News:

Main Menu

Dan Brown

Started by robitusinz, July 10, 2006, 12:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robitusinz

I read The Da Vinci Code.  That's not what I want to talk about.  Since I enjoyed TDVC, I went ahead and picked up Angels & Demons.  I enjoyed that one too, even more than TDVC, so I picked up Deception Point.

Now granted, I've worked through Dan Brown's works backwards, and I'm missing Digital Fortress, but I can't help but notice that there's a recurring pattern to his work.  Essentially, he just takes some funky myth, one that is obscure enough to be mysterious, yet mainstream enough that it appeals to a mass audience, gives it a twist, tosses in a villain-who's-not-really-the-villain, then sends the protagonist off down a path that seems pretty predictable to me at this point.

As I read through Deception Point, I just felt like I was a step ahead of the game.  It was pretty disheartening as I read the final chapter of the book to realize that all of the assumptions that I'd made earlier came true.  Again, maybe since DP came before TVDC and A&D, DP wasn't as polished as the other two.  I just don't find Dan Brown to be that great of another...he's too methodical, and predictable.  I feel like I can probably write a Dan Brown-esque novel pretty easily.  Setting:  Greece.  Premise:  The Trojan War.  Villain:  Power-hungry ex-Nazi.  Patsy:  Israeli Mossad agent.  Now toss those things up in a salad bowl, and we're good to go.

Thoughts and opinions on Dan Brown?
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

alahendra

I'm with you on Deception Point.  After finishing school, I wanted a nice, easy fiction read, and I loved the DaVinci Code (haven't read Angels and Demons).  I found the characters in DP to pretty one-dimensional, the plot to be really predictable, and the writing to be cliched.  I was really disappointed...I really had to force myself to finish it, and I only did in hope that it would get better.  It never did for me.

Overall, though, I can't really state an opinion on Dan Brown, having only read two novels, one I really enjoyed and one I hated.  I will admit though it has put me off the idea of reading any more of his stuff.
"You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan
Designed and directed by his red right hand..."

Os & Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5351.0

Xerial

I almost threw my copy of Angels and Demons away when he started going on and on about the bloody Mach 15 space plane, but I plugged on... found the book to be decent, but nothing to rave and create movie hype over... never did finish it, though. Might be because I got into a Noir mood...

robitusinz

Quote from: Xerial on July 10, 2006, 07:27:37 PM
I almost threw my copy of Angels and Demons away when he started going on and on about the bloody Mach 15 space plane, but I plugged on... found the book to be decent, but nothing to rave and create movie hype over... never did finish it, though. Might be because I got into a Noir mood...

I actually enjoyed Angels & Demons quite a bit.  I think it's better than TVDCode, in fact.

Praxis

Quote from: robitusinz on July 10, 2006, 12:10:59 PM

Thoughts and opinions on Dan Brown?

All of his stuff is the same.

I followed the same path you did as far as reading his books.

I knew what was going to happen, and who the villain was by mid-point through Deception Point.

He has his formula for writing, and never strays from it.  Take a 'clever and interesting subject', throw in a "villain/mentor/but I thought he was a good guy" type, and shake.

I'm so "off" Dan Brown now, I never went to watch the movie.

Speaking of movies, when I first started reading TDVC a few years back, the entire time I was thinking, "This got wrote this, to turn it into a movie.  It's written LIKE a movie."  I dug the source material so I stuck with it.

I'm not faulting him for that, he is approximately a zillionaire now, which is; no doubt what he set out to do.

I suppose I've turned into a bit of a snob regarding him, but he seems a bit "steeped in mediocrity" now.

Praxis

A&D is my favourite of his, as well.

Swedish Steel

Since I am, at times, a snob when it comes to stuff like this, I've refused to touch his books with a stick. Looks like the old ball and chains will force me to watch the movie though. Oh well, at least I won't have to read the book.  :)
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

robitusinz

Quote from: Swedish Steel on July 19, 2006, 09:22:45 AM
Since I am, at times, a snob when it comes to stuff like this, I've refused to touch his books with a stick. Looks like the old ball and chains will force me to watch the movie though. Oh well, at least I won't have to read the book.  :)

To be 100% honest, Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons are very worthwhile reads.  The fact that Dan Brown's just a formula writer doesn't exactly detract from both of those books.  Just don't bother reading Deception Point or Digital Fortress.

Eloquent Surreal

I agree with Rob. I was really into Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code but was very disappointed when I just couldn't get past the first chapter of either of the other two novels.
Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained