Free courses from universities?

Started by Apple of Eris, July 19, 2012, 06:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

Yeah, there are some. Not credit courses (what college is going to give those away free, right?) but there are some interesting looking ones. I signed up for World History!

https://www.coursera.org/
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Lilias

So tempted to sign up for Greco-Roman Mythology and ace it by default...
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Liayra

Considering that I have always been super terrible at maths and science in general.... should I go for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking? It's screaming at me "Come heeeereeee... I'm your laaaast chaaaance to understaaaand why 2+2=4"

Apple of Eris

Quote from: Liayra on July 20, 2012, 06:46:50 AM
Considering that I have always been super terrible at maths and science in general.... should I go for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking? It's screaming at me "Come heeeereeee... I'm your laaaast chaaaance to understaaaand why 2+2=4"

LOL

I was thinking the calculus course. I always sucked at that and it's only one variable calculus. That can't be THAT hard, right?
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Liayra

Teehee!

I just read the prerequisites of the Calculus course and... I'm not ashamed (at all!) to admit that I don't meet any of them. Oh well! I will check the non-math/science related ones!

Oniya

This one has been mentioned before (I think it's got some courses that are below college level as well, for those who need refreshers/foundations):

http://www.khanacademy.org/
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

SheepishRogue

Oh! These look kind of cool, maybe I'll give one a try... I would take:

-Money/Finance/Banking: I want to learn more about managing my money and student loans
-Programming: I eventually want to program utility/productivity apps as a hobby

Cool sites, thanks!  ;D

Quote from: Lilias on July 20, 2012, 02:55:47 AM
So tempted to sign up for Greco-Roman Mythology and ace it by default...

I wouldn't ace it, but it sounds so very interesting...
More about me!       Ons and Offs
Skype Available

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: Apple of Eris on July 19, 2012, 06:58:00 PM
Yeah, there are some. Not credit courses (what college is going to give those away free, right?) but there are some interesting looking ones. I signed up for World History!

https://www.coursera.org/
Ohh, very neat. Thanks for sharing ;D !
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Elandra

I could not resist the "Ibtroduction to Logic" course and am tempted by so many others.

Thanks for pointing this site out Apple.
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

Apple of Eris

No problem all! A freind shot me the link so I figured I should share the wealth as it were.

I was looking at the logic course myself actually, but we'll see, there's so many I want to try!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Elandra

I know, had to make sure not too many of them overlapped or I would be doomed. There is also "Introduction to Sustainability" that looked intriguing as well.
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

Trieste

I reaaaaally want to take the bioelectricity course, but it overlaps with 'real' school... I has a sad.

yasarra

edxonline, a Coursera-like site from MIT and Harvard will be available in the fall. 

edxonline.org

For those into computer programming, there's Udacity.

http://www.udacity.com/

They have also added Introduction to Physics and Introduction to Statistics to their course library.

And, Coursera is great.  They have classes from 16 different universities.

NataliaReno

You might want to check your local library as well. Where I live my library is hooked up to a place called Universal Classroom which has over 500 online courses. They're for general knowledge though you can't use them for college credit unfortunately. All you have to do is log in with you library card ID and that's it. Can take them ant time and you don't have to go to the library to do them.

minerva7790

Quote from: Liayra on July 20, 2012, 06:46:50 AM

That may be more philosophical than mathematical, so if you're better at humanities than maths, that course may be just right for you! ;)
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Liayra

Yeah, I actually did the course a few months ago, I found it a little too hard for me, no big surprise, but in the end I finished it so... yay!

minerva7790

Quote from: Liayra on October 29, 2012, 05:36:16 AM
Yeah, I actually did the course a few months ago, I found it a little too hard for me, no big surprise, but in the end I finished it so... yay!

Cool! I checked up on the same course and found that they started a new cycle a month ago. Still contemplating if it's too late to join and do some major catching up!
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Braioch

Joined a Genetics class that's already a week or so into it, catching up won't be too bad I suppose, plus fun.

As far as upcoming...Think Again: How to Reason and Argue - Nov 26th, 2012
Introduction to Philosophy - January 28th, 2013
Know Thyself - March 4th, 2013

Gaps galore there, but then again I was looking at ones that interested me rather than their schedules, I do have nothing but time lately.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]