Marvel Comics in Film: What Might the Future Hold?

Started by Mathim, June 20, 2013, 05:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

What I had meant by tragic hero is, it seems like more bad shit happens to Daredevil than Spidey (at least from what the movies showed). Daredevil seems more unlucky and to go through lots more losses of friends and stuff, plus unlike Spidey he's got a defined weakness to be exploited (sound).
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Moraline

A TV series based on the Inhumans might be fun.

Also, I'd like to see Planet Hulk made into a feature film.

Oniya

Hm... the guy in front of the fish-man looks mighty tasty.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mathim

Teams definitely reek of being better as TV series...X-Men usually manages to do a decent job, though. And the Avengers. But they're all already popular enough that people know a lot about them. Lesser-knowns might not fare so well which is why I'm really worried about Guardians of the Galaxy.

Is anyone else wishing they'd let comic fans write the scripts instead of comic writers? Let the writers do the comics and the fans do the movies, and see if what steaming piles of crap the 'professionals' have produced (Elektra, both Ghost Rider films, and the F4 catastrophes, among others) can compare.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on July 05, 2013, 01:09:46 PM
Teams definitely reek of being better as TV series...X-Men usually manages to do a decent job, though. And the Avengers. But they're all already popular enough that people know a lot about them. Lesser-knowns might not fare so well which is why I'm really worried about Guardians of the Galaxy.

Is anyone else wishing they'd let comic fans write the scripts instead of comic writers? Let the writers do the comics and the fans do the movies, and see if what steaming piles of crap the 'professionals' have produced (Elektra, both Ghost Rider films, and the F4 catastrophes, among others) can compare.
No, not really, because you're not actually alleviating any of the problems regarding comic-book movies.

I'd have to think one would be really naive to think that comic-book fans aren't just going to jump on the fan or group of fans who write the script and call them things like "no true fan" or whatnot if the movie bombs, which at least if it bombs with a professional writer it will look like they at least tried. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Were all of those written by the comic writers, though?  Or just Hollywood writers?  I'll admit I don't know enough of the industry names to check this one myself.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Chris Brady

Actually, given that Joss Whedon (no matter what I think of him as TV show writer director) did write for Marvel at one point, I'm inclined to think that the issue is more Hollywood as opposed to actual Comic Writers...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Mathim

Quote from: Oniya on July 05, 2013, 01:17:57 PM
Were all of those written by the comic writers, though?  Or just Hollywood writers?  I'll admit I don't know enough of the industry names to check this one myself.

I'm not actually sure what proportion were...but I guess it's fair to say just 'pro' writers in general, who can't identify with the source material enough to make a cohesive final product. That sure as hell seems to be what happened when they allowed Shane Black to co-write and direct Iron Man 3. Rarely do we get a Joss Whedon-level product from someone who is supposedly talented enough to be a big name in the industry. I'd just like to see the flip side of that coin for once. If a film is going to bomb, it's going to bomb. I just wonder if as Stan Lee puts it, True Believers can really bring the spirit of the comics to the screen in a more meaningful way.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Mathim on July 05, 2013, 10:14:50 AM
What I had meant by tragic hero is, it seems like more bad shit happens to Daredevil than Spidey (at least from what the movies showed). Daredevil seems more unlucky and to go through lots more losses of friends and stuff, plus unlike Spidey he's got a defined weakness to be exploited (sound).
given the crap that's happened to both of them, Horn Head might seem worse off cuz most of the ones he loved seem to be getting killed.  Spidey seems to mainly have women troubles in comparison.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Mathim

That's what I was getting at. Plus it seems like DD has a worse reputation than Spidey anyway, so he's got that going against him too.

Oniya

Spidey's reputation sort of varies, depending on how JJJ is feeling in any given timeline.  ;D

Mathim

Besides Jameson, though, I don't know a lot of people (outside of supervillains) who think too badly of him.

Oniya

I seem to recall that there were timelines where J. Jonah had more influence than other timelines.  It's been a while, though.

Mathim

And also timelines where he happily supported Spider-Man. Like the Ultimate Comics version.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Moraline on July 05, 2013, 12:58:15 PM

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. I mean. I liked this book but...I don't think it translates well into film unless you want to try to dust off M. Night Shyamalan.

Quote from: Oniya on July 05, 2013, 01:02:10 PM
Hm... the guy in front of the fish-man looks mighty tasty.

Gorgon? I'd rather play with Black Bolt. If you make him produce a single noise the universe blows up. Sort of like the ultimate "don't push this button" gag.

On an unrelated note, still waiting on my Storm movie. It'll happen if I live long enough for everyone to forget her portrayal in the Brian Singer films. Sigh.

