Doctor Who, Lost Memories: The Great Unknown

Started by Villain, February 03, 2013, 10:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Villain

Dårlig Ulv Stranden was a miserable place. A beach in Norway that was damp, cold and seemed to make everyone who visited the place feel gloomy. The terrible weather painted the beach the shade of granite and made the ocean look even colder than it was. It was almost as if there were something invisible draining the color from the place, and with it, all the happiness.

Very few people visited the beach. Which was why the figure that lay on the sands had gone unnoticed for so long, but if anyone had seen him then they would wonder how on Earth he managed to remain asleep as the waves lightly washed over his legs.

The figure was tall and had dark brown hair that curled down the side of his head and temple. His face was handsome, if a little pointed with its sharp distinctive features that made him look intelligence but fierce. If anyone looked at him they would assume him to have a job with the police as a detective or possibly be part of the armed forces as a sergeant or corporal, both of which would be incorrect for the man was neither.

The figures mouth suddenly opened and a cloud of golden vapor whisked into the air. As the golden glow faded to nothing, the Doctor opened his eyes and gasped in pain.

He sat up with a jolt and glanced around at the beach in alarm. His piercing blue eyes stared uncomprehendingly at the water and sand, tryng to make sense of the scene and figure out what was going on and why everything didn't make any sense.

Something was terribly wrong. He couldn't see it, but he knew it. Something awful was happening and no matter how hard he tried he couldn't put it together.

The Doctor brushed grains of sand from his cheeks and wiped away the drops of rain that ran down the bridge of his nose. He tried to remember how he had gotten to the beach and why he was there, but he couldn't recall anything.

"It's all wrong..." the Doctor whispered before blinking in surprise and clutching his throat. He was surprised by the sound of his voice, he was sure that it hadn't always sounded that way, he wasn't sure how he knew that, but he was sure none the less. "This is all wrong," he said, his voice sounding more alarmed by the second. "I don't know why this is wrong, but its wrong."

He flinched in surprise as the loud electronic beep of a mobile suddenly rang through the beach. It took him a moment to realise that the noise came from the pocket of the black suit he was wearing. He reached into his pocket and found a mobile phone, that he did not recognise, blaring away, the small screen flashing with a number he did not know.

He answered the phone and pressed it to his ear, but he did not speak, he only listened.

"It's up to you now Doctor," A warm, cheeky voice that sounded oddly familiar spoke on the other end of the phone. "I'm leaving everything in your hands. It's all up to you," it continued, the voice sounded as if it belonged to an English man in his thirties, the tone of his voice was so familiar that it made the Doctor feel frustrated that he couldn't put a face to it.

"Who are you?" He asked, ignoring the shiver in his body as the cold finally seeped into his system.

"Someone you trust," The voice replied, the humor absent from his tone. "Follow the clues Doctor, we'll meet again one day... now, turn around."

xxbutterfiywings

Rose had been having a normal day which is something she had just gotten used too. After the Doctor had left her in a completely different time, her days hadn't been so...normal. First she had days where she locked herself in her room for days on end. The longest time she stayed in there was a week; she would've stayed longer if Mickey hadn't knocked down the door. Then she had days with crying spells but she was able to get out of bed and talk to her family and Mickey for a bit. And then slowly but surely she seemed to get better. She was able to smile again, laugh again even and then finally she started to get out some. And then get out a little more to go shopping and do fun things with her mom, dad and Mickey. Today, she had been able to walk around by herself in the neighborhood enjoying the wind as it brushed across her skin and then little bit of sunshine that started to peak through the clouds. Yes... she could get used to this life, one without the Doctor.

She nearly jumped when her cell phone rang in her pocket and she reached into the fabric of her jeans to look down at the screen. She raised a curious eyebrow, this wasn't a number that she knew. Who could it be then? She flipped open the cover and placed it to her here.

"Hello?" She asked hearing a bit of static and then an unknown voice.

"Rose Tyler, go to the beach. Someone is waiting for you there." The voice said and Rose shook her head.

"What?! Who is this? Whose waiting?" She asked hearing the click of the phone on the other end and then the beeping noise in her ear. She growled softly running a hand through her blonde locks. Who was playing a trick on her now?! But what if someone was actually waiting there? Was it the Doctor? After all this time... she darted into a run, thanking the heavens that she wasn't too far from the beach. She increased her pace as her heart sped up. If the Doctor was here, she wanted to get to him fast, run into his arms and just kiss him. Her blue eyes saw the beach coming into the sight and she ran across the street when there was time for her to pass.

