Original Setting Academy - Recruiting [MUL]

Started by Vandren, January 15, 2009, 04:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

I'm still toying around with this idea, but figured I'd toss it out there to see if it is worth pursuing (ideally, I'd like to see at least 4 interested parties):

Sulpae Academy, a.k.a. Tricademy
- three pillars of the academy are: sorcery, stealth, and swordsmanship (or general combat, but that doesn't make a third "s" ;) )
- the pillars represent programs of study: sorcerer, assassin/spy, and warrior
- in theory, students are trained to work for anyone with the resources to hire them (typically various nobles/nations) as advisors, commanders, spies, and political/social scalpels
- in truth, they form a network of highly trained people loyal to the Academy spread in potentially key positions throughout the civilized lands
- students who "graduate" have a red triangle tattoo on the inner right forearm to denote membership in an elite group
- students can cross-train to some extent (limited by their teachers/masters or talents), if talented and accepted by the masters
- ranks: grandmaster, masters (9, three per pillar), brothers/sisters (teach or field, rank and file members), student
- the academy is relatively hidden, doesn't really advertise itself, and is selective in who it recruits

As stated, a rough skeleton of notes.

My current thought is setting it in an original, largely undeveloped, fantasy world, probably Renaissance level of technological/social development (about 16th century equivalent, so Tudor/Elizabethan period in Europe).  However, it could, I think, be adapted to a sci-fi setting or possibly a more contemporary, although I think still original (non-Earth), one if either of those generates more interest.

Any section on Elliquiy would be fine with me, subject to potential player interest.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Voichin

Hm, you generally don't want your spies to have any distinctive features, tattoos included. Especially tattoos, since every moron can check the existence of one.
Notable for bad manners and lack of empathy.

ONs and OFFs

Silk

Depends if the tatoo is the same as the other pillars, then they could just blag that their one of the other two pillars

Custos Morum

It has been a while, but now Im back again. Therefore, I say this sounds very interesting :D

Vandren

Quote from: Voichin on January 16, 2009, 12:28:55 AMHm, you generally don't want your spies to have any distinctive features, tattoos included. Especially tattoos, since every moron can check the existence of one.

Well, unless you're part of every conspiracy thriller out there, or in a Bond movie.  ;)

But, seriously, yes, that is true . . . in reality.  Obviously, it could be covered with cosmetics, clothing, and/or magic.  And would be small (smaller than a dime).  I'll be open and say that I sort of took the tattoo idea from Eoin Colfer's "Fowl" books where the main character's bodyguard has a small (very small) blue diamond tattoo in the same place to show he graduated from an extremely selective protection school. 

Part of the idea, and I should have been clearer about this, is that the Academy's location is hidden but that it does have a reputation for quality throughout the civilized lands (or galaxy or whatever, depending on scope), within a certain community.  The general public wouldn't necessarily know about it, but sorcerers, assassins, spies, and certain armsmasters might/would.  The idea of the tattoo being that it is a sort of advertisement for the Academy (remembering that outsiders don't know about the infiltration thing).  As far as the "stealth" section goes, if a spy with the triangle is caught, the captor still doesn't know who sent the spy/assassin even if (s)he does discover the tattoo.  (S)He just knows that (s)he has captured a graduate of the Academy who could be working for anyone.

Just some of my thinking.  I'm not 100% behind that aspect and can cut it out if the general interest leans against it.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vandren

I was thinking about this earlier today and the "genre" setting came to mind.  As I thought about it, a few options presented themselves:

1) original fantasy setting (preliminary conception)
2) original SF setting (easily adaptable, I think)
3) contemporary Earth (possible adaptation)

I'm happy to work with any of the three, depending on interest.

Selenity Rose

I like the first idea, the original fantasy idea, the preliminary one. Shall watch this thread to see what others think but I'm in. ^_^

Voichin

Hm. If I was a wealthy aristocrat (provided that we're in option 1, for which I also vote), and I capture someone with a triangle, well... the story will quickly go into the NC-Extreme field, until he/she says who sent him/her or dies in the torture chamber. In which case I'll supply myself with better torturer along with the other security improvements.

Anyways, the whole institution is magical enough to make the signs visible at will, similar to the Exalted caste marks. Or something else in that line of thinking

ONs and OFFs

Vandren

Quote from: Voichin on January 17, 2009, 12:26:13 AMHm. If I was a wealthy aristocrat (provided that we're in option 1, for which I also vote), and I capture someone with a triangle, well... the story will quickly go into the NC-Extreme field, until he/she says who sent him/her or dies in the torture chamber. In which case I'll supply myself with better torturer along with the other security improvements.

Or the individual suicides.

It's also entirely possible, depending on how the Academy works, that someone with a captive may not do this (for instance, if the Academy holds a grudge and goes after people who torture their members to death or refuses to hire out their services to those who offend them).  On the other hand, the individual in question also may not know who hired him/her (standard practice in a lot of real-world freelance spying, both to protect the spy and the employer).  Or the captor may take it as a compliment that someone obviously felt he was a big enough threat to send someone with the Academy's reputation.  :)

But, that's all idle speculation of possibilities, and a slight bit off-track (on my part).

