Conquest of a New World

Started by OldSchoolGamer, February 25, 2007, 06:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

After some thought, I have decided to venture into the realm of...systemless gaming.

The story I would like to open is going to be an authentic, realistic (and, for those very reasons, as you will see) politically incorrect tale of adventure and discovery.

In the Year of Our Lord 1798, with the Revolutionary War a regrettably settled matter, and most of Africa and the Americas already divvied up, the British Crown is looking for new lands to explore.  There is a sense that the great Age of Exploration is now drawing to a close, as most of the blanks on maps of the world are now filled in, more or less. 

For many young men, signing up for this voyage carries a particular sense of urgency.  The trip may well be among the last chances a European lad has to see uncharted parts of the globe and perhaps rise to greatness, unencumbered by European social strata and peerage.  Only in distant lands could a cutpurse escaped from jail or the son of a blacksmith become a lord!  The chance to bash some heads, bring the light of civilization to savages, and sow some wild oats with exotic, dark women along the way is also a definite and powerful motivator!

The ship sailed from London, and made excellent time the first three weeks of the voyage.  As boredom began to set in, some began to question their choice, but there was still a sense of anticipation and imminent adventure.  A couple fistfights did little to quell the enthusiasm--the men at arms on board promptly broke up the imbroglios, but the ship's captain said, "boys will be boys..."

On the second day of the fourth week, the ship's barometer began to drop precipitously.  As it plunged below 29 inches of mercury, the wind rose...as did the seas.  The skies darkened, and as the sun went down, a most thorough and tenebrous darkness descended...

For three days, even hardcore skeptics found religion as assidious prayers were prayed and even rough men huddled together.  The ship tossed and turned, and anyone even remotely susceptible to seasickness was in a state of utter misery.

After the third day, the barometer rose and the skies cleared.  The seas calmed, giving the sickened relief.  And ahead was an uncharted land, verdant with flora...and promise.

This sim has innumerable characters, to wit:

Master of Expedition: Terrance Rothschild.  He is the one who paid for all this.  What he didn't tell anyone was that he was embroiled in a financial scandal due to break a week after the ship sailed, one that would have resulted in him being put in irons were he still in London.

Ship's Captain: (open) The Captain is master of the ship, and an independent contractor hired by Terrance. 

Skilled Tradesmen: Masons, carpenters, farmers, farriers, miners...pretty much anyone who has a skill.

Men at Arms: Fighting men and mercenaries

Ship's Naturalist: A scientist along for his own adventure, as well as to help site any new colony or handle any scientific questions that arise.  (His skills will be quite in demand)

Ne'er-do-Wells:  Those who hired on as ship hands.  Don't ask them where their money came from.  Some are wanted by the Crown.  Needless to say, these folk may well disappear as soon as the ship reaches shore.

Elvi

Well..if you want authenticity, they'd sail from Plymouth or Portsmouth.....*grins*

So.....what players do you want for this and what would players be expecting from the game? 
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Elvi on February 25, 2007, 08:02:25 PM
Well..if you want authenticity, they'd sail from Plymouth or Portsmouth.....*grins*

So.....what players do you want for this and what would players be expecting from the game? 

Excellent questions...I'm looking for players to RP characters from the ship.  This is a realistic story, so most of the openings (for the moment) will be for male characters playing the British colonists.  Most of these characters will be at least a little on the shady side, "alignment"-wise. 

There may be a couple idealistic characters, but this is set at the tail end of the 18th Century.  Most of the population then held beliefs we would consider to be racist and misogynist by the standards of the 21st Century, and this would certainly be true of the stratum of society the recruits for this voyage are drawn from.  There are always exceptions, of course, but they are exceptions not the rule. 
This is what I meant by politically incorrect...the idea of explicit sex scenes--especially reluctant, coerced or nonconsensual--between white men and black women seems to be taboo.  (Of course, such encounters between black men and white women--often under wildly improbable conditions--seem to be all the rage, but that's a topic for another time and thread.)  I would want players who could get into those roles without being squeamish.

But there's more to the story than white on black sex.  The ship has discovered a whole new land, and we're not talking a small island here.  This land is big.  And strange.  And before long the British mariners will discover they are not the only visitors to this place from far off...there are others, from circumstances and places further afield than they could possibly imagine.  There are elements of Lost, and Edgar Rice Burroughs here...

So what this game is really about is character development...discovery...role-playing...and of course hot sex.

Muse

Oh, wow, the roll of the naturalist is extremly tempting! 

I wonder if i'll still think so in a few weeks, though, when the new games I'm in have gotten going and early spring makes it's way across the tropic of capercorn? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Muse on February 26, 2007, 03:21:55 AM
Oh, wow, the roll of the naturalist is extremly tempting! 

