Started by Beorning, August 06, 2014, 03:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

I'm trying to find an avatar for myself... but, somehow, all of my avatar ideas are images from comic books. And these things are copyrighted...

So... here's a question: has there ever been a situation on Elli that some person from outside saw someone's avatar and demanded to have it removed or threatened legal action? I'd like to have an avatar, but I don't want to have police come to my home or have some lawyer demand money from me for breaking copyright...

I know I could've asked about it before, but it's because this matter gives me a headache.

Kye

As long as you're not making money from the use of the image large companies (such as comic publishers) aren't going to worry about it as a general rule.

If you are concerned about it I'd suggest putting a link to the artist in your OO's or signature giving them credit for the image. 

Beguile's Mistress

*nods*  I used a really epic Wonder Woman image for an avatar on another site, now defunct, based in the UK.  Many of our members had super heroes and anime and video game figures as well.  Never had a problem that I can recall.

King Serperior

Agreed with both Kyrsa and BeMi.  I use avatars from games and anime for about 3 years of forum experience now and have not had a single issue.  I know others who have done so for much longer.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Aislinn

Agree with that Kyrsa, BeMi and KS said. Because I worry about such things, I have almost always contacted the artist or model and asked for permission to use images...but that is just me and is -not- a requirement here at E.  ;D
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Vekseid

Quote from: Beorning on August 06, 2014, 03:19:59 PM
I'm trying to find an avatar for myself... but, somehow, all of my avatar ideas are images from comic books. And these things are copyrighted...

So... here's a question: has there ever been a situation on Elli that some person from outside saw someone's avatar and demanded to have it removed or threatened legal action? I'd like to have an avatar, but I don't want to have police come to my home or have some lawyer demand money from me for breaking copyright...

I know I could've asked about it before, but it's because this matter gives me a headache.

People have asked for posts to be removed. No one has asked for an avatar to be removed.

It's hard to deny that avatars are themselves transformative (that is, we use them not as a gallery but as a means of pseudo-identification like a name), they don't replace the original work, and that we don't make money off of them.

Beorning

What about stuff like screen caps or promotiona photos from movies / TV shows? Could they be in any way problematic?

Kye

No, I really don't think they would be problematic at all. Once again, a number of people use them on Elliquiy and it hasn't been an issue. 

Beguile's Mistress

I think if you can click 'view image' or its equivalent without a copyright message showing you should be fine.

Also, with pixel size of avatars limited to 150 x 200 there are a lot of us who can help with cropping and resizing if you need it.

Beguile's Mistress

Beorning

I also considered using a screencap of Alexandra Bastedo (AKA the most beautiful woman ever  ;D), but considering that Ms. Bastedo died earlier this year  :-(, this would feel a bit weird...

Beguile's Mistress

She is beautiful and featuring her in an avatar wouldn't be inappropriate.  Perhaps later you can do that.

Beorning

Well, maybe. I'll see. For now, it's Ms. Templeton by Mr. Epting.  ;D