Previous topic - Next topic

Lancis

censorship or right thinking?

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/lf/052405dominteddybear

You be the judge!
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

Brandon

Censorship...thats not nearly as bad as some of the stuff Ive seen in those gay rights parades
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Amberghylles

I need to know a bit more about the event in particular...  While I thought it was rather cute, that bear isn't approprate for a children's parade. 

Spookie Monster

Hmmm... can I choose "both"? I mean, can I say it's appropriate censorship? I admit I don't know enough about this issue; the project is alternately described as a parade and a street exhibit*, for example. That said, the censorship itself seems to be a form of self-censorship (the project's art director decided to remove the piece, not the Swiss government) and, IMO, the bear (named "Baervers," evidently) really isn't appropriate for children...

Improper censorship is bad; I think we can agree on that. If a government has a book burned because that book preaches non-violence, for instance, it’s bad. But censorship is not inherently bad any more than law is inherently bad; it just needs to be used wisely. If this bear was a parody of the Venus de Milo, I'd say it was great; and if a father asked me what he should say to his son when his son asked, "What are those?" I'd reply, "Tell him, 'Son, those are a pair of boobs.'" And if this bear is put into a museum exhibit or set up in a nightclub, I'll be pleased; I believe a person who can appreciate it for what it is will actually find it pretty amusing. It definitely shouldn't be destroyed or some such nonsense.

That said, sex is hard for kids to understand, and power is hard for kids to understand, and together they're really hard to understand. Heck, most adults don't have a good grip on the subject. The piece is cool with me, but a public place probably isn't the best location for a teddy bear with a collar and a studded paddle, IMO, so I'd be inclined to choose "both" here.

By the way, my favorite part of all this came from the original Reuters article. I quote:

--------------------

The dominatrix bear's creators now seek a private home for their sadomasochist teddy. At least "Baervers" will not face the same hazards as his publicly-displayed peers, some of which have been vandalized or even kidnapped.

--------------------

His publicly-displayed peers?!

By the way, this reminds me: do we have any Meet the Feebles fans here?

Spel

* I get the impression it's a summer-long street exhibit:

--------------------

Some 600 teddies, variously decorated by artists, stud the streets of Zurich and its airport in the "Teddy-Summer" project.

--------------------
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

nick012000

Quote from: Spel on May 26, 2005, 05:24:51 AM
--------------------

The dominatrix bear's creators now seek a private home for their sadomasochist teddy. At least "Baervers" will not face the same hazards as his publicly-displayed peers, some of which have been vandalized or even kidnapped.

--------------------

His publicly-displayed peers?!

By the way, this reminds me: do we have any Meet the Feebles fans here?

Spel

Maybe it's a dickgirl dominatrix teddybear?