I wonder if i'll still think so in a few weeks, though, when the new games I'm in have gotten going and early spring makes it's way across the tropic of capercorn? 

Well, only one way to find out...

Mia

Sorry to be forced to ask (feeling so extramely blond here), but are this game about the journey to Australia or what?
I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

ON and OFF: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8615.0

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: SubmissiveMia on February 26, 2007, 09:29:53 AM
Sorry to be forced to ask (feeling so extramely blond here), but are this game about the journey to Australia or what?

No...the new world the ship discovers is going to be quite a bit more exotic than Australia.

Cherri Tart

are there going to be dinosaurs?  lol - umm... so, you said it's mostly males on the ship as well?  any room for girl players?
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Archangel

What kind of posting pace would you be looking for, one a day, several a day, every other day, or does it even matter?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you...

Cherri Tart

Quote from: SubmissiveMia on February 26, 2007, 09:29:53 AM

lol - welcome to the club, Mia - that's usually how i feel with all those dice games you ppl play :)

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Archangel

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on February 26, 2007, 01:36:47 PM
No...the new world the ship discovers is going to be quite a bit more exotic than Australia.

So it's like Canada ? ;D

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Archangel on February 26, 2007, 02:01:25 PM
So it's like Canada ? ;D
lol - great, glaciers and beer and people who end every sentence with 'eh' ;)

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Archangel

Quote from: Cherri Tart on February 26, 2007, 02:08:27 PM
lol - great, glaciers and beer and people who end every sentence with 'eh' ;)

Sounds perfect, sign me up !!! ;D ;)

OldSchoolGamer

Regarding dinosaurs...I don't want to give anything away, but suffice it to say the new lands will have flora and fauna unknown to the sailors...and to any of us today for that matter.

The sailors are male...I figure this is a realistic depiction of the 18th century.  There are plenty of female natives the sailors will encounter, however.  But if someone really wants to play a female Brit, I think it could be arranged.  One caveat for anyone playing a native female is that he natives are African (at least in looks and body type/coloration) and the story likely will involve at least some nonconsensual white-on-black sex scenes.

Posting pace is likely to be about every other day.  YMMV depending on the thread.  I don't want the pace to get languid, lest people lose interest, but on the other hand I don't want anyone to feel left behind and unable to keep up.

Jester

One way to get female players is to allow families on board?

I would be happy to be a merchant who was hoping to be successful in the new world.

OldSchoolGamer

I was mulling that idea...though to be quite honest thus far I'm just not seeing enough interest in the game idea to run it anyway.

Elvi

Because you aren't giving half the player base much option.
It appears that women have the choice of playing dusky maiden running away and hiding or dusky maiden being raped and pillaged.
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Archangel

I would probably play if you started this up. I've been meaning to partcipate in a group game. This one does interest me.

Jester

This game could be almost split into two. The journey over and the colony at the other end.

I think I would enjoy being a Governer in the new World. :-)

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Elvi on March 02, 2007, 04:50:16 AM
Because you aren't giving half the player base much option.
It appears that women have the choice of playing dusky maiden running away and hiding or dusky maiden being raped and pillaged.

*nods*  what Elvi said.  I might be interested if I actually could go adventuring in the new world

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Swedish Steel

Bah, everyone knows that letting a woman on a ship is bad luck! What is next, maybe you want voting rights too?
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

OldSchoolGamer

In response to popular demand, I'm going to open things up to female colonists as well as female mercenaries.  I'd still like to keep the overall "sexual motif" of white-on-black sex, but I'm willing to be flexible on that, too.

Positions are also open for native women too, of course.

Archangel

though I'm not british, and not overly familiar with their strange customs... j/k...

I think I'd like to play a royal navy officer who goes to land as the new governor's right hand man... I'm reading a book about a similar character set in Eastern Canada back when the French and English were fighting over land rights...

OldSchoolGamer

Sounds like a plan.

So, ladies and germs, let's go ahead and get these characters fleshed out.  Note that I'm not big on highly detailed backgrounds...in a well-written story we don't learn all there is to know about characters up front, and some secrets should be left to reveal as the story progresses.

In your description, we should get a good picture of your character, what segment of society he or she came from, and why he or she chose to risk everything and board a ship bound on a journey to unknown lands.  We should get an idea of your character's overall morals: saintly, decent, questionable, shady, or outright evil (all are permissible).

Quote from: Archangel on March 03, 2007, 05:49:53 AM
though I'm not british, and not overly familiar with their strange customs... j/k...

I think I'd like to play a royal navy officer who goes to land as the new governor's right hand man... I'm reading a book about a similar character set in Eastern Canada back when the French and English were fighting over land rights...

OldSchoolGamer

So was anyone here actually interested in this concept, or should I take it elsewhere?