News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Password-Protecting Folders

Started by Caeli, January 23, 2012, 07:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

Is it possible to password-protect individual folders on my computer? That is, someone would need a password to access content in those folders.

I use Windows 7 Home Premium.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Misty Zephyrs

There are some programs for file and folder encryption here.  Look under Security Software < Encryption Software. One I found is called PixelCryptor.  Be sure to read the Editors' Review.

There are also some programs available here.  Look under Security Tools < File and Folder Protection.

jaybee55

I've been using TrueCrypt for years.  It's especially nice because it's open source, and can be used on Linux, Windoze, and OSX, BSD, etc.  Rather than encrypt a "folder" it lets you create a fully encrypted container file of a given size, anywhere you want on your hard drive, and use that file as a separate device (in Windoze it shows up as a hard drive).  It's also very difficult for someone to tell that your container file is a TrueCrypt volume.  The encryption is VERY strong, and the software provides some additional security features as well.

In addition to the container file method you can also encrypt entire devices or partitions (as long as they don't need to be bootable).  Like an entire flash drive for example, or a separate partition on your hard drive.
Ons and Offs (incomplete)