When in Rome [OOC thread]

Started by Valerian, September 08, 2009, 03:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

Salve!  Remember not to give anything away here!  But otherwise, chatter all you like.  :)  A brief Latin glossary is forthcoming.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

CirclMastr

Tua consilia omnia nobis clariora sunt quam lux.  Tu delenda est.
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Valerian

I guess we have our motto now.  Heh.

Here's the promised glossary, of a few helpful words and phrases that every good Roman should know; and a big thank you to country for most of them.

abra - a maidservant
circus - an enclosure for races or games
damnati - condemned criminals
domus - a one family city house (one to four storeys)
flumen - river
forum - an open air spare for public business
horti - gardens
insula - a building for multiple occupancy (between three and twelve storeys high)
maximus (maxima) - biggest or greatest
macellum - an open air market
probi homines - literally good men; an elected body of citizens forming a common council
saepta - the centurate voting area
salve! - a common greeting, literally 'be well'

Money (really complicated, so these are only some of the more frequently used coins):

1 silver denarius (plural denarii) = 2 silver quinarii = 4 bronze sestertii

One denarius was probably a fairly standard daily wage for an unskilled laborer.

More fun stuff:

Julia Felix, your former hostess, is named for a woman who actually lived during Roman times.  She was a landowner who had a summer home in Pompeii, as many of the wealthier Romans did.  Hers was a villa that took up an entire city block.  It was damaged in an earthquake in 62 A.D., after which she began renting it out to help pay for repairs.  Part of the villa was also converted into lavish public baths.  After Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D., her villa was lost for centuries, but was in fairly good condition thanks to having been buried.

I was always just fascinated by her name when I first heard it as a kid.  It seemed so strange to me, that an ancient Roman would have a name that wouldn't be out of place today.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Marguerite

*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Kip

*reclines on his lounge and looks around for the servants*

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Ryven

D:  It has started without me!  *cries*  I shall wait for the next one.

Edit:  Oops!  I AM in it.  Thought you already gave out roles, but I am mistaken.

Valerian

No, it hasn't officially started yet, never fear.  I'm still double-checking on who's in and who's out.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Josietta

*settles in by the fountain and lounges as a nice strapping topless young man feeds her grapes*

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Aiden

Hey! I'm the Emperor...why am I feeding you gra...
*Watches Josie eat grapes*
Never mind...

Josietta

*grinning up she revels in the ideas of having the Emperor in her pocket*

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Aiden

Ryven

Quote from: Josietta on September 10, 2009, 12:06:41 PM
*grinning up she revels in the ideas of having the Emperor in her pocket*

It's not an unusual concept.  Go for it!

Josietta

hahaha... Most definitely there ;)

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Marguerite

Aye no wonder I thought Val left me out again.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

country

Tchh! Tchh!  Romans didn't wear pants, or knickers, and no pockets. 

Siberian

When Xerxes, King and God of the Persians demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms before the battle of Thermopylae, King Leonidas responded with but two words 'Molon Labe'  (Come and take them).  Will you stand for what you believe in?

"Ons and Offs"

Kanrya

Valerian

Well, since that will put the game at thirteen, one over my usual limit, that's an end to the recruitment phase.  Heh.  I like to encourage new players, though, and I hope everyone's anxious to get started, so we'll just get underway shortly.  PMs will arrive for everyone shortly with their roles; I'll post to give everyone the go-ahead, and we can start conspiring!   ;D
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

Right.  Everyone should now know who they are.  :D

If anyone needs any rules clarifications, post them here or PM them to me.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

I love how everyone's giving themselves Roman-style names.  Hee.

Did you know?  Breakfast (jentaculum) in Roman times was generally a small meal and usually consisted of some combination of bread, salad, olives, cheese, fruit, nuts, honey, and cold meat left over from dinner the night before.  This meal was usually eaten at or shortly after dawn.

Lunch (prandium) was usually eggs and bread, perhaps a little meat; and dinner (cena) was, in wealthy homes, usually a huge feast, featuring hors d'oeuvres such as radishes, mushrooms, oysters, and sardines; a main course of fish, shellfish, meats such as wild boar or venison (and in the very richest homes, also peacock); an offering to the gods of wheat, salt and wine; and a dessert of stuffed dates, honeyed bread, honey-sweetened fruit, or poppy seeds mixed with honey.

The average Roman, however, ate mainly bread and porridge, sweetened with honey.  Cheese was also popular with the lower classes, as was sausage, domestic fowl, eggs, fish and shellfish.  Wine was drunk with every meal, only the quality varying from the rich to the poor; but always watered down, spiced, and/or heated -- undiluted wine was considered barbaric.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

Just as an FYI, Maeven has very limited to no net access right now, but hopefully she'll be able to vote sometime today.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Maeven

Yes, I'm sorry guys.  I'm back now and heading over to read the the thread and vote. Mea culpa!
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Siberian

When Xerxes, King and God of the Persians demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms before the battle of Thermopylae, King Leonidas responded with but two words 'Molon Labe'  (Come and take them).  Will you stand for what you believe in?

"Ons and Offs"

CirclMastr

Quote from: Valerian on September 14, 2009, 05:52:05 PM
I love how everyone's giving themselves Roman-style names.  Hee.
Just be glad I resisted the temptation to name myself Circus Maximus. ;D
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Ryven

Quote from: CirclMastr on September 17, 2009, 03:26:36 PM
Just be glad I resisted the temptation to name myself Circus Maximus. ;D

Do it!