An experiment with an assault rifle & a swimming pool

Started by Avis habilis, July 24, 2013, 07:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avis habilis

How do you get a good look at how the gases come out of an AK while it's being fired? Why, film it with a super slo-mo camera while you shoot it underwater of course.

I was surprised to see that the bullet only managed to travel about six feet.

Oreo

Mythbusters didn't show the slow-mo or underwater shot, but they did do a show on how far a bullet will travel underwater. You're pretty safe if you are three feet below the surface.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Oniya

Quote from: Avis habilis on July 24, 2013, 07:17:56 AM
I was surprised to see that the bullet only managed to travel about six feet.

Water's a lot denser than air.  *nods*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Slywyn

I suspect the bullet went further when it was already under the water than when it had to break the water's surface tension because... it ... didn't have to break the water's surface tension. >_>

That sentence wasn't so dumb in my head.

Basically when it hit the water's surface it kind of disintegrated so not having to break the surface probably kept it from breaking up/losing energy so quickly.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Oniya

Basically, when you're going fast enough, going from air to water is like hitting concrete.  Starting out underwater eliminates that 'concrete'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

Video here

PS Coolest job ever!!

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Avis habilis

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oreo on July 24, 2013, 08:30:55 AM
Mythbusters didn't show the slow-mo or underwater shot, but they did do a show on how far a bullet will travel underwater. You're pretty safe if you are three feet below the surface.

Actually, most normal pistol rounds break up on the water's surface.  A rifle round which is slightly pointier, thus allowing for penetration, will go through the surface.  Most submachineguns also use pistol rounds, and even a higher count of bullets won't break the surface.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Slywyn

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 28, 2013, 06:06:49 PM
Actually, most normal pistol rounds break up on the water's surface.  A rifle round which is slightly pointier, thus allowing for penetration, will go through the surface.  Most submachineguns also use pistol rounds, and even a higher count of bullets won't break the surface.

Actually that's almost completely backward. Slower pistol rounds penetrate much further than faster assault rifle rounds. Anything above a .45 tends to turn into fragments an inch or so below the surface. Water doesn't compress, and the metal can't take the friction/force impacted upon it when it's moving that fast and hits the water.

If you want to hit someone in water use a 9mm, rifles just create slow, fluttery shrapnel.

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Chris Brady

That's the thing, Mythbusters proved that pistol rounds tend to break up on the surface.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Slywyn

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 28, 2013, 06:21:31 PM
That's the thing, Mythbusters proved that pistol rounds tend to break up on the surface.

I just rewatched that part of the episode. They proved that anything faster than pistol rounds breaks up on the surface.

Edit: http://youtu.be/yvSTuLIjRm8?t=1m45s (And it's actually breaks up within about 3ft of the surface)