~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corvusul86

Inhere is a weird word -- I looked up 'inhere in a sentence' on google and I'm still not sure I'm using it right.

It did not help that the first example my googling found was "As Ueberweg points out, his theory is rather a result of the transference of the Aristotelian conception of substance to the Platonic Idea, and of an identification of the relation of accidents to the substance in which they inhere with that of the individuals to the Idea of which, in the Platonic doctrine, they are copies"

Um... I guess that is the kind of sentence one would use if they said things like 'inhere', but...

wander

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 28, 2017, 11:21:45 AM
Oooh, Wander brought WH40K into WotD! Nice! ;D Also, plague zombies... Gross. XD

I had a quiet day, so I decided to roll out and try a little sample with my boy Typhus. I've yet to field poxwalkers (the new name for plague zombies), though when I did field some autopistol and ccw wielding Cultists in a Metahl Bawks they ripped apart three Tau squads before being finally killed, which was neat.

The Poxwalkers do appear in my 1000pt/50 Power army however with Typhus in command, so I hope to eventually see what they end up being like on-table. :)

Really though, as a Death Guard and Nurgle player, when the word 'fester' comes up, I had to.  ;D

Theta Sigma

A funny note: I posted today's word from my phone and autocorrect tried to turn it into vermicelli. I thought that was amusing, but I looked back at the word of the day page, and I found this.

What does the word vermicular have in common with the pasta on your plate? If you're eating vermicelli (a spaghetti-like pasta made in long thin strings) the answer is vermis, a Latin noun meaning "worm."

So, today's word is yummy, too!

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Shores

Oooo I always wondered why the noodles I love are called that. It's such a complicated name for something so simple to cook.

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Shores on August 14, 2017, 04:08:46 AM
Oooo I always wondered why the noodles I love are called that. It's such a complicated name for something so simple to cook.
It really is. I always wondered too, since they are the best type of noodles.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

TheSamm

So I have a question, is there a rule against using several or even all of the words of the day? Not trying to be an overachiever, but I do use a couple of these regularly and I kind of want to try all of them out. :o
INFJ

Blythe

Quote from: TheSamm on August 14, 2017, 09:32:48 PM
So I have a question, is there a rule against using several or even all of the words of the day? Not trying to be an overachiever, but I do use a couple of these regularly and I kind of want to try all of them out. :o

It's absolutely allowed to use as many Words of the Day as you like in a writing selection. Make sure to put the individual words you use in bold so we can more easily see how many you use and where. :)

TheSamm

Quote from: Blythe on August 14, 2017, 09:34:46 PM
It's absolutely allowed to use as many Words of the Day as you like in a writing selection. Make sure to put the individual words you use in bold so we can more easily see how many you use and where. :)
Oh excellent, I'm going to go crazy. ;D
INFJ

TheSamm

Okay finally finished a submission. I did get to use quite a few of those, I rather like temporize and cthonic lol
INFJ

Theta Sigma

Today's word threw me. I've never seen it before! It is from the 15th century, and definitely has that old feel about it.

Have fun with this one, folks. :>

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Dys Astyr

You guys are all doing an amazing job! I'm happy to see the WotD getting so much love. ;D
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

Theta Sigma

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Dys Astyr

Another good word today. ;D Flagrant is a word I probably use too much really. >_>

corvusul86

So you're flagrant with your usage of it?

Dys Astyr

Quote from: corvusul86 on August 23, 2017, 11:42:19 AM
So you're flagrant with your usage of it?

gigglesnorts
Indeed, terribly so. XD

Lurking

Okay, I'll admit it, I totally read that banner wrong. ::)
On Hiatus

Oreo

Quote from: Lurking on August 24, 2017, 11:59:41 AM
Okay, I'll admit it, I totally read that banner wrong. ::)
I simply couldn't resist. It is my birthday giggles to myself. ;D Thank you for noticing Lurking. That made my day extra special.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Lurking

Quote from: Oreo on August 24, 2017, 12:06:34 PM
I simply couldn't resist. It is my birthday giggles to myself. ;D Thank you for noticing Lurking. That made my day extra special.

It gave me a lot of giggles too. It also taught me a new word, so it was a double win. :D
On Hiatus

Suiko

I randomly did a submission ^^;

This isn't the sort of thing I usually do, but I thought that since I'm struggling with roleplay replies, this might be a way to do something creative.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Slow, motivation is tough. See my AAs -

Shores

It is! I like the no-fuss low-stress low-commitment nature of Word of the Day.

Dys Astyr

Oh today's word is fun. ;D This one is getting added to my normal vocabulary for sure.

Wanderlost

Hey Corvusul86! I really liked your post for today's word. It was really well contained, and an interesting take on the things you played with.

Since I haven't touched on my feelings on Word of the Day yet, I'll add that it's an awesome thread altogether, and I do like that it lets us work on improving our vocabulary while simultaneously working on our skill in writing short little scenes. I look forward to continuing to post in it!

corvusul86

Thank you!  Always love getting positive feedback:)

Word of the Day is great.

Theta Sigma

'What on Earth sort of word is that' Said I moments before posting today's word.

There are some weird words.

Language is weird.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Shores

Wow the definition for pace today is throwing me for a loop. How do you use it in a sentence with that definition? I looked online and the example sentences are for walking speed.