Midnight Mass (vampiric horror)

Started by delle, December 21, 2006, 07:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delle

I just read Midnight Mass by F Paul Wilson and was so inspired that I thought this deserved its own topic.

The world is being overrun by vampires. Crazed bloodsucking hordes. They don't want to romance you, they don't want to get into your knickers, they just want your blood. The cool calculating ones, the really powerful and old ones, are in charge. They have vampiric bodyguards and feral, barbaric wolflike vampires at their service.

The human race is in hiding. The rest of the world is gone. Asia, Europe, all under subjugation. The USA is left, and there's not much visible resistance because the leaders have all been turned into vampires. All that's left are pockets of people who are struggling to survive, or just planning to go down fighting. By day, human cowbows roam the streets, searching for unlucky captures to bring to their vampiric masters. These humans are the dregs of society - not yet turned, but promised an eternity of undeath if they turn against their human compatriots.

Children are especially prized. Women, especially pregnant women. Young women are brought to farms where not only do they serve as a renewable supply of blood, but also used as an occasional reward for cowboys who've done especially well. "Stud time", they call it, a day or two of being let loose among the women prisoners.

Skilled technicians are coerced, through the rape and physical violence to their families, to run whatever technology is left.

The prey are running. And hiding. Women trade sexual favours for food. Men are dragged, kicking and screaming, to their deaths. Occasionally, a cowboy is found killed, ambushed by outraged citizens. Even more rarely, a vampire is found dead, killed in self-defense.

Does this strike your fancy? There'll be horrific scenes of blood and gore in the game. Rape and murder aren't the most horrible things you'll find. Even more horrific are the depths the human race will sink to, to save their own skins. But in times of trouble, heroism shines through even more strongly. Who will you be?

Players, I need players. If someone wants to GM this game, all the better. But if not, I can :)

belsammael

I like this concept, I really do; I'm usually not into all that dark, bleak future stuff, but for some reason I find this one inspiring.. haven't read the books, but I'm getting interested in those too.. ;)

The mind's already boggling what sort of character would fit.. but consider your first player in. :)

MagicalPen

Sounds pretty interesting. Been a while since i was in a vampire game (cant say i've ever read a Vamp-minded book). Whats the status on the game?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

delle

Not off the ground yet... waiting for interested parties.

But I really feel the need to emphasise that this is not an Anne Rice type vampire game where vamps are sexy. This is really more about human evil than vampiric evil.

Protagonist

I like it!  This could be quite cathartic!!  Please keep updating this thread with your progress; I'd like to be considered for participation when you're ready.

delle

Just PM me with a character concept. I'm quite willing to do one-on-one :)

Jester

I like this game too.

I would love to play someone who has a lot to trade at the local outpost. For example he may have his own transport and lots of fuel to trade or an abundance of firepower and ammunition. Or pehaps he has managed to capture some women and has become a slaver. If you can find another female player and perhaps another guy then I am sure we can set up an interesting story.

Jester

Or perhaps playing an "evil" vampire hunter or trader with weapons to kill the vampires who is offering his services to the scared innocents in exchange for.....well I will let you use your imagination.

NikitaFirestar

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Swedish Steel

Pretty interesting. I have been thinking about starting a game inspired by the computer game Hellgate:London, where the Legions of Hell has opened portals into the mortal realm and wreaked havoc, more or less ending the human civilization. A few pockets of human resistance remains, hiding underground in shelters warded by religious symbols that hold the demons back...at least for now.
This game reminds me of that, enough so that I might be interested.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

delle

Hehe, this is a strange time to have a sudden outbreak of interest... but hey, what the hell (pun intended). Let me have some character concepts!

Jester

I have sent three for you to choose from! :-)

delle

Very nice concepts.... though I'll be a little busy these few days. Get back to you before the week is up, though! Any more takers?

NikitaFirestar

I'd love to make a char, just need some time as I'm a bit busy!

Jester

shall i post mine so that she knows what to work with?

RubySlippers

Oops forgot all about this in so many games.  :-[

I still like my idea a brilliant woman scholar that works for the vampires in return for the advantages of being their pet. Not a cowboy and hardly useless I was thinking medicine and genetic engineering looking for a way to improve the food and breed out or temper any undesirable traits like free will. The way things are going any scientist voluntarily working for the new order would be better off than if she was just an ordinary woman. And she would have access to stock to experiment on and would likely be based inside a Farm. Of course there would be horror like having to work for monsters, loving the pure science letting it twist any normal sense of morality and the like. Like the Nazi doctors doing experiments on Jews in the camps they were clearly interested in pure science but it clouded them to the evils of what they did.

I would have her when the horror began locate a master vampire and agree to work with them for the ability to do research, protect her mortal relatives and see they are well provided for and get rewards as they deemed fit. A vampire powerful enough to assure her protection. But in trusth she LIKES her situation she can do experiments in areas before would never be allowed in a civilized scientific community. But how would that effect HER in the long run? Be interesting to find out.

But how to you want character information formatted?

delle

Name:
General Description:
Background:

Jester

Do i need to re-write my ideas?

Also miss slippers ideas wont work at all well with mine will they? perhaps the idea needs to be refined before we are allowed to much creative freedom.

NikitaFirestar

What's more needed, humans or vampires at the moment?

delle

This is a story abut human evil. Vampires in this world, as I see it, act as more a plot catalyst to bring out the worst in humans. Thus players as vampires doesn't work all that well.

Also, you all don't have to be in the same story arc. Your characters might not even meet each other, ever. Though I'll certainly arrange things if you want a mass orgy or something.  ;D

NikitaFirestar

*Laughs* Alright... Well then I'll try to come up with something.

delle

Trying to get a moderator to help me create a sub-forum... :)

Jester

Excellent!

So which of my chars did you like?

delle

All looked OK to me :)
OK, the board is up under Heavy Normal (Freeform)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=319.0

Jester