News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Warhammer in any incarnation?

Started by ryanmcallister80, October 31, 2011, 07:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanmcallister80

Anyone (willing to admit) play Warhammer fantasy, either the RPG or tabletop game or warhammer 40000?

HairyHeretic

Haven't played WFB since 2 editions back. I am a 40k player, 6 different armies, though my primary is Chaos. They're currently on the shelf til that woeful renegades codex is replaced by something worthy of being called Chaos again.

Have Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch and Black Crusade, but my pen and paper group aren't Warhammer fans, so no opportunity to play them offline.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Amethyst Dreams

Wow, been a while since I heard in mentioned, but yes I have played both the tabletop and rpg (2 ed.) version, back in college and then early uni.  I used to play as Dark Elves for the table top version, though time constraints nowadays really limit me there.

The Warhammer FRP is my favourite of the systems, since it was a relatively brutal system and so you always had to be careful with how you did things!
                                                                                                    A/A Update (16/4)

ryanmcallister80

I've got the current 40K rules (collecting Marines) as well as Dark Heresy.

Just got Island of Blood (high elf and skaven armies) and been a fan of WFRP since 1st Ed. Love the setting and a you said its a brutal combat system. Been a while since I've played. Wondering if there would be any interest in a game here?

Amethyst Dreams

I'd be interested in any Warhammer FRP game, though I'm only familiar with the 2 ed.  If there's one going, you can count me in for it!  I'll just have to blow the dust off my books  ;D
                                                                                                    A/A Update (16/4)

HairyHeretic

Toss up an interest check and see who nibbles. WFRP isn't really my thing. There tend to be 40k RPGs of one variety or another every so often, but they don't seem to have the best of luck in lasting, unfortunately :/

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Keefie

I love Warhammer. Right now i'm just counting down the hours till gaming club tonight so i can playtest my new army list.
I only play warhammer fantasy (tabletop wise) because to me, it's just far better than 40k but i ain't here to debate that.
I also love WFRP, only ever played it twice. Once ages ago, don't know the edition but i played the recent edition with the new dice system and i enjoyed that too!
So if you're starting something up, i'm in. Though doing it online is fairly new to me, only ever done it irl.

ryanmcallister80

Well, I might stick something in the 'looking for group games' thread, will have to see if I have time myself to run another game as I've got commitments on another site with a SLA Industries game I run. Plus several RPs here.

But maybe I can work something out. It would be 2nd edition as that's the one I have - though I have the Enemy Within campaign.

Callie Del Noire

I got almost all 2nd edition WFRP Books. Always wanted to try a rune smith. :)

Jacqueline

I only know bits of Warhammer 40000, I read a book or two about the Eldar, but that's about it I'm afraid.

Hemingway

I play both Fantasy and 40K. I have a fairly sizeable Dark Elf army for Fantasy. A Dark Elf army that sucks, I hate to admit. Cold One Knights are awesome to look at, but building an army around them doesn't seem to win me any battles.

For 40K, I collect a few different things. That is to say that I have a small Tau army, an even smaller Dark Eldar army, and a few models of Grey Knights. The Grey Knights, coincidentally, are probably the largest 40K army I have points-wise. I managed to squeeze 1000 points into 7 models. I guess that's sort of to be expected when you're using Elites that are on par with or better than most characters in the game, as Troops. I haven't had a chance to test them, sadly.

Amethyst Dreams

Never tried to make a Dark Elf army around the cold one knights, lol.  Two words.  Repeater.  Crossbows.  And lots of them.  The sheer number of dice you can roll at any one time can freak out an opponent and get them moving to reach the repeater crossbowmen which has quite often gotten me in a position for flank attacks!
                                                                                                    A/A Update (16/4)

Hemingway

Well, I tried to build my Dark Elf army around the concept of the army of a noble or a city. Hag Graef, specifically. Because I'm a Malus Darkblade fanboy. It has no Khainites, no monsters besides Cold Ones for mounts, and just one sorceress.

