Interest check for Commonlands (fantasy group game) [VAN]

Started by lollipop, September 16, 2009, 05:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lollipop

I've always been a fan of fantasy, especially elves and the like. From Tolkien to the stories of D&D ... I've loved them all. The Commonlands is a game that sort of encompasses all the ideas of the fantasy stories I've encountered over the years. I do have plots and more designs (including maps) for this idea, I just wanted to check interest in it first.

Let me know what you think and I'll be glad to answer any questions.

There is a world where magic still exists. A place where elves, fairies, and nymphs live amongst mortals. This a world unlike any other, but just the same in many ways ... this world is divided by different races and different terrain.

To the north, a mountainous region it’s outer edges covered in thick forests draped in snow. The great river finds it’s beginnings here, splitting the mountains and running south, carrying the cold icy water to the valleys and lands below. It’s inner core is a rich, fertile land. Three houses of the first born rule over and protect this land:

Baequi'athem ... the dragon people, as they are commonly called. It has been whispered through history that this family were once caretakers to the ancient dragon beasts that terrorized the world. They were blessed by these beast (the house name meaning, blessed by the dragons) and given an ancient form of wild magic.

Heasinddare; the mountain dwelling elves. Those of this house live their lives above those of all others, at the very tops of the mountains. Very little is known about this house, exception being that they seem to see all from their perches and that the skill of their warriors is rarely bested.

Kille’aear are the most common known of the three northern houses. These pleasant peoples spread out amongst the river. They are farmers, weavers, and great scouts. Their open hearts make them the some of the greatest diplomats of the world.    

To the east, a great lush forest that is occasionally burst open by wide and wonderful clearings. The great river, finds it’s way through this land as well, on it’s southern tip and flows far and to it’s apparent end, though no one has every found that end, or if they have they have never returned from their journey. Three houses of the first born, rule this land as well:

Dryear’eplith; the wood elves of myth. This house finds it’d beginnings deap within the great forests. Known for their un trusting natures and ranger capabilities. Their history, begins with the forest itself. It is said, that they were the creators of the dryad, to ensure the health of the forest itself.

Melithtylar; the only true matriarchal house of the first born. Around the allied realms this house is best known for the magic the resides in their abilities as healers. None are greater.

Myrthraheal; little is known of these ancient beings. They are the first of the firstborn. Even older that Baequi’anthem and the ones who gave the very houses themselves their names. They are the most noble and the most honored. The magic is great, but kept very secret. It is said that their house leader is the oldest being alive.

To the west is the realm of mortals. Human lives being so short, their history changes itself so quickly the first born can barely keep up. Though their wars and constant trials often worry the Guild of Elders. Currently, the mortal world is ruled by two separate and constantly warring monarchies.

To the south is the Wastelands. It is said that this barren, dark land was once lush and fertile until the dragons came. It is said that the dragons took a disliking to the houses of the south and destroyed their lands. Now, only charred rock and long extinguished volcanoes can be found. Inhabitants live in vast caverns beneath the land where it is said they went to escape the dragons themselves. At one time, their were three ruling families, but it is said one turned against the other two and destroyed, banished, or enslaved them. This evil family of Drow (dark skinned elves) now rule over the entire land. The house name of this family is Aleanndar. 

And in the middle, Tto the south of the Northern Mountains, to the east of the Mortal west, to the north of the Wastelands, and West of the Great forest of the East is the Commonlands. The Commanlands is a prosperous valley surrounded by the Great River to it’s west and south, and the mountains and forest to it’s east and north. This is a place of great magic and serenity ruled by representatives from all ruling Houses (both mortal and immortal), a place where wars are put aside and peace is made. It is here, that our story begins

Haibane

Hiya ^_^

Would you be GMing a system or freeform game?

I know you might not want to give too much away of your storyline but can you say what the basic premise is?

Thanks.

lollipop

Quote from: Haibane on September 16, 2009, 07:28:34 PM
Hiya ^_^

Would you be GMing a system or freeform game?

I'm still thinking on that, though I'm leaning more toward Gming ... just to make sure the basic plot stays on track. We all know how things can get carried away (even though, carried away is fun most of the time). But, I don't want to take away individuality.

Quote from: Haibane on September 16, 2009, 07:28:34 PM
I know you might not want to give too much away of your storyline but can you say what the basic premise is?

Thanks.

The details in all of it, I'm still working on ... I wanted to see if there was an interest before hand.

The basic premise, however, will be the Commonlands itself and the goings on with the people (mortals/immortals) there. This is what kinda throws me with GMing the game, as I don't want to take away too much individuality. However, I've got several ideas I'm working on for things that will happen that will eventually effect each PC and GMing is the only way I can think of to make sure the stories move along.

Tomorrow or Saturday, I'll have more plot and story ideas written out and I'll post them. I apologize for my rambling, as I'm still figuring this all out in my head. I can see the world, taste it, hear it, smell it ... but I'm still trying to put all those ideas down.

lollipop

Rough Plot Synopsis (more to come later)

Our story will be set in the Commonlands. As mentioned, the Commonlands are a place where all people are welcomed, though governed by a Council made up of representatives of each realm. Under ideal circumstances, this council included a representative of the Wastelands. In recent times under Aleanndar rule such is not the case.

As is concerns our story, the Council has convened in  tal en hini (city of children), troubled by visions of a seer and the very curious actions of the Aleanndar. Around their gathering, the city brew and bubbles with life, oozing out of every possible direction oblivious of any signs of trouble. A stranger will come to tal en hini, a stranger of which most have never seen. The stranger is not Drow nor Elvish ... but both. This stranger will bring very disturbing news of the south. News to change the Commonlands forever.

Kate

I love it !

Can we do d+d system gaming either pathfinder or one that has good online references for it ?
If so can you tell allowed classes, starting levels and starting gold or items perhaps ?

lollipop

Quote from: Kate on September 16, 2009, 11:29:24 PM
I love it !

Can we do d+d system gaming either pathfinder or one that has good online references for it ?
If so can you tell allowed classes, starting levels and starting gold or items perhaps ?

Having never played the games ... I'd have to look into it, see if it fits my vision.

Haibane

Thanks for your replies. I may be interested if you plan a freeform game but would not be interested in a system game.

shadowspale

Kate