In dire need of a mentor to clear up a mystery about Elliquiy

Started by joebradford, November 20, 2015, 09:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joebradford

I submitted my introductory post weeks ago (a pretty good one, if I may say so myself), then I got an email saying I had not completed my submission. I replied to this email and asked for help. No reply. Next I got an automated email saying my post had been sent to the held area. It said reply with any questions about how to proceed with the approval process. I replied. I asked for a hint as to what I was supposed to do next. No reply. Next: Another automated email. Replied. Ditto.

You can see where this is going. To infinity!

I'm intelligent enough, but I have not so far solved the conundrum of how to navigate this mysterious approval process. If you have read this far, won't you take pity on a new applicant and help me crack the code? What do they want me to do??

BTW, I'm a professional writer and I'm confident I could bring quality writing to Elliquiy...IF I can get in!

Thanks!
Recently approved. Elated to be here. Or maybe ecstatic. (Not sure which, but I know it starts with E!)

Blythe

Firstly, welcome back! Sorry you're having some trouble with the app process!

Your intro is here.  :-(

To explain a bit about E, just filling out the questionnaire alone does not ensure approval. The e-mails are a bit of a reminder to check your introduction thread to interact there if people left replies, as the approvals team expects a certain amount of interaction with you after filling the questionnaire out, to get an idea if you are a fit for the community and if the community is right for you. Just check your intro thread to see if any people have replied to it, answering questions/prompts as needed. This has the added nice effect of letting you dip your toes in and talk to Mentors and sometimes members while applying, which can be useful, considering how big the community here is.

After sufficient interaction and when the approvals team has time, they will make a decision about whether or not you are approved.

Just be yourself and keep an eye out on your thread for questions and interactions! :)

joebradford

Quote from: Sherlock on November 20, 2015, 09:52:40 PM
Firstly, welcome back! Sorry you're having some trouble with the app process!

Your intro is here.  :-(

To explain a bit about E, just filling out the questionnaire alone does not ensure approval. The e-mails are a bit of a reminder to check your introduction thread to interact there if people left replies, as the approvals team expects a certain amount of interaction with you after filling the questionnaire out, to get an idea if you are a fit for the community and if the community is right for you. Just check your intro thread to see if any people have replied to it, answering questions/prompts as needed. This has the added nice effect of letting you dip your toes in and talk to Mentors and sometimes members while applying, which can be useful, considering how big the community here is.

After sufficient interaction and when the approvals team has time, they will make a decision about whether or not you are approved.

Just be yourself and keep an eye out on your thread for questions and interactions! :)

Thank you so much, Sherlock! I could have had my replies in the very next day had I realized the things you so kindly told me. I now have replied to all questions and writing assignments and am ready to venture out and explore and interact.

After I posted all my replies, I realized I had nipped off the ending "quote" tag, and they all were embedded in the tiny type of the quotes. Sheesh, trying to make a good impression here, and I go and pull that stunt. So I reposted them all correctly, hoping I don't get "Dumbass" stamped on my chart!

Thank you once again for helping out a newbie!

Joe
Recently approved. Elated to be here. Or maybe ecstatic. (Not sure which, but I know it starts with E!)

Blythe

Quote from: joebradford on November 21, 2015, 12:02:55 AM
Thank you so much, Sherlock! I could have had my replies in the very next day had I realized the things you so kindly told me. I now have replied to all questions and writing assignments and am ready to venture out and explore and interact.

After I posted all my replies, I realized I had nipped off the ending "quote" tag, and they all were embedded in the tiny type of the quotes. Sheesh, trying to make a good impression here, and I go and pull that stunt. So I reposted them all correctly, hoping I don't get "Dumbass" stamped on my chart!

Thank you once again for helping out a newbie!

Joe

Awesome! There will be other questions/prompts, so keep an eye out!

And I would not worry about the snafu with the quote tags--these things happen, and little mistakes like that don't reflect poorly on you. I think a lot of us around here have mucked up the quote function before, and the approvals team is understanding about it in particular for new folks, as you don't have access to the edit function.  :-)

You are most welcome! Take care, and have a great day!

~Sherlock

MasterMischief

Quote from: joebradford on November 21, 2015, 12:02:55 AM
So I reposted them all correctly, hoping I don't get "Dumbass" stamped on my chart!

One of the great things about E is that kind of thing does not happen around here.  I have seen plenty of forums where new people are eaten alive.  Woe unto anyone who asks a question that was asked back in 2003.  I mean, seriously, do you not know how to use the search function.  E is a different kind of community.  We try to be very welcoming to new people.  We were all new at some point.

Good luck with your application!

joebradford

Quote from: MasterMischief on November 21, 2015, 10:15:49 AM
One of the great things about E is that kind of thing does not happen around here.  I have seen plenty of forums where new people are eaten alive.  Woe unto anyone who asks a question that was asked back in 2003.  I mean, seriously, do you not know how to use the search function.  E is a different kind of community.  We try to be very welcoming to new people.  We were all new at some point.

Good luck with your application!

Thank you, MM. Yes, I'm picking up on that sense of community and maturity. And friendliness. That's why I want in E and only E. Will not settle for less! :)

joebradford

Quote from: Sherlock on November 21, 2015, 12:06:26 AM
Awesome! There will be other questions/prompts, so keep an eye out!

And I would not worry about the snafu with the quote tags--these things happen, and little mistakes like that don't reflect poorly on you. I think a lot of us around here have mucked up the quote function before, and the approvals team is understanding about it in particular for new folks, as you don't have access to the edit function.  :-)

You are most welcome! Take care, and have a great day!

~Sherlock

Sherlock, you just don't know how much I appreciate the helping hand. I was stuck in the mud. Now I'm all over Elloquiy. (As much as I can be, unapproved.) Thanks for wenching me out of the quagmire! :)