Quickly she ran up the stairs to the sandy area, looking around frantically before her eyes landed on a body laying in the sand. "Doctor?!" She called out running as best as she could in the sinking sand but she slowed once she got closer. It wasn't the Doctor... not her Doctor anyway. But the person looked like a Doctor at least or so she thought.

"Doctor?" She said a little softer this time as she waited for the man to stand and look at her. Maybe he would remember her... just maybe.

Villain

The Doctor turned his head and his eyes landed on the blonde girl that rushed towards him. He sprung to his feet and jumped back, keeping distance between them as he observed her carefully. She didn't look like a danger, but something inside of him told him that he couldn't trst what he was seeing. Whether it was instinct or not, he didn't know.

As she drew nearer his eyes widened. The blonde hair, the shape of her face, the casual clothes and that smile...that wonderful smile. It was so familiar. It was painfully familiar. He couldn't place it, and a large part of him didn't want to, but he knew this girl - this amazing girl. She was important to him. Or perhaps important to someone he had been. Although he had no idea what that meant...

"You..." He said carefully as he studied her with growing fascination. His voice was deep, but smooth, like the type of voice that a blues singer might have. His finger pointed at her, dabbing at the air as he tried to place that face that had once meant so much. "We've met...I know we have...." he said in a whisper before taking a step towards her.

"You're...." he began and began to form the name with his lips. As he struggled to place her he began to tap at the sides of his temple with the tips of his fingers. Drumming them against his skull as if to speed up the process. "You're...you're...!"

The name sprung into his head, shocking him with all the force of a lightning bolt. Memories of a past life were flooding through his brain at a rapid speed.

Her name was Rose Tyler, she knew him when he had a different face - two different faces! It was a process called regeneration that saved him from dying but caused every cell of his body to transform. It was no doubt what he had gone through, but goodness knows how it had been caused, everything before he awoke was still a jumbled mess. Even though he could remember this girl - this incredible girl - he could only recall scraps of their adventures. There was still so much missing.

She was staring at him now. He needed to say something. Something that would sum up the confusion, but also tell the girl how important it was that he recognised her. There was a word he wanted to use...but it was lost.

"You're...you're...you're..." He repeated before the word finally came to him and a grin spread out over his face as he gazed at her. "You're Rose Tyler and you're brilliant"

He let out a laugh and punched the air in triumph before twirling on the spot, slipping over as he lost his balance and smashing into the sand again.

"Well...that victory was short lived," the Doctor muttered, spitting out grains of sand before looking up at Rose from the ground. "Can you help me up? I think my balance is still sorting itself out."

xxbutterfiywings

Rose watched as the new Doctor tried his best to put everything together and she couldn't help but try her best not to smile at how silly he looked. Saying a word and then stopping to think, and then saying the same word again and then stopping to think again. It made her think of the Doctor, her Doctor and it made her heart ache for the man she used to know. Why had she been called back to help this new Doctor? It made no sense considering she had no knowledge of what had went on for quite some time now. She narrowed her eyebrows trying her best to make sense of it all. But there really was no way to do so considering this Doctor didn't seem to know who she was or why she was here ever. If the Doctor was confused and lost, then she definitely wasn't going to be able to figure it out!

A smile came to her lips though when he finally was able to say her name and then call her brilliant. Oh that made her heart ache as well, her doctor used to tell her that all the time. But she had to play around with him as well.

"Why yes, I am Rose Tyler and I am bloody brilliant." She said with a wink and she laughed as he spun around and fell over. Oh dear, he was also quirky like her Doctor as well. She made her way over to him and held her hand out to him with a smile.

"You're the third Doctor i've seen after regernation. I think I know more about this process then you do!" She said playfully and helped him up out of the sand and she brushed off some of the sand that managed to find its way to the front of his clothes.

"So what happened to you this time Doctor? How'd you end up regenerating?" She asked curiously, her fingers stopping on his chest for just a moment before she'd quickly pull them away and take a deep breath. This was not going to happen again. No feelings, just guiding or helping or whatever he needed her for at this moment. Then that was it. No more adventures, no more nothing with the Doctor.

