INTERNATIONAL BUY NOTHING DAY

Started by Natalie C. Barney, November 21, 2005, 05:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natalie C. Barney

The day after Thanksgiving is INTERNATIONAL BUY NOTHING DAY we who support it encourage you to buy nothing that day and to spend less this season on the Holidays, I suggest to start try to spend half what you normally would for the season.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Jefepato

Passive protests are absurd and will accomplish nothing.

Natalie C. Barney

Well if everyone would spend half of what they normally would at least the individual consumer would be better off. I myself this year am spending a quarter what I did two years ago. This carries on to other spending like I gave up my car a huge expense for someone working at home and near shopping as in can walk or take the bus, now I spend altogether $1000 a year instead of around $7000 a year. Money I can save, put into a retirement account and take a nice trip once a year. A much better use of my money.

What's wrong with spending less, do you want to make your example the US Governement that TRILLIONS in debt?

Natalie Clifford Barney

Jefepato

Oops, my mistake.  I thought this was one of those "protest against corporate America by not spending money" deals (which are idiotic), rather than a "stop spending money because you have better uses for it" thing.

But given that the USA's GDP is over 10 trillion dollars, it's perfectly okay (expected, even) for the national debt to also be in the trillions.

Natalie C. Barney

No I'm all for spending money for pleasure and such, but realisticly the current massive consumer culture cannot survive as in long term. As for national debt why does the US need such a huge debt. I heard a solid number $1.5 trillion is legitimate internal investments such as Treasury Bonds. And must I point out CHINA and other countries are buying huge chunks of this. That cannot be a good thing.

People are shocked about the rate of personal debt and people saving nothing- well when the government is not sensible with spending then why should the people who live in the country of such a government.

BUY NOTHING DAY is just to show we don't have to go with the program and in Europe is popular in spots.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Jefepato

The national debt is not a problem if it's consistently well below the GDP.  Which it is.  It's unrealistic to operate a huge country without a huge deficit.

Not that the government isn't wasting a fair amount of money, of course.

BUY NOTHING DAY might help a few people learn personal responsibility, but if you're trying to "show" anything you're going to be horribly disappointed.

Natalie C. Barney

So a debt is good tell that to any business or individual in debt massively. If we had no major debt minus what we have to have for investments we would have alot more money to spend on important things like NATIONAL HEALTH CARE like other industrialized major countries have except us.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Jefepato

The USA's debt-to-GDP ratio (64.5% in 2005) is less than half that of Japan, and below the EU's average.  Clearly the national debt is not what's standing between us and national health care.

You cannot look at the national debt the same way you'd look at a business or individual with a great deal of debt.  They are totally different concepts.

Lilac

America's full debt, both public and private, is over thirty trillion dollars.

Anyway, even still, a national 'don't buy anything from Wal-Mart, ever again' would be far superior >_>

AutumnFury

Quote from: Lilac on November 22, 2005, 12:48:40 AM
America's full debt, both public and private, is over thirty trillion dollars.

Anyway, even still, a national 'don't buy anything from Wal-Mart, ever again' would be far superior >_>

Amen.
"You may be the King, but watch the Queen conquer."

Open to:
Random PMs. Feel like chit chatting? Go ahead and message, if you dare.

Akioth

*Laughs* Yes no walmart! Bad walmart! (And there putting a supercenter in where I am *sigh* )
Akioth has requested an indefinite hiatus of his account.

Sex on television can't hurt you unless you fall off. 

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.  ~Abraham Lincoln

Jefepato

'America's full debt,' while scary to look at, isn't actually meaningful as a number.

Anyway, what's so wrong with Wal-Mart?

ZK

Heh, I got my X-Box 360 from Wal*Mart. I enjoy the system. But, eh, I'm like what. Dealing with the devil there? Wally World and Microsoft together. O.o Anyway, my wait for the stupid midnight release was worth it. ^_^

I agree partially with the "Buy Nothing Day" and merge it with Wal*Mart. Because Wal*Mart has their Blitz sales on the day after Thanksgiving...

And in my location, there has been mugging, car theft and brawls OVER such a day. And amongst other days... It's going to be cooooold here when it happens.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Menulis

Dammit go out and shop! Consume! What the hell are you trying to do? Start another friggin great depression? Our jobs require you to buy! buy! buy! all these mass produced products and services. Now get out there and visit a restaurant tonight, or tomorrow. Keep me in work at least.  :P
I have nothing to declare but my genius. -Oscar Wilde

BigBlackGamer

Quote from: Menulis on November 28, 2005, 10:45:16 PM
Dammit go out and shop! Consume! What the hell are you trying to do? Start another friggin great depression? Our jobs require you to buy! buy! buy! all these mass produced products and services. Now get out there and visit a restaurant tonight, or tomorrow. Keep me in work at least.  :P

You ever see the John Carpenter movie They Live?  Pretty spooky.

