Name pending plot agreement

Started by ninseineon, April 15, 2013, 09:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninseineon

Hi Corbin! I loved the idea you had and even have a character who would be fantastic in this setting! She's not a bender at all, so she could easily be on either side of the conflict. Let me give you a brief biography for her and you can see if she fits your idea or if I should tweak her a bit.

Etsuni is an unusual name for an Earth Kingdom girl, but Zuang Rock is an unusual Earth Kingdom town. It's situated on the northwest coast of the Earth kingdom, an easy journey from any of the four nations. Every year for generations the town has hosted a gathering of strong benders to showcase their skills. Well, up until recently they have anyway. No bender wants to show up at such a public gathering with all the current threats. But for years the town was a tiny cultural hub with art from every corner of the world.
Etsuni's parents met at one of these exhibitions. Chao Bai-ma won all his fighting competitions, and with his talent and wealthy family he could have any woman he liked. He believed that the strength of bending was determined by the parents, so he chose a gifted earth-bending sculptor to give him a son. Instead, his wife struggled through a very rough birth to give him this weak, blue-eyed daughter. Disappointed, he let his wife name her as she pleased. It only disappointe him more when the girl was given such an odd name.
The girl grew fast, though. She was taller and more slender than the other girls in the town and it earned her a hefty bit of teasing. Poor Etsuni was forced by her father into years of earth-bending classes in the hopes that she would manifest, but even with perfect forms she couldn't move a pebble. To give the girl some confidence, Etsuni's mother encouraged her to learn swordsmanship. She took to it like a duck to water.
After Etsuni's mother died, her father became more distant and demanding. He belittled the young woman for her lack of bending and mocked her swordfighting as a worthless skill. He refused to pay for her training or her equipment, so she started working in a teahouse to pay for her hobby. Then he stopped paying for her at all. Though he was the richest man in the town, Chao refused to feed or clothe her. 
One night, a village elder came to Etsuni's father's estate to try and plead for the girl. Etsuni overheard the conversation and her father claiming that she was not his child after all! That was enough for her! Without even saying goodbye or quitting her job, Etsuni packed her things and walked out of the town. There was a whole world to see, maybe she would find someone to teach her and make her stronger than any bender.

So from here she might go off and look for the group that are killing the benders, or she might offer her sword to the Avatar and join up with him. I'm game wither way, and I'm willing to change her around as needed.

Corbin

Sounds awesome.

I plan on using a waterbender, if that's okay.

And he already knows Fire and Air bending, the only thing left is Earth.

So, we can start the story off by having him arrive in the Earth Kingdom?

ninseineon

Sure! Probably after she's left home? How do you think they should meet?

Corbin

Hmm, he could be traveling the streets after training and they just bump into each other? Or she could be watching him train and she says after to talk to him?

ninseineon

It would make sense for her to watch him train, especially if he's bumbling through earth bending. She may not be able to bend, herself, but all those years of training gave her great understanding of the theory. And anybody brave enough to bend in public is sure to snag her attention.

Corbin

LOL. Good!

So, anything else we need to discuss before starting?

Sorry I haven't been on but work has gotten hectic for me.

ninseineon

I don't think so. I'll be happy to start, but it will have to wait until I get home from work.posting from my phone on the bus rigbt now, and I don't think I could get much of a post this way, lol.

Corbin

ninseineon

((holy crap, sorry for that delay. I guess wedding season is in full swing now, lol. I've had to make so many cakes this week. Let me know if you need anything added or changed!))

This town was like so many others. It had the same inn, the same little teahouse, the same general store and the same frightened townsfolk. In fact, Etsuni was beginning to wonder if the Earth Kingdom actually had any other towns. They all seemed to be this same village, just altered a little and copied from place to place. As always on nice days, the slender young woman bought her breakfast from the innkeeper (His name was Lee, wasn't the last village run by a Lee too?). She walked along the dusty main road for a while before deciding to go eat in the park on the eastern edge of town. There were rarely any people there, so she liked it.
Etsuni wasn't unfriendly, but after leaving home she had noticed that most people didn't trust her. She was taller than most people she met and didn't have nearly their bulk. Her hair was different too, a wavy mass of dark brown instead of the usual straight black. It probably didn't help that she carried her sword with her, too. A stranger with a sword on her hip wasn't exactly welcome these days. So, Etsuni had developed a habit of moving on from towns fairly quickly. She would get whatever work she could, then leave once the job was done. It kept people from asking too many questions that she couldn't answer. 
This town had a week or so left, she figured. The farmers were nervous about market days, so she had been acting as a guard for many of them. They seemed grateful and were nice enough to leave her alone.