Villain

"I have no idea," the Doctor replied as she helped him to his feet. "I have absolutely no idea. My mind is a blank. In fact its more than that, its a big football stadium sized blank," he said before pausing. "No wait, it's a big city of blank inhabited by blank creatures who have all drawn a blank and elected me to be their mayor who will rule over them with a democracy of blank from the oval office of blank. In fact in terms of blank I my mind may be the king of all-"

He stopped talking and laughed loudly before turning his head to Rose with a big grin on his handsome face. "I'm still chatty. I love that. I would have hated regenerating as someone who couldn't waffle on about nothing. The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things."

He blinked dumbly before chuckling sheepishly, "Where on Earth did that come from? I think I just quoted, do I quote now? Quoting seems like such an old man type of thing to do. Am I getting old?" He asked before his attention suddenly focused on what he was wearing.

"Oh no...," he murmured as he looked down at himself. He was wearing a black suit with a white shirt, which was missing a few buttons and had an open collar. He was completely soaked and to top it all off he was only wearing one shoe. "Well isn't that precious? Somebody has nicked my shoe!"

xxbutterfiywings

Rose smiled as she watched him continue to babble on and then talk about his babbling and she laughed shaking her head. "You wouldn't be the Doctor if you couldn't babble on about something." She teased him playfully, running a hand through her blonde locks for just a moment before she'd realize what the new Doctor had just said. He didn't know why he was here or what had happened. So did he understand his role as the Doctor if that were the case?

"So are you saying that you don't know what to do then? People, civilizations are depending on your help Doctor. Please don't tell me you don't remember any of that." She said her eyes filled with concern, trying her best not to get caught up in that smile of his. He had an amazing smile like her Doctor had, and he was quirky like him too. Ugh! She really hoped his memories would return from the blank land because she was not going to do this again she was not going to travel. Her attention turned to his attire when he mentioneed someone nicking his shoe and she bust out into laughter.

"Oh dear! Seems like they have or maybe you lost it in the sand somehow? I'm sure we can get you a new pair of shoes, and maybe some new clothes. Wait! You can get those from the TARDIS I believe... where is the TARDIS?" She asked, her eyes becoming wide again as she frantically searched around the beach. Oh dear, she surely hoped he had an idea of where it was!

Villain

"Rose, I've just woken up on a beach with barely any memory of who I am and one shoe. I think I'm entitled to decide what my priorities are and what I'm supposed to do next, because funnily enough, I don't know who I am and what I do," he said before rolling his eyes at her as she began to laugh at his predicament.

"Yes, yes, it's funny when it isn't happening to you," he said before his ears pricked up as she asked him about the TARDIS. "And that's a very good question. Where did I leave my TARDIS?"

He began to search through his pockets, alarm growing on his face as he riffled through them. He sighed with relief when he pulled out a key from his pocket, but then confusion crossed his face as a long piece of string trailed on from the key dragging with it a piece of paper and a drinks coaster.

"Isn't that just amazing? I regenerate, I have barely any memory, I'm missing a shoe and the only clue I have as to how it all happened is a drinks coaster from a pub and a wet piece of paper that says..." He held the paper up to his eyes and stared at it before growling with frustration. "Dorlette Hotel Wine Tasting... do you know what that tells me Rose?" He groaned and shook his head before slapping his temple with one hand. "I killed myself by drinking myself to death."

xxbutterfiywings

The same confusion was upon Rose's face when she saw him pull that string out of his pocket with the drink coaster on it. She narrowed her eyebrows for a moment and then looked at him as he came up with a prediction and she couldn't help but shake her head.

"I know... well I knew the Doctor. I don't think you would drink yourself to death. Maybe something happened there. Some sort of alien or unknown life form." She said softly as she thought about what could've possibly happened and she stepped forward to take the coaster into her hand so she could read the name of the bar on the coaster.

"This bar is just up the street. Maybe we can go there and see if anyone remembers something." She said but couldn't help but smirk at the fact that he only had one shoe still. "Unless you'd want to buy a new pair of shoes first... we could do that too." She said, a few muffled giggles ecaping her lips.

