Battletech 3145 - Recruitment (Open for recruitment)

Started by Blobbe, June 16, 2014, 07:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blobbe

Update:

We are open for one slot for a MechWarrior in a light or medium BattleMech, preferably a recon lance commander.

We are also open for "support" characters; these can either be non-combat personnel such as scouts, spies, facemen, technicians or the like, or alternatively "plot" PCs who provide missions and events.

orderNchaos

New Update!!!

I'd like to get two more mechwarriors to join the game.  We are getting ready to start a new mission and now is the perfect time to bring in some new blood to spice things up.  Female's would be preferable, as there's currently only 2. 

We need to keep mech configurations to known configurations based baseline game rules. 

If you've got an idea for a character please let me know.

Cheers,

Serana

Quote from: orderNchaos on August 23, 2014, 11:59:17 AM
New Update!!!

I'd like to get two more mechwarriors to join the game.  We are getting ready to start a new mission and now is the perfect time to bring in some new blood to spice things up.  Female's would be preferable, as there's currently only 2. 

We need to keep mech configurations to known configurations based baseline game rules. 

If you've got an idea for a character please let me know.

Cheers,

Message sent!

orderNchaos

Alysa

I'm interested as well, sent you a PM with a concept. Would like to hear back before I pitch anything for real, however. Thanks!

orderNchaos

We're looking for about 5 people to join as mechwarriors. 

If anyone is interested, please PM me with a character idea.  Please keep all mechs 3145 standard configuration (no mods). 

Look forward to hearing from you!

Terian

Interested, though I'm not a big follower of Battletech lore, would that be a huge problem?

orderNchaos

What do you mean by "not a big follower"?  You know a little about the lore or you know nothing about the world at all? ;)

Terian

orderNchaos

You're welcome to join as there's a lot of 'unwritten' lore in the 3145 period.  I would suggest looking through Sarna.net first to get a little up to speed before you try building a character.  I will take the time to make sure your character makes sense.  Let me know what you'd like to do.

Terian

Nice to hear that, I'll go do some brainstorming then and see what I can shake out.

ragarth

Hello!

I'm interested in joining up. I have a rough character idea bobbing about my head but I'm having trouble finding a mech to suit. The idea is inspired by the fact that you can sometimes find 75mm artillery used by civilians to trigger avalanches so the avalanches don't happen when they're not wanted. This way people don't die. :-)

The character would have a history doing a similar duty, using a retired mech to trigger avalanches public safety. Then bad stuff leads to becoming a merc. The role I'm aiming to fill is scouting/recon using a light mech. Special skills would be survival and environmental control--with experience triggering avalanches, that would make for a mighty mean tactic to use in a fight.

It's not realistic, but a light mech with a thumper would be ideal. Barring that I've been hunting for something with a mortar, and barring that something LRM. :-) As a recon mech, I'm also interested in jump jets, stealth, and sensors. I've always had a love for the inverted mech style, like the raven and catapult, but I'm still on the search stage. The mech type doesn't need to be old and background fitting since later acquisiton in her background is possible. Any suggestions?

I'm also trying to find a decent world that such a situation might occur in. Someplace that has seen recent conquest that would strip her of her home.

orderNchaos

Thanks for the interest.  It's an interesting concept, you could actually be useful as a mechwarrior and as an anti-mech unit.  I'll take a look at the mechs in the system and see if I find anything that would fit.  Take a look at Sarna.net and see if you can find anything.

Look forward to seeing your character.

ragarth

Thanks. :-) I'm going through the light mechs right now, but there are 125 of them. I'm also not opposed to a quad mech. I'm rather significantly turned off by the humanoid styles though.

What I'm really looking for is something like a raven with the srm-6 dropped and replaced with a clan lrm-5. The leftover weight could go into jump jets and fuzzy dice. :-)

orderNchaos

Remember we're sticking with Stock mechs for now.  A Raven II would be very helpful.  It has a nice sensor/comm/EW suite that could be very useful for our Company.  We can talk about modifications once you get a bit more into the company.

ragarth

Quote from: orderNchaos on October 06, 2014, 01:16:01 PM
Remember we're sticking with Stock mechs for now.  A Raven II would be very helpful.  It has a nice sensor/comm/EW suite that could be very useful for our Company.  We can talk about modifications once you get a bit more into the company.

