Magic: The Gathering (Discussion)

Started by Dimir, January 06, 2015, 07:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Valentine

Quote from: WindVoyager on January 07, 2015, 05:30:54 AM
Happens in every format, Modern and T2 mostly.  Its called Net Decking, basically copying wining decks and making only very minor changes to it. In T2 around here its net decking and snobby players who net deck and then take it to the local FNM and wining. Red burn decks and land hate are the usual answers to most the net decks since almost all of them are running shock lands.

This is why I prefer casual. Its more laid back and you don't have to have 200$ decks

Yea, I am familiar with term for it and most people do run shocks; which is funny for either burn or land hate. Oh, you taking two damage? Well take three or however more. Oh, you took two damage? It is my turn now? I'm gonna blow up that dual land of yours up. What's that, its nonbasic (assuming if I sideboard Molten Rain in and used it) take an additional two damage. Lets hope the shock was worth it, unless it is dual blue and someone just uses blue to counter a land destruction or burn or something, which is pretty funny cause I saw it happened before to me. Then I just combo blew up both their lands with one spell and creature at the sacrifice of one land and said creature of my own in the end. >:)

Quote from: Geeklet on January 07, 2015, 08:15:35 AM
The good thing about people net decking though, you know what they are playing, and how you can play around it.

This too. I seen my friend who made a modern samurai deck beat a net deck. Can't remember what the guy was playing at time in modern tournament, but he was like 'That's bullshit I want a rematch' and some people were like 'can't believe I lost to samurai.'

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

BushiFire

I appear to be a little late in this conversation, but I am an admitted avid Magic the Gathering player. Been playing since I was 11... which puts that around the second year it was out. I avoid competitive play like the plague though, usually preferring just to have a game night with some local friends and test my creativity by making new decks. Since I've been collecting so long, my collection is ridiculously large (spanning half my bedroom) and theorized by a friend of mine who took three weeks of his time to organize them once out of boredom to be around 70,000 cards >.>

Personally, I am primarily a red player but have a fondness for the cruel mechanics of black. All colors are mean in their own ways of course, and thus I always have decks of all colors made for some brutal but casual intentions. Love all multiplayer formats. Commander included. But I do have a curious question. Anyone ever tried to blend the formats before just out of S&G's? I remember trying out an EDH Planechase Archenemy game once. THAT was interesting.
My O/O

My Personal Project (6 years in the making!)
The Conthetis Accord: World of Totheia (Original RP Universe)

Hemingway

Quote from: BushiFire on January 07, 2015, 08:43:05 AM
All colors are mean in their own ways of course . . .

Except green.

Poor green.

;D

Madame Professor

Quote from: Hemingway on January 07, 2015, 11:01:17 AM
Except green.

Poor green.

;D

My Elf deck would disagree with you, sir. ;D

Quote from: BushiFire on January 07, 2015, 08:43:05 AMAnyone ever tried to blend the formats before just out of S&G's?

Not I. My friends and I tend to stick to casual 3v3 matches.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Hemingway

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 07, 2015, 01:42:56 PM
My Elf deck would disagree with you, sir. ;D

I'd take elves over ... plenty of things!

Sprikut

Green is one of the most heavily used colours in Legacy..theres a reason :3

*hides his assorted netdecks* 

Im mostly a modern player myself. Im looking at manifest and seeing a potential modern deck in the wings based around cloudshift, emrakul and the manifest ability. 

Congregation at Dawn/Index to put Emrakul ontop.
Manifest Emrakul as a 2/2.
Cloudshift Emrakul
Swing with Emrakul

Win :D

I think its too many cards though. Not gonna combo out properly enough.

