News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

A Tribute to Heath Ledger

Started by Lancis, January 24, 2008, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lancis

I am surprised I dont already see this here...

Hats off Heath, you were a good actor, may good give you a good part. :)

dead at 28 what a shame
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

Archangel

I agree, the world lost another good one, at a far too young of an age.

i remember him in the short lived TV series "Roar"... I love that show.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you...

Cherri Tart

Brokeback mountian - he was beautiful - when my g/f told me the news i was speechless - i still don't understand why he's gone... *cries*
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Serenity Vixen

Was a shock to me as well
I loved "A Knight's Tale"
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

kongming

Yeah, "A Knight's Tale" is where I remember him from the most, along with "Ten Things I Hate About You". I'll admit he had a really nice smile, it seemed really sincere.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Trieste

I was talking to my mom about this yesterday. They said on the news that they would be going through the new Batman movie for anything that could be 'insensitive'. I turned to my mother and was like "God, I hope they don't rip up the last movie he made because he died." and she answered "Yeah, that'd be a shame. I can't see any family wanting to do that but you never know."

A little less sexy in the world makes me sad. :(

Spookie Monster

I'm afraid that I've never been too familiar with Heath Ledger or his work.  I mean, I vaguely understood that he was in A Knight's Tale and Monster's Ball and Brokeback Mountain, but as I didn't have any connection to those films, I didn't have any connection to him.  I did know that my sister rather liked him in Roar, that Terry Gilliam liked him, and that he's the Joker in The Dark Knight.  I did have a favorable impression of him, therefore, because for me my sister's word is gold, Gilliam's a genius, and the Joker's an engaging villain.  Still, my favorable impression was based on loose, secondhand sources.

Now that Ledger has died, however, I'm getting a feeling for the positive impact that he had on people's lives.  I'm not getting it by reading his biography or watching his movies, though.  I'm getting it simply by watching the faces and listening to the voices of the people who did know him and who are familiar with his work.  When these people say, "This is a tragedy," they're not just saying, "This is a tragedy for him and for his family"; they're saying, "This is a tragedy for me and for all of us."

I'm better with cookies than with words.  Instead of embarrassing myself further, therefore, I'm going to draw from a classic:

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

R.I.P., Ledger.

Spel

By the way, Lancis, it's good to see you again!
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Elvi

He was a young and budding actor, who knows, he may have been another 'great' hell knows we could do with some.

However....
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=4183635&page=1

Sometimes people really make me sick and that's all I'll say on the matter because this is niether the time, nor the place for the ammount of anger and disgust I hold for people like this....
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Trieste

The WBC exists to piss people off. They are the shock jocks of the Christian world. They ar ridiculous, a laughingstock.

They do not deserve your rage; I think Mr. Ledger himself would have laughed it off as ridiculous. Who knows, he still may be doing so. So there you have it, if you want it.

Elvi

Laughing stock maybe, but to do something such as this (and what they have done) is, as I have said beyond disgust.

The people who are being burried are beyond caring, it's those who cared for them that I show concern for.

kongming

I know, it's completely disgusting what they are doing. It's a bit easier if people just think of them as "real life" trolls, and take the usual anti-troll methods (ignore, grade them on trolling technique, refer them to 4chan, imitate them at every moment in strange methods), but they are still interfering with something that is emotional for a lot of people, and I can't really think of a proper word for how they're acting.

Childish does come to mind, though, other than the fact that most children would show more sensitivity.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

HairyHeretic

Contemptable is a fairly apt description of their behaviour.

I feel certain there's a fairly nasty spot in the afterlife being prepared for them as we speak.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elvi

There was one thing that I found in that report that I did find ironicly funny.
It really makes me wonder how these people's minds work.

He, [George Amado, the general manager of New York City's Frank E. Campbell funeral home], refused to elaborate further, saying, "The family doesn't want us to give out any information."

"They are going to try and hide the body like a bunch of ghouls so we can't protest. The only thing in this country people worship more than filthy sex acts is the dead," Phelps-Roper [daughter of the church's controversial founder Pastor Fred Phelps], said.

kongming

Quote from: Elvi on January 24, 2008, 07:55:38 PM
"They are going to try and hide the body like a bunch of ghouls

Since when did ghouls sneak into graveyards to hide bodies rather than steal/eat them? And these are the clerics, they know all about undead!

QuoteThe only thing in this country people worship more than filthy sex acts is the dead,"

I agree. Let us stop worshipping the dead. If anyone has died, we must not offer them worship or pray to them or anything. Sorry, Jesus, you're out of here.

*facepalm*

Ons/Offs:

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Elvi on January 24, 2008, 06:08:26 PM
He was a young and budding actor, who knows, he may have been another 'great' hell knows we could do with some.

However....
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=4183635&page=1

Sometimes people really make me sick and that's all I'll say on the matter because this is niether the time, nor the place for the ammount of anger and disgust I hold for people like this....

i refuse to let the anger that people like this get the best of me.  they don't deserve my notice - they are worse then cockroaches.  I do think that they deserve a special place in hell. Heath Ledger was a beautiful sweet person and nothing they can do will change that.  My only hope is that karma takes it's toll on these...  less then people.  that's the last thing i'm going to say on the subject - instead, i'm going to focus all my thoughts on thinking good thoughts for his family, those he's touched, those who loved him.  Only small people full of nothing but hate would ever stoop to this level.  i pity them.