I was looking at the raven II. I'm a little hesitant about its being a medium mech, lacking TAG, and limiting my future upgrade options (this gives me something to work towards). However the speed boost and tsemp are nice. I'm also looking at the 4LR if that qualifies as stock (I think it does? Its not a custom). If I'm correct in reading sarna, it has the advantages of the 4L with the swap, so that'd be:

Weapons: 3 ER Medium Lasers, MML-7

Equipment: Stealth Armor, Guardian ECM, TAG, Beagle Active Probe, 12 double heat sinks, CASE

If this is correct, then what benefits would the Raven II have over the RVN-4LR for the Company?

As far as character goes, the choice of one of those two mechs makes it easy to be a Capellan. Yay for snowy Russian/Chinese homelands! I'm thinking her home town was a resort city on Tsingtao with a small military garrison. This opens the field for a high value target to end up there and trigger her descent into the world of being a mercenary. I'm thinking that a general with a history of poor treatment of mercenary groups decided to take some R&R at her town. An aggrieved party took this bit of R&R as a chance to mete revenge in a bloody and destructive way. The revenge would necessarily involve some bribery of the local garrison. Unable to pinpoint the exact person or persons involved, but having to blame *somebody*, several members of the garrison were dishonorably discharged and stripped of citizenship in lieu of having enough evidence to execute someone. She insists that she did not accept any bribes, but its only her word... she'll always be tainted with the dishonor of her dismissal, that combined with her new status as a servitor put an effective end to her life as a productive member of the Capellan Confederation.

I'm also trying to figure out what Capellan city and people names are like, any examples you can dig up?

orderNchaos

This is the Raven II from Sarna that I was referring to.
40 tons
Chassis   Hellespont Type R2 Endo Steel
Armor   Hellespont Lite Stealth
Engine   VOX 280 XL
Communications System   Ceres Metals Model 777 with Angel ECM Suite
Targeting Tracking System   Apple Churchill 3000 with Bloodhound Active Probe
Heat Sinks   10 Double Heat Sinks
Speed   118 km/h
Armament   
2 x ER Medium Lasers
1 x MML-5
1 x TSEMP Cannon

As far as the 4LR goes, you'd have some trouble explaining how you got a hold of a high end Raven with Stealth Armor as a disgraced and dishonored ex-cappellan citizen.  It's not impossible, but you'd need to come up with a very compelling story as to how you came up with that type of system.  Also keep in mind that Stealth armor is a fairly rare armor.  From a Merc point of view it might be hard to maintain that level of capability unless you have very lucrative regular work that can keep your armor supply.  That being said, the Raven II has a lot of nice systems and is a pretty robust system for EW and scout hunting. 

As for your character idea, it's not too far off how the Capellans would normally work.  If you want to run a Capellan you can.  Keep in mind it's not that hard to come up with Raven's even outside of Capellan Space.

ragarth

Quote from: orderNchaos on October 06, 2014, 03:04:03 PM
This is the Raven II from Sarna that I was referring to.
40 tons
Chassis   Hellespont Type R2 Endo Steel
Armor   Hellespont Lite Stealth
Engine   VOX 280 XL
Communications System   Ceres Metals Model 777 with Angel ECM Suite
Targeting Tracking System   Apple Churchill 3000 with Bloodhound Active Probe
Heat Sinks   10 Double Heat Sinks
Speed   118 km/h
Armament   
2 x ER Medium Lasers
1 x MML-5
1 x TSEMP Cannon

As far as the 4LR goes, you'd have some trouble explaining how you got a hold of a high end Raven with Stealth Armor as a disgraced and dishonored ex-cappellan citizen.  It's not impossible, but you'd need to come up with a very compelling story as to how you came up with that type of system.  Also keep in mind that Stealth armor is a fairly rare armor.  From a Merc point of view it might be hard to maintain that level of capability unless you have very lucrative regular work that can keep your armor supply.  That being said, the Raven II has a lot of nice systems and is a pretty robust system for EW and scout hunting. 

