[Interest Check] Character-Driven Kingdom/City Building (D&D/Pathfinder)

Started by Catastrophy, May 18, 2012, 08:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Alright, Im not going to do that character then. I just dont see it working without that personal connection. I'll consider another character. Though I would like to know where you stand on non-core classes for pathfinder such as the alchemist or magus
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

grovercjuk

Hmm this game is getting more interesting, so here is my additional thoughts.

1/. I understand the way our GM intends to play it but is there any need for us the players to have a mechanical section? After all if we write for example. 

As the snarling Goblins charged Katrina took careful aim at one that seemed to be hanging back and making gestures with his hands. She released the arrow and as it sped away hoped that it would hit and hit before the gestures where completed.

To which the GM could reply that the arrow sped past to clatter off the wall or that the Goblin screamed as the arrow sank deep into his body, the magic he was creating dissipating as his concentration went. Thus all the mechanical aspects are dealt with outside the game leaving us with the novel effect.

In one RP I played the GM did not tell us what HP we had suffered merely commenting that the arrow left a shallow gaze, in effect 1 HP. Or that you felt a severe pain as the sword bit deep into you leaving you feeling badly damaged, max damage to you.

2/. Do you wish us to send you a character concept by PM or post in the thread? I take it that you only want two paragraphs.

3/.  Magic items are more fun when they are in effect one shot. Yes I have a wand of fireballs but do I use it now on this band of Orcs or save it in case we met something even more nasty. Rather than it has 20 charges and I am walking artillery.

4/. As for the reasons for going that will no doubt be varied for each character and thus probably better to do it in character at the jumping off point.

Catastrophy

@Brandon

Any splatbook material, pathfinder or otherwise needs to be brought by me.. generally though i'd prefer if you made your character then used to rules to represent him.

Rather than use the rules.. then try to make the character to fit them.

@Grover

1: That leaves me with creating the mechanics for your character and rolling everything behind the scenes in secret, and arguments over what your character is able to do or not could probably arise too.

Or we're back to me arbitrarily deciding when and where you die.

Neither really work in my opinion.

2: If you already have an idea, please feel free to PM me if you want some feedback. I said that a character concept should should take up about one or two paragraphs.

I've begun working on the region, and so far it includes a magical forest, centaur plagued plains and... things i can't tell you about! <Imagine diabolical expression followed by an even more unnerving laughter here!>

If anyone's interested heres a:
Preview

Brandon

How I write characters I first start with a simple concept. That usually tells me what class I want to play since a fireball slinging spellcaster will be wizard or sorcerer and a grizzled shield warrior will probably be a fighter. I then choose the race, dependant on the local area's social structure and how I want them to be percieved in it. From there I figure out a personality to play with, and then a background to know where they came from and how they became what they are

That all said, Im interested in playing a magus more because its a class I havnt yet had the chance to play myself and I would like to include it in my games. However I need to playtest it first. You can find the class here. The site also has all the information regarding the alchemist, cavilier, inquisitor, oracle, summoner, and witch classes in case you need them
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Catastrophy

Quote from: Brandon on May 21, 2012, 06:07:00 AMThat all said, Im interested in playing a magus more because its a class I havnt yet had the chance to play myself and I would like to include it in my games. However I need to playtest it first. You can find the class here. The site also has all the information regarding the alchemist, cavilier, inquisitor, oracle, summoner, and witch classes in case you need them

I must admit i'm not particularly fond of the idea of you joining my game just to playtest a class.

I'm quite good at googling but thanks anyways :P

Also, i'm almost done writing up the Uncharted lands and the neighboring regions woo!

Kate

OK Cat, fair enough on your stance concerning battle resolution.

Can we all be ones that are keen to set up our own little provinces ? or did you want us to form bunches and have a few characters per province ?

Either way ... you have a character template ready (for core - concept approval before the mechanic-details are rolled / or point buy purchased / chosen / dictated / whatever ).

That may help things move, you certainly have a lot of interest.