Anyhoo, three interested parties.  I'd like at least one more (it'll probably be tomorrow before I have anything concrete typed up anyway thanks to today's "to do" list).

Vandren

I'd like to bounce this thought off the interested parties:

I'm toying with only accepting student characters at first, until there's a decent base of posts, then allowing instructors, etc.

Any thoughts on that?

Selenity Rose

Was planning on making a student character anyways. ^_^ Female, hadn't decided which side yet.

Inkidu

I can say I'm interested. If the period isn't quite down I would suggest a little more firearm but that's me. Happy to go without.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vandren

And that makes four.

I'll set up a page on the wiki tonight and see what modification might be necessary.

As far as tech goes, for fantasy, I'm thinking about mid-16th century.  This includes matchlock and wheellock firearms (single shot or multi-barrel), but the latter would be expensive.  Both are, of course, very susceptible to precipitation (even a decent mist'll render a matchlock virtually useless).  Which isn't to say that someone couldn't rig up an enchanted version . . . I've got a bit more on tech in my expanded notes.

Oh, any preferences on Elliquiy location?  I've got an empty board I'm still technically moderator of in NC-Exotic (Sorcery University) that I'd happily convert, or it can go elsewhere in Small Games.

Inkidu

Quote from: Vandren on January 17, 2009, 04:12:02 PM
And that makes four.

I'll set up a page on the wiki tonight and see what modification might be necessary.

As far as tech goes, for fantasy, I'm thinking about mid-16th century.  This includes matchlock and wheellock firearms (single shot or multi-barrel), but the latter would be expensive.  Both are, of course, very susceptible to precipitation (even a decent mist'll render a matchlock virtually useless).  Which isn't to say that someone couldn't rig up an enchanted version . . . I've got a bit more on tech in my expanded notes.

Oh, any preferences on Elliquiy location?  I've got an empty board I'm still technically moderator of in NC-Exotic (Sorcery University) that I'd happily convert, or it can go elsewhere in Small Games.
Flintlocks?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Voichin

QuoteI'm toying with only accepting student characters at first, until there's a decent base of posts, then allowing instructors, etc.
Which means that those that come later and are less acquainted with the setting might throw themselves into a role that requires more knowledge of the academy.
I have nothing against the idea, but you need to be careful.
I was also thinking of making a student character - either a swordsman or someone that relies on magic enhanced infiltration.

As for location -whatever suits you most. Own board sounds good though

Inkidu - flintlock mechanisms appear in the early 17th century.

ONs and OFFs

Inkidu

Quote from: Voichin on January 17, 2009, 04:28:24 PM
Which means that those that come later and are less acquainted with the setting might throw themselves into a role that requires more knowledge of the academy.
I was also thinking of making a student character - either a swordsman or someone that relies on magic enhanced infiltration.

As for location -whatever suits you most. Own board sounds good though

Inkidu - flintlock mechanisms appear in the early 17th century.
Yeah I just looked it up. I don't plan on it for this one though. Just maybe some more heavily armed guards than a man with a spear.

Vandren

Quote from: Voichin on January 17, 2009, 04:28:24 PM

Nope, won't happen.  GM/Mod has final say on who can hold what position.

This isn't the first thing I've ever run (20+ years of tabletop RPG experience, 15+ of writing experience).  :)

Inkidu

Quote from: Vandren on January 17, 2009, 05:34:06 PM
Nope, won't happen.  GM/Mod has final say on who can hold what position.

This isn't the first thing I've ever run (20+ years of tabletop RPG experience, 15+ of writing experience).  :)
On that note. System or free-form?

Vandren

I pretty much established freeform early on. 

If it went system, it'd be GURPS 3rd ed and would have to wait a week or so while I worked up the magic system.  :)

Inkidu

Quote from: Vandren on January 17, 2009, 07:25:11 PM
I pretty much established freeform early on. 

If it went system, it'd be GURPS 3rd ed and would have to wait a week or so while I worked up the magic system.  :)
You probably did but the typing keeps me warm. My room has got to be in the thirties (F).

Rhoswen

Hmmm, I think I can handle this and would like a chance to handle weapons and build on skills...Is this still a go? Hope I get recruited ...lol
Hithaear Annuieleni

Vandren

Quote from: Inkidu on January 17, 2009, 07:30:31 PMYou probably did but the typing keeps me warm. My room has got to be in the thirties (F).

I hear ya . . . and feel your pain . . . no wait, too numb.  ;)

Quote from: SwanfeatherHmmm, I think I can handle this and would like a chance to handle weapons and build on skills...Is this still a go? Hope I get recruited ...lol

Sure thing.  Haven't started yet, but the basics are now posted, subject to revision.

Group link:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=71.0

Inkidu

Vandren

Vandren

We are open for business and always open to new players/characters.

Sulpae Academy