As for your character idea, it's not too far off how the Capellans would normally work.  If you want to run a Capellan you can.  Keep in mind it's not that hard to come up with Raven's even outside of Capellan Space.

Well, they both have stealth armor, and my understanding is that the Raven II is actually newer (3123) than the l4r (3073). :-) She wouldn't have kept the mech she had when she was a citizen, no. I was thinking she financed a used one. It means she'd be in pretty deep debt to someone. Her having a stealthy mech would be the product of luck. Imagine a "You're lucky, this beauty just came, otherwise it'd be gone. Yeah, the left leg has a little stick if you don't grease it right, and there's a jerk to the launchers, but you probably won't see a Raven II (or 4lr) for sale again" at Elroy's Used Mechs and Parts.

I'm not well versed on how the actual stats will play out in game. So I am a little dependent on you as to which of the two mechs will suit the Company better.

orderNchaos

Well I hate to say it, but the chances of finding a Raven with Stealth armor being sold on the market would be fairly unlikely.  Anything of that nature would have been stripped for valuable parts and left for the wreckers to pick up the rest.  It may be more likely that your character was able to drop a Raven in some sort of a trap.  Maybe incapacitating the pilot when you brought a heavy flow of rocks down on his head with an explosion.  Then you were able to dig out the Raven and escape with it before the rest of his lance mates showed up.  Unfortunately, mechs of that nature are fairly rare, especially in the Republic of the Sphere days after the Jihad where Stone fought to stockpile or decommission the majority of the mech forces.  The only reason that Allia has stealth armor on her Ghost is because she grew up on the planet where they made the mechs and the armor, and the mech was her grandfathers during the Jihad.  Most mercenaries generally can only afford stock market mechs with little to no bling. 

Please don't think I'm trying to downplay your ideas, but since you're not too familiar with the world, I want you to understand why this likely wouldn't make sense.

ragarth

Quote from: orderNchaos on October 06, 2014, 04:27:42 PM
Well I hate to say it, but the chances of finding a Raven with Stealth armor being sold on the market would be fairly unlikely.  Anything of that nature would have been stripped for valuable parts and left for the wreckers to pick up the rest.  It may be more likely that your character was able to drop a Raven in some sort of a trap.  Maybe incapacitating the pilot when you brought a heavy flow of rocks down on his head with an explosion.  Then you were able to dig out the Raven and escape with it before the rest of his lance mates showed up.  Unfortunately, mechs of that nature are fairly rare, especially in the Republic of the Sphere days after the Jihad where Stone fought to stockpile or decommission the majority of the mech forces.  The only reason that Allia has stealth armor on her Ghost is because she grew up on the planet where they made the mechs and the armor, and the mech was her grandfathers during the Jihad.  Most mercenaries generally can only afford stock market mechs with little to no bling. 

Please don't think I'm trying to downplay your ideas, but since you're not too familiar with the world, I want you to understand why this likely wouldn't make sense.

Not a problem, I appreciate the feedback!

How about this instead:

Dishonored, distraught, de-citizened, she was left with very little in the way of options. Unable to afford a mech of her own, she instead started applying her tracking and survival skills to bounty work, bringing in the wanted for cash. It wasn't long before she managed a lucky break: a lance of bounty hunters specializing in taking down the more heavily armored heads had an opening, their fourth, a Raven pilot, recently took a dirt nap and they needed to fill the spot. She got that spot and so spent several good years with the merc-group.

The luck didn't last. On the trail of pirate with a locust, the group followed him into a canyon... where an ambush waited. Pinned in the canyon, being fired from above the canyon walls, the target had called in some friends. She and her lance mates did their best to survive but it wasn't long before she was the only one left standing. As a last ditch effort she emptied her salvos into the canyon walls and ran, giving her dead comrades a burial, along with their attackers.

The loss was crushing. The group had lost its leader and most of its fighting force. The remaining work crew, dropship crew, and sole mech pilot divided the remaining assets and disbanded, leading up to her seeking to join the Black Sun Company.