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Sabby

I really, really enjoyed A Knights Tale. I never really know the actors names, so I had no idea that that guy was Heath Ledger until after it was mentioned here. Now that I think about it, he seemed so genuine. What a brilliant actor, and I could see him being a nice guy in person :)

So early in life... "Now reaper can enjoy his show"

And on those inbredded, brainwashed hicks... seriously, I support the whole 'believe what you will' ideal, but these guys can honestly just go get run over by bus's any time they're ready. If I saw Phelps rolling around on fire, I wouldn't even urinate on him to save him.

Though, I did get a giggle when he announced Australia as The Country of Sodomy. Dude... we originated from convicts >.>

Caeli

I first saw him in "The Patriot", and then in "Ten Things I Hate About You". I fell in love with his smile - I agree, it always seems so genuine for each character, and he just has that wonderful charm that always makes me sigh and stare at the TV while I hug my body pillow. <3

And with all those people who are going to "picket his funeral"... seriously. It's just ridiculous. There are no words to describe the stupidity of people who believe that that (or picketing funerals of military men and women who died in Iraq) is actually going to do anything but raise disgust and ire towards them.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

kongming

Quote from: Sabbat on January 25, 2008, 09:38:52 AM
Though, I did get a giggle when he announced Australia as The Country of Sodomy. Dude... we originated from convicts >.>

Except for South Australians. We're pretty much the non-convict state. I like to think of myself as a noblewoman who missed out just due to place of birth.

Anyway, god apparently hates America (there's a website by that very name), Canada and Sweden. So now Australia. So, let us assume these crack-addicts are actually his PR department and they seriously have any idea what the big G thinks, then who doesn't he hate, so far? Slowly but surely, they're building the list up.

Ons/Offs:

Cherri Tart

10 things i hate about you was just on tv too... oh, he was the best part of the whole movie, too.  Those eyes... *dreamy sigh* 

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Lancis

Heath played a gay man, as an actor, and was in no way gay himself...

that group is wasting their time, in my home state, picketers have been barred from Military funerals the govenor ruled that funerals "were private and not public events." Since the ruling this group has only been rarely seen here... anyway..

Sorry Heath god rest ya.

Also on IMDB the Dark Knight movie is listed as "Post Production" making me guess that we will see it with Heath as the Joker, likely with a dedication to heath in the Credits.. and for now on the official page Warner Brothers has done this

http://thedarkknight.warnerbros.com/HeathMemorial.html

One would wonder what will happen to the movie that he was in production for The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus...

I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

MadPanda

So long, Heath.
My deepest sympathies to the Ledger family for their loss.

(observe moment of respectful silence for the departed)

As for the WBC, I will say only two things.

First, while it is understood that these people are nothing more than attention whores who glory in the fury and anger they spark in others with their insensitive grandstanding...it galls any decent person to see such attitudes thrown about, and silence may be read as consent and agreement rather than a mature attempt to handle a cheap bully.  Therefore although to comment is to give them what they want, one often feels compelled to express outrage at their juvenile antics. 

(And to any Canadians in the audience, we US citizens are really, really sorry this guy burned your flag on the steps of your Supreme Court simply because you decided that gays are human beings.  If he tries to enter your country again, kindly stamp him 'return to sender' and ship him back.)

Second, it was once said that those the gods wished to destroy, they first drove mad.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Vekseid

*removes a post*

No one here likes the WBC, however, they make money through litigation and threads are bad. Thank you.

Keiro

....SAYWHAT?!

LOL...I can only laugh at the idiocy of the WBC.

>_> Seriously, movies like this are made for entertainment, NOT to show the actors portrayed in them as their preferences.

I remember there was a DVD that came with Brokeback Mountain that talked about Heath having a hard time doing the movie.

Heath, sorry to see you pass before your time...I didn't recognize you till I saw the story in Yahoo! News.

We can only wonder what happens and continue on as best as we can after losing such a great actor...and yes, he would've been a great actor. Anyone can see that.
Thoughts of a Deaf SysAdmin

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to...

Want to see my O/Os? Check My Roleplay Preferences. :3

Sabby

I don't think they are all up and arms because Heath is gay (he's not, it was a role in a movie) their all nutting out because "He is glorifying a disgusting, sinful lifestyle and your all making him a hero for it"

I only just now found out the Joker is Heath. He plays an amazing crazy man :)

HairyHeretic

Quote from: kongming on January 25, 2008, 10:08:10 AM
Anyway, god apparently hates America (there's a website by that very name), Canada and Sweden. So now Australia.

Ireland too apparently.

The picture they have on the page uses the heads from the Notre Dame team icon/mascot, and the Lucky Charms leprecaun. For a group so fond of lawsuits, I wonder how they'd react to one against them for copyright infringement of some kind?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.