What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Does this mean I get my "One Free Sabby behind the barn" coupon?

Sabby

Nope :3

I has idea for Arkham 3. Basically, someone said multiplayer would never work in an Arkham game, so my brain said "Fuck that guy!"

So, a game about strategically handling large groups of enemies... how we guna do this, put two characters in a room and have them fight, completely disregarding the entire system the gameplay was built on? Hell no.

Okay, here's the set up. Two teams. Heros and Villains. They can be any agreed upon size of 1 to 4. 1 Hero vs 4 villains? 2 on 2? Whatever. You choose signature characters, like Batman, Robin and Nightwing hunting Scarecrow and Bane, or you have your custom made hero/villain with their own skills, moves and gadgets. The teams can see where their own members are, but not the enemies.

They all spawn in Gotham, which is a sandbox, and has multiple possible objectives spread throughout. The heroes first job is to spread out and co-ordinate their search, where the villains need to remain in hiding and formulate their crime spree. However, the villains are in a tenuous alliance. Friendly fire is always on. How does this all play out?

Okay, think about it. Say the pairing is Batman/Nightwing/Batgirl facing Bane and Scarecrow. Scarecrow has no chance. They'd pummel him in no time. He has plenty of skills that help him escape however, where as Bane isn't easy to miss. So say they agree upon hitting the bank. The first part of the match, the heroes hunting, is Scarecrow sneaking fear gas bombs into some public places, purposefully scattered around. If he gets cornered, he can threaten to detonate them, or do so at a good type to force the heroes to split up on rescue missions. He could send Bane to distract them while he cracks the bank. If Bane needs to get away, pull the old 'hurl a bus full of kids through traffic and leg it' routine.

I realize it's a bare bones idea so far, and needs a lot of work, but it would play like a class based, team/objective game, just with an incentive for both working together and also betrayal. You need to remain useful, so you don't get backstabbed, but only until you can find a way to steal all the goods for yourself. Plenty of matches could boil down to the villains taking themselves out once a job goes bad and the good guys only scattering them.

A reputation system would work for that. Custom Heroes/Villains would be rated for reliability, personality, efficiency. A Villain group with a renowned weasel would immediately have chemistry, as they KNOW he's flaky. At the same time, a Hero player who tends to run right to the first disturbance and doesn't usually save the civilians is going to be rated as a hot head, meaning the team should actually just point him at something and say kill, instead of shouting orders at a player whose not a good team player.

I guess this is just trying to add some, ya know... silver linings to the assholian nature of online games. If players are going to be dicks, might as well add some kind of dynamic around it.

Hemingway

I just watched the Crysis 3 trailer, and I thought, hey, that doesn't look too bad. Crysis 2 was a pretty radical departure from Crysis, which disappointed me initially. But now that I have an idea of what to expect, it's looking good. Great, I thought.

Then I scrolled down to the comments section, and ... Why are gamers such belligerent assholes? Hyperbole as a concept doesn't exist anymore in gaming discussion, because literally everything that's being said is hyperbole. Worst game ever! This is not stealth! The graphics suck! I bet there's some guy out there right now delcaring that Sleeping Dogs is the worst game ever because there aren't many guns in the game and for the most part you rely on your fists.

This is why I don't pay any attention to games that are being developed, beyond just paying attention to the release date. The insane rantings of people who think that anything that doesn't meet their infinitely high standards is the worst thing ever, is just something I don't need. It's like politics, and everyone's Rush Limbaugh. That's why, for instance, even though I'm a huge fan of Metal Gear Solid, and there's just been an announcement, I don't go join the discussions and speculation.

Edit: Holy crap. I'd forgotten how much harder KotOR was than KotOR2.

In KotOR2, a typical fight goes something like this: I one-shot every enemy with my superior Power Attacks, and if I've taken any damage, I use the Force to heal a few times.

In KotOR, at this stage ( having just become a Jedi, still on Dantooine ) a typical fight goes like this: I attack, and kill regular enemies fairly easily, while stronger enemies give me trouble - to say nothing of boss-type enemies. Typically, Mission goes down once every fight because I can't spare the medpacks to heal her.

