Looking for games epic in scope

Started by Inkidu, December 15, 2013, 03:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Title kind of says it all, but I'm looking for a game that's just epic in scope, a big sprawling adventure. I don't really care about the genre. I just feel like losing myself in a good game that's really well thought out lore-wise, or even has a lore worth reading.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Null

Oblivion is the greatest example of what you are looking for ( least in my opinion ) the world is massive and open, and the lore is plentiful and extremely interesting. Skyrim and morrowind  to mind, but I think oblivion is best.
I was younger then, I wasn't afraid of anything, I didn't think about dying for a second. I thought I was invincible. Then I met her. Before me, my world shattered. I wanted to live, I started to think like that; for the first time I was afraid of death. I had never felt like that before.

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 15, 2013, 03:12:52 PM
Oblivion is the greatest example of what you are looking for ( least in my opinion ) the world is massive and open, and the lore is plentiful and extremely interesting. Skyrim and morrowind  to mind, but I think oblivion is best.
Okay, my bad. I've played all the Elder Scrolls games. Those don't count. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Null

Then I guess.... Dragon age? That's a game you can lose yourself in... Um.... Grand theft auto 5? XD
I was younger then, I wasn't afraid of anything, I didn't think about dying for a second. I thought I was invincible. Then I met her. Before me, my world shattered. I wanted to live, I started to think like that; for the first time I was afraid of death. I had never felt like that before.

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 15, 2013, 03:51:07 PM
Then I guess.... Dragon age? That's a game you can lose yourself in... Um.... Grand theft auto 5? XD
Played both.

HairyHeretic

The Mass Effect trilogy? I've heard good things about it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 15, 2013, 03:55:43 PM
The Mass Effect trilogy? I've heard good things about it.
Played all of them.

Now you see my dilemma...

It's hard to find many games like that. :\

Null

I'm struggling here man.... Um.... Minecraft? Gah. That's all I got.

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 15, 2013, 04:00:20 PM
I'm struggling here man.... Um.... Minecraft? Gah. That's all I got.
Eh... I've only ever been able to play the pocket edition.

Sel Nar

Red Dead Redemption.

Deus Ex (1 or HR).

The Thief Trilogy.

Fallout, 2, and New Vegas.

HairyHeretic

Bioshock? Assassins Creed? I haven't played either of them, but again, heard good things.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: Sel Nar on December 15, 2013, 04:07:54 PM
Red Dead Redemption.

Played it.

QuoteDeus Ex (1 or HR).
Played it.

QuoteThe Thief Trilogy.
Can't get a hold of it. Might not run on my computer too.

QuoteFallout, 2, and New Vegas.
Played it.

Harry: Played and and played.

HairyHeretic

That pretty much exhausts my suggestions. I'm more of a strategy gamer myself :)

Have you considered the SWTOR MMO. It's FtP now, if you don't mind the restrictions, and some of the class storylines are pretty decent. Might not be quite as in depth as you want, but could give you a temp fix :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 15, 2013, 04:22:03 PM
That pretty much exhausts my suggestions. I'm more of a strategy gamer myself :)

Have you considered the SWTOR MMO. It's FtP now, if you don't mind the restrictions, and some of the class storylines are pretty decent. Might not be quite as in depth as you want, but could give you a temp fix :)
Can't do MMOs.

Who says their aren't epic strategy games?

Null

Any fire emblem? They are usually huge games with lots of lore.

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 15, 2013, 04:36:07 PM
Any fire emblem? They are usually huge games with lots of lore.
I've got a few but I've played all I've got.

Chris Brady

Batman; Arkham City?  Arkham Origins?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Inkidu on December 15, 2013, 04:23:36 PM
Can't do MMOs.

Fair enough

Quote from: Inkidu on December 15, 2013, 04:23:36 PM
Who says their aren't epic strategy games?

There are, but they're not really storyline ones :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 15, 2013, 05:07:06 PM
Fair enough

There are, but they're not really storyline ones :)
Well. They might not have a good story, but their are ones that craft a world of scope and substance. :)

Lux12

Not sure if they qualify, but Dragon Age Origins, Borderlands 2, and The Witcher 2.

