News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

RPG/JRPG What are you playing now?

Started by Oreo, November 27, 2015, 03:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GanonDwarf

If Indivisible counts,I just played the demo. And it's so good. I hope it gets funded.

Other than that, I've started playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

Mathim

Quote from: Dwarfvader on November 30, 2015, 06:05:47 AM
If Indivisible counts,I just played the demo. And it's so good. I hope it gets funded.

Other than that, I've started playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.

I've stopped playing Pokemon for the foreseeable future but I do remember the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald generation being my least favorite. Hoenn just didn't have the variety needed to build a solid team and was too short to make a team that would be at a high enough level to really do well against the Elite 4 and Champ. Plus there was just so damn much water...made exploration a real pain. I wonder what exactly this upgrade did to improve the game, as someone at Gamestop claimed it did.

I played a demo of a similar 'catch a monster and use it to battle more monsters' game recently called Yokai Watch for the 3DS. It's even cutesier than Pokemon and rather than getting into random battles just by wandering around, you have to find hidden demons with a mechanic similar to finding clues and such in the Phoenix Wright games, except instead of clicking on everything, you move the magnifying glass around until you see the outline of a ghost/Yokai and you have to keep it on them even as they move around trying to avoid detection, then once they're revealed, you fight. I guess this way you never have to worry about being jumped when you have low health (although I assume your health regenerates automatically after each fight, even though it was only a demo version). Battle is also way different, as everything pretty much proceeds automatically except you have the option of choosing certain special commands, otherwise your party just uses their one or two basic moves. What's neat is that you have a party of six, but only three at a time can fight, and there's a wheel in the middle where you can rotate it and swap out fighters instantly, unlike Pokemon where you lose a turn by doing so. There's no way to 'pause' the battle though, so everything is constantly moving which I dislike but then, I am getting a little tired of RPG battles where what you need to do is so automatic that it gets boring. Things like this keep you on your toes so it's a little more engaging. Speaking of engaging battle systems...

Anyone ever play any of the Megaman Battle Network series? There's six of them and they started doing the 'two versions' thing like Pokemon around part 3. The RPG battle system is awesome, you've got to try it out, and amazingly enough if you have a Wii U, you can download up to part 4 on the Wii U Virtual Console, otherwise it's only available on the Gameboy Advance (except part 5, both versions are on the DS, though that one is my least favorite). My favorite was part 2, before they started splitting it up into two versions. There's also Megaman Star Force for the DS, which has 3 in the series, the first two having 3 different versions and the third only having two, though it really matters very little which one compared to the differences between the Pokemon games. The battle system in these is much less challenging but still reminiscent, though I'd have to say I genuinely preferred Battle Network to Star Force.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Drake Valentine

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Mathim

Quote from: Drake Valentine on November 30, 2015, 11:51:49 AM
Jade Cocoon.

Close enough.

Sounds interesting. I wonder if it's available on the Playstation Network? I hate how there's still so many good PSX titles not available on it...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Mathim on November 30, 2015, 02:36:25 PM
Sounds interesting. I wonder if it's available on the Playstation Network? I hate how there's still so many good PSX titles not available on it...

Unfortunately, it isn't. It was only released on PSN for Japan.

I am just fortunate to have a PSone copy laying around to play.

Sadly, I don't have the sequel to it and supposedly there is a rumor of a new Jade Cocoon coming out for PS4.

It is just one of those rare gems that doesn't get enough attention, truly. I honestly prefer it over Pokemon any day.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Sasquatch421

Mathim

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on November 30, 2015, 06:23:22 PM
Lunar: Silver Star Story

Yet another one I wish beyond wishing that they'd put on PSN. That, and its superior sequel Lunar 2: Eternal Blue.

Oreo

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on November 30, 2015, 06:23:22 PM
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Quote from: Mathim on November 30, 2015, 07:02:06 PM
Yet another one I wish beyond wishing that they'd put on PSN. That, and its superior sequel Lunar 2: Eternal Blue.

Is that different than Lunar: Silver Star Harmony? Or is Harmony a sequel?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Mathim

Quote from: Oreo on December 01, 2015, 02:11:48 AM
Is that different than Lunar: Silver Star Harmony? Or is Harmony a sequel?