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Mathim

Is she fascinating enough for her own movie? I mean, she might be, I don't know a whole lot about her except that she married Black Panther at one point. Still, that would muddle things if they were to cross universes since the company that controls the Avengers characters (who I'd heard were the ones holding Black Panther's rights) isn't the same as the one controlling X-Men's rights.

RedPhoenix

Storm as T'Chala's wife is not that interesting, I really wish they'd never gone that way and nobody will ever convince me it wasn't just "hey shouldn't our two black heroes hook up or something?" and I've never seen a single thing that would tell me it was ever anything more than that.

Storm as an earth mother goddess infested with an alien queen being tossed around by solar winds she can barely control in the far reaches of space and soul binding with giant space whales to overthrow alien tyranny, or Storm traveling to an alternate dimension of vikings whose planet is kept safe by a shield powered by lightning that is failing in the face of reptilian alien invasions and falling in love with the viking king while there and saving multiple worlds, or Storm flying into Dr. Doom's murder castle and demanding that he release the villains he's captured to extract revenge on, getting paralyzed by one of Doom's toys, and then having to control the massive disastrous hurricane she's summoned before she goes all dark phoenix on everything...those Storms were awesome.

I haven't actually read any comic books in awhile, but Storm used to be amazing. I'm sure she's terrible now like everything in comics these days seems to be terrible.

Vorian

I read it as 'African' rather than 'black', but yeah, that does seem to be the extent of it.

Last I heard Cyclops talked her into staying with his band of villains, but she still has her moments.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Vorian on July 06, 2013, 02:21:07 PM
Cyclops ... band of villains

... what.

No don't tell me it will just make me angry.

Vorian

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 06, 2013, 03:10:55 PM
... what.

To be fair, they were supposed to be redeemed villains, but yeah. Seems to be headed downhill fast.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas

Chris Brady

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 06, 2013, 03:10:55 PM
... what.

It's a common misconception, because Cyclops had become something of a hardass.  But every action he's taken (outside of the corrupted Phoenix bit) has been pretty much justified because the rest of the world forces him to be.

First, the remaining mutants are gathered up at the old home.  Then anti-mutant bigots show up.  So instead of attacking, they leave.  San Fransisco's Mayor invites them, saying, "hey yeah, you're welcome here." (and actually meant it), then the bigots come back.  And so the Mutants leave.  This time, the Sub-Mariner says, "Hey, guys?  I have this island in my waters that, honestly, we're never going to do anything with, so come on over, and stay there.  You've been cool with me, just turning back the favour."

And what happens next?  A U.S. Government sanction Sentinel SHOWS UP!  In, by the way, sovereign and INTERNATIONAL waters.  Where they do not have any authority.  At which point Cyclops says "No.  We're staying here."

Even later, the AVENGERS show up when the heard that the Phoenix force is coming back for a mutant.  And Cap says they want to shoot said mutant into space to 'save earth'.  And we all know how well THAT worked out when they sent the Hulk skyward.  Scott said, "Uh, no."  Mainly because if the Phoenix Force gets it's host, and it STILL wants to destroy the Earth?  Guess what?  Earth goes boom!

And when the Avengers (Tony Stark) manage to split the Phoenix into 5 separate entities and Cyclops becomes one of the hosts, does he go after the bigots?  Nope, he goes around helping the world.  On a geological level, letting people live their lives.  He just tried to make it better.

So in all, I'm quite willing to wear a shirt in big bold letters claiming:  Scott was right

Vorian

I was actually referring primarily to the fact that most of the notable people still with him are traditionally, and best know as, villains, or powered by villains. I'm not up to date enough to judge whether he's crossed the line yet or not. I do feel like he's been acting more and more like Magneto lately, though. Enough to worry me a bit, anyway.

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 06, 2013, 06:15:35 PM
Even later, the AVENGERS show up when the heard that the Phoenix force is coming back for a mutant.  And Cap says they want to shoot said mutant into space to 'save earth'.  And we all know how well THAT worked out when they sent the Hulk skyward.  Scott said, "Uh, no."  Mainly because if the Phoenix Force gets it's host, and it STILL wants to destroy the Earth?  Guess what?  Earth goes boom!

They just don't learn, do they?
Ideas

ShadowFox89

Marvel Answer to everything #44: SHOOT IT INTO SPACE!
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Moraline

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 06, 2013, 06:15:35 PM
So in all, I'm quite willing to wear a shirt in big bold letters claiming:  Scott was right

Hmmm. Okay I agree with you and I'm not angry, thanks Chris! :)

And uh, yeah, shooting the Phoenix force into space to keep yourself safe from her? Um.... ???