Inkidu

Quote from: Lux12 on December 15, 2013, 05:15:19 PM
Not sure if they qualify, but Dragon Age Origins, Borderlands 2, and The Witcher 2.
Played it, don't like the series, and played it respectively.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Inkidu on December 15, 2013, 05:10:04 PM
Well. They might not have a good story, but their are ones that craft a world of scope and substance. :)

A world? I prefer 4X games where I can conquer many worlds, species etc etc ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 15, 2013, 05:34:44 PM
A world? I prefer 4X games where I can conquer many worlds, species etc etc ;)
I've played 4X games that have a universe. Sword of the Stars comes to mind.

HairyHeretic

Yeah, I've played quite a few of them, from Master of Orion onwards. Never found one that quite pushed all the right buttons for me, but I've enjoyed them still :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lux12

Once again, it's a bit older, but what about the Summoner Series.?

Crimson Caine

If you don't mind going old school Jade Empire is pretty epic with a very Asian flair.  You can download it off Xbox.  It's one of my all time favs.  Beyond that, most of the other ideas I have have been done.  Knight of the Old Republic one and two, not the MMO, is nice with a someone epic feel.  I don't know if they have that one on Xbox but I know it's on Steam I believe.  And the old Jedi Knight series has a touch of epic in it as it goes on.  Though I have no idea the availability of that one.
The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing. – Aleister Crowley
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread
CC's Disappearing Routine (A/A)

Inkidu

Quote from: Lux12 on December 15, 2013, 05:49:58 PM
Once again, it's a bit older, but what about the Summoner Series.?
Huh, I'll look into those, but I don't know what platforms they might be on or how many games there might be.

Crimson Cain: I've played all those.

Null

Maybe Far Cry games? Particularly the 3rd one?

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 15, 2013, 05:57:21 PM
Maybe Far Cry games? Particularly the 3rd one?
Payed the third one. No real interest in the first two because of some of the strangeness I've heard about. :\

BraveEarth

Maybe Dwarf Fortress, although that's more getting lost with what you can do with it.

Inkidu

Quote from: BraveEarth on December 15, 2013, 06:06:08 PM
Maybe Dwarf Fortress, although that's more getting lost with what you can do with it.
I play the occasional game. My plan is to get good enough to make a bunch of fortress of truly impressive magnitude so my adventure mod characters can play around in them.

I'm failing, miserably. :P

Revelation

Have you tried Demons and Dark Souls for the PS3/360/PC? Though only Dark souls is on the latter two.

Inkidu

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 15, 2013, 07:29:58 PM
Have you tried Demons and Dark Souls for the PS3/360/PC? Though only Dark souls is on the latter two.
I've played Dark Souls. Didn't like it. Had good atmosphere, but I found it had a myriad of issues that when combined with its brutal difficulty that made playing it a bore. The battles which I thought would feel epic just became trial-and-error fests.

consortium11

Considering the games you've listed there's a good chance you've played at least some of these (and I've left out some that I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned playing), but anyway...

On the RPG front:

Planescape Torment
Arcanum
Vampire Masquerade: Redemption (with fan patches/mods... the original even patched is still a horribly buggy mess).
Shadowrun Returns
Pretty much any game by Spiderweb Software/Jeff Vogel
Betrayal at Krondor (brilliant game but showing its age)
Wasteland (really showing its age)
Deus Ex (Primarily 1 but 2 and HR have some interesting ideas/concepts)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (a really good hack/slash RPG)
Anachronox (criminally underrated RPG)

In other genres, Sins of a Solar Empire (a sort of 4X/RTS hybrid) has no "story mode" or the like but a vast amount of pretty well written lore. Thief 1 + 2 are both great and Psychonauts (a brilliant platformer) has an excellent setting and atmosphere.

Edit: Should chuck in System Shock 1 + 2 as well... truly brilliant atmosphere in both games.

Oniya

I have to say, I got nicely lost in the really old-school Might and Magic games.  You'd probably have to use a DOS-box to get them to run on anything above XP, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on December 15, 2013, 08:17:16 PM
Considering the games you've listed there's a good chance you've played at least some of these (and I've left out some that I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned playing), but anyway...