I've never even heard of Harmony. There's the originals from I think the Sega CD, Lunar: Silver Star Story, and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, then the remakes on the Playstation, LSSS Complete and L2EB Complete. Then there was a Gameboy Advance remake of LSSS called Lunar Legend which was meh. Then there was a Nintnedo DS...I want to say prequel, Lunar: Dragon Song which got horrible reviews. I've not been made aware of any further entries in the series.

Edit: Okay, after a brief wikipedia search, I found Harmony. Apparently it's yet another remake of LSSS, though to what degree it differs from the Playstation version, I am uncertain, but it's not a sequel, prequel or different game because it stars the entirety of the cast from the original. I know the PSP has a few remakes of games that differ from the original PSX versions (Medievil Resurrection, for instance) but like I said, how different Harmony is from SSS Complete, there is no data, at least not on wikipedia. Maybe youtube can shed some light on what significant differences there might be. All I hope is that they kept the original voice cast and animated sequences. Damn, now I have to get a PS Vita...

Oreo

*chuckles* That is why I ended up getting a 3DS. They seem to have more JRPG type games. I just wish I had gotten the New 3DS XL instead of the 3DS XL so I could be playing Xenoblade.

We've had our PSP since it came out, but didn't get the Vita until I saw Tales of Hearts R was available.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Mathim

Quote from: Oreo on December 01, 2015, 08:25:11 AM
*chuckles* That is why I ended up getting a 3DS. They seem to have more JRPG type games. I just wish I had gotten the New 3DS XL instead of the 3DS XL so I could be playing Xenoblade.

We've had our PSP since it came out, but didn't get the Vita until I saw Tales of Hearts R was available.

Does that mean Xenoblade requires the use of Amiibos or is there a different reason you can't play it on the regular 3DS instead of the New type? Because the guy at Gamestop told me that was the only difference, is that the New 3DS could work with Amiibos.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on December 01, 2015, 11:35:20 AM
Does that mean Xenoblade requires the use of Amiibos or is there a different reason you can't play it on the regular 3DS instead of the New type? Because the guy at Gamestop told me that was the only difference, is that the New 3DS could work with Amiibos.
I was told by my Gamestop guy the New 3DS had a better processor.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Revelation

Quote from: Mathim on December 01, 2015, 11:35:20 AM

New 3DS (XL) has improved processors and sound. IE: The old XL has to shut down parts of the OS to run smash bros and monster hunter XL. New 3DSXL does not. the sound quality is also much improved. The new XL also has face tracking for better 3d.

Oreo

I am going to go with Inkidu and Saint. All I know was I was just about to buy Xenoblade Chronicles on Amazon when I noticed someone mentioned it only works with the New 3DS.

Revelation

So far, Xenoblade and Binding of Isaac are the only exclusive games for the N3DS and that's due to improved processing powers. Some games do get improvements, Smash and Monster hunter 4u. (Improvedloading times and better shadows/textures for MH4U), but those are the major ones so far.

Mathim

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 01, 2015, 02:00:44 PM
So far, Xenoblade and Binding of Isaac are the only exclusive games for the N3DS and that's due to improved processing powers. Some games do get improvements, Smash and Monster hunter 4u. (Improvedloading times and better shadows/textures for MH4U), but those are the major ones so far.

Not to get overly off-topic but it sounds like Nintendo stumbled out of the gate with their new handheld if they have to create an updated version of it like this without making any other severely different features, like how the original Gameboy Advance had major changes when they brought out the GBA SP which had an interior rechargeable battery and was modeled like a flip-phone.

Anyone like the Paper Mario series? The Thousand Year Door is among my favorite games of any type, but the Wii sequel, Super Paper Mario, was a bit disappointing, and Sticker Star on the 3DS isn't exactly what I had in mind either. I yearn for a true in every sense of the word Paper Mario 3, hopefully for the Wii U, where you don't have a world map like in normal Mario platformers and where turn-based combat actually gives EXP/Star Points, and you have a partner in battle.

Revelation

Quote from: Mathim on December 01, 2015, 06:24:18 PM
Not to get overly off-topic but it sounds like Nintendo stumbled out of the gate with their new handheld if they have to create an updated version of it like this without making any other severely different features, like how the original Gameboy Advance had major changes when they brought out the GBA SP which had an interior rechargeable battery and was modeled like a flip-phone.

