Interest Check: Legendary Monsters (3.5 DnD)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, November 30, 2014, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, point of campaign is about being big badass monsters who can do once more whatever they wish once they got released but with that they need work with the guy who sealed them (and leaves question can guy reseal them or is it only one time deal to him).

ShadowFox89

Eh, why not. Let me dig out my 3.5 books and see what I can cook up.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

Just remember check my house rule stuff in other thread as it has many changes to core classes (and PrC's).

ShadowFox89

I'm guessing going over the 12 HD+LA is a nogo? Was looking at Nymph for path 1, dragonfire adept path 2, not sure on the third path.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

12 is the limit with the HD+LA in the third path which determines your 'monster stats' besides having paragon creature template. So nymph is out. But Kunoichi got template which gives awesome beauty ability of the nymphs.

indarkestknight

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

Bralani works, HD+LA combined is 11 (so could add +1 template some kind if want to).

ShadowFox89

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1070260

Here's the start of a sheet. Decided to go with Warblade. Not sure what I'd get for the third section of the gestalt.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

I think I'm going to have to forgo the spell-stitched familiar, sadly. ^^; Now that it's looking more definite that Zaer's going to be DM for this game, I've been working out my feats, and I don't have the room for the stitched flesh familiar feat, unfortunately.

...Also, just as a matter of practicality, I feel I should warn everyone else that it may be a good idea to invest in immunity to fear and/or mind-affecting effects as part of your build or equipment.  I'm going to have more than just Marshal auras up, you see...

ShadowFox89

Which means take a Ring of Mind Blank, got it.

Not sure what to go for slot 3. Swashbuckler maybe? I don't suppose we could use a monster class from Savage Species/WotC Web Article for our 'monster' slot?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

You can use paragon class levels in monster slot (which is third path) but no monster class levels (but you can take it either mystic or physical side depending does it provide spell-alike abilities or other mystic powers or not). Example fiend of seduction/temptation falls into mystic side thanks it's mystic powers to make deals.

ReijiTabibito

Zaer, quick question.  The Spellsword PrC in the Complete Warrior book.  Would that be considered physical or mystical?  You need to multiclass martial/spellcaster in order to get to it.

ShadowFox89

Alright, think I settled on WereLion Lord (Dire Lion/Lycanthrope template)/Warblade/Swashbuckler.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

Mystical, as it based on adding spells to your melee swings and need spellcasting power (or other mystic power) to enter. Albeit I think duskblade is all around superior gish core class (and it takes mystic side).

I haven't added it on house rules yet but I had idea duskblade can sacrifice shield proficiency to either focus on dual wielding or wielding heavy weapon. Dual wielding provide TWF and TWF defense feats and 2h version get sudden metamagic feats for widen and later empower spells channeled through using your 2h weapon limited times per day (around 3 times in 18th level).

Sounds interesting concept ShadowFox, but what is mystic side? Warblade does not count mystic.

ShadowFox89

Hmmm... What about replacing Swashbuckler with Druid then?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

Probably.

The plan for fights is to shift to lion-hybrid form and proceed to tear people apart.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sain

Mind blank items are so damn expensive (curse them cheap ass undead), might have to trust a will save of +40 something will saves with guaranteed natural 20, but there's probably more than enough ways to ignore regular save checks.

I'm wondering though, don't you lose the paragon template while doing polymorph/metamorphosis or druid shifting?
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

ShadowFox89

I really can't think of anything else to take on the mystic side, except maybe a psychic class.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

Second question.  There's no racial template that I know of that offers a +12 LA.  (Some dragons might qualify, but I don't think I have access to those.)  So, what do we do with all the rest of the levels in the third track that aren't a part of that?  In essence...if a race template gives +6 LA, where do the other 6 levels come from?

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

indarkestknight

Bluh. Mind Blank is pretty costly, yeah. There's the ring of mental fortitude in DMG II, but it costs 110,000 gp, out of our price range. Can't even craft it to bring down the price, since we can't access mind-blank at our level.

Zaer Darkwail

You can substitute spell with scroll if you meet CL reqs. Albeit it would be weird to need mind blank but need lower CL than needed cast it. Anyways psychic warrior got some changes in house rules.

indarkestknight

Even then wringing yourself the Forge Ring feat would take some doing.

It's only available once you have caster level 12th, and since we get feats on odd levels, you'd have to set up your build so you'd get your bonus feat at 12th HD.

Aaaand even then you'd have to find a way to boost your caster level to 15th to craft that ring.