Villain

"Lets hope your right, I would hate to have been done in by a glass of Chardonnay," The Doctor said with a grumble as he looked over the drinks coaster Rose held in her hand. The pub which the coaster had come from was called the Crowned Stranger and had a picture of a large question mark wearing a golden crown on it. The Doctor found it a bit funny that the first clue he had obtained looked as confused as he felt.

The Doctor sighed again and rolled his eyes as Rose giggled, pocketing the wet paper and coaster whilst brushing away a few drops of water than ran down his messy hair. "You're enjoying my lack of a right shoe far too much Rose Tyler. I'm wearing a tuxedo, can't you laugh at that instead?" The Doctor asked before gesturing to the damp and very tattered black tuxedo and white shirt combination he was wearing. 

He dismissed Rose's suggestion to buy shoes with a shake of his head before walking across the sandy beach with a slight tilt, "New shoes can wait Rose. I need answers and I need them now. Besides, I think I'm pulling off the one shoe look rather well. Soon everyone will start wearing only one shoe."

The Doctor suddenly paused on the sand and slowly turned to face Rose before striding up to her and looking her in the eye. "Rose Tyler, Rose Tyler, Rose Tyler..." he spoke softly, whilst his eyes looked into hers with confusion. "Something's different about you.... did you loose weight? Did you do something with your hair? Were you always a natural blonde?"

xxbutterfiywings

Rose shook her head hearing the Doctor's comment about the Chardonnay. At this point she could take a glass or two of the wine considering she felt like she was going on an emotional roller coaster. She had never thought she would be in this situation again. Another Doctor, another journey. Goodness, she just hoped it all ended soon.

She raised an eyebrow at the comment about the tux and she smirked before shaking her head. " Of course not. The fact that you only have one shoe is more amusing. Your tux actually doesn't look too shabby Doctor." She teased him playfully and was starting to walk off of the beach as he caught up to her. She stopped quickly in her tracks and her eyes widened.

"Doctor! What are you..." She paused as she listened to him ramble on and she sighed running a hand through her blonde locks. "I did not lose weight, I didn't lose my hair color. I'm the same as I was with the old Doctor." She said her arms folding across her chest and then sighed. She wasn't going to tell him that she was upset or that she wasn't going on any sort of journey with him. He was a new Doctor, not her Doctor. There was no use in getting mixed up in more shinanigans after she just fixed herself after her last bit of mess. 

Villain

"Well, you're two thirds right..." The Doctor said as he looked at her thoughtfully. "You haven't lost weight. You haven't changed your hair, but something is very different about you." The Doctor said before stepping back and gazing over her very slowly, as if taking in every detail of the girl, no matter how insignificant it might be.

"Wait!" He suddenly yelped before pointing at her and slowly grinning. "I've got it! I know what's different about you!" He said before clicking his fingers and pointing at her again. "You're cross! You're cross with me! You are very cross at me for regenerating and getting rid of the old me like I did way back in the past, right after...right after..."

The Doctor began to tap the sides of his head again as he tried to recall the memory. He remembered having very short hair and wearing a purple shirt under a black jacket. He could remember being rude and angry, as well as cheeky and funny. He could even remember the spooky adventures they had been on, but something was missing... something that could be summed up with just two simple words.

"Bad...Wolf..." the Doctor said before staring into space for a moment as he let the words settle in the air. "Bad wolf...yes... you absorbed the Time Vortex. You became a vengeful god of war with ultimate power and you wiped out the enemy with just a wave of your hand," the Doctor said and tilted his head a little to the side as he looked down at her. "But you were going to burn up, so I saved you by taking in all of that nasty energy. Which killed me in the end and forced a regeneration."

"And once I was done, you got cross. Just like you are now," the Doctor said before frowning and crossing his arm over his chest. "Am I right? I know I am, but I would like to hear you say it. It will prove that my brain is still working all right."

xxbutterfiywings

Rose jumped a bit as he yelped, her blue eyes widening a bit and she rolled them with a sigh. What was he on about anyway? She couldn't help but feel the strings within her heart start to tighten as he mentioned her being cross with him. Of course she was! This wasn't her Doctor! He wasn't the man... er well time lord she had fallen in love with. When he only mentioned the regeneration she couldn't help but smirk and shake her head as she threw her arms up in the air.

