News:

Main Menu

CRPG Combat

Started by LostInTheMist, December 07, 2023, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTheMist

So, in my random wanders around the internet I've uncovered a certain level of... disagreement over the way CRPGs ought to be played. Specifically, how combat should work. Basically there are two schools of thought. Combat should be real time with pause, or combat should be turn-based.

Now a CRPG always has a number system/dice roller underneath it, whether combat is real time or turn-based. Now, Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2 and their ilk were real time with pause. Pillars of Eternity 1 was Real-Time with Pause. So was Dragon Age: Origins. 

Divinity: Original Sin, D:OS2, Solasta, and now Baldur's Gate III are all turn-based systems. Most of the recent RPGs (Pathfinder, Pillars of Eternity 2, etc.) have turn-based options.

The thing I see is a lot of fans of the old RPGs that were real-time with pause being upset at the turn towards turn-based combat in CRPGs. I see it as a positive though. I'm no good at real-time with pause. I muddled through Pillars of Eternity basically by over-leveling my team (hitting the level cap before even starting Act 3). I did the same with Dragon Age: Origins. I could probably have dropped the difficulty level, but I'm stubborn like that. Anyway, I'm doing much better with Baldur's Gate III and before that I was doing better with Divinity, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and Solasta.

So, my question is basically, where do you fall on the discussion or scale? Do you prefer one or the other? Do you feel that Baldur's Gate III is not a successor to the other Baldur's Gate games because it went with Turn-Based Combat? 

And yes, story matters more to me overall. That's part of why I stuck with Pillars of Eternity and Dragon Age: Origins DESPITE the combat. Story over everything. That said, in this instance, I'm asking for a general overview of people's thoughts on combat.

I prefer turn-based, if it wasn't clear, and I'm very happy that the recent trend seems to be in that direction. (Although I may have a skewed view. I don't play console RPGs any more.)

What are your thoughts?

Postsctipt: A little controversy here, but I don't think it's PROC level controversy. Some people may be passionate though, so just a general ask to keep it civil and all that.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated April 1, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: House sitting. Will not be replying until I return. See my A/As for details.

Darkcide

I think both systems have their place and can work to varying degrees. I personally prefer turn-based though, probably because I am a real big TTRPG player, and so despite loving the OG Baldur's Gate games? 3 truly felt like playing a great DnD campaign to me, and Larian are kind of making it hard for other companies to really compare currently. 

Revelation

In general I do not like RTWP (Real time with pause). I played through wrath of the righteous in turn based mode for 90% of the fights, sometimes turning it off for filler fights I didn't need to go tryhard mode for.

Turn based feels better to me and I just don't think 5e in specific would fly with RTWP very well at all.

LostInTheMist

Turn based does take longer. But I like knowing the abilities of my characters and being able to use them carefully instead of just aiming them at an enemy and mashing buttongs.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated April 1, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: House sitting. Will not be replying until I return. See my A/As for details.

Prism

I'm a big fan of turn based, myself. Although not RPGs, XCOM and XCOM 2 are some of my favorite games.