The core of the army is regular warriors, repeater crossbowmen, two units of cold one knights, two RBTs, and a small unit of Shades. Shades are awesome. I learned that the hard way. I also have some Black Guard I mean to include, but haven't used yet due to point restrictions.

I have, uh, never won a game with this army.

MiaKage

I like the lore and setting of the warhammer games, i've read a couple warhammer 40k books.
On/Off
A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back because the scorpion cannot swim. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."
The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"
The scorpion replies: "But, little frog, I can swim."

Amethyst Dreams

Anything in particular that captures your imagination MiaKage?
                                                                                                    A/A Update (16/4)

MiaKage

I love the struggle the Imperial guard go through to protect humanity. And the whole techpriest worshiping a machine god, hehe.

On/Off
A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back because the scorpion cannot swim. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."
The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"

CmdrRenegade

I still like the lore of 40k and Fantasy, but my armies (Space Marines: Salamanders and Saim-Hann:Eldar) are soon to be on the way out.  I don't like tournaments and I don't like the fact that now every Space Marine is just a color scheme unless the Space Marine is a Dark Angel, Blood Angel, Space Wolf, or Black Templar. 
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

meikle

I've tried to play WFRP before but I've never seen the games get very far.

I played Dark Heresy once and our psyker killed the whole party in the first session.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Callie Del Noire

So far, I need another 800 or so xp to get my scout to ghost strider.  But with a Ballistic Skill of 78, Im having fun.

Cold Heritage

I wanted to try WFRP, but then my friend who actually knew about it told me you played like rat catchers and were meant to just go and die in a ditch. I really kind of wanted to play like a Chaos Warrior or a Norsca raider or one of the Empire's many knights or something.

I have Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Death Watch. I'm sort of on the fence about Black Crusade, because the way they described being aligned with the chaos gods sounded more complex than I wanted to mess with for being a guy with a huge chainsword chaining things in the face. I also really think that chaining things in the face FOR THE EMPRAH is just more viscerally satisfying than chaining things in the face for any of the ruinous powers. Stomping on a tau's face with any kind of boot just doesn't mean anything to me unless my character is doing it IN THE EMPRAH'S NAME.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

MiaKage

I always wanted to try Dark Heresy, it seemed like it could be fun. I like games where the risk of death is always just around the corner, adds spice to the game   :-)
On/Off

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Cold Heritage on November 07, 2011, 11:35:35 PM
I wanted to try WFRP, but then my friend who actually knew about it told me you played like rat catchers and were meant to just go and die in a ditch. I really kind of wanted to play like a Chaos Warrior or a Norsca raider or one of the Empire's many knights or something.

You can play those characters, but you have to work up to them. You don't get to play them right from the start.

I have Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Death Watch. I'm sort of on the fence about Black Crusade, because the way they described being aligned with the chaos gods sounded more complex than I wanted to mess with for being a guy with a huge chainsword chaining things in the face. I also really think that chaining things in the face FOR THE EMPRAH is just more viscerally satisfying than chaining things in the face for any of the ruinous powers. Stomping on a tau's face with any kind of boot just doesn't mean anything to me unless my character is doing it IN THE EMPRAH'S NAME.

Ecept that chaining things in the face for the Ruinous Powers gets you fantastical abilities, and if you do well enough, the ability to go on chaining things in the face forever :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Callie Del Noire

I wanted to try WFRP, but then my friend who actually knew about it told me you played like rat catchers and were meant to just go and die in a ditch. I really kind of wanted to play like a Chaos Warrior or a Norsca raider or one of the Empire's many knights or something..

Yeah but every career has its perks. Rat catcher gets resistance to disease. (which is helpful later on if you meet the skaven).
My character started as a hunter in the game we play. Lots of skills and talents. By the time I get her thru ghost strider, she'll be one of the sneakiest folks you'll never see in the woods.

Thing isin WHFRP you don't start off as a vampire hunter,you have to build to it.

Craz

I used to play Fantasy and 40K a lot, but I got out of it when it got too...competitive for my tastes. My group plays Mordheim occasionally, though.

SinXAzgard21

I was wondering if anyone was playing Warhammer online?
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.