"Yes! I am bloody cross with you but that isn't even the real reason!" She yelled feeling the tears prick at the back of her eyes and she looked at him, her eyebrows furrowing and her eyes glared at him.

"After you regenerated... I fell even more in love with you. And you... I believe you loved me too. But do you know what you did? To bloody save me? You locked me in a different dimension! You left me alone... without you. And that tore my heart apart. I couldn't eat for days; i cried for months. This was one of the first times in almost six months that I was able to walk around without anyone. Without seeing you in the shadows or standing behind me in the glass of the stores. And then - then I got that ridiculous phone call that brought me here and here you are! It's like a bloody nightmare! My heart is breaking all over again when I had finally finally been able to get the hurt to go away. So YES I am a little cross with you, sorry about that, but I believe YOU deserve it!" She said, her cheeks a bright red by the time she was done explaining it all to him. She could feel a few tears falling down her cheeks but she quickly brushed them away and shook her head.

"Can we just get going already?" She asked, crossing her arms after she had finished flailing them around in her heated moment. 

Villain

"Of course," the Doctor replied with a curt nod. His blue eyes had never looked away while she poured her heart out, his face never changed from the dull mask that he wore. All he did was stare and listen to her fury. When she was done, he turned and motioned for her to follow him with a small jerk of his head.

They walked across the beach in silence for a minute or two before he finally spoke.

"I can't help regenerating Rose," He said softly with his deep smooth voice. "I can't help that we were separated and I can't help that you feel like I abandoned you. You should know that it killed me just as much to have to leave you there, but what was  supposed to do? Break the universe? Kill billions of innocent lives out of the selfish wish to see you one more time?"

"Even if I had gone through with it, I wouldn't have been able to appreciate it for very long. Our atoms would have been wrenched apart within seconds of the universe fracturing. You, me, your Mum, your Dad, Micky, Toby, all dead, because of my selfishness. Would you honestly want that?" The Doctor asked with no accusation in his voice. "I don't think either of us would have wanted that blood on our ha-"

The Doctor paused, something was bothering him. Something he had said wasn't sitting right with him. There was something huge in front of him that he couldn't see. It was staring him in the face, but no matter how hard he tried he just couldn't make sense of it. It almost felt as if he had told a lie, but not to Rose, to himself.

Something he had said was...inconsistent.

"That's an inconsistency." A little of the fog in his mind seemed to clear as he recalled a cheerful voice. He didn't know where it came from, but it sounded pleasant...and so very, very familiar. "Now, how you take advantage of an inconsistency is pretty simple. If something is inconsistent, then you have to create a certainty to counter it. In other words, you have to prove that reality is right"

He shook his head violently, dismissing the strange memory from his head before he turned to look at Rose again. "I'm sorry Rose," he said quietly after a moment hesitation. "I'm so sorry for putting you through all of this. I'm sorry about how things turned out. I can't imagine the distress I'm causing you by showing up looking like this," he said before pointing to his face with both fingers.

"But, if its any consolation..." he said, his voice trailing off as he looked away, "I'm...happy I got to see you again... I don't know why I'm here and why my mind is so lost right now, but I'm glad you're here."

xxbutterfiywings

Rose hesitantly followed him, her arms still crossed across her chest as she tried to hide her tears by quickly wiping them away while he had his back to her. She listened to him ramble on. Oh, she knew that he couldn't help the regeneration and technically she knew the reason behind him locking her in another dimension even though she didn't want to admit it. But it still didn't stop the hurt in her heart. And it didn't help the memories that came flooding back to her mind as she looked at the Doctor before her.

She stopped walking as he turned around to look at her and she raised a confused eyebrow as she watched him violently shake his head. "Are you okay Doctor?" She asked him softly, her blue eyes showing concern and then she heard his apology and then those words of consolation and a strangled sob escaped her lips as she looked away from him. She couldn't stop the tears, not this time especially after hearing those words. She wanted to tell him to sod off, she wanted to tell him to just go away and figure this all out on his own. But she knew that she couldn't do that. She had heard the - no her Doctor return in those kind words he had just say.

And before she even knew what she was doing, she was wrapping her arms around him in a tight hug the tears continuing to fall down her cheeks as she hid her face in his chest. She had gone through this before. He may not look like her Doctor and this situation was even more odd considering he had limited memories, but he was technically still the Doctor she had come to know during their last adventure.

