Looking for D&D 5e Play by Post

Started by Layne Spooks, April 22, 2024, 06:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Layne Spooks

I've been itching to join a good D&D 5e game for a while now, preferably play by post so I don't run the risk of schedules conflicting with my IRL D&D game at any point. The character I've been itching to try would be best suited to a darker setting, but I would be happy to give most settings a shot. I'm pretty new to the play by post format with tabletop games, so I might ask a lot of questions about that, but I've played D&D for years and am pretty familiar with most mechanics. The lore is a bit patchy for me as most games I've played have been at least part homebrewed. I favour RP over combat, though I do enjoy some good fights in my games too. That all being said, if you've got a D&D game and you're looking for a player, please send me a message, I'd love to join.

Andronica

Hi Layne! 

I'm considering GMing or co-GMing a freeform, somewhat sandbox D&D 5e small group game here in June. 

I've found the lack of a system isn't everyone's cuppa, so I don't mind the addition of some dice rolls to spice up an encounter but my preference is to write it very relaxed and story driven without stat tracking or the like, just abilities used within reason etc. I may homebrew the world to suit the plot once I flesh it out a bit more as it's still very much a WIP floating 'round my head.

However, I'd love to know about the character you'd like to play and the dark themes you're comfortable with. I could certainly tailor something appropriate.

Layne Spooks

Hi!

I'm curious about how you intend to balance between freeform and 5e. How do you think character and ability progression will work without stat tracking? I only ask because the progression of characters' abilities and such is part of the draw to the 5e system for me. I'm definitely fine with homebrew though, as I mentioned most games I've played have been homebrew in some capacity.

The character I have in mind is a shadar-kai (A Shadowfell elf, basically) Bloodhunter who was abandoned at an early age and taken in by a cult-like temple of the Raven Queen. He was raised to be something of an attack dog for the temple and did some pretty bad things at their command. As for dark themes, I'm comfortable with most dark themes (the first game I did with my irl group was horror and body-horror specifically is a mainstay of my irl GM's stories), though if any dubiously consensual or nonconsensual sex is involved I'll have to be pretty careful.  As for this character specifically, I was thinking of having a focus on themes of redemption and how to balance one's desire for redemption with the sometimes deadly actions one might have to take as an adventurer.

Andronica

I would balance freeform and 5e by essentially writing out player progress in story terms instead of stats (gaining new abilities equivalent to what you get in a level up, for example). 

I like to assume for RP purposes everyone is already starting out at a middling level with a variety of spells and abilities at their disposal. Then, when they go through a particular 'quest' or harrowing situation that would, in tabletop terms, warrant the xp for an level up perk the player can pick something reasonable which would be available in the phb and write a scene of that being bestowed on them by their deity or some such. It doesn't need to happen for every level up because that might get kinda trite after a while since we aren't actually keeping track of XP milestones and just enhancing the characters through natural story progression.

All the abilities and content of 5e would be allowed in the RP setting if it can be written reasonably - ex. a druid wildshapes twice in a single day during the course of the story but rather than outright stating "you can't do this again until after a long rest" the player says their druid is too exhausted to do it again and suggests in-character that maybe the group should make camp, or they rely on spells for now. This would require a bit of D&D knowledge although I won't make it a hard and fast requirement because this is essentially writing a fantasy RP with a couple rules in place to prevent OP maneuvers.

Speaking of abilities and classes, I'm quite happy to include Xanathar and Tasha's additions because I've had an inkling to write a celestial warlock or hexblade, personally! ;)

That's the gist of it. Hopefully I properly conveyed the marriage of freeform and 5e in terms of how I see it, rather than rambling nonsensically. In the most laymen of terms... if you've seen Vox Machina, that's how I envision the character development to go.

And your character sounds absolutely fantastic! The road to redemption is one of my favourites to write about.

I haven't written much body horror at all though knowing your limits for NC, that shouldn't be an issue. Would it be OK to mention it as part of a backstory or something that may occur in the story even if it's not directly associated with your character? Or is any inclusion of those themes a hard no (excluding it entirely won't be a problem for me)?

Layne Spooks

So if I understand right, you'd essentially be keeping a sort of leveling system, but rather than tracking XP you'd simply be using the story milestone method?

As for what abilities and classes you'll allow are you just allowing base game, Xanathar and Tasha's stuff, or is any official content okay?

Thank you, I'm hoping he will get a good story to exist in.

Body horror isn't a requirement by any means, I was just trying to give some examples of darker themes I have experience with and am comfortable RPing. As for NC themes, for the most part I'm alright with it existing in the background and the story outside my character, though if it gets too gratuitous I might tap out of the scene. If it's involving my character specifically it would currently be a hard no.

Andronica

I'm glad I conveyed it well enough - yes, no official stat counting but using written story progression to reach milestones more naturally.

Any official content is fine by me honestly (ie. Your characters race). I'm pretty lenient about the content as long as it works for a D&D game. :)

As for your limits, completely heard and understood! I'm going to ruminate on my ideas a bit longer and hit you up when I have something more concrete. Feel free to toss me some questions or ideas.

Layne Spooks

That sounds awesome. Please keep me posted. :)