News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shores

I like that today's word is inalienable, for the Americans out there.  ;D

Beautiful Mystery

To go along with today's word of the day:

Did You Know?

Legend has it that the term flat-hat originated with an incident back in the days of barnstormers in which a pedestrian's hat was crushed by a low-flying airplane. According to one version of the tale, the reckless pilot was subsequently required to purchase a new hat for the hapless pedestrian. It seems unlikely that such an event actually took place, but we can well imagine how fear of having one's hat smashed flat by a passing airplane might have given rise to such a vivid verb. Flat-hat is first known to have appeared in English in 1940. Another word for flying low to the ground, the verb hedgehop, debuted at least 14 years earlier (and its related gerund hedgehopping is known to be a bit older still).
Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

RampantDesires

I love these flat-hat replies so far! 
corvusul86 - "Doomed ..." is the perfect ending for your scene, and I actually laughed out loud :D

Shores - It is good to be queen! I would love to hear the speech to the 'volunteers'!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Flower

I really loved the tone and concept of your ludic piece, Corvus! It was an excellent read. I want more. (^^)

corvusul86

Thank you Flower, RampantDesires, and everyone else who's given me positive feedback on these.  I'm really loving the encouragement -- I'm new here, but Elliquiy has been such a wonderful community so far:)

I've been taking these as an opportunity to just let the imagination go wild -- I write a lot of fanfiction, so it's been a while since I've just gone down the rabbit hole  exploring whatever random half-formed bunny-universe I latch onto.  It's been a lot of fun!

Theta Sigma

I want to express my amusement at today's word of the day.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

RampantDesires

:D 

I look forward to seeing what y'all come up with!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Theta Sigma

It might just be the historian in me, but I really like the origins of today's word:

Steadfast has held its ground in English for many centuries. Its Old English predecessor, stedefæst, combined stede (meaning "place" or "stead") and fæst (meaning "firmly fixed"). An Old English text of the late 10th century, called The Battle of Maldon, contains our earliest record of the word, which was first used in battle contexts to describe warriors who stood their ground. Soon, it was also being used with the broad meaning "immovable," and as early as the 13th century it was applied to those unswerving in loyalty, faith, or friendship. Centuries later, all of these meanings endure.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Beguile's Mistress

*nods*  A person who holds firm in their loyalty or support of another or a cause is described as steadfast.  Friends like that are invaluable. :-)

Jag

I like your story, corvusul86. It would be something I would like to read more about. She seemed to accept that they weren't wearing costumes fairly easily. Makes me wonder what kind of world they are in.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

corvusul86

Thanks!

I'm not really sure what's going on, myself -- when I started writing it I was thinking some kind of urban fantasy, and I wanted to turn things around at the bar scene, so I was going to make her be something powerful, like a dragon in disguise or an elder vampire or something.  But then I had the idea of her being a superhero, and this being the mystical underbelly of a DC/Marvel sorta setting... I dunno. 

If I were ever to continue this scene I'd need to make a lot of decisions;)

Jag

I kind of saw her as a 'Buffy' type of thing (sorry if you don't like Buffy!). Mostly an average girl, but with heightened senses and more durable than the average human. Someone who gets more 'superhero' like as time goes on.

corvusul86

I love Buffy!  I actually wrote a lot of Buffy fanfiction years ago -- it's one of the things that got me into writing regularly.

That's another good idea for what could be happening.

Jag

*loves Buffy too*

I have the new board game. It's amazing. >.<

Yay for fanfiction!

RampantDesires

CONGRATULATIONS corvusul86 !
You've made it into E's WotD Hall of Fame!

Huzzah!

"How could I have known about the dormant super volcano.." and your use of vindicate made me laugh way too hard.  Thank you so much for sharing all your lovely work!

Flower

Oh Jag! I loved your crucible contribution. I want moar.

corvusul86

@RampantDesires -- Thank you very much!  It's great to know people are enjoying my work  :D

Jag

Quote from: Flower on July 21, 2017, 05:57:51 AM
Oh Jag! I loved your crucible contribution. I want moar.

Thank you, Flower. Since I wrote it, I have been considering expanding it or making an or plot.

Theta Sigma

Oooh. Looking forward to seeing what people come up with using today's word!

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Jag

I'm having fun with this lately. ^_^

Not that it wasn't fun before.

Dys Astyr

Happy to see that the WotD is getting love, my Muse is being super lazy and fickle lately so I've been slacking! :P

Look forward to seeing what y'all come up with for today's word! ;D
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

Shores

Dys Astyr

That was my first thought too Shores! ;D

Shores

I'm definitely going to write an homage to them.  ;D

Dys Astyr

Oooh, Wander brought WH40K into WotD! Nice! ;D Also, plague zombies... Gross. XD