Pathfinder - Another game for the newbs :P (looking for 1 replacement)

Started by Autocad, May 06, 2013, 06:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocad

Update 6.12: One of the players has left and freed up a slot. Posting rate should be able to respond to a post from the DM in 1-2 days.

This basically sums it up: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=173123.0

I know there's at least one person who wanted to join that one but it got full, and there're probably more people lurking out there. Having seen many games get way more applicants than slots available, including my own, I figure it can't hurt to run something for the people who see threads too late or get unfortunately passed over.

As to who this game is targeted towards, I'm going to quote hippyness here:
QuoteWho I'm looking for:
People interested in the Pathfinder (or really any table top but willing to play Pathfinder) who haven't had too much experience with the game. I'm not going to tell someone they are over qualified but if you don't think "beginner player" or "intermediate player" describes you then this game may not be for you. Level of play is a personal label, not something anyone else can tell you.

Besides beginners, I would also like to give priority to people who aren't involved in a d20 game otherwise (or maybe their game got really slow / is dying). So if you're already involved in a couple other games (you know who you are), I'd appreciate it if you would respectfully give others a chance.

Target number of players is 4-5, personally I'd rather run two games than a single game of 8-10 players especially in a play-by-post format.

So, interest? What adventure / module / path to run is up for discussion between us.

EvilBeast

I'm interested. I've played a lot of 3.5 but have yet to actually play a PF game.

I'm open to any of the adventure paths.

Roketto

Just dropping in to say, good on ya, GM!  It's really good to see games that are more geared toward helping folks into a system than for the usual cadre of veteran players.  I wish you the best of luck and hope that your applicants, and you, have a great time.

AndyZ

Tentatively interested but will want to look at things a bit more.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Yano2mch

I'm interested, been itching to play a PF/PnP game for a while but didn't consider to look here before now.

I've played 3.5 a bit, but not PF.

Autocad

Great to see interested people!

Are there any particular settings anyone craves. Like urban / jungle / ocean / dungeon-crawl etc.

EvilBeast

Jungle can be fun, but I'm up for any. I like dungeon crawling, but that can be really time consuming, unless the DM has a good handle on how to present it in a forum based game. (takes a lot of practice to get the pacing right!)

AndyZ

Not really sure. How many points and all such and what level were you thinking?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Autocad

Probably something standard, like level 1, 15 point buy, two traits, max HP for first hit die, etc.

Yano2mch

Hmm In a dungeon crawl it seems like gathering using another medium for a few hours would likely be helpful, where other non-combat roleplaying could be done on the forums. I am familiar with MapTools so that is an option, assuming most can get together for a one shot little adventure.

AndyZ

Latooni Subota

Ooh. I almost never get a chance to play a Pathfinder game, so I'm pretty interested. I don't have nearly as much experience with the system as I'd like, so this seems like a pretty good opportunity. Is this going to be a long-term thing? Or just a single adventure path? Any homebrew setting-stuff/adventures in the future?

Edit: I'm a big fan of 'classic' adventuring. Going from town to town doing odd-jobs, and chasing down rumors about treasure and other interesting things, with the occasional dungeon crawl thrown in.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Coyote

Pathfinder beginner here, been looking for a d20 play by post to build my skills a little bit, so if you have room for one more please count me in! So will you be generating the setting your self, or will we be going with a pre made adventure?

Hmm I think urban setting are usually more interesting to me than the wilderness, but I'm good with anything like I said I'm starting out and want to learn.
"Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less. A shadow on the wall. Yet shadows can kill. And ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow"

-Lord Varys, The Spider

Autocad

Hi and thanks for your interest!

Now as for what I'll be running, I'll be using one of the Pathfinder Modules / Adventure Paths. Which one is up to you guys and gals:

Adventure Paths
Council of Thieves: urban
Serpent's Skull: jungle
Jade Regent: far eastern themed. We can play this one seriously or go full weeaboo on this one.
Skull & Shackles: ahoy thar maties!

Modules
Hollow's Last Hope: pick up odd quests from town and trek into the wilderness
Into the Haunted Forest: haunted forest (duh)
Hangman's Noose: urban horror

If you have anything else you'd really want to play, do speak up. Or if none of these catch your fancy I can homebrew something (although I admit that it probably won't be as good as what the professionals who do this for a living come up with.)

Latooni Subota

I'd prefer an Adventure Path to a Module, and while none of the above are really what I've been looking for, Skull and Shackles seems the most interesting out of the lot. Who doesn't like adventure on the high seas, and exploring unknown islands?

Note, I generally play arcane classes, though I have a little experience with Alchemists. Summoner might be neat too.

Edit: 15 point buy? q.q . . . Any chance we can bump that up just a smidgeon?

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Yano2mch

I'll go with whatever; Depending on group size and requirements of the game I may end up either as a rogue, bard or sorcerer.

I have the advanced players guide, the summoner sounds interesting too (But the APG has no good spell list for them, so the SRD is needed to compensate that). When one is decided we'll figure it all out.

Kay Tana

I used to play a good deal of 3.5 a few years back, but kind of trailed off right before they introduced 4.0 due to the usual DM moving. I'd love to get back into playing and I've heard Pathfinder is similar.

Coyote

My first choice would be Council of thieves, second would be Skulls and Shackles. But I would be good with anything they all sound fun. Are there any rules/restrictions on characters we should know about? I'm thinking of going for a cleric.
"Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less. A shadow on the wall. Yet shadows can kill. And ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow"

-Lord Varys, The Spider

Kay Tana

Started looking at classes over at d20pfsrd.com and I'm really liking the inquisitor class. It's like a cleric's version of the sorcerer.

Autocad

Based on the feedback so far I think we're aiming towards one of the adventure paths. So, in the first (and possibly last) instance of democracy, please vote on which you would prefer:

Council of Thieves
Serpent's Skull
Carrion Crown
Jade Regent
Skull & Shackles
Shattered Star

You can find a brief description of them here: http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath

Coyote

-Lord Varys, The Spider

AndyZ

Shattered Star sounds kinda cool but I can go with anything that isn't too high society for a Barbarian. Council of Thieves fits that description.

Latooni Subota

Serpent's Skull! DEFINATELY SERPENT'S SKULL!

Kay Tana

I agree Serpent's Skull sounds really cool, but it also sounds like it would be a lot of GM work.

Yano2mch

Currently I'm Making this bard 2nd level for another campaign, but I don't see any reason I can't use him here too :P

Note, I used the 20point buy, however since it's a bard... I'll let you decide. He's going to be a very laid back character :P

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12240