Edit 2: Hmm. KotOR and really most Bioware games. And probably a lot of non-Bioware RPGs. They all have this problem: You have the choice to be good, or bad. And often they try to present it as something else - like in KotOR ( especially in The Sith Lords ) where the Sith aren't necessarily "evil", but rather guided by selfishness rather than altruism ... But even so, the "good" choices are usually just the logical ones. And the evil choices are often evil to the point where they're just ridiculous. I mean, the Sith are explicitly all about not doing anything that weakens yourself and strengthens others. Why, then, do so many of the "Sith" choices involve pointless violence that doesn't get you anything. Hell, often it takes more effort to be evil than to be good. Which is the opposite of, well, the point of the Light and Dark sides of the Force. What the hell!

As far as I'm concerned, the only games to ever pull this off are ones where your alignment isn't tracked, and where there are only actions or consequences ( Bioware games are special because by acting good in some cases and evil in others you weaken yourself ), and ... Mass Effect. The game we don't talk about anymore. But in that game they actually managed to make the Renegade choices ... make sense.

Wolfy

Say what you will about Gearbox and Borderlands...but to me, they are one of the greatest game companies.

Why?

Claptrap Eulogy for Michael John Mamaril

Also, they made good on their word, because in Borderlands 2, this person has been immortalized as an NPC in the game. o3o

:3

SinXAzgard21

Gearbox rules.

I'm picking that game up tonight it is gonna be awesome.

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Wolfy

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on September 17, 2012, 02:32:55 PM
Gearbox rules.

I'm picking that game up tonight it is gonna be awesome.

So am I. :3

Xbox or PS3?

Inkidu

Gearbox is one of the companies I will no longer buy from. I was overwhelmingly disappointed in Borderlands. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Woo, another person who was disappointed with Borderlands! I agree, totally. It takes more than that to make me declare I'll never buy from them again, but then, the only other game I know is by Gearbox is that Half-Life expansion, Opposing Force. Which was awesome.

Geeklet

Quote from: Hemingway on September 17, 2012, 06:40:47 PM
Woo, another person who was disappointed with Borderlands! I agree, totally. It takes more than that to make me declare I'll never buy from them again, but then, the only other game I know is by Gearbox is that Half-Life expansion, Opposing Force. Which was awesome.

Duke Nukem Forever. >.>

Wolfy

Quote from: Geeklet on September 17, 2012, 06:45:29 PM
Duke Nukem Forever. >.>

Oh please.

That game wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

>_>

Oniya

But was it worth - what - fifteen years of waiting for?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on September 17, 2012, 06:45:29 PM
Duke Nukem Forever. >.>

Oh, they also made Brothers in Arms. Brothers in Arms was awesome. I only played Hell's Highway, though.

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Wolfy on September 17, 2012, 04:13:56 PM
So am I. :3

Xbox or PS3?

I am getting the PC version but it is the bad ass edition.  There are over 200 pre orders for the game, I'm one of five with the weapons crate.

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on September 17, 2012, 07:58:48 PM
But was it worth - what - fifteen years of waiting for?

Is anything?

I think people were too hard on Duke Nukem Forever, to be honest.

It's really not that bad of a game, especially if you appreciate old-style FPS games.

Sabby

I'm already about level 12. I won't spoil much, but I know a lot of people loved the Siren, so I'll just warn you that you may not like the changes. Her Phasewalk ability has been replaces with a sort of TK. So far, all it does is lift people out of cover, but I've peeked at the skill tree, and I know it evolves a lot more then that eventually.

The actual Phasewalking kind of deal seems to be Zero's thing now, so if you really liked the Siren, then I hope you also like sniper rifles.

Some of these guns are fucking gorgeous! Right now, I'm packing a shotgun which basically launches 6 straight travelling grenades, a fire SMG, with a very fast fire rate, but kinda wonky accuracy (made up for by it's holographic scope and the curved blade on it), and my favourite so far... ya know the Needle Rifle in Halo? That sleek purple sniper rifle? Think that, with a big screen scope, and a serrated bayonet the size of your arm.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on September 18, 2012, 12:58:25 PM
I'm already about level 12. I won't spoil much, but I know a lot of people loved the Siren, so I'll just warn you that you may not like the changes. Her Phasewalk ability has been replaces with a sort of TK. So far, all it does is lift people out of cover, but I've peeked at the skill tree, and I know it evolves a lot more then that eventually.