Anyone like the Paper Mario series? The Thousand Year Door is among my favorite games of any type, but the Wii sequel, Super Paper Mario, was a bit disappointing, and Sticker Star on the 3DS isn't exactly what I had in mind either. I yearn for a true in every sense of the word Paper Mario 3, hopefully for the Wii U, where you don't have a world map like in normal Mario platformers and where turn-based combat actually gives EXP/Star Points, and you have a partner in battle.

This was basically the DSI/DSI XL all over again and most people shoulda seen that coming. I sold my old XL for a new XL though, solely for monster hunter 4U as that game is my jam and has been since I got it. Also because my joypad on it was getting bad.

I've heard the new superstar/paper mario crossover game is good but I don't play the series.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Mathim on November 30, 2015, 07:02:06 PM

You would likely spend less then I did on it then... If I remember right I spent 70 dollars on Lunar and 100 on Lunar 2. Then factor in the other greatest RPG ever Phantasy Star 4... I do need to replay Grandia as well... Possibly do another run of Rogue Galaxy as well...

Mathim

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on December 01, 2015, 08:37:28 PM
You would likely spend less then I did on it then... If I remember right I spent 70 dollars on Lunar and 100 on Lunar 2. Then factor in the other greatest RPG ever Phantasy Star 4... I do need to replay Grandia as well... Possibly do another run of Rogue Galaxy as well...

Oh, I owned both games at one point, but I lost Silver Star Story after being tossed into the jaws of the foster care system, and after, I found a copy of Eternal Blue (around $60 at the time) but the discs got so messed up they're unplayable anymore. Haven't yet tried Grandia or any of the Phantasy Star series, and while I bought Rogue Galaxy at a flea market years ago, I never popped it into my PS2. I should probably get around to that.

I hear they're remaking an HD version of Final Fantasy VII sooner or later. Not really sure how into that I am, since it seemed almost like a sequel than a remake and most of their sequel-y/prequel-y stuff hasn't impressed me. I'd prefer the original's story and gameplay, with a few tweaks and additions to its materia system, a couple more items/equipment, and a handful of extra dungeons (optional or otherwise), plus some different breeds of Chocobos for flying and going underwater.

Oreo

FF VII is supposed to be a remake, not a sequel.

The only Phantasy Star game I ever played was Universe. I enjoyed that one.

I agree though, getting hold of some of the older games can be quite a quest on its own. I know I spent over $200 getting my hands on Suikoden 1 and 2 as a Christmas gift for Mr Oreo two years ago.

I would love to get the Hack G.U. series, but they are zooming out of my price range.

Inkidu

Yeah the sad thing is no game ever created has entered the public domain yet, at least nothing from the Post Crash. Makes it incredibly difficult to put games up on some kind of digital platform.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: Oreo on December 02, 2015, 08:34:40 AM
FF VII is supposed to be a remake, not a sequel.

The only Phantasy Star game I ever played was Universe. I enjoyed that one.

I agree though, getting hold of some of the older games can be quite a quest on its own. I know I spent over $200 getting my hands on Suikoden 1 and 2 as a Christmas gift for Mr Oreo two years ago.

I would love to get the Hack G.U. series, but they are zooming out of my price range.

Then those screenshots I saw were either fake or incredibly misleading.

I tried some of the .Hack games, couldn't get into it long-term, the levels were either way too hard or way too easy. Plus combat being non-turn based made it difficult, especially when enemies could heal themselves instantly over and over and over.

Cyrano Johnson

RPG's: I've been playing and enjoying the Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun titles. Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong are my kind of RPG adventures in particular (very writerly, lots of character development and depth to the setting), even though Dragonfall's a bit "Robin Hood in the hood" for my tastes. Unfortunately HBS' "easy to use" level editor is something of a disappointment.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on December 02, 2015, 08:49:44 AM
Yeah the sad thing is no game ever created has entered the public domain yet, at least nothing from the Post Crash. Makes it incredibly difficult to put games up on some kind of digital platform.

Not even Pong? Or are you referring to just RPGs/JRPGs? And what's this Post Crash you speak of?

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on December 03, 2015, 07:53:28 AM
Not even Pong? Or are you referring to just RPGs/JRPGs? And what's this Post Crash you speak of?
Probably not because of Disney. Disney had legislation passed that upped the public domain cap from 56 years by a couple of decades. No work enters the public domain now until 70 years after the author's death, and like some insane number for corporations.

So if video games have been around since let's say 1970, no game has entered the public domain meaning they're either owned or orphaned.

The Great Video Game Crash of 1983.