic but friendly terms. I didn't consider him that arrogant or antagonistic when it came to his relationship with Ben Grimm, but I know I didn't like that about him.

Oniya

He and Ben would get into it in the old cartoon version.  Kind of like Ben was the big brother Johnny never had - if anyone else messed with either of them, there would be hell to pay.

Mathim

Ah, I must have missed that. I only ever saw the old Spider-Man (1994) and X-Men (1993) cartoons.

Speaking of Spider-Man, the sequel to the not-so-Amazing Spider-Man is supposed to have the dual villains Electro and Rhino. Hopefully this will be more impressive than the first outing but I doubt it. None of the Spidey movies have done justice to him, I felt. Certainly not as cohesive or entertaining as the old cartoon show of my youth.

Oniya

Yeah, FF kinda predated that.  One of the basic cable channels was showing them a couple years back, along with 'Spiderman and his Amazing Friends (1981)'

Mathim

I meant the ones where the animation was actually passable, the one from the '90's like the other ones I mentioned. I think there was a similarly-animated and kid-friendly show for Iron Man too, and also one for the Hulk. Too bad they didn't cross over as often as they could have...the films have already proven how well that works!

Oniya

*nods*  I remember the Iron Man and the Hulk shows too.  Apparently there's a newer Fantastic Four on NickToons these days as well.  While I was looking for the one I was catching late-night I stumbled on it.  Looks to use the same animation style as 'Batman: The Animated Series' and 'Superman: The Animated Series'.

Mathim

I'd say a touch different style, but I get what you mean. Sometimes taking a leaf out of the old cartoons' books is a big problem, like the whole symbiote/Venom thing in Spiderman 3. Big freakin' mess.

Oniya

I only got a glimpse of it - enough to recognize that it wasn't what I was looking for.  ;D  We used to joke about Batman having a square chin in the comic books, but the new animation style gives him corners that could put your eye out.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Oniya on June 28, 2013, 10:18:20 PM
I only got a glimpse of it - enough to recognize that it wasn't what I was looking for.  ;D  We used to joke about Batman having a square chin in the comic books, but the new animation style gives him corners that could put your eye out.

GREAT JAWS OF JUSTICE BATMAN!

Aquaman was awesome in The Brave and the Bold though. BRIAN BLESSED as Aquaman, anyone?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Oniya

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 28, 2013, 10:22:52 PM
GREAT JAWS OF JUSTICE BATMAN!

Aquaman was awesome in The Brave and the Bold though. BRIAN BLESSED as Aquaman, anyone?

He'll always be a Hawkman to me.

Flash Gordon's Day.m4v

Mathim

Actually there's an Aquaman trailer for a movie that never got made, starring someone much younger and less hairy than Mr. Blessed.

Aquaman Trailer

Still, I'd much rather see a movie about Prince Namor the Submariner than Aqua Doofus...

Vorian

Never liked Namor in any role, personally. I'd rather see a good adaptation of Aquaman.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

Mathim

Eh. I'd settle for both. Rather have Namor in the MCU continuity so he can join the Avengers. I don't think him or Aquaman might have that great of a stand-alone film potential.

VoluptuousVixen

A Solo Black Widow Film. Looking at her origin teased in Avengers. She bloody needs one.

Heroes for Hire Film. With Luke Cage and Iron Fist. With a Jessica Jones Cameo.

A Captain Marvel movie with Carol Danvers as the lead hero. About time we see more female driven films.

Clock and Dagger film. And I would want a romance plot between them, they love each other but their fate prevents them from it.

A well deserved Black Panther movie. Just don`t marry him to Storm (Get him a new love interest)

TO sum up, I want to see more racial and gender diversity in superhero films.
I couldn't care less about seeing another white male based superhero film.
So Doctor Strange, Fantastic Four reboot, Sub-Mariner, another Hulk movie can all take a backseat in my eyes.

Mathim

Quote from: loislanekent on June 29, 2013, 11:56:01 AM
A Solo Black Widow Film. Looking at her origin teased in Avengers. She bloody needs one.

A Captain Marvel movie with Carol Danvers as the lead hero. About time we see more female driven films.

Clock and Dagger film. And I would want a romance plot between them, they love each other but their fate prevents them from it.

A well deserved Black Panther movie. Just don`t marry him to Storm (Get him a new love interest)

So Doctor Strange, Fantastic Four reboot, Sub-Mariner, another Hulk movie can all take a backseat in my eyes.

I disagree, both Black Widow and Hawkeye aren't worth their own films. Even Nick Fury wouldn't merit his own unless they were willing to have the original Nick Fury (the white one) and how his illegitimate son, Marcus Johnson, becomes the Nick Fury we know today. Imagine how cool it would be for a future MCU movie where Nick Jr. needs to call in a favor from his estranged father and get his badass pops to roll in with his troops. Freakin' awesome. They really need to stop lifting so much out of the Ultimate Marvel universe and pay more homage to the classics.

Anything revolving around the HFH should get its own TV series, there's no way single films will be able to appropriately cover their adventures. Plus it wouldn't do for them to fit in the MCU continuity, there isn't quite enough worldwide weirdness going on for them to be continuously employed.

I'd love to see a Captain/Ms. Marvel movie, but not til after they introduce the bulk of the alien races they're going to be featuring since she's a hybrid. She'd be an amazing female lead. I also like that Wasp and Ant-Man are partners (in more ways than one) so she'd be a great female Avenger too.

I don't know if Cloak and Dagger are popular enough so I can't really comment.

But yeah, Black Panther totally needs a movie of his own. I see him and maybe Falcon (once he's introduced in Captain America The Winter Soldier) having some connection, maybe bringing in SHIELD and Cap to help out.

I agree racial diversity and gender diversity would be fun but you have to admit, people want to stick with what they know and the majority of these popular characters are white males (or females). Luckily they're at least starting to do that with Rhodey being a badass inside and outside of his armor and with Anthony Mackie as Falcon, a new superhero to partner up with Cap. They're making progress, it's just a bit slow. Plus Doctor Strange has Wong and the Ancient One as cohorts, and they're awesome too.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Mathim on June 29, 2013, 12:49:31 AM
Actually there's an Aquaman trailer for a movie that never got made, starring someone much younger and less hairy than Mr. Blessed.

Aquaman Trailer

Still, I'd much rather see a movie about Prince Namor the Submariner than Aqua Doofus...

He made a pretty good green arrow in Smallville, and he is definitely yummy.

Quote from: loislanekent on June 29, 2013, 11:56:01 AM

As for more racially diverse characters, I think it's cool, but tbh any comic movie they come out with, as long as it's made well, would make me happy. 

And to add more racially diverse characters is another reason a Young Avengers film or show would be cool.  Elijah Bradley, who is Patriot, the teams own version of Capt' is black.  Eli, being the grandson of Isaiah Bradley, who, like Captain America, was also given the super soldier serum, or rather, the attempt at recreating the super soldier serum.  I always thought Eli was really interesting, andddd he was even at Storm's and the Black Panthers wedding, as a special guest.  I doubt they'd make a film about Elijah, but it would be cool if they did.

I also would love a young avengers film cause Wiccan and Hulking are gay, but you know, I'm not a fan girl, oh no.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Mathim

There's a fine line between diversity and pandering, so they need to be careful too...

Oniya

I know this is DC and not Marvel, (and I know they've already done the one with Hal Jordan), but what if they were to do a Green Lantern movie with the JLU incarnation?  Perfectly in-canon, and a well known hero (so it's not just 'Hey, let's find a black superhero to film').