On the RPG front:

Planescape Torment
Arcanum
Vampire Masquerade: Redemption (with fan patches/mods... the original even patched is still a horribly buggy mess).
Shadowrun Returns
Pretty much any game by Spiderweb Software/Jeff Vogel
Betrayal at Krondor (brilliant game but showing its age)
Wasteland (really showing its age)
Deus Ex (Primarily 1 but 2 and HR have some interesting ideas/concepts)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (a really good hack/slash RPG)
Anachronox (criminally underrated RPG)

In other genres, Sins of a Solar Empire (a sort of 4X/RTS hybrid) has no "story mode" or the like but a vast amount of pretty well written lore. Thief 1 + 2 are both great and Psychonauts (a brilliant platformer) has an excellent setting and atmosphere.

Edit: Should chuck in System Shock 1 + 2 as well... truly brilliant atmosphere in both games.
I've played Arcanum. I don't know if Planescape would be up my alley. It's a version of D&D I don't play. I'm not sure about Wasteland and Battle at Krondor. Didn't like Dark Massiah, and I hear Anachronox is an open love letter to JRPGs (a genre I'm kind of tired of) and I heard it ends on a large cliffhanger or setup to a sequel that never came because of Daikatana. :P

System Shock doesn't strike me as epic of scope. Doesn't mean it's bad, but I'm looking for big sprawling adventure. :

Null

( not sure if it has been mentioned yet )

Bioshock series? Great combat and graphics

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 15, 2013, 09:05:14 PM
( not sure if it has been mentioned yet )

Bioshock series? Great combat and graphics
Yep, played all the Bioshocks

EDIT: Summoner is a no go. I don't have a PS2. :\

Sabby

The Wii has some great RPG's, like Xenoblade and Pandoras Tower.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on December 15, 2013, 11:29:24 PM
The Wii has some great RPG's, like Xenoblade and Pandoras Tower.
Don't have a Wii. :\

Null

I think I'm beginning to see the gravity of your dilemma here xD

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 16, 2013, 07:21:25 AM
I think I'm beginning to see the gravity of your dilemma here xD
Yeah, I'm poor and bored. :\

Sabby

Hmmm, you could try the Legacy of Kane games. I remember those being very epic in scale.

Shjade

Regarding the Thief games:
Quote from: Inkidu on December 15, 2013, 04:12:47 PM
Can't get a hold of it. Might not run on my computer too.

gog.com has them. http://www.gog.com/game/thief_gold http://www.gog.com/game/thief_2_the_metal_age http://www.gog.com/game/thief_3

$5 each at the moment, and gog's versions come patched to work with modern machines for the most part.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on December 16, 2013, 02:43:19 PM
Regarding the Thief games:
gog.com has them. http://www.gog.com/game/thief_gold http://www.gog.com/game/thief_2_the_metal_age http://www.gog.com/game/thief_3

$5 each at the moment, and gog's versions come patched to work with modern machines for the most part.
Well I'll look into it, but there's a reboot coming soon too?

Shjade

I don't know if it's a reboot or just a sequel. Don't see how it matters for playing the older games either way though. ;p
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on December 16, 2013, 04:16:44 PM
I don't know if it's a reboot or just a sequel. Don't see how it matters for playing the older games either way though. ;p
Well, if it's soon, I might as well get the bigger better more open one. :P

Null

Maybe some of the tomb raider series? I grew up with them as a kid and they are extremely fun to play and immersive

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 16, 2013, 04:20:13 PM
Maybe some of the tomb raider series? I grew up with them as a kid and they are extremely fun to play and immersive
I've played a couple but I wouldn't consider them epic. They're usually tightly focused action-movie like. The ones I played at least.

Null

Inkidu

Lux12

Inkidu

Quote from: Lux12 on December 16, 2013, 04:33:21 PM
Ever play RAGE or Diablo III?
Played RAGE, don't play Blizzard games out of principle.

Inkidu

SinXAzgard21

From the looks of it i think you're out of luck.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Aiden

Final Fantasy Tactics , The Original One

Sabby

LeSane

Dark souls. That's all I have to say that game will make you rage then have you playing again. The learning curb is sorta steep though and there is no such thing difficulty settings. With constant threat of online players invading your world.
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Scarification on December 17, 2013, 12:45:54 AM
Dark souls. That's all I have to say that game will make you rage then have you playing again. The learning curb is sorta steep though and there is no such thing difficulty settings. With constant threat of online players invading your world.

