Minor Inbox issue

Started by Xenphir, August 28, 2013, 05:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenphir

Well I have this minor glitch of sorts that, once I get a message it pops up like normal you know, "You have x messages, 1 of which are new" and I click it to read it, I reply, but after  I leave it still says its new :O It happens until I refresh the page about 5 times. It's nothing big just a tad annoying x3

Robelwell202

I'm having that same issue, so you're not alone.
Mal:  "Define 'interesting'."
Wash:  "Oh God, Oh God, we're all going to die?"

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Blythe

I've had that issue since joining the site. I'm curious if it's just a little thing that is not important or if there is a solution. While it does not impede my enjoyment of Elliquiy, I'm curious what causes it?

Oniya

I've started having it since moving over to the https: protocol.  I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but if I hit 'cancel' the second time that the 'Do you want to open the message in a new tab' box appears on my screen (after I know that I've read the message(s),) it seems to stop the popup until there's a genuine new message.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Quote from: Blythe on August 28, 2013, 07:07:20 PM
I've had that issue since joining the site. I'm curious if it's just a little thing that is not important or if there is a solution. While it does not impede my enjoyment of Elliquiy, I'm curious what causes it?

Caching is a mechanism by which data gets stored in some intermediate form for faster access.

The value itself is denormalized - rather than calculate it each time (which would be expensive) it just gets stored as an integer that gets incremented when you get messages and decremented when you read them - it rarely gets out of synch, but in theory is possible for it to do so. I have to fix these instances manually.

This value then gets cached to the server's RAM as raw data (along with everything else, at least for a few more months until our database outgrows its ram allocation again). Queries which read said data get placed in the query cache. These are both well-tested caches, and though the latter has a number of issues, it won't return invalid results.

From there it gets handled by the software - SMF uses php's APC cache, as well as its own on-disk cache. Caching was unfortunately added as an afterthought to SMF 2.0 rather than built with such in mind, as [Unknown] himself admitted. It's functional and works, obviously, but some people experience delayed data because it doesn't always properly invalidate the cache on an update.

The database and caching handler was one of the first things I completed properly for the new CMS. As such it's much more robust there.

Quote from: Oniya on August 28, 2013, 07:30:37 PM
I've started having it since moving over to the https: protocol.  I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but if I hit 'cancel' the second time that the 'Do you want to open the message in a new tab' box appears on my screen (after I know that I've read the message(s),) it seems to stop the popup until there's a genuine new message.

This should resolve itself once https gets forced.

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on August 28, 2013, 07:41:37 PM
This should resolve itself once https gets forced.

Good to know.  It's not causing me any distress, but it's something else to look forward to in addition to the more secure data transfer.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blythe

Ah, thank you for the explanation, Veks. Much appreciated. ^^

TheBlackRider

I'm actually having the opposite issue. Ever since the server move, I've stopped seeing the red text that lets me know I have a new message.

BAMF

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the explanation! I had been meaning to pop my head in and let it be known that I'm having the issue as well.

Thank you for all that you do, Veks! You are one awesome dude! <3
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«