She blushed after a few moments and finally pulled away from him running a hand through her hair in a sheepish manner. "Sorry. But yes, that does help." She said softly and then pointed towards the street. "We should continue going yeah?" She asked him not wanting to delay their journey.

Villain

The Doctor was stunned as Rose hugged him. He could still remember how awkward it had been when he had first regenerated, it had almost torn them apart. Not only had she had to adjust to the weird man with lots of hair that had stood in the previous Doctors place, but she had also needed to stand by and watch him sleep while the world suffered at the mercy of the Sycorax. He was surprised that she could hug him after putting her through it all again.

"Yes... I suppose we should be off," the Doctor said, trying his best not to smile too much as they walked off the beach and into town.

The town of Dårlig Ulv Stranden was just as grey and dismal as the beach itself, although at first glance no one would think it. The streets were packed and full of chatter. Old people, young people, parents, children, families, couples, school kids and more filled the roads as they walked to and fro. There were so many people that the Doctor couldn't see a single car, he supposed it was due to the masses that clogged up every bit of tarmac.

"My my...these streets are packed, when did the Norwegians start procreating this much?" the Doctor asked Rose before letting out a cry and pointing at one of the people across the street. "Rose! Look at that one! He's huge! It's like he swallowed a cement mixer!" He said excitedly before pointing at another. "And that one! She's so thin she could be made out of pasta!"

Confusion crossed his handsome face as he looked at Robin. His new regeneration was a head or two taller than her, so in order to look her in the eye he had to tilt his head slightly to one side.

"Why were you in the area?" He asked softly. "This place is a bit of an odd place to take a holiday. Or do you live here now?" He asked before turning to look back at the beach. A sly smile broke out on the corner of his lips, "You weren't...waiting for me were you?"

xxbutterfiywings

Rose walked with the Doctor off the beach and she couldn't help but smirk at his enthusiasm at the people surrounding them. Her eyes widened and she blushed deeply when he started to point at the people and she instantly grabbed his hand before shaking her head.

"Doctor, you may have lost all your memories but please be polite at least." She hissed seeing that the people were not glaring at them as they passed. "See now they're staring at us. You know, you're not much better. You look like a string bean yourself!" She said and couldn't help but laugh at the craziness of it all. At least this Doctor was still a bit quirky. Rose could definitely see herself become attached to him - even though she wouldn't admit it and she still wasn't going too anyway! She continued to walk with him and couldn't help but laugh again as she noticed him tilting his head to look at her.

"That's kind of creepy you know considering how tall you are." She teased and she sighed at his question. "This is where I live now with mum, dad, Mickey and mum and dad's soon to be baby." She ran a hand through her blonde locks and shook her head.

"I wish you could rememeber everything. It's weird you know... you're supposed to have this immense knowledge and now it seems like it's all gone." She said with a frown. She wasn't trying to bring him down, she was more concerned then anything. The Doctor was definitely vulnerable in this state.     

Villain

"Oh you worry too much, I'm sure my immense knowledge is still in my head somewhere. I just need to warm it up," the Doctor said before stopping and pointing again. "Wait, what on earth is that?" He asked with alarm as he pointed at a young man riding a bicycle. He stared at it for a moment before laughing and slapping his head. "Oh yes, now I remember, silly me. It's one of those unicycle things."

He didn't give Rose a moment to correct him, instead he shoved his hands in his jacket pockets and kept walking at a brisk pace. "So...all your family have migrated to the lovable country of the Norse. How quaint..." he said as he gazed up at the buildings with a smile, which quickly faded as a thought suddenly entered his head. "...oh no... your mother is going to kill me."

"Rose, don't tell your family I'm back. I don't want to get kicked to death," he said before coming to a sudden halt as they reached an old English pub with the words The Crowned Stranger written on it in big gold letters. It looked empty from the outside, barely anyone sat at the bar or the old oak tables that could be seen from the window. A strange thing when seemingly hundreds lined the streets.

"Very English, now I can see why you live here," the Doctor said before pausing again. "Wait...your mothers having a baby?" he asked before shaking his head. "I remember you telling me but..." his voice trailed off again. That niggling feeling had returned, now even stronger than before, but he still couldn't see what he was missing.