The actual Phasewalking kind of deal seems to be Zero's thing now, so if you really liked the Siren, then I hope you also like sniper rifles.

Some of these guns are fucking gorgeous! Right now, I'm packing a shotgun which basically launches 6 straight travelling grenades, a fire SMG, with a very fast fire rate, but kinda wonky accuracy (made up for by it's holographic scope and the curved blade on it), and my favourite so far... ya know the Needle Rifle in Halo? That sleek purple sniper rifle? Think that, with a big screen scope, and a serrated bayonet the size of your arm.

:3 oh you.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Anybody in here on that Tekken Tag Tournament hype? No? Okay, just me then.

Wolfy

I have aquired, in borderlands 2, what can only be described as a Rocket-Assault Rifle.

It uses assault Rifle ammo, but it fires out rockets.

it also eats 4 ammo per shot, and has a Magazine size of 21.

...@_@ Awesome, But Impractical indeed.

Sabby

Yeah, use it for bosses.

I haven't found that many worth while shotguns so far, but that's just the roll of the dice for ya.

Inkidu

You keep your Diablo with Guns 2, in 20 days 14 hours 1 minute and 38 seconds I'll have XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on September 18, 2012, 05:50:13 PM
Yeah, use it for bosses.

I haven't found that many worth while shotguns so far, but that's just the roll of the dice for ya.

almost all the shotguns I've found so far do the same thing that yours does...fires out exploding shells in a random pattern. xD

Up close, those mother-slaggers hurt, but whoooo boy...get out of the five foot range of them, and it's all wild.

Brandon

I am not playing borderlands 2. I think Im one of the few who arent but what I have been doing is trying to get into the PVP side of dark souls more and I think Ive come across a rare but extremely fun build that works for me. See there are only 3 fist weapons in the game. The cestus, the claws, and the dragon bone fist. The DBF was something I made out of curiousity and its strong attack is like a Dragon punch. The brutal part is the riposte where after I parry at attack my character slugs the person in the gut/crotch then follows it up with a full on slam against the face knocking them down on their back. The move set just felt brutal and amazing. So I was intriuged and I used it on several bosses and lesser monsters. Turns out I really like how it works even though it lacks range.

To combat the range side I took sorcery as a back up and have been using a lot of homing soulmass and soulspear magic to help combat the DBF's close range. Having Crystal magic weapon also makes the DBF all that much more awesome.

The reason why this setup is working so well for me is around 80% of the weapons I run across are ultra greatswords or katana's. Since these weapons behave in very similar patterns and they have longer ranges Ive become accustomed to timing dodges perfectly before I close in with the DBF for a few quick strikes. The other thing is parrying them is easier because theyre longer range melee weapons so it opens them up for full on ripostes if were on similar footing. There's also the strong attack which Ive found is a perfect bait for opponents, they'll almost always close in for the kill only to get launched into the air

Combining all that with the ninja flips from the darkwood grain ring, and the thorn armor set (minus the helm because I cant spare the weight) Ive made a close combat monster with lethal long range capabilities. Trouble is because I lack a lot of range while on the move people who are camping in a 3v1 situation are incredibly hard to take on. When I get into those situations I head for the nearby black knights and Ive been pretty successful fighting on the cliffs and parrying or backstabbing some guy right off the edge while theyre fighting the knights.

Normally I hate using those tactics though. Im the kind of Darkwraith that fights honorably. I dont participate in group fights with other darkwraiths unless its even numbers, I dont heal during fights, and I dont backstab fish but when the rules of civility are broken Ill do whatever it takes to win.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oniya

Argh!  Started playing the LambdaRogue game in the Free PC games thread.  Went through the first 'dungeon' floor and got all the quests done - even killed the bandit that murdered my friend.

I got taken out on the second floor by a Lonely Librarian.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

SinXAzgard21

Enjoying my pc edition of Borderlands 2, just got to Tiny Tina and she pretty much made the game for me.