RubySlippers

I had a game today against a fancy dragon based deck, told he was a big regional winner, he was kicking tail until he met me his tactics failed when my weenie monsters were largely unhittable by him and then when he did get out his dragons he found out the decks other weapon as he found dragon after dragon locked down with two enchantments each one. Then I went on the offense pinging him to death with my magic spell immune creatures. Then said I cheated and said my deck was not legal. I noted it might be old fashioned goodness but works, and has no rare cards and only a few uncommons and is legal and I did note it was a fun deck using older cards with not one rare before we started. I get that in his mind equaled bad since his deck cost I would guess with his cards over $150. Then I said its your turn since you lost you go first he stormed off as I reshuffled since it was supposed to be the best two out of three games assuming he was going to keep playing.

I always trusted building ones own deck, with your own strategy, and mastering it will do better than a Net Deck or Theme Deck rebuild if the player making the deck is creative and follows a strategy regardless of the collectible card game. And this game has so many awesome and low cost cards if one builds for fun not current modern tournament formats.

WindVoyager

I get a lot of crap because I can't afford 40+ for a playset of shock lands so I just use the much cheaper pain and filter lands and never have issues with mana screw.

A lot of people hate my mono blue Ula's Temple deck since its beaten down expensive net decks. Its dirt cheap so its funny to beat expensive decks. Almost all my decks are cheap, I'm working on a mono red one full of burn spells and a U\G undying. As someone already pointed out there are so many cheap cards so you don't need the expensive ones

Drake Valentine

Funniest troll deck I seen was

4 Shaharazad
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Isochron Scepter
4 Twincast
4 Reverberate
4 Fork
4 Reiterate
4 Bosium Strip
4 Increasing Vengeance
24 Land

Challenge people to see if they can make it back to the real game.

I would use it, if one of the cards wasn't banned for obvious reasons. xD

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Hemingway

Man. I long for the day I get to cast a Reiterate targeting Rise of the Dark Realms ( or something similarly nasty ) in Commander. It will be a good day.

Geeklet

Quote from: Drake Valentine on January 09, 2015, 06:50:34 AM

That top card, you should list it by its real name. "Punch me in the face, please" :P

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Geeklet on January 09, 2015, 01:10:55 PM
That top card, you should list it by its real name. "Punch me in the face, please" :P

Shazception. A subgame within a subgame within another subgame. Throw Karn in for restarts for endless subgames.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Drake Valentine on January 09, 2015, 06:50:34 AM

That's what friendly games are for, where you just need to follow the basic but not tournament rules.

Drake Valentine

U/G modern troll

Run Hedron crab (playset)
Run both instant copy spells, cackling counterpart and that other one that was in (Return to Ravinica?) set.
Run crap ton of fog variations (Regular fog, fog that populates, werewolf fog, think there are some more than just those three but that is 12 possibilities of fogging, adjust as see fit for main/side)
Run few low drop counters just in case they try to kill or exile hedron crab army
Run two or three(won't really need playset) Progenitor Mimic (and/or other clone creature spells.No, seriously, Progenitor Mimic a Hedron crab is the funniest damn thing you can do in MTG)
(For extra trollage make sure you have dual lands for white for splash in side board of instants to make creatures/permanents indestructible in case they play uncounterable supreme verdict on poor Hedron crabs)

Create army of Hedron crabs
Drop land
Mill opponent out
Watch em flip table
Forever be hated in magic for being that guy/girl

Other side to consider, things that may exile their graveyard in case they try to troll your milling with some stupid Emarakul or other big three Eldrazi(think all three legendary of Eldrazi did that reshuffling BS)

Things to note, if you don't get a Hedron crab out, chances are you may lose game, mulligan till you have at least 1 in your hand.
Try to hold onto Hedron crab till you have way to protect it
Remember 1 Hedron crab makes them mill 3 every land fall. More crabs, more multiples of three hitting, more mill. If you mimic it, you might as well say GG(assuming they haven't already deck out by the time you hit that mana curve I suppose you could run methods to play more land with green spells or drop more than one land/fetch, but may mess with other trolling.)
Statistically it works, 33% of the time.

Geeklet

Thats not troll, that is just turbo fog. It actually saw some play in Standard for a little while.