Catastrophy

Quote from: Kate on May 22, 2012, 05:05:32 AMCan we all be ones that are keen to set up our own little provinces ? or did you want us to form bunches and have a few characters per province ?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean a few characters per province? Ahh wait now i do.

Unless i get some incredibly amazing and mutually incompatible (Two different kinds of characters, each driven and each with very different motives, ideals and goals) i'll be starting with just one group. Of course, what happens after that is very much dependent on what you, the players, do : )

Quote from: Kate on May 22, 2012, 05:05:32 AM
Either way ... you have a character template ready (for core - concept approval before the mechanic-details are rolled / or point buy purchased / chosen / dictated / whatever ).

That may help things move, you certainly have a lot of interest.

I have a character template ready? Is that a question or are you telling me you have a basic idea for a character? If thats the case feel free to PM me.

I'm actually working on a general guideline, on what i'd like to know from the players and so far its looking something like this:

Character Application

• Summary. Describe your character in 1-2 paragraphs. Ideally including any of his or her opes and dreams, motivations, fears or goals.

• Character Description. What does she look like? How does she dress? Does she have any distinguishing features?

• Background Story. What has happened thats turned her into who she is today? or made her the way she is?

• Ideas Why might she be involved with the unclaimed, or why might she end up out there?
  • Mechanics Finally a partial character sheet that should include race, class, ability scores, skill you're going to pick and feats.

Tydorei

grovercjuk

TheHangedOne

Alright, so here's mine, let me know if anything needs to be done. I am not including any Eidolon details, as I am going to let Senti decide those, since she will be playing as the Eidolon.

Summary:

A studious and bookish man who is prone to spending long stretches of time alone. Because of his strange connection with his Eidolon, he has always kept himself at arm's length from others, as he feels like his peculiar connection may make him the subject of discrimination.; all of that fear based on simple, but far-too-prevalent, childhood bullying. Ultimately, he is so afraid of rejection and being hurt, he just can't get over himself and let someone in close, save for his special companion.

He hopes that by volunteering to help shape this newly found land, he will be able to create an area where academic prowess will be valued and encouraged, and also where individuality and expression of the self will be encouraged, rather than something that can turn someone into the target of a bully.

Description:

Mid-length brown hair, and a long, scraggly beard to match, his wild hair seems to indicate a man that does not make a big deal about his appearance. He has gray-blue eyes, which tend to flitter around randomly, and constantly, always observing and surveying.

In warm weather, he prefers to wear simple, utilitarian, light traveling clothes. In cooler weather, he will usually don an archetypal robe, or heavy overcloak over the aforementioned clothes. In cold weather, he goes with fur trimmed boots, fur cloak, and  heavy clothing.

Background Story:
Being a half-elf raised in a predominantly human city was not easy on Leofwine. When his strange powers first started to appear, it made him even further alienated, from his human peers.  Yet, the few Elves in the city viewed him with disdain, as if he were some mongrel.

Atleast his parents gave a damn, and were good to him. Their only son, he received plenty of attention from them both, and a powerful home schooling from his father, the elf, who was a quite well-traveled sorceror.

Being bullied early on in his life led him to be something of a shut-in growing up, but it also gave him lots and lots of time to study and grow intellectually and spiritually.  Around the time he was 20, he took to honoring Tymora, though the Ilmatari also see donations coming from his coin purse.

Ideas:
Family connection: His father was a fairly formidable adventurer, and it's clear at first glance Leofwine will be following in his father's footsteps.

He also has very personal reasons for wanting to be involved as well; to vindicate himself.  He also strives to create an environment where, he feels, children like him can grow up without having to deal with the insults and abuse of others.

Mechanics:
Race: Half-elf
Class: Summoner

stats:
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 12
Constitution: 13
Intelligence: 16
Wisdom: 14 (+2 due to racial traits, bringing the total to 16)
Charisma: 10

Skills:
Use Magic Device, Spellcraft, Craft (Food),  Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: Geography,  Knowledge: Nature

Feats:
Skill Focus: Use Magic Device (Free from Racial Traits)
Fey heritage
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Marie Reynolds

I was hoping that their would still be room for people to join in. Are their any race/Alignment restrictions?