Maps never change, know enemies position to win.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

Isn't Final Fantasy Tactics a PS1 game? Trying to figure how I'd get a hold of it.

Sabby: Played it. Lost me about the third disk.

Dark Souls: Just no.

Sasquatch421

There is also Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions on the PSP... I haven't played it yet so I'm not sure how similar it is to the PS1 FFT... If you do have a PSP there is always Star Ocean The First Departure as well.

Other ones I can think of? Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga, if you get the version with the DLC on it as well it comes with the patches. Hmmm or there is Dragon's Dogma, Magna Carta 2 or Tales of Vespia perhaps? The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings is pretty good as well. If you just plain want to have some fun you really can't go wrong with the Ghostbusters. I think almost everyone came back to voice their characters, even the Vigo painting has lines.

Inkidu

Okay, should have done this from the getgo, again my bad.

I've got a laptop not that great for gaming anything past 2007.

I've got a DS lite

and an Xbox 360

Sasquatch421

That does narrow somethings down... I found a DS game called Theresia and it was really good. No enemies you just wake up and need to escape a trap filled place while getting your memories back. It was actually quite good, I just need a DS of my own to play it again. I never got around to playing Sonic Rush Adventure, but my ex's daughter was hooked on it...

The others in my last post were on the 360 and with the One out, some are becoming easier to find... I can't think of much that could be played on your laptop though. I'd say Icewind Dale 2, but I think that took up quite a bit of space.

Galanthor

How about Spellforce, maps that take hours and dozens of them

Null

Any of the pokemons? Those you can play over and over again. * sighs * Diamond will never get old for me.

Inkidu

Quote from: Galanthor on December 17, 2013, 04:44:54 PM
How about Spellforce, maps that take hours and dozens of them
An RTS whose maps take hours to clear? I don't know... Nothing says frustration like one missed objective thirty minutes in. :P

Galanthor

Quote from: Inkidu on December 17, 2013, 05:19:35 PM
An RTS whose maps take hours to clear? I don't know... Nothing says frustration like one missed objective thirty minutes in. :P
Oh. It's hella frustrating. On the other hand it should keep you occupied for quite a while.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on December 17, 2013, 11:08:05 AM
Okay, should have done this from the getgo, again my bad.

I've got a laptop not that great for gaming anything past 2007.

In that case, how about Marathon? Trilogy of FPS games from Bungie in which you, with the help of various AI in varying stages of rampancy (long story) save the human race from extinction. Also the universe, but really, who cares about the universe if we're not in it, amirite.

It's also free.

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on December 17, 2013, 03:06:52 AM
Maps never change, know enemies position to win.

You can change that.
◕/◕'s

Lux12

What about any of the Assassins Creed games?

Inkidu

Quote from: Lux12 on December 17, 2013, 06:53:34 PM
What about any of the Assassins Creed games?
Played all the major releases.

Null

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 17, 2013, 08:51:58 PM
Red Dead Redemption?
Well deja vu is now setting in. :P

I figured there might have been something I missed, and there had been, but not a lot.

Null

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 17, 2013, 09:09:02 PM
something like.... eve online?
Can't play MMOs. Wouldn't play EVE. It's learning curve is shaped like something out of places Cthulhus dwells. :P

Null

Fair enough. I can't even handle my personal finances as much as I would like let alone trying to get a fair share in eve's stock market -_-***

Jayna

Hmm
I strongly recommend all the Neverwinter Nights games as well as Baldur's gate 1 and 2

Also check out Wizardry 8

Icewind Dale

I didn't like Dishonored so I can't recommend it.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is my biggest recommendation if you have not played it. It is a lot of fun, great characters, interesting story in the main and the second expansion (Third was okay, didn't get drawn in like I did the others) But the multiplayer and mods they put out is the big reason they have thousands of modules and so many of them are stories just as good as the main one.

Jayna

Also consider roming Chrono Trigger Legend of Dragoon and Skies of Arcadia

Jayna

Besides that, let me sleep on it and I will have some for you