----------

Such a scenario makes a stealth mech a lot easier to operate since damage from bounty hunting would be lower than that from straight up battle, half the time she'd probably not even take the targets in mechs but rather in bars. Working as a bounty hunter, she'd be able to plan her attack to her advantage and make major use of her mech's stealth capabilities to take down the target. It also plays to the strengths I intended her to have while also giving her a chance to prove her metal post-dishonoring.

Lastly, the scenario also plays better to a Raven II, if that's what you think I should field? I'm still not sure how the height of the raven II would compare to a Raven. I can't find height values so I can't see if the Raven II is less stealthy than its lighter counter part. 5 tons isn't that much in mechs, but small to medium is a category change that may bring with it issues. I'd really like more info from you regarding how the mechs compare.

orderNchaos

I like the character concept and the way the character 'acquired' the Raven.  After talking to the rest of the group, we're thinking keeping things limited to a Standard Raven.  I'm willing to let you have the Raven X variant.  That should give you a large enough combo of things that meet your needs.  Once things get underway, we can discuss adjustments.

Does that work?

King Serperior

Ragarth, if I understand correctly, you are looking for a mech that is designed for utility rather than firepower, no?  And for further narrowing, you don't want a humanoid one, right?  Well, if you can give me a list of 3-4 rough specifications, I can take a look through what I know and see if I can come up with a list of mechs I think might be your thing.   :-)

That is, if you aren't hell-bent on the Raven, of course  ^_^

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

ragarth

Quote from: orderNchaos on October 06, 2014, 07:44:11 PM
I like the character concept and the way the character 'acquired' the Raven.  After talking to the rest of the group, we're thinking keeping things limited to a Standard Raven.  I'm willing to let you have the Raven X variant.  That should give you a large enough combo of things that meet your needs.  Once things get underway, we can discuss adjustments.

Does that work?

Sure, that does the job quite nicely. I had previously looked it over because of the composite internal, but that's a reasonable compromise given the rest of the equipment. The MRM-20 packs an interesting wallop that I'm not sure about, but we'll see how it plays out over time and if I trade it or keep it. It's 8 tons of potential fun to work with. It strips a few items I would have liked but aren't necessary.

The stealth isn't that important to me, it just so happens that the raven models with other features I liked were married to stealth armor. The Raven-X doesn't fit the bill perfectly, but that just makes it interesting in my desire to mod it in the future. It meets my essential 'starting criteria', something that the SRM-equipped models didn't do. The reduced range of the MRM has a lot to do with its being deadfire, so when firing and large stationary targets like mountains, I can probably fudge that a little.

I'll draw everything together in a jiffy and have an official character drawn up tonight.

ragarth

Quote from: King Serperior on October 06, 2014, 07:46:43 PM
Ragarth, if I understand correctly, you are looking for a mech that is designed for utility rather than firepower, no?  And for further narrowing, you don't want a humanoid one, right?  Well, if you can give me a list of 3-4 rough specifications, I can take a look through what I know and see if I can come up with a list of mechs I think might be your thing.   :-)

That is, if you aren't hell-bent on the Raven, of course  ^_^

I really love the raven's form. It's all about piloting in style, y'know.

King Serperior

Quote from: ragarth on October 06, 2014, 08:30:18 PM
I really love the raven's form. It's all about piloting in style, y'know.
No problem at all!  However, if you want to take a look at some nice ideas while you're building your character, here are some recommendations I found:

• Ursa:  Not as utility as you may want, but it's extremely stable and very fast and can preform powerful ramming charges at other mechs, effectively turtling them on their sides or backs.
  • Trebaruana:  Quad mech with heavy, forward-facing long-range firepower and five jumpjets.
  • Stalker II:  Very slow, but very heavily armored and designed to take tons of punishment and counter with ranged assault.
  • Solitaire:  Perhaps a little more humanoid than you may like, this thing is designed to pick off targets that stray too far from the herd then get out.  Not much in the name of utility though, but it's powerful.
  • Osprey:  A fairly quick, fire support mech with surprisingly heavy firepower for it's size and jump jets as well.
  • Osiris:  Hit-and-run type of mech with more emphasis on the running part, it's based off a Clan-tech design, but isn't one, so it's capabilities are slightly less than one of that caliber.

Good luck!  Can't wait to see what you come up with  ^_^

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.