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: Menulis on November 28, 2005, 10:45:16 PM

Did you SEE the results of the current major hurricanes? Whats the point of wasting money on a bunch of stuff when one bad event can take it all away? And for your information I do eat out quite a bit and tip handsomely usually with good service (I'm easy keep my soda glass full, bring the food, smile and don't bother me until I'm done). I tip around 25% in most cases even carry a tip chart with me. And I'm not opposed to spending on Christmas just modestly. My close family and my lover are each getting one gift I carfully looked for all year, something from the heart. Like my dad's getting a Roman era common coin from Claigula's reign in really good condition. My lover who loves French Literature a 1st Edition print of women's poetry. My neice a roll (carry them following) with a set of fine Chef's Knives since she's attending school for that and needs them and blade covers for them. My sister and brother-in-law a romantic weekend at a Bed & Breakfast in Wisconsin. I just favor things people can use a long time with pride (neice) or has value (collectables) or will be a good memory. Much better than a bunch of high tech gadgets and the like. Just this one day I buy nothing and stay home. With the way many acted that day fighting over a VCR or a Laptop locally pushing over shelves I think its a great annual event. Just one day BUY NOTHING!
Natalie Clifford Barney

Ajoxer

I live in New York City. Walmarts are a suicide venture here- Out in a nice suburban area, sure, but in a dense urban area like this, where a small apartment can cost an arm and a leg? Literally, in Chinatown. Not to mention the thefts, the vandalism, the riots...
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Lilian

In las vegas, security guards were dragged from their carts and severely beaten in wal marts.

And a woman pulled out a katana, fully sharpened, and attacked a man with it in the parking lot of a walmart. The man wasnt even trying to mug her or attack her.

I just dont like walmart. Something's wrong about the convenience of buying socks, a video game, a best-selling novel, a potted plant, a car stereo system, AND a japanese pear in the same store.

It's blasphemy!

Celestial Goblin

Quote from: Lilian on September 24, 2006, 11:28:23 PM
And a woman pulled out a katana, fully sharpened, and attacked a man with it in the parking lot of a walmart. The man wasnt even trying to mug her or attack her.

Link please. This is fascinating!

Oneironaut

Speaking as someone who found International Buy Nothing Day fell just before pay-day and was therefore not really trying to buy nothing *sigh* I think IBND has been pushed by groups with different agendas in different places. I find the "Stick It To The Man" groups the most wearying.

For me it's more of a "Stop and think about why you are buying "X" and consider if there are better ways to use your money.". Things like "Can I support my local bookstore by buying "x" book there instead of Borders", etc.. Do you have a local grower's market instead of buying produce that borders on factory-produced (from my experience, it's slightly more expensive, but the difference is pronounced).

I kind of like the Covenanters' idea (They've managed to live for over a year now with the idea that buying something is a _last_ resort) because it allows you to consider alternatives to blindly replacing something with another short-lived consumer product.

Elvi

I agree Sally.
Why have a buy nothing day, if you are careful and thoughtful about what you buy in the first place.
We not only look at what we need and when we need it, but we look at the alternatives and the impact upon others around us when we buy.

(For instance, we needed a new vaccum cleaner, we could have bought it for £20 less on the internet than at a local independant dealers.
We went to the shop and said "We can buy this for £20 less elsehwere, what can you do about it?" In the end they dropped the price by £5 and saved us having to lug it home by dropping it off for us the following morning.

Yes..we were technically out of pocket, but we supported a local business and they are always happy to 'negotiate' over prices on other items now, so in the long term it has saved us on other items we needed.)

Sometimes paying over the odds is worth it in the long run, if you get to know people, then they are more likely to do small favours for you in return.
We use the local farm shop, he's also a garage and sells other bits and pieces.

We don't get charged for the circlip we needed for the car, the half a dozen screws we were short and we also get given the odd things heading up to their sell by date for nothing.
I tell you, the amount of things we've had from them for 'free' far out ways the little extra we had to pay for his fresh produce.

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Swedish Steel

A buy nothing day? That's easy! Try living on a student loan and you'll find that almost everyday is a buy nothing day. :)
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Oneironaut

Quote from: Elvi on March 26, 2007, 06:35:46 AM
I agree Sally.
Why have a buy nothing day, if you are careful and thoughtful about what you buy in the first place.
We not only look at what we need and when we need it, but we look at the alternatives and the impact upon others around us when we buy.

(For instance, we needed a new vaccum cleaner, we could have bought it for £20 less on the internet than at a local independant dealers.
We went to the shop and said "We can buy this for £20 less elsehwere, what can you do about it?" In the end they dropped the price by £5 and saved us having to lug it home by dropping it off for us the following morning.

Yes..we were technically out of pocket, but we supported a local business and they are always happy to 'negotiate' over prices on other items now, so in the long term it has saved us on other items we needed.)

Sometimes paying over the odds is worth it in the long run, if you get to know people, then they are more likely to do small favours for you in return.
We use the local farm shop, he's also a garage and sells other bits and pieces.

We don't get charged for the circlip we needed for the car, the half a dozen screws we were short and we also get given the odd things heading up to their sell by date for nothing.
I tell you, the amount of things we've had from them for 'free' far out ways the little extra we had to pay for his fresh produce.

You reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend of mine where we both agreed that it was almost always worth spending the extra to get something well-made (and therefore long-lasting) than save the money on a budget version you'll wind up having to replace often.

Admittedly the friend in question and I were discussing footwear *shifty look*, but I think it can be applied in a lot of other places.

Vandren

Quote from: Swedish Steel on March 26, 2007, 06:42:18 AM
A buy nothing day? That's easy! Try living on a student loan and you'll find that almost everyday is a buy nothing day. :)

This was my question when I saw the thread . . . how is it different from any other day?

As an addendum to the above - live on a below minimum wage income (3300 US per four months before taxes) while working on a dissertation (rarely leave the house save for going to work or groceries).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

HybridHalf

Pfft, I practice that ideal everyday. I just don't have enough money to buy the items, thats all.  :D ::)