Hollow Earth Pulp Adventure Interest Check (Freeform, LGBT friendly - 1930's Strangeness!)

Started by Crash, August 18, 2015, 05:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash

So here is my latest idea.  I am thinking a Hollow Earth Pulp style game, 1930’s-ish.  I am looking for a group of explorers and accidental tourists that set out on one adventure and find themselves stranded in a world both familiar and out of time...Hollow Earth!  The starting group would not be from Hollow Earth but elements that exist there could become player characters as they are discovered.  So if a Guided Sandbox style game that involves Explorers, Amazons, Dinosaurs, Sabertooth Tigers, Atlanteans and Nazi’s sounds fun (and really who doesn't like punching Nazi's), let us discuss strange science and leopard skin bikini’s. 

If there is enough interest I will develop this more and start a recruitment thread.

I will endeavor to create NPC’s of different genders and orientations, which should be interesting as I have not done so in the past, but want to be more inclusive in the future.  That said all genders and orientations welcome as I have never had a problem with others playing anyone they like. 

If we get into recruitment and character creation I would be handling the role of Expedition patron so we can have a direction to start off the game and move on from there.  As mentioned above the players would need to start out as part of the expedition or on the same boat for whatever reason.  I would also ask that real people and not artwork be used as face claims.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Foxy DeVille

Crash

Definitely going a little campy here and a little cheesecake is kind of build into the genre.

Some inspirations...

(Yes they are not all 1930’s)

[img height=300 Padding=5]http://theredlist.com/media/database/muses/icon/cinematic_women/1940/veronica-lake/008-veronica-lake-theredlist.jpg[/img] [img height=300 Padding=5]http://www.craveonline.com/images/stories/2011/2012/June/Film/The_Most_Dangerous_Game.jpg[/img]

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Capone

Expressing tentative interest.

So I imagine the expedition will be looking to hire a combination of muscle and brains? Experts in various forms of science and history combined with brawny folks that can just get things done? What sort of client would they be leading into this expedition? High class? Perhaps big game hunters? What would be known so far versus how much is mystery?

Crash

The players would know nothing of Hollow Earth.  The Expedition leader would be a famous Britsh adventurer.  The ship will be chartered to travel to the Yucatan but will not have made it.  The ship will have been a liner with other passengers too to allow for fish out of water characters.  Yes brawn and brains are needed on an expedition but some positions are vanity too.

greenknight

Quote from: Crash on August 18, 2015, 06:41:28 PM
a little cheesecake is kind of build into the genre.
Dude, cake is baked, baked in. But it's also cheesecake, so I guessed it's whipped. >:)
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Crash on August 18, 2015, 06:41:28 PM
Some inspirations...

(Yes they are not all 1930’s)

I demand that gentleman be in the story in one for or another. That facial hair is too good to pass up.

I'm thinking of maybe being an actress who is supposed to join her film crew on location for a monster movie. So she would really be a fish out of water.

Crash

Oh I plan on having him or someone like him in the story.

That concept fits in quite well.

Capone

Got a few potential ideas bouncing around my head. A boxer that failed to take a fall he was supposed to take, running with the money and using the expedition as a sort of hiding place to lay low. A journalist of sorts, either writer or a radio announcer using the trip for a story. Or a down-on-his-luck fellow whose best girl left him after he had been unemployed for a while and took a job as part of the expedition (part of its maintenance crew for whatever vessel they're on?) because, hey, a job in this day and age is a blessing. Doesn't matter where it is or where it's taking you.

I'll see if I can figure something out.

greenknight

Dibs on the big game hunter with a million stories and he knows everyone because he's been their safari guide.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

Dhi

Crash

If we get enough interest I will get a character sheet up.

Quote from: Dhi on August 18, 2015, 09:55:30 PM
Interested in playing a spy for the Reich.

Totally works.

greenknight

Sorrow Singer

I'm interested, awesome setting choice. Still drafting character concepts.

Grizzly

My curious has been piqued. 

How much of the Hollow Earth system would we need to know?  I've only played a short demo of it and I liked it, but that was several Gencons ago.

We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Crash

Freeform.  Not a lot of using the game other than stealing the name and graphic. :)

Darkleather

Joel

Crash

IrishWolf

Quote from: Crash on August 18, 2015, 07:25:47 PM
The players would know nothing of Hollow Earth.  The Expedition leader would be a famous Britsh adventurer.  The ship will be chartered to travel to the Yucatan but will not have made it.  The ship will have been a liner with other passengers too to allow for fish out of water characters.  Yes brawn and brains are needed on an expedition but some positions are vanity too.

This gives me an idea for a character. Older gentleman, somewhere in his forties, formerly an officer in the Kaiserliche Marine, a Kapitänleutnant in command of a U-Boat, a stout monarchist and Prussian Junker, who left Germany after WW1. He's drifted around the world's oceans on different ships until ending up as second or third officer on the liner.

Crash

One thing I require for running games is a good mix of male and female players as well as characters.  I would like to see some more female player interest before I really push forward with moving to recruitment.

Capone

I tried to give it some thought today, but I couldn't come up with a character concept that I was really pumped about, so I'll be withdrawing my interest from the game.

Good luck, though! Sounds like it could be sweet.

Crash

No worries Capone, this is why I do interest checks before recruitment. ;)

Crash

I think I am going to hold off on running this one for now.  I may develop this a little more and repost it later for recruitment.  I have another idea I am going to post that does not require as many players as I feel this does.

Darkleather