Drake Valentine

I don't think there was that many fog variations in standard though, except obviously fog that gets reprinted every set and maybe that other fog spell that did populate, but that has fallen off. Not sure if there is another fog variation in Theroes/Khans block.

And poor Hedron crab has yet to be reprinted, he is obviously a part of the power ten.

Geeklet

But there was Snapcaster Mage, which allowed you to recast fogs from your graveyard. And Elixer of Immortality, to reshuffle your own graveyard into your library.

Hemingway

Speaking of the infamous Snapcaster, did you see the Dualcaster from the latest Commander set? It alone was responsible for driving up the price of the red deck. It's similar to the Snapcaster in cost and in that it has flash, but it copies spells rather than enabling flashback. I'd love to do a Dualcaster / Snapcaster deck. Caster bros!

Would be expensive, though.

Geeklet

Quote from: Hemingway on January 11, 2015, 02:08:28 PM
Speaking of the infamous Snapcaster, did you see the Dualcaster from the latest Commander set? It alone was responsible for driving up the price of the red deck. It's similar to the Snapcaster in cost and in that it has flash, but it copies spells rather than enabling flashback. I'd love to do a Dualcaster / Snapcaster deck. Caster bros!

Would be expensive, though.

Im sure the inclusion of Wurmcoil Engine didn't hurt the price either. And the fact that the two new legendaries are insane.

Dimir

Just paid two dollars for Nefarox. Will go nicely in my black commander deck and the art is amazing.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on January 11, 2015, 02:22:20 PM
Im sure the inclusion of Wurmcoil Engine didn't hurt the price either. And the fact that the two new legendaries are insane.

All I know is that deck could be used for some serious shenanigans. I still mostly blame the Dualcaster, though. It's not as expensive as the Wurmcoil - let alone the Snapcaster - but it is unique to the Commander deck!

I went with the white and green ones, though. Stoneforge Mystic has got to be one of my favorite cards in Magic, and having essentially a Stoneforge Mystic planeswalker is cool in and of itself.

Drake Valentine

Are you talking about the red commander deck?

I actually played with it, but don't think I drew the snapcaster  dualcaster dude with few games with friends. Wurmcoil was a faithful ally.

I say, by itself without modifications, the commander deck is pretty sick with that planeswalker for General. There is so much comboing going off that it is just insane.

A friend of mine was running white commander deck with some modifications. He dropped that white creature that makes your life total become starting life total if it was less(which he was at 14 and jump to 40)

My turn, I had been flicking the artifact(by sacking it over and over again with golem damaging guy, since I ultimate planeswalker and it kept reentering at endstep) that puts out 4(?) tokens and automatically does damage equal to number of tapped tokens it creates when attacking to defending player before combat damage on top of getting +1 / +1 boosts to number of tokens. I had like over 20 of them. Also had the golem guy where you sac a permanent it does damage equal to converted mana cost for 4(?) mana.

Regardless, I did over 40 damage out of no where from number of tokens and then sac-ing two 6+ converted mana cost artifacts that came back regardless at end step.

Sorry, don't remember all their names off hand, since I just got the deck due to everyone wanting to play Commander.

That deck has so much draw power for pure red/artifact that is is crazy.

Hemingway

I don't think Commander is where the Dualcaster would really shine.

My impression is that the red commander deck really has the most combo potential of any of the new ones out of the box. I forget which creatures do what, but if I'm not mistaken you could just go on saccing and returning the Wyrmcoil ( scoring wyrm tokens in the process ) more or less endlessly.

This is why I run plenty of boardwipes. ;D

Eranil Morathim

I just recently started playing again. initially started during Prophecy, quit during Ravnica. I wasn't a fan of the split mana cost,made building decks too easy for some "snotty rich kid rookie" in my mind. pretty sure none of my decks are legal but i have a sick elfball without a single mountain, and a mono blue control/mill that was originally built aroun traumatize and scalplexis. most people i play hate them both.

Sprikut

I dont understand the hate for mill. Its really not too bad. You're inherently making the game harder for yourself! D: 60 damage is alot harder to do the 20...